Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    @SaintMark, that is truly impressive and I am happy for the Netherlands.
    @SaintMark, that is truly impressive and I am happy for the Netherlands.

Thanks we are having a great Olympic Games.

• DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited February 2014 Posts: 1,347
    SWDN0001.GIF <font size="7" color="green">5</font> Sweden vs. Slovenia <font size="7" color="red">0</font> SLVA0001.GIF

FINL0001.GIF <font size="7" color="green">3</font> Finland vs. Russia <font size="7" color="red">1</font> RUSS0001.GIF

CANA0001.GIF <font size="7" color="green">2</font> Canada vs. Latvia <font size="7" color="red">1</font> LATV0001.GIF

UNST0001.GIF <font size="7" color="green">5</font> USA vs. Czech Republic <font size="7" color="red">2</font> CZEC0001.GIF

Looking good so far. Russia out in both man and women hockey, quite shocking.
    And today

Women speedskating 5000 metres SILVER-BRONZE

Which means 22 medals so far of which 21 in speedskating, with two more speedskating disciplines to go could bring our total at 24 medals.
    Looking good so far. Russia out in both man and women hockey, quite shocking.

Putin must be mighty upset, I really feel his pain. :!!

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    A very well done to team GBs men for making it into the men's curling final!
    A very well done to team GBs men for making it into the men's curling final!
    Well done. Terrible mistake by our captain.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 4,622
    SaintMark wrote:
    The Russians & Norwegians pulled out of the 10.000 metres speedskating because they saw no chances of winning, the chickens.

translation. The Russians couldn't find a way to rig the result. :P
    Bring on the quarters tomorrow of the most exciting Olympic tournament, meaning ice hockey!

SWDN0001.GIF Sweden vs. Slovenia SLVA0001.GIF

FINL0001.GIF Finland vs. Russia RUSS0001.GIF

CANA0001.GIF Canada vs. Latvia LATV0001.GIF

UNST0001.GIF USA vs. Czech Republic CZEC0001.GIF

I'm quite impressed Latvia beat Switzerland. What's your predictions? Sweden and Canada must advance, can't see anything else happen. The other games are more tight though, but I think Russia and USA.

looking at the semis! Sweden Finland I think is a toss up.
    Canada USA will be a battle royale of NHL superstar stacked teams.
    Anyone of these 4 teams could win gold.
    I wouldn't be schocked if Finland won. They've got a lot of top NHL players and they play like a team. Tenacious as hell.

Mind you Canada does often find a way to win these best-on-best tournaments. And that's what they are ,with the NHL players allowed to play.
    These last 5 Olympic tournaments follow the old Best-on-Best Canada Cup and World Cup showdowns and the two big Canada-Soviet head-to-head series from the '70s.

Canada has won 3 of the last 4 Best-on-Bests.
    2002 Salt Lake City, 2004 World Cup and 2010 Vancouver
    Sweden won 2006 Turin Gold.

Overall, in 13 previous Best-on-Bests.

Canada 8 titles
    Soviet Union 2
    USA 1
    Czech Republic 1
    Sweden 1
    Finland 0
    Slovakia 0

This is why I would love to see the NHL pull out of the Olympics and go back to staging their invite-only World Cup tourneys featuring only the world's legitimate hockey superpowers. ie the 7 listed above, even if SVK layed an egg in Sochi. They still have top players.

From a Canadian pov we put together this NHL superstar National team for Sochi and three of our first four games are against the national teams of Norway, Austria and Latvia. Yawn!!! Thank heaven for the Finland game at least.

But the semis are the real deal.
    The two games tomorrow, and the Gold Medal game will be awesome- best hockey you will see anywhere on the planet!

Sweden vs Finland

Canada vs USA

It doesn't get anybetter. Apologies to Russia and Czech who didn't make the final four cut this time.

Go Canada!!!

Sydney Crosby celebrates his Golden Goal. Vancouver 2010!

ir.ashx?p=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&w=580&mw=580

edited February 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I just now read that Canada won (women's hockey). :) Good show, my northern friends!
    I just now read that Canada won (women's hockey). :) Good show, my northern friends!
    Great news! This is actually the first I have heard of it. Was going to check on that.
    Thats 4 straight women's gold Olympic medals for Canada now.

