Pierce Brosnan or Roger Moore

Comments

Again, mods, can we get a poll on this one? Thanks
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Brosnan has TND, Moore has... well put it this way, he has AVTAK. Chalk this up as another point for Brosnan. Though I get no joy from saying that, trust me.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Quoting Bond: Again, mods, can we get a poll on this one? Thanks
    If all went well, there should be a poll option to the right of this box, underneath the 'in this discussion' list.
  • Quoting BAIN123:
    I enjoy them both but I just think Brosnan was the more credible as a trained spy overall
    Same for me as well. Moore was the only Bond I felt lacked a certain physical dominance. I just never felt like he could really kick ass when he needed to.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I've only now noticed where the polls are. I happened to read DD's comments on it after but I must say they're very difficult to find.

As for who is better: Moore.
    Moore all the way, particularly because he really carved out his own version of Bond, where I feel that Pierce was doing his best to do Bond 'Greatest Hits'
    Quoting JBFan626: I feel that Pierce was doing his best to do Bond 'Greatest Hits'
    True, but in Brosnan's defense, I think a "Greatest Hits" Bond is what the series probably needed in 1995.
  • Pierce, he was much more believable as a spy, a man of action and picking up the ladies.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 303
    Brosnan for me;
    He was the one who i always picture as Bond, I felt like he is Bond, i still like Moore though (I share his birth day, not year), just that i find Brosnan more exciting, funnier and more believable and i have to say that he's my favourite overall, especially since i've grew up with him through the films, merchendise, games etc.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Pierce Brosnan is a mystery to me. I honestly believe that Brosnan improves with age. If Dalton had played Bond until 1997/1999, I could believe Brosnan debuting after . I think Brosnan gained tremendous maturity with time. He was, what, 57 in Ghost Writer? He looked much more Bondian in that film than Moore in AVTAK, even Moore in OP. As an older Bond, Brosnan could have been an excellent Bond.

The other Brosnan mystery to me, is the acting performances. Clearly, he doesn't do anything to highten the scripts he was given. If you look at that horrible turd, aka 'Remember Me', Brosnan is the only highlight in the movie. He just owns the whole film. Whenever Brosnan is in the same scene as that Robert 'The Hack' Pattinson, it's not even funny how much Brosnan towers over him, physically and performance-wise. It's just incredible that the 2 main characters in the film are outshined by a secondary character with barely 10 minutes of screentime. I clearly don't understand why Brosnan gave such a good performance in that god-awful film, yet was so bad in his Bond films. Had Brosnan not have been Bond in the 90's, and debuted say in 2002/2003, when his acting really started to be very good, he'd be one of the best Bond yet.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 1,092
    Yeah, Brosnan has gotten better since leaving Bond. I don't love his Bond films but I've never had anything much against him. He seems like a cool dude. He was let down by weak scripts, bad directors and while he didn't do much to improve his position as Bond, I don't hate him in the role.

I think his biggest fault was the expectations the public put on him and the fact he was so excited to be Bond that he didn't have the material/ability to overcome this. There was too much smarminess like, I am James Bond! Look at me! A few year's maturity and this goes away. There are glimmers of it in DAD and then the film implodes.
    I could never choose between these two beasts! They are my favorite Bond actors, and each bring something different to the table.
    Brosnan rules but i love Roger

• edited May 2014 Posts: 1,778
    This is really easy. Roger Moore by a mile. Unlike Brosnan he never tried to act charming or funny. He just was. Even in his lesser films Moore always seems to be having so much fun that he's a pleasure to watch. Plus I liked his movies alot more than Brosnan's.
    I'm going to say the samething as the QOS vs. DAD thread

Moore because he tried to be different and mostly succeeded and PB because he tried to be the same and mosterly failed.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    edited January 2012 Posts: 784
    depends on the mood, if I want comedy its Moore for sure.

which isn't a lot I can assure you.
    Moore served the Bonds well by his lighthearted approach and that is what the films called for during his tenue. I just never really knew who the Hell Pierce Brosnan's Bond was.
    My vote to MOORE
    Brosnan like Paul McGanns Doctor in The Tv Movie was the best of Bond- containing the best of all bonds- The Suave Sophistication of Connery, the charm of Moore, the emotion of Dalton.

however Pierce did show much more emotion and he was offically the first Bond to kill a woman in cold blood (unless you want to count Connery blowing up Fatima Blush with an explosive) and he did seem to have more of a romantic feel with the bond girls (Paris, Electra even Jinx)
    Moore without a doubt, never liked Brosnan.
    Moore for humour and delivery of cheesy one liners and Brosnan for being a better actor and for simply leaving the series before he looked like an OAP!
    Moore everytime. No comparison.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited January 2012 Posts: 2,629
    Pierce at his best (GE and DAD) beats out Roger at his worst (AVTAK).

Otherwise it's Moore hands down.
  • Brosnan a slight step up from the clown
  • I like both, but as great a guy as moore is I have to choose brosnan
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 546
    Pierce Bronsan hands down. I enjoyed Sir Roger Moore as James Bond. But I like the style of Pierce Bronsan as 007. He had charisma with a blend of swag like Sean Connery & charm like Sir Roger Moore. Pierce Bronsan was more slick, suave & sophisticated.
    At one time, these two guys were neck and neck, but for a while now, I have given the edge to Brosnan. He is simply more slick and deadly than Roger, and has a more brutal roughness about him than Roger did. Besides, Brosnan was also my first 007, so you know there are significant points there!
    Brosnan without a doubt, although I enjoyed some of Moore's performances, he became a greater and greater liability as the years passed, I hate DAD but Brosnan is superb in it - the film's only saving grace
    Roger Moore wins it easily for me.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I'd like to revise my vote and go with Roger Moore.

After rewatching several films from each actor recently Moore's (on the whole) just hold up better and have a bit more class. There are still a fair share of naff moments in them though

Damn!

However I still think DAD Brosnan has a bit more of a Bond-esque feel to him than AVTAK Moore.
    Rog