Do the Connery films( DN,FRWL,GF,TB) seem dated to you?

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Quite. Apart from OHMSS, the 60's Bond films, are not really dated, sans the special effects etc.

The 70's Bond movies are quite dated, in comparison - just look at their fashion. Which is a shame, as I feel the Bond pictures are timeless
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Thank goodness we never saw Bond in ill fitting double breasted suits....I think Dalton came close. I seem to recall some rather poor fitting jackets with shoulder pads in parts of LTK.

Thankfully we had that hiatus and when they came back, Brosnan was in Brioni
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    Yes, Bond is not interested in fashion. He goes for a classic, timeless look. Well fitted, single breasted suits ,preferably grey - can't go wrong. Bond's tastes are conservative but also refined.

I'd add the caveat "When done well."

Well fitted/well done. But yes, obviously it has to be well done to be err, well done.
  • I find them very dated and slow compared to more recent movies and I feel they are overated and living on reputation, I find dr no and from Russia with love particularly dated, goldfinger and thunderball are easier to view though they also show there age. I do think connery was magnificent as bond though and perhaps the best.
    Overrated? You must be joking.
    I find Dr. No rather dated.
    Dated? 50 plus years later? Certainly.
    Funny old cars, pay phones, communication devices the size of a loaf of bread. Buttons and toggle switches. Crude rear screen projection. Name it, all sorts of stuff we of 2015 can look back on with a contemporary smugness and a touch of embarrassment.

Bond films have always been emblematic of their times and often a little ahead. That they reflect the issues, ideas, fashions, and style of the year in which they were made, then yes, that makes them dated.

Does that detract from the enjoyment?
    Well, in that case Shakespeare is dated. Star crossed lovers? A prince in Denmark whose uncle is chosen as the new king instead of himself? A ghost that tells the identity of his murderer? Italians who talk with perfect Elizabethan English? All dated, I tell you.
  • They are dated like Wine! Precious for preservation!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    A lot less dated than the majority of Moore's entries, the fashions in Rog's film do them no favours although DAF looks terribly dated as well as being a downright awful film with a cracking title tune and great score.
    They are dated like Wine! Precious for preservation!

Exactly.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 317
    All of the films before the Daniel Craig era seem dated but I still love them all the same. As others have said "classic" is a better word. :-o
  • Considering they are 4 of the best films in the series, absolutely not. Sure, they show their age in a few places, but they're hardly "dated" in a derogatory sense.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Yes totally dated. Like a fine wine.

• edited December 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote: »
    Yes totally dated. Like a fine wine.

Indeed.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I think if the Bond vs Grant fight was made/filmed in 2014, it would look exactly the same as it did in 1963. This fight is so well made and ahead of it's time, it looks modern even though it's 51 years old.
    I think if the Bond vs Grant fight was made/filmed in 2014, it would look exactly the same as it did in 1963. This fight is so well made and ahead of it's time, it looks modern even though it's 51 years old.

And it has not been equalled since. Not in Bond movies, not in any movie.
    I think if the Bond vs Grant fight was made/filmed in 2014, it would look exactly the same as it did in 1963. This fight is so well made and ahead of it's time, it looks modern even though it's 51 years old

Watched FRWL again last night. This is a very good fight scene. The biggest change we would find today is in sound FX editing. Punches would thump and crackle more, and
    furniture, doors, and windows would all break with much more explosiveness.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I would even dare to say that in a few year the 'speed ramps' in DAD and maybe the lighting fast editing in QOS will look more 'dated' than the Grant fight.
    I would even dare to say that in a few year the 'speed ramps' in DAD and maybe the lighting fast editing in QOS will look more 'dated' than the Grant fight.

Absolutely. That fight is timeless. Even the lighting (dark, moody) suits it perfectly. One of the greatest imo.

I'd even say they look dated now.
    I love stepping back in time with earlier Bond movies! A truly great escape!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I believe that the 60's is the best decade ever concerning movies.

Not one Bond movie of the 60's looks or feels dated. They are all timeless classics.
    In the 70's that changed immediately and for me the 70's is the worst decade by far when it comes to movies.

Even the special effects in DN to TB still hold up very well, even on High Definition.
    Connery is one of the true classic Hollywood stars.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 553
    All the president's men, Network, Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, two Godfather films, the Conversation, Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, One Flew over the cuckoo's nest, Chinatown, Five Easy Pieces, Vanishing Point, Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Annie Hall, Manhattan, Love and Death

Yeah....worse decade ever
    All the president's men, Network, Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, two Godfather films, the Conversation, Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, One Flew over the cuckoo's nest, Chinatown, Five Easy Pieces, Vanishing Point, Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Annie Hall, Manhattan, Love and Death

I think he meant for James Bond. I hope so anyway.
  • I really don't think he did....and the worst thing is that the list I just compiled omits dozens of classics...The French Connection, MASH...the list seems endless.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

Then tell me which decades are less good than the 70's.
  • All of them..the 70s is the finest decade for quality English language film we've ever had
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Aesthetically the 70's does appear somewhat drab and dated to me as well, but there's no doubt that content wise some of the best films ever have come out of that time.

They were not afraid to take risks with plot, or have heroes that couldn't get into a golf club or a nightclub, or give us downer endings.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    With the quality of Blurays which makes them look like they
    were filmed last year. IMHO they looks like Period pieces, like
    ( The Man from Uncle) ;) is set in the 60s. :)