Yeah! Women! Canada needed that gold to jump in overall official medal standings too, as the IOC ranks by gold first, with silvers as tie-break. We've got lots of silvers, so that gold should shoot us up. We also won womens curling gold today too.
    Woo Hoo! Canadian women "rock". (curling rock,joke heh heh)

ALeqM5jnGvEEUTGv9cAiqHI8oDg5SMOB3Q?size=l
    ALeqM5h4N6-2u2i4p05E5MNWahUEip0Yxw?size=l

timmer wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    The Russians & Norwegians pulled out of the 10.000 metres speedskating because they saw no chances of winning, the chickens.

translation. The Russians couldn't find a way to rig the result. :P

Translation, the Russian did not really play a part even if they got one medal which is 100% more than the folks from the US got. :D But then they got sabotaged by their skating suits which were top of the line by the US standards.

By the way, a great win of the Canadian women in Ice hockey, a well desered win might I add. It was really fought hard for and well deserved at the end.

Congrats to Canada.
    SaintMark wrote:
    By the way, a great win of the Canadian women in Ice hockey, a well desered win might I add. It was really fought hard for and well deserved at the end.

Congrats to Canada.
    Thank you. We need every medal we can get our grubby paws on.
    Norway Netherlands, and the usual USA andRussia are very formidable. Germany too with that big haul of golds.

timmer wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

Congrats to Canada.
    Thank you. We need every medal we can get our grubby paws on.
    Norway Netherlands, and the usual USA andRussia are very formidable. Germany too with that big haul of golds.

The ladies did come through today for Canada in Curling & Ice hockey.

The womens hockey could have gone either way. The USA basically blew a late 2 goal lead.

Canada's Jennifer Jones rink has been dominant though, perfect through the round-robin. Unbeaten all the way to Gold.
    timmer wrote:
    looking at the semis! Sweden Finland I think is a toss up.
    Canada USA will be a battle royale of NHL superstar stacked teams.
    Anyone of these 4 teams could win gold.
    I wouldn't be schocked if Finland won. They've got a lot of top NHL players and they play like a team. Tenacious as hell.

Mind you Canada does often find a way to win these best-on-best tournaments. And that's what they are ,with the NHL players allowed to play.
    These last 5 Olympic tournaments follow the old Best-on-Best Canada Cup and World Cup showdowns and the two big Canada-Soviet head-to-head series from the '70s.

Canada has won 3 of the last 4 Best-on-Bests.
    2002 Salt Lake City, 2004 World Cup and 2010 Vancouver
    Sweden won 2006 Turin Gold.
    Indeed, these semis will be tense. Speaking of NHL stars, the complete Swedish team except one player are in the NHL, not to forget (third most common nationality). For instance, the primary fiver of the Detroit Red Wings are usually exclusively Swedes, including the goalie.

Sweden - Canada in the final, and we'll do our best to stop you from defending the gold :D
  • ManOftheLAWManOftheLAW Banned
    All I could think of during the recent russian bobsledding a few days ago, was OHMSS that classic final chase. Good thing there weren't any branches to hurt the athletes, thank god. I think Russia is a quite nice place to hold the Olympics. The government there has a strong sense of justice and they are a proud people. Why not give them their shot?
    Indeed, these semis will be tense. Speaking of NHL stars, the complete Swedish team except one player are in the NHL, not to forget (third most common nationality). For instance, the primary fiver of the Detroit Red Wings are usually exclusively Swedes, including the goalie.

Sweden - Canada in the final, and we'll do our best to stop you from defending the gold :D
    Canada Sweden final is a good bet. That's what I'd bet. I think Canada can beat USA. USA has been more impressive, but they've been tested by top teams like Russia and the Czechs.
    Canada keeps playing teams that have been less talented, trying to beat them 1-0 with stifling checking games.
    Even the Finns who have a decent amount of talent played this way and managed to force a 1-1 overtime game.
    Canada is sleeping giant I think. Playing a top opponent like USA will finally allow the talent on both teams to shine forth.

And yes the Red Wings would be nothing without their core of Swedes.

Two of Swedens all time best were both big stars in Toronto. Hall of Famers Borje Salming and Matts Sundin ( Maple Leafs all-time leading scorer)

All I could think of during the recent russian bobsledding a few days ago, was OHMSS that classic final chase. Good thing there weren't any branches to hurt the athletes, thank god. I think Russia is a quite nice place to hold the Olympics. The government there has a strong sense of justice and they are a proud people. Why not give them their shot?
    The Russians are a proud and great people, but I don't trust their sport admin people as far as I can throw them.
    Blofeld would probably run more honest games than some of the Russian schemers. The warming of the Luge track; that was an all-time greatest dirty trick even by Russian standards.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I tuned in to the women's hockey final today (US vs. CANADA) when overtime had started, and watched the insane amount of penalties unveil until Canada won. Didn't catch the rest of the game, but with how amazing both the offense and defense was for Canada, I knew they had it in the bag. Of course, I was rooting for the USA, but Canada was playing very well and deserved it.
    Now it's time #:-S

