'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Wow, that was quite a ride! Bleak and funny. Capaldi seems to be a nice mixture of the 1st Doctor's wickedness, the 2nd Doctor's crazyness and the 3rd's style.
    Was thinking another time lady. :) looks a bit like Kate o'mara.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,350
    It will take until halfway through this series to get a handle on the Doctor and how he is accoding to those who made it
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Along with the grey hair and the wrinkles
    This is going to be a Haggis Hunt of a new series.
    I wonder if there'a anything important in that episode Capaldi was a part of, the Pompei one (can't remember the title). That seemed to be implied at some point.
    Not quite the impact of Smith, though Capaldi tonely different which is positive, Doctor Who has always got to evolve. Smith was always going to be a tough act to follow. Smith the best doctor for me.
    Not quite the impact of Smith, though Capaldi tonely different which is positive, Doctor Who has always got to evolve. Smith was always going to be a tough act to follow. Smith the best doctor for me.

I liked Smith but I never really understood what's so great about him that so many people rate him as the best.
    Not read any comments above. Going to watch it after i have been on here. Will post my thoughts after i have watched the episode tomorrow.
    Sandy wrote: »

I liked Smith but I never really understood what's so great about him that so many people rate him as the best.

Thought smith played a tragic Doctor well, a lot of depth to his portrayel. For me you believed he was as old and weary as he was. Indeed a mad man with a box. :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,905
    The Eleventh Hour was a stronger episode than Deep Breath. Though to be fair, it took 3 episodes for me to warm to Smith, and he's been my 3rd favourite since. The pace was a bit on the slow side at times, though the final scene between The Doctor & Clara was worth it. The new titles & theme arrangement were nice. And the round things got a mention.

6/10
    This episode had a perfect balance for me ! Capaldi gave a touching, as well as modern approach of the new doctor, and some good things to look forward to ! Companions of the doctor have got much longer screen time than in previous victorian episodes, and with some terrific lines. And the idea to mix dinosaurs, robots, doctors and an adventure in the past. Terrific ! (particularly love the villain. Really catchy !)

I also love the new title and some new pieces of music !

Anyway, it feels good to have the doctor back !
  • I haven't seen it yet. I was out last night (and I was drunk when I got in), and I don't think I'll have time to watch it tonight. We've just started watching Rocky and my wife is going to want to watch Celebrity Big Brother after that (and I have to admit I've actually been enjoying it this year, mainly thanks to Gary Busey who is clearly batsh*t mental). Match Of The Day 2 and Family Guy are on tonight as well.

So I think I'll watch it tomorrow night. Everyone so far seems to think it was good so that means I'll probably enjoy it.
    Poor old Gary Busey. You've gone from starring in Lethal Weapon, Point Break, Under Siege and Predator 2 to winding up in a house with White Dee from Benefits Street showing you her rolls of fat. :-&

It's enough to drive anyone batsh*t mental.
  • He was in a motorbike accident or something a few years ago which gave him brain damage and I'm not being funny but it shows. He was on about how he saw Patrick Swayze's ghost the other day. He talks to himself and he seems to have gone half deaf too. I really like him though because he's funny and he's made some great films.

White Dee is one of the only people in it I actually like because she's actually normal and down to earth, she's not a drama queen (EG- That annoying prick off Strictly is a drama queen, Gary Busey made a joke about him being bum f***ed by the little camp gay guy and he threw a such massive hissy fit that I actually think he is gay now because he got so defensive and angry over it) and she's not up herself and deluded about her fame like some of them are.

I have to say as much as i enjoyed Matt Smith? I think we are going to have alot of Dark amusing fun with Peter Capaldi as the Doctor! This casting i think after finally getting around to watching the first episode could well be a stroke of genius!
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Am I the only one who didn't enjoy it that much?

I mean it wasn't bad don't get me wrong, but a I thought it was a bit underwhelming.

I liked how it felt different, I liked the darker direction and I liked the monsters but it felt a bit slow. Maybe it's because it was a longer episode but it seemed to drag to me.

Idk, I'm struggling to put it into words but it just didn't wow me like I expected it too. I mean, in previous episodes where they've got a new actor they seem to have really gone all out, they've really made a big episode and really cemented that actor in the role. In the other first episodes, Christopher Eccleston blew up a shopping center (in his first scene!), David Tennant had a big sword fight and saved the world and Matt Smith had that bit on the roof at the end with the giant eyeball.

Compared to those, this episode was really restrained. But it felt too restrained to me, if that makes sense. Maybe that's what it's going to be like with Capali, more low key. Not sure how I feel about that.

