Idris Elba considered for James Bond

Comments

• I think Idris would be an awesome choice as the next Bond. Sadly with the furor that happened due to Daniel having blonde hair, I don't think they'd ever be brave enough to go down this route.

Ordinarily, I'd have said no to his casting, though after watching Luthor, my immediate though was..."Damn, this guy would make a good Bond."

With that said, he would be getting a little long in the tooth by the time Daniel steps down, though as they say "black don't crack."
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 4,622

Demographics is destiny. Which means, among other things, and in microcosm, individuals of given races tend strongly to display certain behavioral characteristics, to possess certain physical characteristics and abilities, and to have--or not--certain aptitudes. These facts spring from the historical verity that groups of peoples (races) have distinct evolutionary/genetic histories that are conditioned by discrete environmental circumstances regnant in the continents in which they evolved. Our own eyes confirm these disparities, and Himalayan ranges of evidence cinch the observations.

Yes, the overweening emphasis on the historical "evils" of whitey, while studiously ignoring the crushing mass of white male contributions to the civilization white males built bespeaks the obvious anti-white racism that suffuses the entertainment world. The obverse is the laughable cultural affirmative action which portrays blacks--almost without exception--as victims meriting pity, or as saintly, just and sapiental demi-gods the rest of us should bow down to and worship. If you cannot see this then you are blind, or, much the same, have been so brainwashed by the dominant culture that you are incapable of judging it.
    Happy New Year Khanners!
    Always enjoy your learned and erudite contributions to the humble board musings.

As I suggested earlier Bond must be cast in the Fleming mold.
    Anything else is insanity, or worse, PC run amok...to wit Amy Pascal at Sony, who hasn't a clue when it comes to what Bond is all about.
    But as I said earlier, eventually the Bond persona will be thrown wide open, much like Holmes and other cultural icons, and we'll see all sorts of different takes on Bond.
    The market will decide what flies.
    Somehow I think Bond as presented by Fleming will always dominate the Bond landscape
    There really isn't much latitude with this character.
    Bond is what he is.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    If you have seen anything that contravenes the forum rules, flag it and we will take the appropriate action.

It's blatant racism against the forum rules?
    Sark wrote: »
    If you have seen anything that contravenes the forum rules, flag it and we will take the appropriate action.

Oh will you get over your blatant sanctimonious self.
    Say what you have to say, like a big boy, and stop trying to censor others who have been on these boards, a hell of a lot longer than, since you turned up in full whine.
    I think Idris would be an awesome choice as the next Bond. Sadly with the furor that happened due to Daniel having blonde hair, I don't think they'd ever be brave enough to go down this route.

Ordinarily, I'd have said no to his casting, though after watching Luthor, my immediate though was..."Damn, this guy would make a good Bond."

With that said, he would be getting a little long in the tooth by the time Daniel steps down, though as they say "black don't crack."

All racial considerations aside, Idris Elba is too old for Bond. I would also venture too famous now.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Oh, and one more thing: the white Shaft comparison doesn't work. For one thing Shaft has only been played by one actor while Bond has been played by 6, who all look very different and who all play very different interperetations of the character. And Shaft is defined by his race (black private dick). Bond isn't (people say British secret agent, not white secret agent). Not anymore anyway. In the 50s and 60s sure, Bond's race was a big part of it because you couldn't have a black man who came from a similar background to Bond. In the 50s it was impossible to have a black man in a similar position with a similar background as Bond. But now, in 2014, it's perfectly possible for a black guy to come from the same background as Bond so his skin colour is no more important than his hair colour or eye colour.

Oh and one more thing the Shaft comparison does work. For one thing Shaft has been played by two actors.

Bond has proven more durable as a franchise that's why he's been played by 6 (with due deference to Barry Nelson, David Niven, Bob Holness etc).

Also you seem to be happy comparing apples and oranges in attempt to prove your point. Why are you defining Shaft as 'black private dick' but Bond as 'British secret agent'?

