The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He's too hard on himself his performance as Bond. Similar to Moore sharing similar feelings about his own as Bond. Though I can understand his feelings on not wanting to watch his own movies. As I get older I don't like watching my own videos with people around. I can watch them by myself but never with a crowd.

Brosnan got me into Bond. He was perfect for the part in the 90's. He had the look, the voice and the motions down. I wouldn't change anything about his Bond other than Die Another Day which is the fault of Lee Tamahori and not Pierce.
  • SaintMark wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Brosnan will give the franchise a much needed boost. He'll probably use gadgets and stealth. Damn, I wish he'd be the villain.

The franchise needs a boost? In what way?

They're pretty much B-grade action movies at best. Hopefully, Brosnan will help raise the bar, or at least make the movie memorable.

You are at best kind of batshitcrazy, after Expendables 1 they really hit their stride with number 2 and undoubtely nr. 3 will be a big hit.
    It is nice for Brosnan to be a part of it, but I cannot see him improving the very well working formula of the various former actionheros in one movie. If anything it would raise Brosnans popularity.

When did I say the series didn't gross much?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Pierce was too hard on himself, @Murdock. You are very right. However, he is not the only actor or actress who is unfairly hard on him- or herself. I think Pierce's portrayal of Bond was fine. I have issues with some of his films, but not him. And in general, he is a gentleman. Therefore, I feel he would always speak of his roles slanted in that regard as compared to the opposite take on it, like boasting or building himself up. I think he would naturally downplay his own efforts.
    While it is kind of sad to read that article the man does have a point, and I think its good that he can be open and honest about his feelings.

Nonetheless I think if there's one scene in his Bond films he should be proud of its his final one with Q.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    SaintMark wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Brosnan will give the franchise a much needed boost. He'll probably use gadgets and stealth. Damn, I wish he'd be the villain.

They're pretty much B-grade action movies at best. Hopefully, Brosnan will help raise the bar, or at least make the movie memorable.

You are at best kind of batshitcrazy, after Expendables 1 they really hit their stride with number 2 and undoubtely nr. 3 will be a big hit.
    It is nice for Brosnan to be a part of it, but I cannot see him improving the very well working formula of the various former actionheros in one movie. If anything it would raise Brosnans popularity.

When did I say the series didn't gross much?

I didn't say it, but it sounds like it was implied by stating the franchise needs a boost. In what way? The films have been a collection of action stars, old and new, blowing shit up and the series doesn't seem to have any plans on stopping or not grossing as much as it could. The films are fine, and it'll be even better having Brosnan on board.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

^This. If the likes of Stallone, Arnie, and Willis (all much more popular and bigger stars than Brosnan) couldn't "raise the bar" than Brosnan won't either. Personally I enjoyed the Expendables 2 even though the series is obviously just a desperate attempt by Stallone to remain relevant in Hollywood.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    November Man will be released on 27th August in the USA.
    Creasy47 wrote:

CRAIG MOST DEFINITELY IS BOND. ARE YOU HAVING A LAUGH PAL?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    BAIN123 wrote:
    While it is kind of sad to read that article the man does have a point, and I think its good that he can be open and honest about his feelings.

Nonetheless I think if there's one scene in his Bond films he should be proud of its his final one with Q.

Very much agreed.

• LeChiffre wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

A laugh? No. I'm just waiting until this dry spell ends.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

You've only at least another six years to wait until Bond actor #7 is in action. Just remember though, it still won't be Brosnan no matter how much you want it to be.

:D
    Or Dalton. Just saying.
    I'm happy with Craig and I enjoyed Brosnan as Bond.

The Expendables movies are just okay, but if Pierce is in one I will definitely see it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Pierce is definitely way too hard on himself, but that self-deprecation is part of what makes him a great guy. On this forum alone his Bond is responsible for starting the fanatic love of the films that many of our members have. He kept the series going in a time of uncertainty and added his name to a very elite and rare cinematic list with just five other actors playing that iconic part. He has a lot to be proud of.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I'm all alone on campus this weekend, so while I'm spicing up my days with a little bit of gaming and a little bit of Bond, I decided to do a Brosnan Bondathon after reading up on how hard he is on himself. Watching him in GE floors me, he just seems so great, suave, and cool in the role. When he talked about the infamous line during the 50th Anniversary and how nervous he was because he was channeling the likes of Connery and Moore in his head, I think he said he felt like he didn't nail it like he wanted to, but that introduction to Xenia is phenomenal in my eyes. He seems so comfortable and relaxed with it, it's amazing. He really is too hard on himself.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I'm all alone on campus this weekend, so while I'm spicing up my days with a little bit of gaming and a little bit of Bond, I decided to do a Brosnan Bondathon after reading up on how hard he is on himself. Watching him in GE floors me, he just seems so great, suave, and cool in the role. When he talked about the infamous line during the 50th Anniversary and how nervous he was because he was channeling the likes of Connery and Moore in his head, I think he said he felt like he didn't nail it like he wanted to, but that introduction to Xenia is phenomenal in my eyes. He seems so comfortable and relaxed with it, it's amazing. He really is too hard on himself.

That's actually my second favourite delivery of the line after Connery's first go in 1962. The music, the dialogue etc all builds to it and he delivers it perfectly, I think.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, completely agreed. Nothing could ever beat Connery's introduction in DN, but the way the music stops as Bond turns to Xenia and introduces himself is stellar. I get giddy every time I see it.
    I read that in Empire yesterday. I wouldn't hold your breath anytime soon.
  • LeChiffre wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

You've only at least another six years to wait until Bond actor #7 is in action. Just remember though, it still won't be Brosnan no matter how much you want it to be.

:D

When did I say I want him to be Bond again?
    I read that in Empire yesterday. I wouldn't hold your breath anytime soon.

Agreed. It really hasn't made any progress in the last, what, ten years, aside from this recent script that was worked on? I doubt it sees the light of day, but I'll still hold out hope.
  • How´s he´s realationship with Barbara och Michael? Are they still in a "feud"?
    edited May 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I have not read anything in a while about that. No doubt it left a bad feeling, but I think Pierce has gotten over most of the bitterness. Sounds like it. I really don't think I'd say they had a big feud. A bad parting of the ways, but not an ongoing feud. And that is far enough in the past now, for all of them, I think. I do not see why there would be any continuing relationship between them at all , though.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Did you know that there are recipees in Traditional Chinese Medicine used for curing Craziness, that contain batshit?

boldfinger wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Did you know that there are recipees in Traditional Chinese Medicine used for curing Craziness, that contain batshit?

Somehow I am not surprised, I wonder why?

So this clip was just posted on a new thread and closed (as duplicate thread).
    It is not a full trailer of November Man, just a glimpse.
    But I thought I'd try to copy it here on this thread. Hope it plays ...

http://thesolutionent.com/video/
    Now this film is one I am very excited about. Olga is in it, too.

And here I am now re-posting Murdock's great poster:

u8EmHK3.jpg

I'm sorry, but holy shit, that looks absolutely fantastic. I can't wait to see a proper trailer soon.
    Thanks for the repost 4EverBonded. ;)

I'm so excited, That teaser gave me the GoldenEye shakes. Were finally getting a 5th Brosnan Bond film. ;)
    @Murdock, that we are! It looks so intense.
    The fact that the movie is R rated means it's got the balls to shake things up and push the envelope away from the typical blockbusters.