who else would like to see bond in space again

Comments

• If they get the right screenwriter, then I don't mind a Bond film in space again. If not, than keep James Bond out of space.
  • The commercial space flight idea and the space skydive sound really cool. I really would like something like these in a future Bond film.
    If they get the right screenwriter, then I don't mind a Bond film in space again. If not, than keep James Bond out of space.

They never look for the ''wrong'' scriptwriter or the wrong director. But it happens.

I agree with the posters who said already that Bond in space again would be a catastrophic idea... done twice. Pretty much as bad as an invisible car.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited December 2012 Posts: 2,629
    Anyone who thinks Bond should go into space again needs to be launched in an invisible rocket heading towards the sun.
    Kerim wrote:
    Anyone who thinks Bond should go into space again needs to be launched in an invisible rocket heading towards the sun.

And laughed at. That's important.
  • Yes and it should never have happened in the first place, Bond didn't go into space in the novel, and it was only done because of the damn Star Wars excitement of the time, and they went ahead with it, and in retrospect, it was a very bad idea, that should never have been attempted. Poor Fleming must have been spinning like a top with that and some of the other absurd nonsense that Bond got up to that year

I can't see this happening again any time soon, but you never can tell what they'll come up with next. If it has to occur again, don't do it in my lifetime...
    Yes and it should never have happened in the first place, Bond didn't go into space in the novel, and it was only done because of the damn Star Wars excitement of the time, and they went ahead with it, and in retrospect, it was a very bad idea, that should never have been attempted. Poor Fleming must have been spinning like a top with that and some of the other absurd nonsense that Bond got up to that year

I can't see this happening again any time soon, but you never can tell what they'll come up with next. If it has to occur again, don't do it in my lifetime...

Indeed. A bad idea then, an anachronistic bad idea now.
  • Well it did put butts on seats, and if it worked then, what's to stop them trying again, and making more money than ever. That's a genuine concern I have

But it's all about the profits and how much green you can generate to some isn't it, unfortunately. But still quietly confident this will never occur again in this lifetime. It worked for Moore, as a humor-esque Bond, but with Craig who is more serious minded, and other subsequent actors, it's merely an idea they should never attempt again
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    We're safe from this happening again for a long time, if ever I feel. I don't think we'll ever go that over the top again.
  • I don't know Samuel. They've made some bizarre changes and very questionable decisions in recent years, so Bond going into space again in the near future, could very well be a flesh and blood reality

Just because I think it can't happen again, or pray it won't, doesn't mean to say that this indeed won't occur again sooner or later. For the good of the franchise as it currently stands, it's imperative they don't entertain this nonsense idea again
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    With Craig as the lead it won't happen. That much I'm certain of.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 55
    Gravity just happened and another Star Wars on the way so I think it would be a good
    thing.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Flint went into space more realistically than Bond did in MR.
    That said, I don't see why it's off the table in a future film, as long as it's played realistically this time.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Really don't see the point or need of Bond going into space. It's not like anything interesting is happening up there.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Murdock wrote:
    Really don't see the point or need of Bond going into space. It's not like anything interesting is happening up there.
    There could be, soon...
    A secret nut with a satellite destroying platform, a cult that worships a nuclear one... as long as Jaws & Dolly aren't involved, I could see a whole bunch of appropriate scenarios.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    There could be, soon...

That is true. I'm not against Bond going into space as much as I'm against to borrowing old ideas too constantly. I like the little moments in SF. I don't like the oiled Fields in QOS. Space again would be like the latter.
    0013 wrote:
    I don't like the oiled Fields in QOS.
    The worst moment in QOS IMO.
    chrisisall wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    I don't like the oiled Fields in QOS.
    The worst moment in QOS IMO.

I was pretty surprised at it. Didn't see it coming at all; interesting homage to Jill Masterson though.

FoxRox wrote:
    I was pretty surprised at it. Didn't see it coming at all; interesting homage to Jill Masterson though.
    Too easy a reference. It would have worked better if she were on her back with a drop of oil on her lips.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 5,745
    The only acceptable way for Bond to go into space:

Felix Leiter convinces the American military to allow Bond to use a top-secret prototype hypersonic scramjet to quickly move from Edwards Airforce Base in the South West US to his target somewhere in Russia / China / Japan / South East Asia undetected. This plane would fly up into near-space, go hypersonic, and re-enter using it's quick speed and stealth capabilities for Bond to remain undetected. He then parachutes.. blah blah blah.

And that is not going to happen.
  • Now, Sandra Bullock won an Oscar, I doubt very much that they play Gala Brand and receiving Daniel Craig into space anytime soon. Forget it. Store it in my dreams tonight - if at all.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425
    The series seems to be at an impasse with creative fatigue endemic at EON Towers. My suggestion is to blast the whole MI6 team off into space. As others have noted, Star Wars in back with a bang. What better time for Bond to go interstellar all over again?

Any takers @TheWizardOfIce?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Blofeld escapes from prison and travels through a wormhole and Bond goes rogue to find him and foil his plan to destroy the universe through an army of interstellar aliens.?

Take my money now EON!!!
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Could work if they could revolve the plot around space transit.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    As much as I love Moonraker (even as a hardline Fleming purist), I think Bond in space should remain a one-off in the series. It's special to Moonraker and that's the way it should remain. I see no benefit at all in returning the Bond film series to space. We need originality more than ever in Bond films of the future and there is nothing to be gained in aping the ideas of another era that has long since passed.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Only if there's something that comes back to haunt M from his past though!

I'm thinking something along the lines of Tarkovsky's Solaris, but with Bond, aliens and explosions!

Oh and can we have Tanner blasted off through an air lock, a la Drax in MR?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    As much as I love Moonraker (even as a hardline Fleming purist), I think Bond in space should remain a one-off in the series. It's special to Moonraker and that's the way it should remain. I see no benefit at all in returning the Bond film series to space. We need originality more than ever in Bond films of the future and there is nothing to be gained in aping the ideas of another era that has long since passed.

I agree with this. It would be like having another Bond film with a gold-obsessed villain.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Getafix wrote: »
    The series seems to be at an impasse with creative fatigue endemic at EON Towers. My suggestion is to blast the whole MI6 team off into space. As others have noted, Star Wars in back with a bang. What better time for Bond to go interstellar all over again?
    I had commented on this on another thread a few months back. I'm wholeheartedly in favour of the idea. Space travel is closer to reality than ever before, and an Elon Musk type would make for an interesting villain in the Drax mold. There are ways to make science interesting and mysterious rather than cheesy.

A perfect case in point is one of my favourite films, namely Aliens and Demons , which used the Higgs Boson (aka 'The God Particle') nicely. The opening sequence at the CERN Large Hadron Collider has Bond PTS (sans Bond) written all over it.

Ironically, Mr. Craig himself mentioned this possibility (tongue in cheek perhaps) in his infamous 'wrist slasher' Time Out interview:

Every idea I’ve had for a Bond movie, I’ve stuck into this one. It’s gone in. The Bond bank is dry. If you’re asking me what would I do with another Bond movie? I haven’t a clue. Go into space? Let’s do it! They already did it. Let’s do it again.’
    I was joking
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You can always have a space theme in a future Bond film without Bond actually going there himself.