Is Skyfall losing its gloss and appeal ?

Comments

• RC7 wrote: »
    actonsteve wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    actonsteve wrote: »
    But it seems directed by Brosnan fans.

Yawn.

Its true though

It might be yawnable to you - but it still holds true

It's not. It's bollocks.

Ignore him mate. The fact that it's Getafix leading the anti SF crowd pretty much proves that that's not true. It's just @actonsteve being a knob and making provocative comments about the Brosnan era and the people who like it as usual.
  • actonsteve wrote: »
    It might be yawnable to you - but it still holds true
    Well, during the "going for $1bn" phase, it was said here it was the GF/TB fans who were supposed to be at the origin of the anti-SF movement.. You know, all the stuff about old fans being unable to understand we were living Bondmania again, etc, etc...

About SF being so appreciated here as a masterpiece, I'm not even sure it would end here on top of CR, actually.

You're right. I think even most SF fans still see CR as the better film.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2014 Posts: 15,690
    Getafix wrote: »
    You're right. I think even most SF fans still see CR as the better film.

CR is the better film, SF is the most fun. CR's great but a bit too serious. In SF Craig is more relaxed, and yeah the story is not perfect by a long shot but it's pretty damn fun. Bond's always been escapist fun, and I feel SF was the 21st century version of that, atleast so far. I'm sure if EON improves here and there for Bond 24, it could be the new proper TB. But that is only my opinion, for me TB is the perfect larger-than-life epic Bond adventure, and my favorite Connery outing. SF is the closest it's been to TB since the new millenium started, but it's not quite there yet.

• edited August 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Funny. For me TB has always been the first of the misfiring Bond movies - the fact that you compare it to SF makes a lot of sense to me. A massive box office hit, but not necessarily a great movie.

But if B24 is Craig's YOLT, I'd be more than happy!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    You prefer YOLT to TB? I must say, YOLT is damn fun and epic, but suffers from pace problems here and there. Must be only me but I found the underwater scenes in TB more entertaining than the whole Bond turning japanese sequence. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate that part of YOLT. Both movies are strongly help by John Barry on high inspiration and stunning cinematography. I think what sells TB to me is that I believe Connery delivers the most bad-ass, masculine and cool performance in the entire franchise, and perhaps among the best in cinematic history. Connery in TB was the kind of man I wanted to be as a kid.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 11,425
    You prefer YOLT to TB? I must say, YOLT is damn fun and epic, but suffers from pace problems here and there. Must be only me but I found the underwater scenes in TB more entertaining than the whole Bond turning japanese sequence. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate that part of YOLT. Both movies are strongly help by John Barry on high inspiration and stunning cinematography. I think what sells TB to me is that I believe Connery delivers the most bad-ass, masculine and cool performance in the entire franchise, and perhaps among the best in cinematic history. Connery in TB was the kind of man I wanted to be as a kid.

The underwater battle is beautifully shot and has a stunning balletic quality, but the movie overall for me is rather dull. I remember even as a kid really disliking the PTS and finding the rocket pack a really naff device - sort of the 60s equivalent of the DAD invisible car. A pointless gadget shoe-horned in for the sake of it. And seriously, does any one actually like the title song?

I love YOLT for the wonderful Japanese locations, music, and the incredible Ken Adamness of it all. Brilliant allies as well. Tiger is a legendary ally. And Pleasance as Blofeld versus some old Italian dude as Largo - c'mon, seriously? The whole Bond going Japanese thing is utterly absurd, but just can't help loving it. It all boils down to personal taste at the end of the day, but give me YOLT over TB any day, pacing included.

Connery's best performances are in the first 3 IMO, but even when he's not firing on all cylinders he's brilliant, so I've never bought this nonsense about him being supposedly bored in YOLT. I think he was p****d off with EON and clearly disturbed by the attention he was receiving from the Japanese media, but I still think he gives a fine performance.
    @Getafix don't get the wrong idea, for me YOLT is not far behind TB for me, actually sometimes I have difficulties comparing them because whichever one of these 2 I watch the latest will be my favorite. Pure, proper Bondian adventure. YOLT has a fondness to me though because it sorts of pave the way to the Moore era, which I love :D
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm a Brosnan fan and I loved Skyfall. (And all of Craig's films.)

Top 3.

1. GoldenEye
    2. Licence to Kill
    3. Skyfall.

Murdock wrote: »
    I'm a Brosnan fan and I loved Skyfall. (And all of Craig's films.)

Top 3.

1. GoldenEye
    2. Licence to Kill
    3. Skyfall.

That's a f****d up top 3! In a good way. ;)
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 12,837
    @Murdock You have excellent taste :) My top three isn't that different to yours.

