"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    RC7 wrote: »
    Football is a waste of leather, imo.

Synthetic fibres have replaced leather these days. That is a fact.

Oh well, a waste of synthetic fibre then. That is a fact imo.
    And that's the opinion of many people. What they do is keep away from the football thread ;-)
    England vs Norway... Oh dear! Doesn't exactly bode well in terms of entertainment value...
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited September 2014 Posts: 1,727
    jobo wrote: »
    England vs Norway... Oh dear! Doesn't exactly bode well in terms of entertainment value...

That's the understatement of the year, right there.

• Well, an hour gone and it's no surprise that England have been absolutely diabolical.

A "new era" brings the same old problems.

Roy could do the decent thing and fall on his sword. But of course, he won't do that nor will the FA have the guts to admit they made the wrong appointment and sack him.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    The highlight of Transfer Deadline Day was definitely the Sky Sports reporter and the purple sex toy! =))

Alot of the lads at work were on about this today, if any one can get the clip? Please share it!

I don't want to get into trouble here by putting up the link. ;-)

So just type "Sky Sports purple sex toy" into YouTube.

Just watched it! Superb! :))
    Well i am glad i did not bother watching that bag of nails AKA England! I caught the goal when channel hopping! Forgot it was on anyway, and have seen the full time score! So it ironically took a penalty for us to beat Norway?!!!

Another example of why i just do not bother watching England! Friendly or not! :-q
  • I missed Bake Off for that! Thank God for the iPlayer! ;-) \m/
  • Just for you @RogueAgent.

10537128_10154580954850311_1645231163610479885_n.jpg?oh=c7c7feb3d3b8929cda49db0addddb38e&oe=5465365B&__gda__=1417371725_1d0b99dccb852e5e706744776fa5a7fc
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Good to see a brave new era of adventure and youth rather than going with players who have a track record of pedestrian football and failure. Milner coming on after 70 mins fills me with optimism and hope! Jesus Christ

If the Swiss destroy us do you think they might sack this clown so I don't have to sit through any more of this drudgery? They have to get rid of him purely from a commercial perspective - the reason Wembley was half empty was because people aren't going to pay good money to sit through the turgid dullness that he has served up his whole career.
    Just for you @RogueAgent.

10537128_10154580954850311_1645231163610479885_n.jpg?oh=c7c7feb3d3b8929cda49db0addddb38e&oe=5465365B&__gda__=1417371725_1d0b99dccb852e5e706744776fa5a7fc

I am truly honoured at the level of dedication and detail Willy! :))
  • RogueAgent wrote: »

Thanks. Took me boomin' ages to steal that off someone else. :D :-bd
  • Robbie Savage on his FINAL Prem predictions
    “ This is how I think the Premier League will look in May. I will NOT change my mind about either end of the table - I will stand or fall by what I say here ”

Could not stop laughing when I read that!
    Well? A peaceful weekend without the lads at work giving me grief or windups about the footie! Excellent! :-bd
    edited September 2014 Posts: 7,571
    Robbie Savage on his FINAL Prem predictions
    “ This is how I think the Premier League will look in May. I will NOT change my mind about either end of the table - I will stand or fall by what I say here ”

I know what you mean - like his opinion is such a big deal people will actually care.

For the record Robbie's predictions for 2013-14 were

Man City Champions - CORRECT
    Then he only got 1 of 3 correct for the other top 4 places, and that was Chelsea. He predicted Spurs and Man United to take the other places!

As for the relegated clubs? Robbie predicted Stoke, Hull and Crystal Palace to be relegated. They finished 9th, 16th and 11th.

Norwich, Fulham and Cardiff were actually relegated, and Robbie had them at 13th, 16th and 15th.

So it goes to prove that pundits set themselves up to be ridiculed because they have absolutely no way of predicting a season full of surprise squad signings, clubs hit with injury crises, management changes or those unprecedented and unexpected run of results that lifts clubs out of the mire.
  • NicNac wrote: »

I know what you mean - like his opinion is such a big deal people will actually care.

Then he only got 1 of 3 correct for the other top 4 places, and that was Chelsea. He predicted Spurs and Man United to take the other places!

As for the relegated clubs? Robbie predicted Stoke, Hull and Crystal Palace to be relegated. They finished 9th, 16th and 11th.

Norwich, Fulham and Cardiff were actually relegated, and Robbie had them at 13th, 16th and 15th.

So it goes to prove that pundits set themselves up to be ridiculed because they have absolutely no way of predicting a season full of surprise squad signings, clubs hit with injury crises, management changes or those unprecedented and unexpected run of results that lifts clubs out of the mire.

Not so much his predictions, just that he has a habit of changing his predictions frequently. That's why I found his statement funny :)
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited September 2014 Posts: 1,727
    At least Savage has an opinion... and let's face it - you really need him when it's Shearer in the other seat.

The UK is filled with dull, tactically-inept pundits and tepid analysis I'm afraid. The Dutch & Germans are the only ones who's football talk has any real substance.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 7,571
    NicNac wrote: »

Not so much his predictions, just that he has a habit of changing his predictions frequently. That's why I found his statement funny :)

Ah, I see @fire_and_ice, you are quite right about that. He sticks by his predictions as loyally as he stuck by his teams as a player. :-)
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Thanks. Took me boomin' ages to steal that off someone else. :D :-bd

=))
    I wonder how long it will take for some idiotic pundit or fan to say we are going to win the Euro's seeing as we beat the Swiss 2-0?
    Have to grudgingly say that wasn't too bad.

Mind you I don't subscribe to the theory that Switzerland are 9th best team in the world.

Will still get badly turned over by a decent team but after the cold gruel we've been eating for months now this goes down as scallops in truffle sauce.
  • Caught bits of the game tonight, England did OK at a tough place to visit. Well done to all the players.
    Can we get back to normal service now the bloody international break is over
    largo2 wrote: »
    Can we get back to normal service now the bloody international break is over

Here here Largo! Could not agree more! =D>
    Well back to the bread and butter stuff tomorrow!
    Good luck Swansea and congrats to Gary Monk for his very much deserved Manager of the Month award! =D>

Hopefully my Norwich boys can do a number over Cardiff for you Largo?! Would take a point now seeing as it is an away match for us! But a win would of course be better! :D
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited September 2014 Posts: 14,887
    Always a slight concern coming back after the international break. Some great games today. Arsenal vs Man City, followed by Chelsea vs Swansea. Top of the table clash at Stamford Bridge. Hoping the Blues can win at home to stay top.
    And finally, good luck QPR. You can do it.
    Oh how I would love to see my boys win away today Sorry Benny!
    Well done to the Monk for manager of the month
    Much deserved as alot of pundits said we would struggle
    Curse of the manager of the month may be against us
    Gomis to start today with Bony v Drogba second half
    Top of the table clash
    Good luck to Norwich would like to see them back in the league and qpr in the conference where they belong
    Money talks and all that
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    A hat-trick from Diego Costa. A goal on debut for Loic Remy.
    Chelsea stay top. :D
    What a pile of dogshit that was. I feel I should sue Brendan Rogers for the cost of the 3 pints I consumed watching that anaemic dross.

Fair play to Villa though - they know exactly how to beat us: attack from the start and within 15 minutes our shambolic defence will concede and then just park the bus as we only look threatening when hitting teams on the break and can't open teams up who defend competently.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Crap that , bad day at the office. Let's hope we never play villa again , ever.
    Chelsea different class today
    Costa and Fab linking well
    Still happy with performance and 2 goals
    At least on bright side Cardiff scum lost to Norwich