Pierce Brosnan or Roger Moore

Comments

Roger Moore - every time

Make no secret of the fact, no admirer of Brosnan's representation of James Bond and invariably appeared too one-dimensional or lack of vibrancy and dare I say it - lackluster. The one good thing, didn't present the same level of (adolescent) humor as the other, but Moore had a bit of everything, and no one release was ever really the same
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I love both; pretty much a tie for me. I can't see where I voted on this one yet. But really it's a toss up. Roger had TSWLM and FYEO; Pierce had GE and TND. Both came along at significant times in the series history and both had their own style and charm. Roger had more decent films. But I do enjoy Brosnan's Bond a lot.
    Roger for sure.
    I challenge anyone to not cringe at 4.00 or 6.00 haha:

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I was too busy being annoyed by her hairline/hair style to cringe. :D
    Definitly Pierce Brosnan!!!! <3
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have cast my vote, but prefer to keep it secret.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited May 2014 Posts: 5,080
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I challenge anyone to not cringe at 4.00 or 6.00 haha:

Didn't cringe at either. It's harmless, Roger Moore fun!
    She practically chews his face off....poor Rog.....
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited May 2014 Posts: 1,727
    Has to be Moore.

He absolutely nailed 'his' version of 007 in FYEO i.m.o. Laconic as ever, but with a (up till then) new found sense of urgency & seriousness that really suited him I thought.
    Being handed a more grounded screenplay & script, he subsequently found his own way of doing a more realistic Bond.

That is the difference between him and Brosnan. Pierce was constantly trying to do a ‘Goldfinger Connery’, regardless of whether it suited the film or not. He never seemed to think about where he wanted to go with the role, or how to mould his own 007.
    AceHole wrote:
    Has to be Moore.

He absolutely nailed 'his' version of 007 in FYEO i.m.o. Laconic as ever, but with a (up till then) new found sense of urgency & seriousness that really suited him I thought.
    Being handed a more grounded screenplay & script, he subsequently found his own way of doing a more realistic Bond.

That is the difference between him and Brosnan. Pierce was constantly trying to do a ‘Goldfinger Connery’, regardless of whether it suited the film or not. He never seemed to think about where he wanted to go with the role, or how to mould his own 007.

I think he nailed it in TSWLM.

Both LALD and TMWTGG were missteps (mainly down to Cubby, Harry and Guy Hamilton) but bringing Gilbert back for Spy was the master stroke. He and Roger seemed to know exactly what tone and style Moore's Bond should have.

You're still right though about FYEO. Rog is fantastic in it and despite some poorly judged moments, he's also very good in OP.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Moore's very effective in Spy and I think it's one of his best performances. He's confident, takes charge but is charming and gentlemanly. A great blend of Bond AND Moore.

The only weak point he has is his laughable fight on the roof with the bald thug.

I don't like him as much in MR sadly.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Moore's very effective in Spy and I think it's one of his best performances. He's confident, takes charge but is charming and gentlemanly. A great blend of Bond AND Moore.

The only weak point he has is his laughable fight on the roof with the bald thug.

I don't like him as much in MR sadly.

Indeed. He comes across as very smug in MR. Something that was also repeated in AVTAK.
    The smirk and knowing look he does when he says something witty irritates me sometimes.

Yes Rog, we get it!
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited May 2014 Posts: 1,727
    AceHole wrote:
    Has to be Moore.

I think he nailed it in TSWLM.

Yes he nailed the 'Roger Moore 007' that we all think of in TSWLM, but what I mean is that for me he nailed the perfect balance between his signature style and the more grounded 007 in FYEO.

I consider TSWLM his best all-around film, but FYEO had his most pleasing performance, to my mind. He is totally convincing in his concern for the bereaved Melina, and his edgy vengeance of Locke is in my eyes the high point of his tenure.

Brosnan just doesn't have a single performance in which he really laid down a marker...
    Moore.

Is there anybody else?
    Moore has 2/3 of the vote in the attached poll ... :O
    barryt007 wrote:

Why is that a surprise? He made the role his own as opposed to someone who was more concerned with playing the same character Connery had played.
    It is a disgrace that Moore has so few votes.
    barryt007 wrote:

Why is that a surprise? He made the role his own as opposed to someone who was more concerned with playing the same character Connery had played.

