John Cleese Suggests that Bond franchise lost its humor with Skyfall...

1235»

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Are you referring to John Cleese, forgotmyusername or willygalore now?

EVERYONE. ALL CAN BENEFIT FROM MY WISDOM!!!!!!!
    Sammm04 wrote:

And is that paraphrasing John Cleese or forgotmyusername?

Sammm04 wrote:

And is that paraphrasing John Cleese or forgotmyusername?

It's paraphrasing from the Book of Sammm04, Chapter 17, Verse 5.

• well done for spelling Google....god have mercy on your meagre mind, such simpletons find solace in the smallest avenues of pithy victory. bravo for such a pathetic attempt to joust with an obviously superior intellect...bravo.

I copied and pasted it. Just like you did.

Actually, apart from the article I wrote the rest and tried to form an opinion from my own mind rather than that of a saville fan.

well done for spelling Google....god have mercy on your meagre mind, such simpletons find solace in the smallest avenues of pithy victory. bravo for such a pathetic attempt to joust with an obviously superior intellect...bravo.

Actually, apart from the article I wrote the rest and tried to form an opinion from my own mind rather than that of a saville fan.

What's a saville fan? Presumably if you're referring to a person, then you should use a capital "S". But of course, you're not intelligent enough to realise that by yourself are you?

Anyway, you best get back to it, I'm sure you and your friends are off to Rochdale later...
  • RC7RC7
    well done for spelling Google....god have mercy on your meagre mind, such simpletons find solace in the smallest avenues of pithy victory. bravo for such a pathetic attempt to joust with an obviously superior intellect...bravo.

What's a saville fan? Presumably if you're referring to a person, then you should use a capital "S". But of course, you're not intelligent enough to realise that by yourself are you?

Anyway, you best get back to it, I'm sure you and your friends are off to Rochdale later...

He might also spell Savile correctly. Tut.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Some unacceptable behaviour on this thread which is now seriously close to lockdown.

It's up to you guys if you want to rescue it, but we are keeping a close eye on it.
    It's all about opinions....personally I enjoyed JC in the Bond movies he did ..although not sure his 'Q' would have worked in the Craig era.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I just loved when Desmond said "...the young fellow I'm grooming to follow me." :))
    Cleese' Bond films are funny but not in the way he thinks they are.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    NicNac wrote:
    this thread which is now seriously close to lockdown.
    Oh, I guess it should be put in carbonite; no good vibes any more here...
    :-<
    I think what John Cleese was really refering to was the general attitude of the recent Bond movies. That they have on the whole lost their sense of fun. I dont mean the blatant and often silly humour of Moore's movies(although i love Roger's Bond myself) but just the general lightness of touch that the early Connery films had. It's not the comedy just the general tone of the films. I think Cleese may have a point when he talks about movies losing their sense of humour to appeal to some asian territories, because its not just Bond but movies in general i think
    '
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The thing is people like John Cleese don't pick through Bond films like we fans do.

Maybe he saw QOS and formed an opinion from that? Then some interviewer asks him what he thinks of the new Bonds and he makes his comment accordingly.

I agree with @cooperman2. The Bonds of old mesmerized a generation (although it's partly to do with the lack of access we all had in the old days, plus the lack of competition the Bond films had), and we bought in to the spectacle and the sheer fun of the films.

Today the Bond films is just one franchise of many, so they have to evolve, they take on a new shape. Bond now has a past, he has to have hang ups. It isn't necessarily for the better, but it's a way forward. And Craig is a Bond for the 21st century. So, because he is tortured and lost he becomes dour and humourless. Or so it seems to John Cleese.

I can see where Cleese gets his opinion from. I just don't agree with it.

chrisisall wrote:
    I just loved when Desmond said "...the young fellow I'm grooming to follow me." :))

That gave me a laugh as well.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 6,396
    This was a letter Cleese wrote to fan many years ago:

65949_10152524603682708_6793887957705848223_n.jpg

Kudos to him for this. Very funny.