'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• edited September 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Sandy wrote: »
    Well, I really liked that! A good, silly, Gatiss story. Did anyone notice the "Everyone needs a hobby" line?

Yes, that did bring a smile.

And nice to see Ben Miller playing the dastardly Sheriff of Nottingham.
  • Stupid, nonsensical... Though I have to say I laughed a lot and it was very entertaining.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Did anyone notice an ex-Doctor actor, but not as The Doctor?
    In the Robin Hood index was this image:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/imageArchive/images/10301_gall_002.jpg

Yes, it's 2nd Doctor himself, Patrick Troughton, as Robin Hood.

1. Into The Dalek
    2. Robots Of Sherwood
    3. Deep Breath
  • Good spot @MajorDSmithe I did look quizzically at the image when it appeared on screen. Was half expecting it to be Errol Flynn.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I had to rewind, I wasn't sure saw that right. A nice touch, though.
    I loved it. Capaldi channeling Pertwee during the first fight, Clara owning the Sheriff (I will never underestimate a school teacher again, and Jenna Coleman is gorgeous in that medieval dress), the archery contest (with a nice brick joke near the end of the episode), the final conversation, the acting (Ben Miller was his usual great). In short, everything was fun, light-hearted (with some deep moments) and made this one of my favourite episodes in the whole series.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The edited scene, in the end, meant one minute was taken out of the episode.

Let's hope it's on the DVD box set in November.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited September 2014 Posts: 5,080
    Episodes are getting better and better.
    The "I think he soiled himself" line was utterly hilarious. Robots made for good villains, but what is it with using cringeworthy robot voices this series? Same with the half-face man.
    1. Robot of Sherwood (7/10)
    2. Into the Dalek. (6/10)
    3. Deep Breath (3/10)
  • Next week's episode looks really good. Proper scary Doctor Who. :-)
    Watching it tomorrow, will post my thoughts on it then! :D
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 6,432
    The ships cloak, Time lord tech it would seem.

Probably stating the obvious!

Watched Robots of Sherwood again, and I think
    The promised land is Galifrey, Heaven is something different entirely. Heaven is Missy's Tardis!
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 1,310
    I've been enjoying Capaldi for the most part, but to me, this 'Robots of Shorewood' was one of the worst episodes in awhile. A throw away from start to finish. But I am liking Capaldi, this episode withstanding.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I do feel completely the opposite about the Robin Hood episode - I loved it! Great fun, very well done. I like Capaldi and I thoroughly enjoyed the last two episodes.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    EoDSzNJ.jpg
  • /\
    My new favorite photo. =))
    Well, he did come close to punching Robin Hood. Ha ha! ;)
    Have to say Robot of Sherwood was so funny! I absolutely loved it! Surprised i am saying this but it is my favourite episode so far this series!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I don't really know the actor playing Robin, but I liked him a lot. Has he done much work?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Tom Riley. He is the lead in Da Vinci's Demons, a third series of which is out next year.
    Ben Miller was awesome as the Sheriff, I wish he had gotten a more important role in the Who series, he deserves it.
    /\ Miller was excellent as the Sheriff! Maybe he could make an appearance in a future movie?!!!

• Watched Robot... Again before work 3rd time, out of season 8 favourite episode so far.

1.Robot of Sherwood.
    2.Into the Dalek.
    3.Deep Breath.

http://www.kasterborous.com/2014/09/female-doctor-writer-jane-baker-dies/

I might not be the Baker's biggest fan, but they not only created The Rani but also got my favourite era up and running with Time And The Rani.

RIP
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Sad news! Other than Rememderance of the Daleks not revisted the McCoy era for some time.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/is-capaldis-accent-causing-issues-66556.htm

I found in Deep Breath that I could not immediately catch what Capaldi was saying, though put that down to the Doctor being dazed and confused after regeneration.
    that was scary and fun, another great episode.
  • SaintMark wrote: »
    that was scary and fun, another great episode.

Agreed. Best episode yet this series and the payoff was terrific.

Thats up there with Blink and Midnight as proper scary episodes.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 13,894
    Best episode of the series, so far. I also like how the Doctor & Clara friendship is developing, platonic and a touch prickly.

1. Listen
    2. Into The Dalek
    3. Robots Of Sherwood
    4. Deep Breath
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Best episode of the series, so far. I also like how the Doctor Clara friendship is developing, platonic and a touch prickly.

1. Listen
    2. Into The Dalek
    3. Robots Of Sherwood
    4. Deep Breath

You see Capaldi's Doctor actually developing in the right direction I might say. There are really moments I hear Tom Bakers voice and that is the one who scared me into following the show long ago.

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    That was a properly scary one, in the best way. This is my kind of scary :) I completely agree with @WillyGalore, up there with Blink.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 13,894
    I don't see any previous Doctors in Capaldi's incarnation, now. In Deep Breath, the Doctor reminded me a little of the 6th Doctor (in The Twin Dilemma), but over the 3 episodes since, I think Capadi has gradually forged his own style.