Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Excellent top four, but then you lost me.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I posted this on here last week. No responses until now. I'm interested in hearing other's reactions. Only a Bond fan can appreciate the experience. I find it captivating, I may jump in for a fourth go.

I thought it was very interesting. Gives a unique and compressed look on how the series have evolved with time.

And I think it would be great if they made another video changing the order, beginning with the Skyfall pre titles and ending with Sean and Honey in the boat.
    The problem though is that I am a completely useless when it comes to that sort of operation. :)) I have no idea how you edit movie clips together. :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Thus, once again, DAD is relegated to the bottom. Where I'm fairly sure it will stay. There are parts in this film that are better than anything in A VIEW TO A KILL or MOONRAKER, or several other's, for that matter, but the rest of the movie is just too much of a mess.
    This film is what I like to call a movie you watch more enjoyably while editing in your mind. If you intentionally ignore certain parts, go to the fridge or bathroom at integral moments, and buy into the Robocop 2-like battle ending, you *CAN* have some fun watching.
    Pierce makes it all better than it should be.
    Like Clooney made Batman & Robin better than it should have been.
    Not that that's saying much, though.
    :))
    The thing with Clooney is he became a better actor as he got older. The same goes for Brosnan (though Clooney could still outact him in his sleep in all honesty).
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I too would say TWINE was his best performances (and one of my favourites in the series, and that's coming from a Rogerite and Daltonite!).

But for DAD, Pierce deserved better.
    One of the great tragedies of the series.
  • I sort of agree, but Pierce looks knackered in the film, like he's given up the ghost (no film reference intended) and it's a shame he couldn't lose some weight bearing in mind the beginning of the movie, he gets paid a fortune to do a job.

DAD, like NSNA, could be edited down into an excellent 20-min trailer.

But the chat up between Bond and Jinx is the only scene in movies that actually makes me feel physically ill, it's like the director is intentionally pushing buttons to acquire that effect, and succeeding.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Great reading gents!

Now, to the Dalton Era -

Up until the Airbase Sequence, TLD, is probably my favorite Bondian segment; engaging performance by Dalton; a real Flemingesque story; intricate plotting; entertaining fantasy and great music. Definite top 5 Bond film.

I still prefer LTK however, as it has one of the best rogues gallery, in the series' history.

I really enjoyed the two Dalton films. Superb Mr Bond! Superb!

• Always fun reading your write-ups, @Birdleson. I'm not a fan of Brosnan's performance in TWINE but it isn't bad and I do need to revisit the film in all honesty.

Also, @chrisisall, you really think Clooney improves B&R?! I always thought he was horrible in that movie and I'm a fan of his work generally.
    Also, @chrisisall, you really think Clooney improves B&R?! I always thought he was horrible in that movie and I'm a fan of his work generally.
    I liked his Wayne quite a bit, but he was so horridly directed as Batman... still, the film is chock full of intentional & unintentional laughs!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2014 Posts: 13,894
    Moonraker, after a tecnically impressive opening (Jaws flapping his arms / circus music and tent aside) it all just goes and melts down into a silly mess.

1. From Russia With Love
    2. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    3. The Spy Who Loved Me
    4. Dr No
    5. Thunderball
    6. You Only Live Twice
    7. Live And Let Die
    8. Goldfinger
    9. The Man With The Golden Gun
    ***10. Moonraker***
    11. Diamonds Are Forever
  • It seems I stand alone in defense of Moonraker :(
    I think there's some solid stuff in MR but, let's be honest, it is really a bit crap.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 1,595
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I think there's some solid stuff in MR but, let's be honest, it is really a bit crap.

I think it's great. Maybe I'll write a full review sometime. It's flawed, definitely, but I quite love it.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2014 Posts: 15,691
    MR is great, I love it! Moore seems to be having the time of his life during the movie, never a dull moment due to either classic one-liners, epic music from Barry and breathtaking landscapes and of course some of the funniest 'silly' moments in the franchise.

