New members - introduce yourself

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Wecome back, Jerseyman!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Welcome, all new and returning members! :) Lots to discuss, eh? Dive right in.
  • DannyBoy1994DannyBoy1994 Wales
    Hi, new member here. Been following the site for a while, thought it was time to sign up!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Welcome @DannyBoy1994... your name makes me think of Predator 2! :\">
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Welcome DannyBoy1994 :)
  • DannyBoy1994DannyBoy1994 Wales
    Thank you both! @chrisisall I've never thought of it like that before!
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    edited December 2014 Posts: 1,138
    Sark here. If you watched Alias back in the day you know who Sark is. I live in the South Eastern USA (any more specific than that is classified, although if another fan is nearby I could buy them a drink) for the next couple of months. My fandom started a bit oddly, in that I got this book

518OuZO3fRL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

before I'd ever seen one of the films. While for some people reading a philosophical, religious or political text changes the course of their life, this book did it for me ;) The first film I saw was AVTAK-I can hardly believe I became a fan after that one. I remember by logic being "well I don't want one of the old ones, but my mom may not let me get a PG-13 one, so this seems like the newest." Shortly thereafter ABC did their big promotion where every Saturday night they showed a Bond film with commentary in between. I taped them and watched them repeatedly.
    I remember being monumentally disappointed with DAD, and then the long wait for CR. I was not in the original DCINB contingent, I figured EON knew better than me. And then CR came out and it was brilliant (although about 15 minutes too long). QoS and SF however have found themselves being rewatched less often however.
    I've been active on reddit.com/r/JamesBond but wanted to be part of a more dedicated community.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Welcome Sark. :)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Good to have you @Sark. I like to think we encourage and promote debate. There are plenty who agree with you about SF, so you should find the SF sub section to your liking.
    Welcome to the new members. Legs on the table, and feel at home!
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited December 2014 Posts: 2,138
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »

I'd be very interested to hear what those are, @TripAces. PM me if they're top secret!

I can say this: one is an analysis of sport in the Bond films; the other looks at the role elevators/lifts play in the films. To better understand the latter, read Andreas Bernard's book, Lifted: A Cultural History of the Elevator. It's fascinating stuff.

Thank you for that - those sound fascinating! Where will they be published?

Hi, bit of insight for you then, the Shanghai scenes in Skyfall were actually filmed in London at The Broadgate Tower here is a website for the details of the Elevator designs used http://jhelevators.co.uk/?gallery=the-broadgate-tower these werre replicated at Pinewood to add in the CGI of Dan hanging from their under carriage.

heres a link to the esculators http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2011/09/21/photos-from-the-17th-floor-of-the-broadgate-tower/ recognise them?
    Wow @Sark, I haven't seen Alias in years! That was one fun show. Welcome!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

I'd be very interested to hear what those are, @TripAces. PM me if they're top secret!

I can say this: one is an analysis of sport in the Bond films; the other looks at the role elevators/lifts play in the films. To better understand the latter, read Andreas Bernard's book, Lifted: A Cultural History of the Elevator. It's fascinating stuff.

Hi, bit of insight for you then, the Shanghai scenes in Skyfall were actually filmed in London at The Broadgate Tower here is a website for the details of the Elevator designs used http://jhelevators.co.uk/?gallery=the-broadgate-tower these werre replicated at Pinewood to add in the CGI of Dan hanging from their under carriage.

heres a link to the esculators http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2011/09/21/photos-from-the-17th-floor-of-the-broadgate-tower/ recognise them?

Thanks for that, Sir Hilary! I try my hand at articles on James Bond too. :)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Awesome. Yes, I have seen some of this. Much my article focuses not only on Skyfall but also DAF. There are four symbolic purposes of the elevtaor in the Bond films, which revolve around status, gender, and danger. Elevators tend to take a character to or through a villain's lair or hideout.

Awesome. Yes, I have seen some of this. Much my article focuses not only on Skyfall but also DAF. There are four symbolic purposes of the elevtaor in the Bond films, which revolve around status, gender, and danger. Elevators tend to take a character to or through a villain's lair or hideout.

Just out of interest, where will these two Bond articles appear?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Hoping: Aethlon and Journal of Popular Culture
  • 0101000101010001 Classified
    I am 01010001, which may hit a light with some of you - it's binary code for Q, that's all. I am not that old, but I've grown up with Bond due to my father's love. I am an English Lit and Culture major and I am currently researching Bond as well (albeit, of course, not on such a high level as a professor would, it's a grad thesis, anyway). I am very happy to have found this forum since I've been dying to discuss some of the plotpoints with other people.
    01110111 01100101 01101100 01100011 01101111 01101101 01100101
    01110111 01100101 01101100 01100011 01101111 01101101 01100101
    That was very gracious of you, welcoming him in his first language.

I do not really speak binary, I had to use a web translator. Such a vast lingua it is.
  • 0101000101010001 Classified
    I do not really speak binary, I had to use a web translator. Such a vast lingua it is.

Haha! Thank you! I don't speak binary either ;) I do know part of the alphabet, though. I'd hardly call it my first language.

Hoping: Aethlon and Journal of Popular Culture

Oh, great! Good luck with them.
  • Hi, I'm Sam and I own Toy de Jour, a vintage and collectibles shop in Chicago. I joined this and a couple other Bond forums today because I am in possession of some rather rare James Bond items that I feel this is the audience that I should be showing it to. I'll be taking pictures and posting them in the Merchandise section of this board when I get to it.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 591
    Hi there, I'm MadeleineSwann, obviously not my real name and I live in London. I thought I'd give this whole Bond discussion. I finished college earlier this year and now have enough time to dedicate to my time to my true love of film and the James Bond franchise.

Following the announcement of Spectre and the cast, I've been itching to discuss the film with people who truly love the franchise as much as I do.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Welcome Madeleine!
  • Hello everyone! Just signed up - excited to check all the updates of the shoot. Can't wait for November!
    Welcome you came to the right place.
  • Hello everyone, I've been here a few weeks but its time you knew me a bit better. Relax, I'm your new boss. :P The name's Blofeld, Oberhauser Blofeld.

Bond facts about me:
    Favourite Bond film: Skyfall/From Russia With Love.

Favourite Bond: Sean Connery.

Favourite Villain: It's got to be Blofeld/Jaws. I mean come on!

Favourite Bond girl: I have a thing for Vesper Lynd. I'm liking the look of Madeleine Swann though already.

Favourite Bond car: Aston Martin DB5 (old school).

Favourite James Bond gadget: Not used by Bond himself, but Rosa Klebb's poison tipped bladed shoes from From Russia With Love.
    Welcome to the new members! We love you already! Step right in.
    Welcome. FQAFC.