Anyone notice Mr. White is back?

Comments

Yes, I was about to make a post suggesting that Eon must have decided to just quietly throw Quantum on to the scrap heap without any kind of wrap up to it all. Now, they will obviously be addressing Quantum, thank God.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 6,844
    This is excellent news. I had hoped Quantum wouldn't simply be dropped from the picture to capitalize on the SPECTRE rights. That certainly would be a curveball if Mr. White was revealed as Blofeld. It would put an incredible new spin on White's scenes in CR and QOS: Blofeld coldly watching Bond mourn over Vesper before taking the briefcase, Blofeld crippled at Bond's feet before his famous line, a captured Blofeld taunting M and Bond before being sprung free. As great as it would be to have Waltz (or Bellucci?) as a long-running Blofeld, part of me really wants it to have been White all along.
  • Well I saw that he's cast as a man named "Oberhausen" so if he is later in the movie revealed as Blofeld that would explain the secrecy I guess.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    If my calculations are correct.
    Oberhausen is a fake name to hide that he is Blofeld. Similar to how John Harrison in Star Trek into Darkness was really Khan.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    That certainly would be a curveball if Mr. White was revealed as Blofeld. It would put an incredible new spin on White's scenes in CR and QOS: Blofeld coldly watching Bond mourn over Vesper before taking the briefcase, Blofeld crippled at Bond's feet before his famous line, a captured Blofeld taunting M and Bond before being sprung free. As great as it would be to have Waltz (or Bellucci?) as a long-running Blofeld, part of me really wants it to have been White all along.

i was just thinking the same thing actually... by doing so, you've already established history between he and Bond from both CR and QOS - no need to go through and concoct a new backstory.. and Mr. White always sounded like a dubious name to begin with.... but that wouldn't just be a curveball, it would be a knuckleball! lol - no one would see that coming, as everyone suspects that Waltz would be ESB.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    echo wrote: »
    My guess is that Waltz is Blofeld too. A two-time Oscar winner is going to want the juicy part, which is always the villain in Bond films. :)

Unless they pull a bait and switch on us like they did with Bryan Cranston in Godzilla :-q

I'm betting it's a bait and switch, and that either Blofeld will not be revealed in SPECTRE, or he will be played by someone not mentioned in the cast list today. I bet it won't be Waltz. Let's revisit one year from now. Waltz's part will be juicy though, but in another way - in the sense that it will stretch him as an actor. Given he's already a two time Oscar winner, I sense that it will be a conflicted role to stretch his acting range, as he has not done that yet.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think it will have at least one twist. I wouldn't be shocked if a double twist.
    Interesting. Great news that Mr W is back. This will really add to the integrity of QoS within the series. Rather than seeming the fag end of the CR story, QoS becomes this integral part of the story arc. It all bolsters my theory that QoS wi one day come to be much more widely appreciated.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 1,778
    I couldn't be happier. Seeing as how the Bond series has a bit of a history with ignoring loose ends I was afraid they had spent two films building up a threat only to abandon it due to the mixed reception of QOS and the opportunity of working with Sam Mendes. Thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe Quantum was a sub-division of Spectre. They certainly covered the "extortion" part of their name. Or maybe Quantum was taken over by Spectre or possibly merged with them. So many questions so few answers.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Mr White being Blofeld is a tantalising possibility. Perhaps "Mr White" is actually the name of his cat...
    I couldn't be happier. Seeing as how the Bond series has a bit of a history with ignoring loose ends I was afraid they had spent two films building up a threat only to abandon it due to the mixed reception of QOS and the opportunity of working with Sam Mendes. Thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe Quantum was a sub-division of Spectre. They certainly covered the "extortion" part of their name. Or maybe Quantum was taken over by Spectre or possibly merged with them. So many questions so few answers.