1) Licence To Kill
    2) The Living Daylights
    3) Goldeneye

Last time I ranked the films Skyfall was 6th or 7th I think.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    For those of you who make a full ranking list, how do you do it? I don't even know where to begin. How do you know that X film is in 16th place, and Y film is in 19th? I just can't begin to guess what I would tackle to decide something like that. I know my first and second favorites and I know my least favorite, but that's it.
    @Getafix don't get the wrong idea, for me YOLT is not far behind TB for me, actually sometimes I have difficulties comparing them because whichever one of these 2 I watch the latest will be my favorite. Pure, proper Bondian adventure. YOLT has a fondness to me though because it sorts of pave the way to the Moore era, which I love :D

I guess so. I suppose I don't draw such big distinctions between the Connery and Moore eras. I think the main difference is that Connery started off at least, giving this really quite serious performances, amidst the fantasy crazyness, whereas Moore was always a bit more post-modern and self conscious. But I think there's also a lot more in common between the Connery and Moore eras than some people make out. The first 3 Connery films are probably the best in the series for me and after that it became a bit hit and miss. Moore is my second favourite Bond though, and at their best, there is an irresistible fun and entertainment quality to the Moore films that has never been bettered.
    at their best, there is an irresistible fun and entertainment quality to the Moore films that has never been bettered.

Totally agreed.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    For those of you who make a full ranking list, how do you do it? I don't even know where to begin. How do you know that X film is in 16th place, and Y film is in 19th? I just can't begin to guess what I would tackle to decide something like that. I know my first and second favorites and I know my least favorite, but that's it.

It's like any list - you have to have a first stab at it and then you work on it and refine it. For most people I expect it changes a bit over time. For me it's mainly about how much I enjoy the films. The top half of the table sorts itself out quite easily and then the bottom half is more about sifting the least bad from the truly awful.

It's like any list - you have to have a first stab at it and then you work on it and refine it. For most people I expect it changes a bit over time. For me it's mainly about how much I enjoy the films. The top half of the table sorts itself out quite easily and then the bottom half is more about sifting the least bad from the truly awful.

I might give it a shot with my next Bondathon I do. It'll be hard picking through them after a while and I'm sure I'll constantly question it, but it can't hurt to try.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 12,837

I think of which Bond film is my favourite (which will probably always be LTK), and put that down as no 1. Then I decide what my favourite is excluding LTK, which is TLD, so that's no 2. Then I decide which is my favourite excluding those two, GE, so that's no 3, and so on.

So I list my favourite as no 1, then decide which is my favourite out of the ones that are left, then I put that down as no 2, and again I decide which is my favourite out of the ones that are left. I repeat this until I've run out of films. Pretty easy really.
    @Creasy47 It's very tough. Because you will get movies down in your list list that you will feel belongs higher, and if you do put them higher it will lower other movies you like. It's a vicious circle.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @Murdock You have excellent taste :) My top three isn't that different to yours.

1) Licence To Kill
    2) The Living Daylights
    3) Goldeneye

Last time I ranked the films Skyfall was 6th or 7th I think.

Thanks. I need to get around to rewatching them all. It's been too long since I last watched a Bond film.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 26
    We should get back to the core of this thread.

I think there are a few key reasons SF is attracting a few more negative comments now, whilst QoS is getting more favourable comments amongst fans. I've listed 5 of them below:

1. QoS direction was shaky, unclear and jarring especially in the PTS. As a result, after the first viewing (which for most fans was after much anticipation, having shelled out the high cost of a cinema ticket, probably on a special night, etc.) viewers felt bewildered and like they joined a story half-way in (which in fact they did). With time, everyone has had time to watch the film a few more times, so they get the story, know what is happening, and can enjoy the finer points in context.

2. SF missed some great set-piece opportunities. Top one being a final fight to the finish between Silva and Bond. How refreshing to see Bond come off worst, and M step in to rescue him by sacrificing herself and Silva with a single bullet. A number of recent Bonds have missed a step in the third act. (TWINE is similar to TB, in that underwater finales just never feel fast-paced or grand enough).

3. CR gave Bond fans permission to be critical of storyline, script, performance and production qualities at a new level. QoS was an art-house picture visually, and stands repeated viewing for that reason. It is acquiring long-term fanbase respect for that.

4. Just as QoS needs watching a few times to understand and follow the events (see 1 above), so SF suffers as, with repeated viewing, after the big picture gloss has gone, flaws with story, plotting etc start to surface.