Any movie with such a track gets thumbs up from me.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I enjoy Moonraker for what it is. Pure mindless fun. As a Bond movie...ehhh. Still watchable.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I liked his Wayne quite a bit, but he was so horridly directed as Batman... still, the film is chock full of intentional & unintentional laughs!

I think Clooney would have made a fine Wayne/Batman in different circumstances. Those circumstances being a production that had proper set design, a strong script, strong supporting cast, and a competent director who, you know, actually knew the source material.
    Just watched TND on Blu Ray... wow do I love this flick.
    It's a PERFECT OTT cinematic Bond IMHO.
    Next up: TOMORROW NEVER DIES
    You were very nice to Octopussy- just remember when watching TND that Bond makes use of what's around, and Carver's stealth boat is loaded with guys with machine guns...
    ;)
    @chrisisall, I know I've seem them somewhere, but could you post your rankings again?

Always in motion are my rankings... :))
    My personal list is easy:
    TLD
    LTK
    TND
    DN
    YOLT
    TWINE
    QOS
    GF
    GE
    OHMSS
    TB
    FRWL
    FYEO
    OP
    DAF
    DAD
    LALD
    TMWTGG
    CR
    TSWLM
    SF
    AVTAK
    MR
    My I'm-trying-to-be-an-objective-student-of-film list is much harder:
    FRWL
    DN
    GF
    TLD
    CR
    OHMSS
    LTK
    ugggghh, it's already getting too hard, but you hopefully get the drift....
    (for a bit of a point of reference, a few of my most highly respected films are Metropolis, Sanjuro, 2001, The Road Home, Blade Runner...)

Are you talking about Whale's THE ROAD HOME?
    No, the Chinese film http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_Home_(1999_film)
    SANJURO is okay, but way down on my list of great Kurosawa films.
    Fair enough to say; Rashomon is probably his most inspired work (I had to write a paper on it for film class; it was a pleasure)- that spurred me on to his other films, but Sanjuro just clicked with me on a personal level I guess.
    And, that is an insane Bond ranking list. I cannot find any thread thematically, tone or in quality. It also defies conventions or "camps" at both ends.
    Colour me eclectic.
    :-??
    His early films, even more political in nature, with Gong Li, are among the best cinema in existence. Check out RAISE THE RED LANTERN or TO LIVE, or any of the ones made around that time.
    I will now! The Road Home is the only one of his I've seen (many tissues were used). Thanks @Birdleson!
    :)>-
    And, back on topic, tomorrow I will receive & watch my Blu Ray of YOLT. I am stoked, to put it mildly.
    YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE is a wonderful film, slightly flawed, but still of that era of greatness.
    And personally, I feel that his toupee looked amazing in it!
  • It seems I stand alone in defense of Moonraker :(

If you ask me, MR is the best Bond... God I love free opinions...
    ;)
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,189
    YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE is a wonderful film, slightly flawed, but still of that era of greatness.

Last time I watched YOLT I really enjoyed it too. It's funny, it just misses my top 10 but there are some really classic elements. One thing I did think though:

Why does Bond just happen to have a safe cracker with him when he didn't even know he would end up in that office?

Last time I watched YOLT I really enjoyed it too. It's funny, it just misses my top 10 but there are some really classic elements. One thing I did think though:

Why does Bond just happen to have a safe cracker with him when he didn't even know he would end up in that office?

Wow, you founf a plot hole in YOLT? Congratulations! :P And what a shame for the film! I mean, everything else makes complete and utter sense, doesn't it...
    jobo wrote: »

Wow, you founf a plot hole in YOLT? Congratulations! :P And what a shame for the film! I mean, everything else makes complete and utter sense, doesn't it...

Now now...no need for rudeness :p
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I question more Blofeld's 'fail-safe' key that makes a volcano go into eruption with the touch of a button than Bond's safe cracker.
    jobo wrote: »

Now now...no need for rudeness :p

Haha. I wasn't being rude my friend. :)>- Only "delightfully" sarcastic! ;) :P
    I question more Blofeld's 'fail-safe' key that makes a volcano go into eruption with the touch of a button
    I have one in my volcano...
    :-??