My thoughts exactly! It really is great news! :-bd
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    A fine piece of new to learn that Mr.White is returning. Would be silly to completely write Quantum out of the picture after SF.
    Though has it been confirmed other than Wikipedia? I'm not saying I don't believe this news. But can't anyone edit the wiki pages?
    Has anyone noticed that the Craig films are following a similar style to the first Connery films.
    DN, FRWL, both contain Spectre operatives. GF is a stand alone film with a lone villain out for his own greed. TB is back to fighting Spectre.
    CR and QOS Bond is up against Quantum, SF is a stand alone film with a lone villain out for revenge. SP is Bond fighting Spectre once more, but possibly Quantum as well.
  • Off course; it all makes sense. The story with mister White and Quantum was not finished after 'Quantum of Solace'. When mister White is captured at the beginning of the movie and says to M (the beloved Judi Dench by that time) 'you really have no idea who we are' and laughs, it's obvious now (I guess :) ) that Quantum is or is part of Spectre and that the new movie will go about this. Will we really see Blofeld ?? Not sure ... or at least I don't think he will die in 'Spectre'. Looking forward to November 2015 !
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Benny wrote: »
    A fine piece of new to learn that Mr.White is returning. Would be silly to completely write Quantum out of the picture after SF.
    Though has it been confirmed other than Wikipedia? I'm not saying I don't believe this news. But can't anyone edit the wiki pages?

Actor Jesper Christensen confirmed it himself to a Danish newspaper, so yeah… its pretty watertight!

http://www.euroman.dk/kultur/film/jesper-christensen-skal-vare-james-bond-skurk-for-tredje-gang/
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I thought it would be @jobo. But I'm always a little sceptical of something posted on Wikipedia as being fact until shown otherwise.
    Just like I don't hold to much merit in the score on Rotten Tomatoes as being an indication of a film being good or bad. ;)
    I like Mr.White and look forward to see what he's been upto and who he might be.
  • Getafix wrote: »
    Interesting. Great news that Mr W is back. This will really add to the integrity of QoS within the series. Rather than seeming the fag end of the CR story, QoS becomes this integral part of the story arc. It all bolsters my theory that QoS wi one day come to be much more widely appreciated.

I agree. Did not seem a great movie the first time I saw it, but there is actually more story than one might think. If the new movie confirms this, than QoS is probably an in-between movie between CR and SPECTRE and therefore deserves a little more credit.
    David81 wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »

I agree. Did not seem a great movie the first time I saw it, but there is actually more story than one might think. If the new movie confirms this, than QoS is probably an in-between movie between CR and SPECTRE and therefore deserves a little more credit.

I've always liked QoS, but I think it and the entire Craig era would really benefit from a little tying of up loose ends. It doesn't need to be a lot - just something that links Quantum to Spectre and a nasty end for Mr. White. I doubt he'll be Blofeld, but who knows. He is a great character. Reminds me of Prof. Dent from Dr. No. More of a weasly minion than an actual mastermind.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,527
    I'm starting to think that Blofeld may just be a faceless guy like the one we got in FRWL and TB. Keep some mystery and you automatically have something to carry on into the next adventure.

Mr White as Blofeld? That would strike me as odd. I'm more inclined to agree with @Getafix that he's better suited as a Prof. Dent kind of guy.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    Mr White as Blofeld? That would strike me as odd. I'm more inclined to agree with @Getafix that he's better suited as a Prof. Dent kind of guy.

This here ^^ . White is just not a strong enough character to be Blofeld. Waltz as Blofeld would be a far better fit.

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    My guess is that Waltz is Blofeld too. A two-time Oscar winner is going to want the juicy part, which is always the villain in Bond films. :)

Unless they pull a bait and switch on us like they did with Bryan Cranston in Godzilla :-q

Which was an old Hitchcock invented trick when he killed his star Janet Leigh in Psycho in the first 10 minutes. The audience at the time were like "What the deuce". But you are right and it has been done again and again.

I want Bond going after White, only to be captured and taken to meet Mr Whites Employer. The back of the chair is turned to Bond "Mr Bond, I have heard so much about you, you have cost me and my organisation a considerable amount of money. Chair turns "For which you will now pay with your life". Bond "Who the hell are you? and what hell are you people". Blofeld "Laughs, turn to Mr White "you were right they really don't have a clue".
  • echo wrote: »

Which was an old Hitchcock invented trick when he killed his star Janet Leigh in Psycho in the first 10 minutes. The audience at the time were like "What the deuce". But you are right and it has been done again and again.

