Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Fassbender is too much of a star to play Bond now. Moore, Craig and Brosnan were sort of famous but Fassbender is a Hollywood megastar who's constantly in big films. No chance of him getting the part now.

I think that excuse has fizzled out. We don't know who EON will hire next.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I really can't see them going for that big a name though. He's a megastar, he's already a big part of a successful franchise (X Men) and may soon be part of another (if Assassin's Creed gets sequels). He's been in lots of big blockbusters and in a weeks time he might have won an Oscar.

EON could hire him (maybe to guarantee more billion dollar grossing films after Craig leaves they'll go with a bigger name) but I don't think they'd go with someone that established.

I can see them going with a more famous actor for the next one but not Fassbender. He's too big. Out of all the main names put forward (him, Idris Elba, Tom Hardy) I think he's the least likely.
    How about Antony Starr? Apparently he auditioned when Craig got it. I think he's in his 30s though so might be too old before Craig leaves but he's a great actor (watch him in Banshee) and he looks the part.

A-Starr-in-the-making.jpg

Antony_Starr_(cropped).jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Looks good to me, I can easily see him as Bond. :-bd
  • He was born in 75, so assuming the new Bond takes over in 2020, he'll be 45. A little on the old side, but it could be possible. I'm still pushing Oliver Jackson-Cohen, he's about ten years younger and has some experience. Matthew Lewis would be a little on the young side, and his hair is thinning, but he already looks great for the part in his mid twenties.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 12,837
    He might be too old, but weren't Dalton, Brosnan and Moore all in their 40s when they were cast?

He's from New Zealand but he does a great American accent in Banshee so I have no doubt that he can do an English one.
    He might be too old, but weren't Dalton, Brosnan and Moore all in their 40s when they were cas?

It was in different times, when Bond movies could be made every two years, and both Brosnan and Moore benefit from looking younger than they were. And even then Moore's age became an issue and Brosnan started looking his age from TWINE. It is very unlikely that they will cast an actor in their forties, let alone mid-forties, as Craig's successor.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Ludovico wrote:
    He might be too old, but weren't Dalton, Brosnan and Moore all in their 40s when they were cast?

It was in different times, when Bond movies could be made every two years, and both Brosnan and Moore benefit from looking younger than they were. And even then Moore's age became an issue and Brosnan started looking his age from TWINE. It is very unlikely that they will cast an actor in their forties, let alone mid-forties, as Craig's successor.

They could still make Bond films every two years. In fact the gaps between recent films seem to have been unintentional (MGM went bankrupt after QOS, Mendes was busy after SF), I think a Bond film every two years is achievable and they might want to go back to that in the future. And he's ageing pretty well, I doubt he'll suddenly look too old once he's in his forties.

Saying that, I don't think he'll actually get the role, but I don't think we should rule out EON casting a 40 something Bond in the next one. It's not as likely as a younger actor but it's possible.
    Maybe a forty year old man, but this is a big maybe, I think it is highly unlikely they will cast anyone that is forty or over when the movie is released.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I think John Boyega could do a good job. He's a fantastic actor. He was the lead in Attack The Block. He's in 24 at the moment playing a US drone pilot and if I hadn't seen him in Attack The Block then I would never have realized that he wasn't American. Great actor with tons of range.

That's about all he's done (aside from appearances in TV shows and a recent film with Chiwetel Efijor) but he's apparently in the new Star Wars film so his career is really starting to take off now. He's 22 now but by the time Craig leaves he'll be in his late 20s at least.

John%2BBoyega.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I might change my mind if I see him act, but judging from the picture, hell no.
    But what do I know? I do not even like Brosnan as Bond.

Exactly, you hate Brosnan (who was brilliant) so you obviously have terrible taste in Bond actors anyway, your opinion is irrelevant :P

Exactly, you hate Brosnan (who was brilliant) so you obviously have terrible taste in Bond actors anyway, your opinion is irrelevant :P

Sorry he's not the only one who thinks that. I don't think Brosnan was brilliant as Bond either.

