Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Giancarlo Esposito
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Indeed, Daniel was on the 'slight' side before he was cast.
  • Hi, wondering if anyone would be interested in joining BBC WHYS radio discussion on whether it matters if Bond is black, at 1800GMT? You can email me [email protected]
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    Michael Fassebender! But he has to come in soon, otherwise we will be old.
    If we continue on the "blond" segment why not Chris Hemsworth?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Fassbender is tied up with other commitments to be Bond.

It's a real shame Christian Bale is unlikely to take on the role, he would have been fantastic.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Fassbender is tied up with other commitments to be Bond.

It's a real shame Christian Bale is unlikely to take on the role, he would have been fantastic.

Agreed. Bale was stolen from us for the Bat. While I love Craig, I think Bale would have been absolutely awesome as well. Whenever I see his Wayne in a suit, I think Bond.
    After watching Exodus that's when I became really convinced he'd make an awesome Bond. There's a scene where Moses is talking to the viceroy and his accent bizarrely changes to more British and the way he behaves in terms if his confidence and mannerisms I could see what am amazing Bond he could be.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    I've thought he'd be amazing since I saw him in American Psycho. Very charismatic actor. Edgy and yet stylish. I haven't seen Exodus yet, but it's on my list.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If Craig and everyone are suddenly unavailable for Bond 25...

Penny-Dreadful-Timothy-Dalton-Group-16x9-1.jpg

edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883

The man still looks good. I'd love to seem back for one, even if it's an NSNA rogue adventure. With all the spy flicks out this year, I'm surprised he was not cast for a supporting role in any of them. Mark Strong is in at least a few, as is Michael Caine. He'd make an excellent 'M'.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2014 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames I hoped Dalton would have been chosen as Alfred for Affleck Batman tenure.
    @bondjames I hoped Dalton would have been chosen as Alfred for Affleck Batman tenure.

Yes, that would have worked. It looks like that still is from Penny Dreadful, which I've not seen yet. It's a pretty well received show from what I've heard, so hopefully Dalts gets back on people's radar. I have a feeling we'll see more of him in something big soon.

• edited December 2014 Posts: 163
    I have a question, it might be stupid but I'm going to say it anyway. EON has the rights for Ian Fleming's James Bond 007, right ? That's what it says on every Bond movie poster. So they have the rights to use Fleming's character. But if you make Bond black, he is a new and different character, because that's not how Fleming describes him in the books. In a way, they would plagiarize Fleming... or themselves because they have the rights over Bond (I think). Or not ?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I have a question, it might be stupid but I'm going to say it anyway. EON has the rights for Ian Fleming's James Bond 007, right ? That's what it says on every Bond movie poster. So they have the rights to use Fleming's character. But if you make Bond black, he is a new and different character, because that's not how Fleming describes him in the books. In a way, they would plagiarize Fleming... or themselves because they have the rights over Bond (I think). Or not ?

No, it doesn't work that way. No matter if the actor is black, Asian, American, or whatever...if he's 007, he's Fleming's character. Period. However, the name itself can't be copyrighted: The X-Files had a character named James "Jimmy" Bond.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 11,425

You read my mind. Have been saying it for years - bring back The Daltonator!
  • AVBAVB
    edited December 2014 Posts: 97
    I think there's only one - and that is Fassbender. Cavill, Goode may the part but lack any sense of danger of mystery. Fassy has it all; acting ability, looks, edge....height.

Hardy is too much of a prole, which is a problem I have with Craig. He doesn't know his Bollinger 52', that's for sure. Idris Elba has that same issue. He's got absolutely no sophistication or Bondian quality. Race issue aside, I don't think anyone can honestly say he's Bond material with a straight face. As for skin colour - I guess it's less relevant now that Bond be white, if you're willing to erase his literary background, but then you may aswell cast Superman and Batman as black people. Fair enough, but perhaps people just need to write Black action heroe to reflect the modern era?