5. SF is still underestimated at this point. In time, its greatest achievement will be recognised. What few people seem to comment on about SF is how cleverly the makers have pulled together the two universes of Bond. After the Craig re-boot, a challenge has existed, whereby we haven't yet seen Bond get married, lose Tracy, face Blofeld, SPECTRE, SMERSH. We didn't know whether we would have to sit through those stories again, re-imagined (please God, no. If you've watched the new Star Trek films you will understand how tedious re-cooking a classic dish can be), or whether we have to lose that entire history and watch a new version of Bond where those events don't occur, in an alternative universe.

SF hints that all the events of 1-20 may have occurred since QoS; hence the Aston Martin equipped with gadgets from GF, and the older, wearier version of Bond that Craig portrays. We end up with M, his office, MoneyPenny, Q, a slightly stuffier and more old-fashioned version of MI6 - all the regular components of films 1-20.

In SF, though, the only potential anachronism between films 1-20 and 21-23 is Judy Dench being M, so in true Bond villain style, they just killed her off. All change with Ralph Fiennes.

(I'll have to eat my words if they are stupid enough to put Blofeld and Tracy into Bond 24, but if they are really smart, they'll just mention that Bond is widowed and we will be right up to date!)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    If anything I see SF as a step back towards some of the slightly lazy and cliched plotting and direction of the Brosnan era.
    Even being the big Brosnan fan that I am, I'd have to agree.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 1,068
    great posting @Theojw71 and I totally see all the points you make well as being reasonable. Guess I still personally have trouble with the mystifying decision calls made by the main protagonists of SF which do feel (to use a word used a lot here lately), a bit dumb considering who the characters are supposed to be and are capable of on any other given day. As I mentioned in this thread earlier, they strike me as being incompetent and not fit to serve their duties. I don't 'hate' SF and NEVER WILL and will happily watch it over and over but will cringe at the apparent nonsense decision making!! :D
    andmcit wrote: »
    great posting @Theojw71 and I totally see all the points you make well as being reasonable. Guess I still personally have trouble with the mystifying decision calls made by the main protagonists of SF which do feel (to use a word used a lot here lately), a bit dumb considering who the characters are supposed to be and are capable of on any other given day. As I mentioned in this thread earlier, they strike me as being incompetent and not fit to serve their duties. I don't 'hate' SF and NEVER WILL and will happily watch it over and over but will cringe at the apparent nonsense decision making!! :D

This was one of my main issues with SF when I first saw it. It was as if MI6 was just utterly incompetent at every single stage of the movie. To the point that Bond gets the head of MI6 killed and then turns up for work as if he's the champion of the world. Any way, probably enough has been said on SF, although it is interesting discussing it and seeing how people see it so differently.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Purely from observation, MI6 since Dench's M has/had been running it has been in major disarray. Double agents, defectors, trust issues, things being personal. Interestingly enough the only film Dench showed any sign of competence and control was in TND.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Interestingly enough the only film Dench showed any sign of competence and control was in TND.
    Ha ha! My favourite Brosnan movie!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2014 Posts: 4,043
    Isn't it time we all got lives and stop each other off ?

Mod edit: profanity removed.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Isn't it time we all got lives and stop wanking each other off ?
    Isn't it time we made cogent arguments as to why we disagree with a post or posts without resorting to attacking people's lives (or lack thereof)?
    :P
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Isn't it time we all got lives and stop wanking each other off ?
    Isn't it time we made cogent arguments as to why we disagree with a post or posts without resorting to attacking people's lives (or lack thereof)?
    :P

This. I don't understand the back-and-forth name calling and whatnot. People really get heated, it seems, when someone goes against SF. Brosnan's my favorite and he gets trashed a lot. You just have to counter points/opinions with your points/opinions and move on. Plus...we're on an Internet forum, most of us daily or weekly.

A forum solely dedicated to James Bond.

I think we might be past the point of saying who does or doesn't have a life. ;)
    I think we might be past the point of saying who does or doesn't have a life. ;)
    I have a life.
    Wait- it's around here some place...
    #-o
    Isn't that a bit unnecessarily provocative on any forum?

I have a smartphone: big deal I hear you say, as so does anyone over the age of 3 3/4 years old it seems. This of course means where there is any opportunity / downtime (and signal) in my life it can blissfully be enhanced by being here in this place. ;)

And I don't 'telly'. At all. I don't even own one - everything I watch are films or clips via my MacPro / Apple Cinema Display when I'm not doing work through it.

As for getting out more, I'm virtually always out whilst I am on here... I'm standing on the golden albeit moonlit beach as I type this! :P