Seems like its fine to define Shaft by his race but not Bond? Why not drying Shaft as 'American private dick' or Bond as 'white secret agent'?

In 2014 it's also very possible to have a white man from the same background as Shaft.

If you are in favour of a black Bond then you have to be happy to accept a white Shaft as well. Can't have one rule for one and one for the other.

Just out of interest can anyone shed any light on whether people would be up in arms if a white man was cast as Shaft?

The only way I could see a white actor playing Shaft is if he could play (and look like) a convincing Black man. Same thing with Othello: Domingo played him in many productions, including Zeffirelli's movie, in which he completely looked the part. (And yes, I understand some stage productions of Othello have the title role played by a white actor while the rest of the cast is Black).

So it is the same with Bond: I could see a non-White playing him, as long as he looks like Bond. Jason Isaacs is Jewish, would that count as non White? A few years ago, he would have been ideal. Now he is too old.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yeah, by the time Idris could step up as Bond, he would be too old for the role.

Again, you can't say it without saying like a bigot, but would I prefer Bond to stay white? Yes. Would I abandon the series and never watch it if a black man played Bond? Absolutely not. It's not something I want, per se, but it's not something I would hate, either. I'd give it a shot. Hell, we weathered through DAD, nothing could be worse than that!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    First of all shaft has been played by one actor. Samuel L Jackson played his nephew in the 2000 film. Secondly, I don't recall Bond being a character or a movie series belonging to an ethnic sub-genre as is the case with Shaft so the comparison doesn't work at all. I want and prefer Bond to remain a white guy, it's what I am used to and what I prefer. It is entirely possible for a man of colour to be Bond but preferably that won't be the case.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I guess ultimately the question should be posed in another way.

Should an actor be eliminated from consideration for the part of James Bond just because he is a minority?

The answer then, is unquestionably, no.

The answer then, is indubitably, yes. A non-white can no more play Bond than a woman can play Superman.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    I guess ultimately the question should be posed in another way.

Should an actor be eliminated from consideration for the part of James Bond just because he is a minority?

The answer then, is unquestionably, no.

The answer then, is indubitably, yes. A non-white can no more play Bond than a woman can play Superman.

You and I are going to have to disagree on this. I don't think a non-white (no matter what ethnicity) should be excluded from consideration.

I'm not advocating for him, as anyone who has read my posts on this issue can see, but I think it would be wrong to exclude them from consideration.

The way I posed the question is critical.
    i think the Bond series has reached a point where a black Bond is a possibility. i wouldnt object if it was the right actor. we had an irishman (imagine what Fleming would have said) so a black actor is not unreasonable.
    Has the films ever put forward Bond's race in a particular scene? I remember the 'fetch my shoes' from DN that Bond said to a black character, but are there any other? Sure Fleming wrote Bond as a white male, but I think book Bond and movie Bond are quite different. The newest films are set in the 2000's where it's a lot more acceptable for minority people to behave like James Bond has been doing for 52 years. The bottom line of my point is that Bond's race has never been an issue in the movies, and you can replace Craig/Brosnan by a black actor without altering the films and how the movie Bond is portrayed. I don't see how saying 'but this opens up the gates for a female Bond, a gay Bond, a handicapped Bond' is relevant because those are much, much bigger changes than a black British Bond. A female Bond for example would totally rewrite the character and the way the films are made, and it would be contrary to everything Bond stands for, movie wise and book wise. A black actor can be written exactly the same way Craig's Bond and Brosnan's Bond were written. A female, gay or handicapped Bond can't, IMO.
    True. Movie Bond and Fleming Bond have departed somewhat over the years, particularly when the CR reboot gave him a newer timeline, and not an upper-class, white Etonian background which belonged in a different era.

However, there has also been a conscious effort to bring back as much of the old Fleming Bond characteristics and flavour from the books, and update it to modern times. This has been easier to do with modernising characters around Bond (Moneypenny and Felix), without doing too much to Bond himself.