• Hope it's not gonna be Rupert Friend. His features are very severe and on top of that, I don't think he's the best actor...
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 591
    Aaron Taylor Johnson, anyone? (He'll be about 29-30 when production for Bond 26 would begin if they stick to the three year production schedule and Craig leaves after Bond 25.

article-0-1B503ECA000005DC-581_640x879.jpg
    Taylor-Johnson's giving a nice Don Draper vibe there. My issue with him is that sometimes his action's really good and on that rare occasion when it's not so good, it's almost really bad I.e. Godzilla.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    If this is the guy from Godzilla then I'm not a fan. He did not demonstrate any charisma in that movie. I found myself longing for more scenes with Bryan Cranston...... To me he seems from the uncharismatic beefcake school like Jai Courtney, Sam Worthington and Colin Farrell IMO.

Bond going forward needs some depth, some mystery & some danger to him. It has to be in the face, and it has to be in the acting. That's why I'm a big supporter of Jamie Dornan (as mentioned on here before).
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 14,831
    He sure has the right look, age, height... I don't know about his acting and he is very young now, but that is an interesting find. And he is from High Wycombe, almost my neighbour!

Reservation: maybe he is too famous already?
    bondjames wrote: »
    If this is the guy from Godzilla then I'm not a fan. He did not demonstrate any charisma in that movie. I found myself longing for more scenes with Bryan Cranston...... To me he seems from the uncharismatic beefcake school like Jai Courtney, Sam Worthington and Colin Farrell IMO.

Bond going forward needs some depth, some mystery & some danger to him. It has to be in the face, and it has to be in the acting. That's why I'm a big supporter of Jamie Dornan (as mentioned on here before).

I'm with you on Dornan. The guy's a great actor and where as I originally started watching the fall fir Gillingham Anderson (who I think needs to be in a Bond film) Dornan stole the show with his performance. He'd make a fantastic Bond. He has similar looks to Henry Cavil but has the acting chops as a worthy successor to Craig.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

I'm with you on Dornan. The guy's a great actor and where as I originally started watching the fall fir Gillingham Anderson (who I think needs to be in a Bond film) Dornan stole the show with his performance. He'd make a fantastic Bond. He has similar looks to Henry Cavil but has the acting chops as a worthy successor to Craig.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I want Anderson in Bond too. She's great in Hannibal as well.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Not sure Dornan has proved he has the range yet, and 50 Shades could leave him as damaged goods. One to keep an eye on though .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/11322526/Jamie-Dornan-gambling-with-career-with-Fifty-Shades-of-Grey-role.html

Also, can he do an English accent?
    o-JAMIE-DORNAN-ADS-570.jpg?7
    o-JAMIE-DORNAN-ADS-570.jpg?1

"Oh, James..."
    That's Bond material there. I just saw Fall 2 and he was very good in it. Looking forward to 50 Shades of Grey.
    He undoubtedly has the look and I strongly suspect Babs will have her eyes on him already. I think things will depend on how 50 Shades pans out, whether his career really takes off etc.

If 50 Shades is panned then he may be damaged goods. If it does well he might appear to have gone beyond Bond.

Having said that, Craig has elevated Bond to a new status for actors. The role might now be appealling to A-listers and potential A-listers, rather than the unknowns and B-movie/TV stars EON has tradionally gone for.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Craig got Bond despite his fair share of duffs. If 50 Shades fails he will be back on track with The Fall 3. He is definitely good enough to make it on the big screen
    I think the future James Bond is most likely an unknown now and will be when cast. Craig was a veteran actor but not a very famous one, certainly not a big star.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I think the future James Bond is most likely an unknown now and will be when cast. Craig was a veteran actor but not a very famous one, certainly not a big star.

That's a possibility, but I don't think EON will care so much if the actor is famous or not (at least as long as Babs is at the helm). I think they will be more concerned with whether they can bring the right portrayal that they are looking for (given the direction they want to go in) to the screen.

She did evaluate Hugh Jackman before Craig was cast, for example, and cast him aside as "too fey". Colin Farrell was apparently "too sleazy", Eric Bana "not handsome enough" and Ewan McGregor "too short"

Given the above, I think she made the right choice (although I think Bana could have brought something to the table).