I want Bond going after White, only to be captured and taken to meet Mr Whites Employer. The back of the chair is turned to Bond "Mr Bond, I have heard so much about you, you have cost me and my organisation a considerable amount of money. Chair turns "For which you will now pay with your life". Bond "Who the hell are you? and what hell are you people". Blofeld "Laughs, turn to Mr White "you were right they really don't have a clue".

There's no way Mr. White is going to be Blofeld. First of all they'd probably want to cast a bigger name to play Bond's arch nemesis. Secondly I couldn't imagine Blofeld going off and personally killing Le Cheffre and his thugs. Blofeld wouldn't get his hands dirty like that or take that kind of risk.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

There's no way Mr. White is going to be Blofeld. First of all they'd probably want to cast a bigger name to play Bond's arch nemesis. Secondly I couldn't imagine Blofeld going off and personally killing Le Cheffre and his thugs. Blofeld wouldn't get his hands dirty like that or take that kind of risk.

+1
    David81 wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »

Agreed. It also bring a sense of continuity which we did not have since the early Sean Connery movies.
    I strongly doubt they will reveal Blofeld in the 'first' film. Of course they know how excited we are, and I expect they will try to milk Spectre's return as much as they can, keeping excitement and mystery for later films to reveal. To present Blofeld in character right away would be pretty bad use of publicity…

And of course they will try and surprise us in some manner. They know we are all speculating like crazy… It would actually have been funny (although disappointing...) if Spectre the title had nothing to do with SPECTRE the organization. :) That would have been a cold shower for most fans, and a big 'f*** you' to all the speculators out there! :)) And although its naturally not gonna happen I guess they will be tempted to as the forecasted media "plot scoops" and rumors pop up before release...
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    Isn't that octopus in the bullethole a giveaway? Can't imagine it's not about Spectre.
    Of course the film will be about SPECTRE! But a fun thought is a fun thought! ;)
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    lol! Well, that would be a surprise, only not likely to sit well with the audience.
    Imagine the reaction! :D

It would be an epic joke... which they thankfully won't do... #:-S
  • My guess Mr White is who we know him as and Quantum was set up to investigate SPECTRE and Bonds mother was a member discovered Walt's character was Blofeld. Now SPECTRE is to big and out of control and Mr White on the orders of Lucia sends Bond the cryptic message.

We find out Le Cheiff and Green was SECTRE and Mr White was simply rescuing Bond, because of his mother.

Then again it would be good if Walt's was Franz and it turned out his father was SPECTRE and Blofeld is revealed and the trick is EON till the reveal in the film kept the actor who plays Blofeld secret till then.

It that is so then what a surprise ;-)
    Murdock wrote: »
    I wonder if White will be revealed as Blofeld. He does have that slimy presence to him.

This right here. When he revealed his involvement separately from the other cast members I suspected this. This talk about Christoph Waltz being Blofeld is just to throw people off I think. It would make sense. Remember when Blofeld was first introduced into the film series in FRWL and Thunderball he wasn't completely revealed only shown "in the shadows" so to speak. I believe the script writers have done a similar treatment this time round with Blofeld, albeit in a different manner. Instead of openly revealing him they've had him under the assumed identify of "Mr. White" for the last two films he was in in preparation for revealing him eventually. I figure the producers knew McClory's estate would eventually sell out which is why they have set it up like this. So instead of having him not completely revealed (either from behind or obscured by something) like in the original movies they put a different spin on it and introduced him as someone completely different until it was time to finally reveal Blofeld after all these years. Kinda like drumming up a moment at the finale in this movie when it is finally revealed and all the diehard Bond fans put their hands to their mouths and say something like "NO WAY HE WAS BLOFELD THIS WHOLE TIME"

Sorry to sound cocky but I actually suggested this weeks ago and it quickly got shot down. Mr White just to me sounds to me like an alias plus the white cat connection could be linked. I also proposed the title " Spectre" so I feel quite happy. Id love to think that EON monitor the site for suggestions but I guess I'll never know!