Turning Bond black for the sake of it, whether it is for a political agenda, or some exec at Sony thinks the next Bond actor should be black and not white, or whether there is a black actor out there that has the acting chops, charisma, coolness and ruggedness which beats every other white English actor currently available on the market (highly unlikely), the move will be seen as very controversial across the globe, and cause huge debate which will no doubt end up with pissed off fans being called racist, and is a totally unnecessary thing to do the franchise. Why would you change his colour just because you can? Look what this subject does to this forum every time it is brought up? Think what it will do on a larger scale if it actually happened. It would open up all sorts of debates, and would always eventually end up branding someone racist.

I personally don't want to see Bond black, because I am a Fleming purist, and I want to see as much of Fleming's original creation on screen as possible, even in today's modern era of James Bond. Dalton probably came closest to it, but to me Craig still embodies the essence of Fleming's old-fashioned 50's creation, even if a black actor could also have played Bond in CR, QoS and SF.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Sark wrote: »

See it, flag it, we'll deal with it.
    If anyone is ok with Bond changing his skin colour and ethnic background, what would be the difference in also changing his religion too while we are at it. Would anyone object to Bond being Muslim, or being an Islamic fundamentalist? Because this would also accurately represent a British male born in this modern era.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 3,279

Oh, and one more thing: the white Shaft comparison doesn't work. For one thing Shaft has only been played by one actor while Bond has been played by 6, who all look very different and who all play very different interperetations of the character. And Shaft is defined by his race (black private dick). Bond isn't (people say British secret agent, not white secret agent). Not anymore anyway. In the 50s and 60s sure, Bond's race was a big part of it because you couldn't have a black man who came from a similar background to Bond. In the 50s it was impossible to have a black man in a similar position with a similar background as Bond. But now, in 2014, it's perfectly possible for a black guy to come from the same background as Bond so his skin colour is no more important than his hair colour or eye colour.

Oh and one more thing the Shaft comparison does work. For one thing Shaft has been played by two actors.

Bond has proven more durable as a franchise that's why he's been played by 6 (with due deference to Barry Nelson, David Niven, Bob Holness etc).

Also you seem to be happy comparing apples and oranges in attempt to prove your point. Why are you defining Shaft as 'black private dick' but Bond as 'British secret agent'?

Seems like its fine to define Shaft by his race but not Bond? Why not drying Shaft as 'American private dick' or Bond as 'white secret agent'?

In 2014 it's also very possible to have a white man from the same background as Shaft.

If you are in favour of a black Bond then you have to be happy to accept a white Shaft as well. Can't have one rule for one and one for the other.

Just out of interest can anyone shed any light on whether people would be up in arms if a white man was cast as Shaft?
    Well said. Some common sense on here.

And to answer your question, yes I would be up in arms if the next Shaft film was played by a white actor, because Shaft was originally written as a black character. Why would you want to change him, just because it is 2014, and because you can?

Does this make me racist against white people?
    edit - double post

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    It behooves us to be very cautious in this thread.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Very true, and this is only a hypothetical debate.

Imagine how it would be if this was the reality for the next Bond. It would split the Bond fan-base divide far more than Craig's casting ever did in 2005. I could imagine every thread turning into a nasty, heated attack from all sides, with the racism card being dealt at the drop of a hat, with mods frequently issuing warnings and closing threads left, right and centre.
  • It's funny how nobody seemed to go crazy about the fact that Moneypenny is now played by a black actress. Fleming certainly didn't write her that way...but mention a black Bond and everybody loses their minds! ;-)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    It's funny how nobody seemed to go crazy about the fact that Moneypenny is now played by a black actress. Fleming certainly didn't write her that way...but mention a black Bond and everybody loses their minds! ;-)

Yes, maybe the producers are trying to tell us something, too! :)
    It's funny how nobody seemed to go crazy about the fact that Moneypenny is now played by a black actress. Fleming certainly didn't write her that way...but mention a black Bond and everybody loses their minds! ;-)
    Because Moneypenny is only a secondary character, and updating fringe characters is probably appropriate to keeping the franchise modern, the same as Felix was originally written as white in the novels.

