'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

Watching it tomorrow in peace whilst the family are out! Will post my thoughts then?
    I don't see any previous Doctors in Capaldi's incarnation, now. In Deep Breath, the Doctor reminded me a little of the 6th Doctor (in The Twin Dilemma), but over the 3 episodes since, I think Capadi has gradually forged his own style.

DID YOU SPOT? “Sontarans perverting the course of human history” are among the first words uttered by the Fourth Doctor.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    He was, and still is popular (his 7 year, continuous run, proves it), but i'm just not a fan of the 4th Doctor era. The only ones I like less are the 5th, 9th & 10th Doctors. I will say though, Tom Baker has one of those unmistakable voices, I mean that in a positive way.

• dwseason804.jpg
    Jenna Coleman. Future bond girl anyone?
  • dwseason804.jpg
    Jenna Coleman. Future bond girl anyone?

Jenna is cute, she had a small role in Captain America The First Avenger. So I don't think Bond is out of the question.

On tonights episode, working so will have to watch it tomorrow, though getting some high praise here.

Now that was a classic spooky Dr Who episode. My second favourite of this series. Funny enough i was sat on the bed watching it and it does get you thinking!!! :-S
  • RogueAgent wrote: »
    Now that was a classic spooky Dr Who episode. My second favourite of this series. Funny enough i was sat on the bed watching it and it does get you thinking!!! :-S

Yes that was me under there! ;) :-bd
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Yes that was me under there! ;) :-bd

:)) Well atleast i will sleep easier tonight then Willy! ;)
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Just Watched listen, Clara's actions are going to be Catastrophic. Good episode, need to rewatch it a lot going on.
    The fear is a companion line that Clara says to the young doctor at the end of the episode, is taken from the second ever episode of Doctor who. William Hartnells Doctor says the line to Barbara.
    Just Watched listen, Clara's actions are going to be Catastrophic.

[Dalek Mode On] How so ? Explain ! Explain ! Explain or be exterminated ! [Dalek Mode Off]

And good point on the spoiler. Well spotted.
  • Doctor has a throw away line, that Clara has changed the course of human history or to that effect. Not at home to rewatch that scene at moment.:-)
  • Time Heist felt uneven and rushed, worst episode of this season so far.
    Time Heist felt uneven and rushed, worst episode of this season so far.

I found it a quite clever episode with a great pay-off.

Indeed. Come to think of it, it was a good tribute to the original "Mission :Impossible", up to and including each character of "Doctor's Four" as expy to the original team. We had Phelps (the Doctor), Cinnamon (Clara), Barney (Psi) and Rollin (Saibra). Not a memorable episode, but one that's fun to watch with a bucket of popcorn. Plus, another view at the Doctor's psyche (he really doesn't love himself, does he ?). And it was a better tribute to his model than the first movie in the series was (JIM PHELPS WOULD NEVER HAVE ACTED LIKE THAT !!! Sorry it had to get out, I'm still not over that betrayal).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I enjoyed it. Until the reveal, it was like a Doctor Who / (early) Hustle crossover.

1. Listen
    2. Into The Dalek
    3. Time Heist
    4. Robots Of Sherwood
    5. Deep Breath
  • I enjoyed it. Until the reveal, it was like a Doctor Who / (early) Hustle crossover.

1. Listen
    2. Into The Dalek
    3. Time Heist
    4. Robots Of Sherwood
    5. Deep Breath

That's pretty much my feeling too.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I didn't like this one much, and I was expecting to like it (I do love a good heist). Next one sounds funny, though!
  • I loved the plot of this one (as much as the other previous one by the way).

The only trouble I have with Capaldi's doctor, is that except in Deep Breath, he does not seem to commit emotionnaly. That's sad because several plots are about his personnality, he's a great actor, but i'd like to see him care and doubt a bit more. Not let Clara do all the caring.
  • I enjoyed it. Not outstanding but enough in there to make it very enjoyable......
    Although i quite enjoyed it, i think there certainly have been better episode's for me this series. Having said that i am loving Capaldi as the DR!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I did enjoy it, but it had moments of sadness and felt just at times a little bit rushed (not much). I liked all the characters in this one.
    So I liked Robin Hood better, but I did like this one, most especially the ending. I loved the ending!Take that away and I would have been left feeling rather bereft and sad. I do like this Doctor and Clara. I thought Keeley was wonderful in this episode, too.
  • She was, wasn't she ? I haven't seen her on TV since Spooks. The rest of the cast was great as well (including the Teller !)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Well I loved her in Ashes to Ashes for sure. I thought Identity was not such a great show, though. Just okay. I do enjoy Keeley; glad she was part of Dr. Who.

Oh, the Teller! I hope it returns. I liked it a lot.
    The Teller was a pretty cool character! Here's hoping!
  • Maybe 'Missy' will manage to get her hand on the Teller. I don't know who she is or what she's plotting, but it's scary
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/capaldi-on-graham-norton-this-friday-67129.htm

“The day after I was announced as The Doctor, I went to buy a light bulb in an old hardware store – like the one in the [Two Ronnies] ‘Four Candles’ sketch – and a bloke came out from behind the counter with a sink plunger stuck to his head!”

That's gold lol
    "I'm a soldier, but he's an officer !" Oh good one, Danny. Really good one. And that was just one of the highlights tonight. A great episode all around. My only regret :
    No Ian :-S
    Ah well, can't win 'em all, I guess.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 13,894
    To be fair, William Russel is 87. Ian could have popped up in Remembrance Of The Daleks, though, as a headmaster perhaps. Tonights was another fun and lighthearted episode. My favourite piece of dialogue was, from the Doctor: "Take him away. Shut him up... shut him down. Up or down, I don't care."

1. Listen
    2. Into The Dalek
    **3. The Caretaker**
    4. Time Heist
    5. Robot Of Sherwood
    6. Deep Breath
    When it comes to the new series school based stories I prefer School reunion as it has a far more emotional content to me, however tonight's episode was fun even if Mr Pinks observation of the Doctor being like an officer does come rather close to the some sort of truth.
    Anyhow this Doctor still is somewhat of an oddball as his antics makes you wonder what the hell he is about something I did not have with any of the previous Doctors. His inability to relate with humans seems somewhat at odds with the whole back history of humans whose defender he is for a long time. Has something changed?? Or is Moffat losing control?
  • Really enjoyed The Caretaker. Great dialogue, great performances again.from Capaldi and Coleman. Great fun. However, still not massively getting in to the Danny Pink character unfortunately, although much better in this......