It's a surprise because there are a lot of young Brosnan fans on here.

• I have gone off Moore of late, his acting seems very confined and stiff and for me the joke isn't funny any more. His every line seems to be a sort of send up, highly affected - he never did this as The Saint. But I always enjoyed his movies more than Brosnan's which were a big letdown in terms of content.

Moore has some 'rapey' moments too, Brozzer doesn't. You can't really believe any woman would fall for the great narcissist, which makes it 'rapier' - or is that a sword.
    I have gone off Moore of late, his acting seems very confined and stiff and for me the joke isn't funny any more. His every line seems to be a sort of send up, highly affected - he never did this as The Saint. But I always enjoyed his movies more than Brosnan's which were a big letdown in terms of content.

Moore has some 'rapey' moments too, Brozzer doesn't. You can't really believe any woman would fall for the great narcissist, which makes it 'rapier' - or is that a sword.

I see exactly where your coming from. Moore's a funny one with me. I enjoy him a lot of the time, but there are other occasions when I find him simply annoying (in a fair bit of MR).

Its a case of him thinking "oh, aren't I funny". Broz did that too but not in that slightly irritating "wannabe English buffer" sort of way.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited August 2015 Posts: 1,130
    Pierce Brosnan
    Since he was very charming and charismatic but with a little more edge than Moore.
    Roger Moore sometimes looked like a more handsome Austin Powers meanwhile Pierce always acted and made us feel sure we are watching James Bond

Pierce may not be a bad ass like Craig but he did look like James Bond all the time
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Sir Roger. I just feel a bit sad for the rest.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Pierce Brosnan typically doesn't have a lot of supporters on forums. In reality he is as loved as all the other actors.

Pierce Brosnan vs Roger Moore seems a logical idea, but it isn't.

Sure, both men are more comedic than any other Bond actor has been. But that's about it.

If I rate them by my Bond movie ranking then Brosnan wins hands down.
    Brosnan holds the Top spot with Goldeneye and two others movies of him are in my Top 10. Moore has Octopussy in my Top 10 at spot No 5.

"Officially" Brosnan is my No 2 actor and Moore my No 3.

It's not that easy though. If I look further, beyond Bond then Roger Moore wins and just because of two things:
    The Saint - my favourite TV Show from the 60's and one of the best ever.
    The Persuaders - I'm not sure how known this is outside the German-language region, but you have no idea how popular this still is today in Switzerland/Germany/Austria.
    It is BIG. I can recite every single line from all 24 episodes by heart I have seen them so many times.
    Both The Saint and The Persuaders were huge in Scandinavia as well.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    If we're talking about as James Bond, it's not even close for me:

Roger Moore, hands down.

Brought his own spin to the role, and kept it genuine and real for 12 long years. Even today, when an actor takes the role, he will either take a Connery'esque spin on it, or a Moore'esque spin on it, or a combination of both.

A class act and I miss him as Bond.
    I don't know
    bondjames wrote: »
    If we're talking about as James Bond, it's not even close for me:

Roger Moore, hands down.

Brought his own spin to the role, and kept it genuine and real for 12 long years. Even today, when an actor takes the role, he will either take a Connery'esque spin on it, or a Moore'esque spin on it, or a combination of both.

A class act and I miss him as Bond.

i still think Connery gave the best dramatic performance, but Roger was so damn enjoyable as Bond. a true legend.

i Think as Bond fans we owe everything to those two. Sean created the legend, and Sir Rog showed that you could reinvent the character and be just as entertaining, if not more so
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 1,310
    My gut reaction is to go with Roger Moore as I think he is an better overall actor than Pierce Brosnan (seriously). Though I feel that Brosnan had better physicality.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    SJK91 wrote: »
    My gut reaction is to go with Roger Moore as I think he is an better overall actor than Pierce Brosnan (seriously). Though I feel that Brosnan had better physicality.

I agree. Brosnan certainly did have better physicality as Bond.

Moore had tremendous presence and charisma however, as well as incredible on screen confidence, which lent credence to his portrayal. I think only Connery rivaled him on that front as far as Bond actors go. Even Craig (a superior actor in most people's estimation) can't project confidence with the same effortlessness as Moore could.