• edited December 2014 Posts: 591
    Idris being black is not the problem here. It's his age. If Craig stays on for Bond 25 that means we won't see a new Bond till 2021 (if they continue down the three year production route). Plus Elba is already 42, the age Craig was when production for Skyfall started (HIS THIRD FILM AFTER FOUR YEARS SINCE THE SECOND). Idris would be 46-47 by the time he would start filming.

Also isn't this picture in Elba's response enough to tell you that Elba is too old to be in his first Bond movie in around five years time.

B53-HSBIcAASw4l.jpg
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Incidently I remember seeing Elba DJ'ing at V-Fest in 2013. He was good but I'm not sure I'd associate DJ-ing with the Bond world. Fleming certainly wouldn't :p
    Idris being black is not the problem here. It's his age.
    Well you are partly right. Yes his age is the problem, but also that he is black too, as you can see from the countless posts on here that are objecting to it - and this is only a hypothetical discussion, nothing more. Imagine if this was the reality for the next Bond, and how heated the debate could get.
  • Idris being black is not the problem here. It's his age.
    Well you are partly right. Yes his age is the problem, but also that he is black too, as you can see from the countless posts on here that are objecting to it - and this is only a hypothetical discussion, nothing more. Imagine if this was the reality for the next Bond, and how heated the debate could get.

I would rather see a black Bond than one with a zimmer frame invented by Q.

Why should we have to witness either? Surely there are enough talented young, white English male actors out there on the market so we don't need to have this debate, or has the acting talent pool in the UK suddenly dried up, so the only choice out there when Craig steps down is a 50 year old black man?

• edited December 2014 Posts: 591

Why should we have to witness either? Surely there are enough talented young, white English male actors out there on the market so we don't need to have this debate, or has the acting talent pool in the UK suddenly dried up, so the only choice out there when Craig steps down is a 50 year old black man?

No ones saying we should have one or the other and there are plenty white British actors who could play Bond but it doesn't mean we're only gonna have a black Bond when we run out of white British actors.

Quick note: (I'm not supporting Elba at all but i am supporting the idea of having a much younger black actor)

If they find a black actor whose better than all the white actors, then they're gonna choose him. In summary (this isn't directed at you @jetsetwilly btw) his colour shouldn't even be an issue or even debated, but to be honest I am part of a fandom that had people who thought Bond being a blonde was a problem.
  • RC7RC7
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Very true, and this is only a hypothetical debate.

Imagine how it would be if this was the reality for the next Bond. It would split the Bond fan-base divide far more than Craig's casting ever did in 2005. I could imagine every thread turning into a nasty, heated attack from all sides, with the racism card being dealt at the drop of a hat, with mods frequently issuing warnings and closing threads left, right and centre.

People are called racist on here when they are. Simple as that. Most if not all forum members suggesting a black Bond is possible want Bond to remain as Fleming intended, white. The only people who lose their shit are the bigots who can't deal with this conversation.

If they find a black actor whose better than all the white actors, then they're gonna choose him. In summary (this isn't directed at you @jetsetwilly btw) his colour shouldn't even be an issue or even debated, but to be honest I am part of a fandom that had people who thought Bond being a blonde was a problem.
    I actually had a problem with Craig being blonde too, but again I'm a Fleming purist, and want to see a portrayal of Bond as accurate to Fleming's description as possible, including the dark hair with the dark comma above the right eyebrow. Fortunately Craig's hair is so short you don't really notice he is blonde.

As for a young black English actor who is a far better choice than any other white male
    English actor available on the market, you know that is never going to happen.

The acting pool is a never-ending supply of talent - always has been, and always will be.
This discussion has been closed.