Sorry he's not the only one who thinks that. I don't think Brosnan was brilliant as Bond either.

I know and there's nothing wrong with that, I was just joking :) To be honest I think on this site the majority don't like Brosnan.
    I might change my mind if I see him act, but judging from the picture, hell no.

All opinion about Brosnan aside, I agree. You need more for Bond than a good looking man.
    Ludovico wrote:
    You need more for Bond than a good looking man.

But John Boyega isn't just a good looking man. He's a really good actor too.
    Matt Ryan in Constantine

Matt Ryan in Assassin's Creed IV

Ludovico wrote:
    You need more for Bond than a good looking man.

But John Boyega isn't just a good looking man. He's a really good actor too.

He does not look like Bond. Heck, I do not think he looks like a Black Bond, if Bond would be black.
    Ludovico wrote:
    He does not look like Bond.

But what does Bond look like? None of the actors look alike and none of the actors fit Fleming's original description.

I think Bond's appearance has changed so much over the years that it doesn't really matter what he looks like anymore as long as he's good looking.
    An interview with Paul Haggis back in 2005 revealed that Bond was 28 in his script.

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=2804

Ledger could have played 28 with ease.

As for Burton's lifestyle, it's far from relevant. He had the look, the skill and the ability. He could have been an amazing Bond, I think it's very short-sighted to rule him out because he was an alcoholic. I'd rather have a great actor than some squeaky-clean pretty boy.

Back to Ledger though. I think he could have been great he was such a gifted actor. Maybe had his circumstances been different and he got the Bond role his tragedy could have been avoided, but who am I to say.

18060769-18060771-large.jpg

There is also an argument that Sean Bean would have made a more interesting Bond than Pierce....

BeanBrosnan.jpg

What about 1990's Ralph? I just see Mallory now.

englishpatient_01.jpg

I saw the new Wes Anderson movie this week and bizarrely it made me think what a great Bond Fiennes could have been. He is a very good actor. Did EON ever give him serious consideration?

What about this Northern Irish guy from The Fall? Sure he's been mentioned already, but he could look the part, I reckon.
    Ludovico wrote:

But what does Bond look like? None of the actors look alike and none of the actors fit Fleming's original description.

I think Bond's appearance has changed so much over the years that it doesn't really matter what he looks like anymore as long as he's good looking.

All actors did look like Bond to a degree, even Moore (in some movies at least). Obviously some more than others. I strongly disagree with you: not every good looking person can do Bond as long as he is good looking and a good actor. Bond has to be handsome, but not overly so, he has to be virile with a hint of cruelty.
    Surely Connery was overly handsome. Wasn't he? Is it possible to be more handsome than young Connery?
    Getafix wrote:
    Surely Connery was overly handsome. Wasn't he? Is it possible to be more handsome than young Connery?

Connery was perfectly handsome. For the role anyway. One should be handsome, but not too cute, not soft. There is a special kind of handsome for Bond, so to speak. Just like there is a special kind of elegance for him.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Jamie Dornan is who I mean.

Although I fear that appearing in Fifty Shades of Grey may sink his career permanently.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited May 2014 Posts: 1,727
    Ludovico wrote:

I beg to differ - Tim Dalton really does look almost exactly like Fleming's description from the FRWL novel, if you ask me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Getafix wrote:
    Jamie Dornan is who I mean.

Although I fear that appearing in Fifty Shades of Grey may sink his career permanently.

You never know. Zac Efron was in those horrible 'High School Musical' films and he turned out just fine, and Robert Pattinson was in the 'Twilight' saga, and he's done some excellent films since...and I don't think you can sink much lower than 'Twilight.' ;-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I could be a Bond actor. I would be sixth best, behind Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton and Craig, but above Brosnan.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I could be a Bond actor.
    Yeah, I can see that. An entire planet of Bond fans pain-facing, that is.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,425
    QBranch wrote:
    I could be a Bond actor.
    Yeah, I can see that. An entire planet of Bond fans pain-facing, that is.

No one can pain face or grunt/groan like Brosnan - he has it down to a T.