There was other stuff I didn't like too. The dinasour looked fake and while I liked Vastra and the other two at first I'm pretty sick of them (and the Victorian setting) now. Especially Strax, it was funny at first but now it's just the same joke every time with him (he calls girls boys, hilarious :| ) and he felt out of place now that they're trying to make it darker.

I feel like I'm bitching now but there was stuff I liked. I liked how it felt different and darker, I liked the villains and there were some really good scenes. The bit where she tried to kick the sonic screwdriver to him and it hit him in the balls was funny. Capaldi was good, very menacing and I like how unpredictable he is, but I think Jenna Coleman stole the episode. She was really good, she had to show loads of different emotions and she was great at displaying all of them. If she is leaving the show then I think it's a shame.

I thought the bit at the end with the woman off Bad Education was weird but in a good way, it was mysterious. Is that gonna be the story arc for this season then, every time the bad guys die they end up in heaven at the end? I don't think she's river. I think she's a villain and at the end of the series she's going to use all the bad guys who have died throughout the series to carry out some evil plan.

I thought that Deep Breath was alright but a bit underwhelming, especially compared to the last three episodes (the series 7 finale, the 50th special and the christmas special were all brilliant) and to the other new doctor episodes. Am I the only one who felt this way?

The Daleks are back in the next one (boo, they're crap) and Vod off Fresh Meat is in it (yay, she's great) so I'm looking forward to that.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It's a very different Dalek story. Just look at the title.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Am I the only one who didn't enjoy it that much?

Am I the only one who felt this way?

No, you'rew not. I give it 6/10 in my post further up, a few days on, and that score still stands. Compared to The Eleventh Hour, Deep Breath wasn't as good of an opening.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I wonder if there'a anything important in that episode Capaldi was a part of, the Pompei one (can't remember the title). That seemed to be implied at some point.

I thought the same. Interesting.
    Finally saw Doctor Who in his new face and the episode took a wee bit of time to get really started. But halfway into the episode the Doctor became himself and started to be fun. It is difficult those first entries of a new Doctor and they take their time to get used too. Moffat took a good course of action by letting the companion experiencing a similar feeling as the general audience had.
    I loved the little touches about the origin of the face, the story of the veil and even the Doctor asking Clara for help. By end-titles I wanted to immediately continue watching the whole series. And while virtually all of them with the exception of the last episode can be found on the internet I will be waiting for my weekly dose of Capaldi Doctor.

The DOCTOR is dead, long live the new Doctor.
    I liked the new episode. It was a good 4th Doctor-style adventure. And that woman again... any ideas?
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,905
    Now that was a considerable improvement over Deep Breath. As for Missy, I think she is
    The Rani. It's about time that we saw more of the character.
    I liked the new episode. It was a good 4th Doctor-style adventure. And that woman again... any ideas?
    I am wondering if it is to do the that crack/rift from the Matt Smith Dr Who era? The repair the Dr did on the Dalek reminded me of the crack in the wall? What do you think?
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Just watched the latest episode on iPlayer.

Wow. A monumental improvement over Deep Breath. And one of the very best episodes since the series returned in '05.

Loved, loved, loved how much darker it is. A real throwback to the Patrick Troughton days. Capaldi has nailed it. Utterly fantastic.
  • Into the Dalek was generally good, Daleks certainly back on form. I know its early days though Capaldi I find very flat, has very little impact or pressence IMO.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I really loved Into the Dalek. Just watched it this morning before work. I like Capaldi a lot.
    Into the Dalek showed us a complex new Doctor still trying to understand himself and by being confronted with the being he "hates" he actually learned something new about himself or at least something he never admitted to. Capaldi does sound occasionaly like the brilliant Tom Baker in his glory days but is moving towards a strong interpretation of the Doctor. And a less of an ADHD feeling towards the new series without Matt Smith.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I quite enjoyed both episodes. The first one had more spurts of humour IMO, especially the scene in the alleyway with the Doctor discussing his face and accent with the other guy. There was more going on in this latest episode though, and a few things the Doctor said/did impressed me. After the energy of Smith- and to a lesser degree- Tennant (both of which I love), Capaldi's take on the Doctor is certainly a breath of fresh air. Knowing he would be different again, I went in with an open mind, but I'm really surprised how quickly I've given him my approval. Very much looking forward to the next episode.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    A scene in the upcoming episode "Robot of Sherwood", has been edited to remove footage of a beheading in light of recent news of the US journalist Steven Sotloff being murdered by IS Militants.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29068551
    Well, I really liked that! A good, silly, Gatiss story. Did anyone notice the "Everyone needs a hobby" line?