The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A new clip of See No Evil 2 has arrived, nothing really much happens in it:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/videos/3310110/first-see-evil-2-clip-wakes-sleeping-beauty/

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,910
    Bloody-Disgusting have put up their review for Leprechaun: Origins (with a spoiler warning):

http://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3310287/review-leprechaun-origins-painfully-generic/

'Even the worst of the original Leprechaun films is better than Origins, which will have you thanking your Lucky Charms that you turned it off.'

B-D is cutting straight to the bone, there.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Leprechaun never had much potential IMO. The first one got away with it - barely.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    After watching the TCM 1-4, I started watching the Halloween franchise. Just finished the 3rd outing, which I found to be pretty forgettable since it didn't follow the events of the first 2 movies. I really enjoyed the original Halloween, and the 1981 sequel was a worthy addition. Pleasance is a wonderful actor, and it was the 1st time I saw Jamie Lee Curtis so young. She was quite the eyes pleasure back then :) I think I prefer the Halloween movies to TCM so far.
    Not continuing with the TCM series, DC?

Dimi - As you know, when the battle lines are drawn, i'm a Friday fan, but I didn't mind the first Leprechaun. I have only seen the first 4, Leprechaun 4: In Space broke my will. Jason in space is ok (a little cheesey, but there were some classic Jason kills), but Leprechaun in space.... never again.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2014 Posts: 15,695
    @Major I wanted to make a pause with TCM before watching the 2003 remake. I saw the trailer and noticed it was produced by Michael Bay, so I was unsure if I wanted to continue straight away.
    As far as I remember nothing blows up! :D
    The remake is better than 2, 3 & 4 if you ask me
    Thanks @Master_Dahark I'll be sure to watch them when I've finished with Halloween!

Just sat Halloween 4 : The Return of Michael Myers (1988). Quite good, not as great as part 1 and 2 but much better than the 3rd one. Man, that last scene scared the hell out of me! Wasn't expecting that at all!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DaltonCraig007, let us know what you think about the 2003 TCM remake. It's one of my favorites, I really love the gritty, scary feel of the film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This is about horror films? Sorry, I was looking for the thread about Brosnan doing a fifth Bond film. :|
    Thanks @Master_Dahark I'll be sure to watch them when I've finished with Halloween!

Just sat Halloween 4 : The Return of Michael Myers (1988). Quite good, not as great as part 1 and 2 but much better than the 3rd one. Man, that last scene scared the hell out of me! Wasn't expecting that at all!
    4 is one of my favorites! It is the one that truly captures the feel of a cool autumn Halloween night. Having Michael hunt down a young girl instead of horny teenagers gave the movie a mean edge and definitely made him a 'bad guy', as opposed to Friday the 13th where you tend to root for Jason.
    Not sure what the hell they were thinking with Michael's mask though- I hated part 4's mask.

BTW if you loved the end of H4, you'll HATE the direction they go with H5, sorry to say
    Just finished Halloween 5 (1989). Erm... Whaaaaaat? After an amazing ending to H4, H5 falls flat on it's face. There's no sense of danger or suspense for most of the movie. The most just goes along until the end, where it picks up pace again for another badass last scene. However I had to sit through 90 minutes of nothing to get there :-?
    H4 is not such a bad film. I'm even the proud owner of the novelization. ;-)

@MajorDSmythe, I have all the Leprechaun films on DVD. :D Number 3 has a couple of interestingly funny moments, what with the leprechaun in Vegas and all, but Leprechaun In Space was an insult. I guess Back2TaHood had ... um ... some humour. :-??
    Halloween 6 : The Curse of Michael Myers (1995). Awesome movie! Quite the thrill ride after the subpar 5th outing. The start and end of the movie was batsh*t crazy! I really liked this film!
    Halloween 6 : The Curse of Michael Myers (1995). Awesome movie! Quite the thrill ride after the subpar 5th outing. The start and end of the movie was batsh*t crazy! I really liked this film!
    i like that one too! But like you said the start and end are crazy.... with blandness in between. No likeable characters either. Mike looks best in this one however.
    Try to get the Producers Cut if you can- many key differences there, including the entire ending

Was I right about H5?? It was like they took the ballsy ending to H4 and decided 'ah nevermind'. And you're right, it's a snoozefest.
    You were right about H5, mate. Total disappointment.
    Which horror icon are you...?

http://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3311922/horror-icon/

I got:

You are Jason Voorhees from the 'Friday the 13th' series!

