Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

He also played John Lumic in Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel in Doctor Who. Great villain, great performance.
  • RC7RC7
    Del - We had Denzil in goal, Monkey Harris at left-back, we had... camaraderie.

Trig - Was that the Italian boy?

Brilliant actor, his comic timing was just impeccable. RIP.
    I've just learned that Russell Johnson, the Professor in Gilligan's Island, had died, aged 89 :

http://www.tmz.com/2014/01/16/professor-gilligans-island-died-dead-russell-johnson/
  • Mae Young, pioneer and legend of women's wrestling, has died at the age of 90.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/17/sports/mae-young-an-unladylike-lady-wrestler-dies-at-90.html?_r=0
    Dennis Lindley. He died December 14th 2013 but I just knew it a few dies ago. He was one of the champions of Bayesian statistics.
    If anyone is interested, here a great interview:

666 comments now , watch out or the Boogeyman will get us ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A belated RIP to Roger Lloyd Pack / Trigger.

It's funny to think that early on, Trigger was actually on the ball.

"And, as Del said, all the boys remember Marlene."
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 5,808
    Famous folk musician and writer/composer Pete Seeger has died yesterday, aged 94.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/pete-seeger-legendary-folk-singer-dies-at-94/2014/01/28/36faeec0-c5dc-11df-94e1-c5afa35a9e59_story.html

His contribution to popular music all over the world can't be praised enough. So many great songs, covered by so many artists, in so many languages :

And I could go on and on and on
    Just learned of the passing of austrian actor Maximilian Schell, today, aged 83. A great actor who played in a lot of classic movies : Judgment at Nuremberg, Topkapi, The Odessa File, A Bridge too Far and so many others. Incidentally, he was also the brother of Maria Schell.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Gerard wrote:
    Just learned of the passing of austrian actor Maximilian Schell, today, aged 83. A great actor who played in a lot of classic movies : Judgment at Nuremberg, Topkapi, The Odessa File, A Bridge too Far and so many others. Incidentally, he was also the brother of Maria Schell.

Not forgetting Peckinpah's Cross Of Iron. Top film. Top actor. RIP.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Philip Seymour Hoffman has been found dead in an apartment in Manhattan.

NO :(
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited February 2014 Posts: 16,330
    Oh my god. that's awful news. Rest in peace Philip. You will be missed. :(
  • Just heard the news, too. It's awful, he was only in his forties and very talented.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Just heard it, that's terrible. He was one of my favourite actors :(
    Gosh this is tragic. So young, and such an amazing actor. He looked much older than he was.
    I had heard of his struggle with heroin addiction but I thought it was part of the past. He had several films in post-production, in pre-production, was directing himself... so many projects. What a loss!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Very disheartening to hear this news. RIP Philip. If anyone needed the reminder, once again, don't do drugs as this is what happens. Such a waste of a life.
  • Dragonpol2Dragonpol2 The Crazy World of Daniel Dragonpol
    Sad news. I have his film Capote and may now watch it in his memory. He looked older than his years and I hope he had a full life.
    RIP Phillip Seymour Hoffman
    My Dad and I will watch The Big Lebowski tonight after the Super Bowl.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    PSH dead? I'm in shock. :(
    The guy was only 46...
    Just woke up from a nap and I saw this news immediately flash up on my Yahoo account. Absolutely dreadful news. Such a brilliantly talented actor. I'm in shock again. Too much death already this year.

RIP
    edited February 2014 Posts: 23,547
    If it's heroin that killed him, then all I can say is that I'm not surprised. H is terribly filthy business. I've been told that it's virtually impossible to get rid of it. Only a small minority succeeds. Most people who officially drop the habit discover that a latent desire remains. Doing H is like setting a trap for life. I'm not one for drugs anyone, in whatever shape or form. 'Soft' or 'hard' is a perfectly neglectable distinction here IMO. Drugs is drugs. Drugs kill. Phillip, you fool! You were a brilliant actor. This is just sad.
    Very very upsetting. One of my favorite actors. RIP
    edited February 2014 Posts: 4,012
    DarthDimi wrote:
    If it's heroin that killed him, then all I can say is that I'm not surprised. H is terribly filthy business. I've been told that it's virtually impossible to get rid of it. Only a small minority succeeds. Most people who officially drop the habit discover that a latent desire remains. Doing H is like setting a trap for life. I'm not one for drugs anyone, in whatever shape or form. 'Soft' or 'hard' is a perfectly neglectable distinction here IMO. Drugs is drugs. Drugs kill. Phillip, you fool! You were a brilliant actor. This is just sad.

Very true. All drugs are bad, but Heroin is one of the worst, especially in terms of long-term addiction. The mechanism of action on the brain is horrendous in its effects (not to speak of the rest of the body) but scientifically fascinating.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Heard about it a few hours ago, so sad that he fell off the wagon and got back into drugs in 2012. The world has lost one of the greatest actors I've ever seen today. RIP, Mr. Hoffman. You will be greatly missed.
    Terrible news. One of the absolute best actors and several decades too young to die. A huge talent, a huge loss.
  • RIP. Brilliant actor and way too young.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    'Soft' or 'hard' is a perfectly neglectable distinction here IMO. Drugs is drugs. Drugs kill.

There is a difference between softer and harder drugs though. Having a spliff every now and again won't kill you. Smoking too much weed can have bad effects sure but it won't kill you and weed's been proven to be less harmful than alcohol and tobacco.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 23,547
    RIP. Brilliant actor and way too young.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    'Soft' or 'hard' is a perfectly neglectable distinction here IMO. Drugs is drugs. Drugs kill.

There is a difference between softer and harder drugs though. Having a spliff every now and again won't kill you. Smoking too much weed can have bad effects sure but it won't kill you and weed's been proven to be less harmful than alcohol and tobacco.

Technically that is certainly correct but I have seen even weed bring people down to a state that only a cynic would call life. Worse still is that weed addiction opens the gates to tougher stuff...
  • Dragonpol2Dragonpol2 The Crazy World of Daniel Dragonpol
    DarthDimi wrote:
    RIP. Brilliant actor and way too young.
    DarthDimi wrote:

Technically that is certainly correct but I have seen even weed bring people down to a state that only a cynic would call life. Worse still is that weed addiction opens the gates to tougher stuff...

I agree, drugs are bad, whether soft or hard. Just read the opening chapter of Fleming's Goldfinger to see the lives heroin destroyed even in the 1950s.
  • Major bummer. He was brilliant in Capote and The Master. Plus he had three young kids.