HenrikLundqvist2010WinterOlympics_cropped_.jpg vs. hi-res-117cb7abbd4b54be99c7b551e43d184c_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75
    Canada was very impressive in the first 2-3 minutes of overtime. The USA threw everything they had at them and they weathered the storm. I believe I heard that there are 87,000 registered women hockey players in Canada. WOW!! Go Sweden!!!!!
    Truly well-deserved <font size="7"><font color="green">2</font>-<font color="red">1</font></font> win against Finland, we are in the Olympic ice hockey final!! =D> I'm so happy! :D

Canada - USA will be very interesting, may the best North Americans win!
    And there we have our opponent, Canada! Classic colors in the final, blue/yellow vs. red/white :-bd
    That was an impressive display of ice hockey by the Canadians, congrats.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I want to mention the women's figure skating. Oh, I know there is a bunch of talk now about the controversy of who won the gold. But I want to mention the lovely, supremely gifted, and so admirable figure skater, Mao Asada - who did fall in the short program and was unable to medal this time (she earned silver in Vancouver). She is a true champion in heart and spirit though, and she skated a gorgeous free skate to come from 16th to 6th. She gave it her all, went for broke, and she skated her personal career best on her final skate as a competitor (and no deductions), landing all her jumps and pouring her heart onto that ice. She is almost 100% sure to be retiring after these Olympic games.

Bear with me, because I just want to applaud her in a bit more detail. (Also keep in mind that Mao made this final skate after being blasted publicly by Japan's Olympic committee chairman. Other people in the Japanese media, however, still encouraged her.)

Here is some of what the Washington Post wrote about her final skate:
    With nothing at stake but the performance itself, the 23-year-old Asada returned to the ice and staged a powerhouse of a free skate, nailing her opening triple Axel and thrilling the crowd with three more triples in the first 67 seconds. From one corner of the ice to the other, Asada displayed the range of her jumping prowess, delivering a full range of triples—a flip, a loop, a lutz, toe and a salchow—as well as triple flip, double loop, double loop combination late in the program.

And from USA Today Sports:
    With a top three finish too far out of reach for any great come back, Asada’s skate on Thursday night became about something far greater than medal color or podium height — it was about redemption.
    Skating to Rachmaninoff’s “Piano Concerto No. 2″, Asada gave the performance that was set in place to win her gold. And with a fearful flawlessness that left anyone watching absolutely breathless by its end, she floated through her twists, turns and even the jumps, including that triple axel she is as famous for landing as she is for not landing.
    When the music stopped and she struck what was perhaps the final pose of her career, only seconds passed before Asada broke into heaving sobs amidst the cheers of an adoring crowd. Stress, release of doubt, heartbreak, joy, accomplishment, passion, only Asada knows what was behind the tears that seemed as much a celebration of accomplishment as they were tragic.
    Asada will go home to Japan this week without the gold. But her performance was more than a series of moves meant to win an award. It was the showing of an athlete’s true character, it was the reason the Olympics unify the world and as commentator Johnny Weir proclaimed directly after, it was the reason we watch figure skating.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Mao Asada - a credit to her sport, a very memorable figure skater, a fine role model, and a shining example of what it means to give your all no matter what the circumstances and to conduct yourself with integrity.

I looked for one photo to share, but instead I am posting a link of her entire final skate. It's from a Russian figure skating news site. So I have no idea what the commentators were saying, but they sounded really excited and appreciative. Hope you enjoy this one:
    http://fsnews.ru/forums-m-posts-id-17406.html
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Yesterday during the semifinal between Sweden and Finland were one of those rare moments when an entire country just stands still. The classes ended two hours earlier just for the hockey and on many workplaces people were allowed to watch the match.
    So you can imagine the eruption of happiness when Sweden won. It was a epic moment!

I suspect that the country will stand up tomorrow night in the final too.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    edited February 2014 Posts: 292
    Well as the flame is about to be extinguished for another four years, it is time to look to a future Winter Olympic Games...

PIZ GLORIA 2022!!!

https://www.facebook.com/catchingbullets/photos/a.413377045359317.97372.407779922585696/727817963915222/?type=1&theater

• CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    ?type=1&theater