There's a legend around here. A killer buried, but not dead. A curse on Crystal Lake, a death curse. Jason Voorhees' curse. They say he died as a boy, but he keeps coming back. Few have seen him and lived. Some have even tried to stop him... No one can. People forget he's down there, waiting...

Merciless and unwavering, you slaughter all of the young people vacationing in the Crystal Lake area. As a child, you drowned under the supervision of camp counselors, and later you watched them kill your dear mother. You know that need to die, and fortunately supernatural elements keep you alive again and again. You will not stop.. Ever... Your signature weapon is a Machete

I would have been disappointed if I had gotten any other icon.
    I got:

You are John Kramer, 'The Jigsaw Killer' from 'SAW'!

You understand the true meaning of survival after you survived a suicide attempt which changed your outlook on life. Only you understand that to truly appreciate life, you must be on the brink of losing it, and you show this to people who deserve it through custom-engineered traps meant to give intended victims a better life, or literally kill them in the process. Your weapon of choice is your ingenuity.. Each victim gets a different fate.

Laaaaame.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Ash Williams

You are Ash Williams from the Evil Dead Series!!

What are you doing on this list? This is a quiz for horror icons! I guess that you ARE a horror icon, and though you do kill lots of people, their all zombies... or deadites... or skeletons.... or some other nonsense dreamed up by The Necronomicon. Monsters run in fear of you, as you gleefully slaughter them with your custom chainsaw and of course your trusty 12-gauge double barreled Remington BOOMSTICK

Sweeeeeeet.
    They should make another Jaws , I really believe in it if they put some effort into it.....Hwood is suffering for "sequel-itis" anyway.
  • 71aKzHz7e0L._SX522_.jpg

Having bought the new Collectors Set, I'm curious, which is worse?

Halloween Resurrection

Rob Zombie's Halloween II

I'm leaning towards Resurrection for a couple of reasons. One, it was the last official movie in that continuity (like Die Another Day) and that's a damn shame. Two, at least Zombie's Halloween II tried to be something different. Unfortunately it went way too far and turned into a damn art film in parts. It was such a bad mis-step that we haven't had another movie in 5+ years

I certainly hope they get their shit together for the next one. I don't necessarily want another reboot, but maybe that's what it will take since they messed up so bad

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-14tq1F_YxMw24kPqZENgDHAvDzSb2v-ffaDwtCfeYFGBKP7F
    I really hope that there will be individual releases, just so I sould get my mits on the PD cut of H6.
    I was re-watching the original Halloween the other night. It's amazing how much of it STILL makes me jump.
    It is indeed a classic, @JennyFlex. Halloween had a huge impact on the horror genre and I myself can't get enough of it. It's not only scary at times, it's also beautifully shot.
    @DarthDimi, totally agree. Beautiful in so many ways. There's so many horror movies that lose their luster after a few watches, but Halloween never loses its brilliance.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 4,813
    Having seen Michael in the first movie at age 21, I can't help but wonder how he looked in the other movies as he got older and more and more beat up

Michael_myers_unmasked.jpg

He doesn't appear to retain injuries like Jason-- most notably because of all the times we see his perfectly fine eyeballs after Laurie shot them both in part II. But then again his hands show signs of burning... so who knows.

We got close to seeing him again in part 5 but it was a huge tease, keeping him in the shadows. From what we could see, Michael still appeared like a normal guy, and Jamie even said 'you look like me'.
    The prison cell at the end of 5 would have been a great time to show him- after all, why the hell would the cops let him keep his stupid mask on in the cell?

Here's a behind the scenes shot of the actor, so I guess we can pretend that's just how Michael looks, lol

l.jpg
    The first time I saw Michael's face in the original 'Halloween,' I thought it was Tim Curry.

Speaking of horror films - and I may have already asked this - has anyone seen 'Leprechaun: Origins' yet? I want to see it, but I'm not sure why, because the trailers looked dull.
    I have not seen it, but I do know that it is out on R2 DVD tomorrow.
    @Creasy47, I shall in a few weeks. ;-)
    edited October 2014 Posts: 40,595
    It's out on Redbox, but I know my girlfriend wouldn't want to watch it (she isn't big on gory/scary horror films...bit of a red flag ;)) and I don't want to beg her to do it since I'm not terribly interested in it.

@DarthDimi, do let me know what you think of it. May alter whether I make a bigger effort to see it or not!