Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• The Master was awesome...why a successful actor and the top of his game would do this?

What a waste? And I'm sure the church of S will come under scrutiny for this....it does not make sense he would do this...does not make sense.
    Cannot believe Philip Seymour Hoffman has died! 46 is no age at all! He will be sorely missed! A brilliant talent which has been taken away from far far too early! RIP Phil!
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Just learned of this news regarding Mr. Hoffman. Very tragic indeed. He had so much depth as an actor and made every film he was in better with his performance.
  • PSH also did a great job in Happiness which is also a great film, pretty disturbing though.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He was a great villain in Mission Impossible III. Very sinister and evil.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2014 Posts: 4,453
    media_xl_2078875.jpg
    On picture with the Dutch directer/photographer Anton Corbijn for ''A Most Wanted Man'' for later this year.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 already finished, but that not count for part 2.

From the 7 movies i have with him, i have seen Talented Mr Ripley and Mi3. The first movie i must have seen from him be Twister. 25th hour i rent in 2003 or so.

My wish to see him back in another Mission Impossible movie (His chacter never died on screen after the bit weird and very quike
    the car exident
    in the movie.) died with him too. What i liked to see is that some team members from Mi3 and Mi4 team up together and then his chacter whant to take revenge and Ethan from other hand be remember to somethin happend in Mi3. Hoffman His chacter be so crazy that i see see him doing this.

RIP. He was such a brilliant actor. I wonder how this will effect MockingJay?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Just heard this on the radio, what a complete shock. A superb actor indeed, RIP.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That is just sad.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Philip Seymour Hoffman was certainly one of the best actors of his generation. I first recall being impressed by him in Scent of a woman, but later in Boogie Nights he really caught my attention as to the talent he had. Roles in Happiness, Big Lebowski, Patch Adams, Mission Impossible 3 and Red Dragon to name a few each showed what a hugely talented character actor he was. A sad loss to the movie world, and fans of such a great actor, who has passed far too soon.
    RIP
    DarthDimi wrote:
    RIP. Brilliant actor and way too young.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    'Soft' or 'hard' is a perfectly neglectable distinction here IMO. Drugs is drugs. Drugs kill.

There is a difference between softer and harder drugs though. Having a spliff every now and again won't kill you. Smoking too much weed can have bad effects sure but it won't kill you and weed's been proven to be less harmful than alcohol and tobacco.

Technically that is certainly correct but I have seen even weed bring people down to a state that only a cynic would call life. Worse still is that weed addiction opens the gates to tougher stuff...

A lot of people are also more vulnerable to drugs, mild or not, han others. I wonder if heroin doesn't explain Hoffman's ageing look. In recent years he seemed to be at least ten years older than he was.
    Tragic.

John Cacavas , 83.......he was a friend of Telly back then.
  • Shirley Temple passed away today :(
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote:
    With the death of Shirley Temple, and Joan Fontaine a few months back, we are close to shutting the door on the Golden Age of Hollywood. We only have five or six survivors from the glorious days when movie stars were elegant and perceived as more than human. The days of style, grace and class. It makes me sick that modern Hollywood does not treat these people like royalty. How much longer before Mickey Rooney, Maureen O'Hara, Joan Fontaine, Lauren Bacall, Kirk Douglas (he barely qualifies, chronologically) and Luise Rainer (she's 104) are gone? Once they are, that link to a time when movies and movie stars were fresh and special and a major part of our collective identity is going to be nothing but pictures and memoirs. It will have no living ambassador to our world today.

That is the way of the world, and always has been. I once saw Mickey Rooney in downtown New York by the way. It was in 1990, and it did not seem like anyone recognized him. Or maybe they just respectfully held their distance, like me.

RIP Shirley Temple. @};-
    Birdleson wrote:
    With the death of Shirley Temple, and Joan Fontaine a few months back, we are close to shutting the door on the Golden Age of Hollywood. We only have five or six survivors from the glorious days when movie stars were elegant and perceived as more than human. The days of style, grace and class. It makes me sick that modern Hollywood does not treat these people like royalty. How much longer before Mickey Rooney, Maureen O'Hara, Joan Fontaine, Lauren Bacall, Kirk Douglas (he barely qualifies, chronologically) and Luise Rainer (she's 104) are gone? Once they are, that link to a time when movies and movie stars were fresh and special and a major part of our collective identity is going to be nothing but pictures and memoirs. It will have no living ambassador to our world today.

That is the way of the world, and always has been. I once saw Mickey Rooney in downtown New York by the way. It was in 1990, and it did not seem like anyone recognized him. Or maybe they just respectfully held their distance, like me.

RIP Shirley Temple. @};-

I didn't realise she retired in 1949!

RIP.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 1,645
    Eli Wallach is also still kicking , same with Zsa Zsa ;)

(although the Grim Reaper has had Zsa Zsa in a few head locks last few yrs)

Campbell Lane 1935-2014 RIP (Skeletor on "NA He-Man" , not "Masters of Universe")

Also Hal Sutherland died Jan and Lou Scheimer passed in Oct (both Filmation founders) , I guess He-Man people die in three.
    I remember that, among all the old movies we saw religiously on sunday afternoons on TV (way back when TV was black and white, and France had only two channels), there were some of Shirley Temple's movies. I remember Wee Willie Winkle and Just Around the Corner, and of course, Fort Apache. A little part of my childhood has died. Just one more, you might say.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited February 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I truly loved Shirley Temple's films! And I respect them now, too, as an adult. She was very talented and I was glad she could move on after acting and have a full life. RIP, dear Shirley: you touched so many people around the world, made them smile, and lifted their hearts.

Also, I just read that the director of Babette's Feast, Gabriel Axel, has passed away. He was 95. I remember that film - it was moving, well paced and so well written, lovingly filmed and acted. I'll try to see some of his other films, too.
    I truly loved Shirley Temple's films! And I respect them now, too, as an adult. She was very talented and I was glad she could move on after acting and have a full life. RIP, dear Shirley: you touched so many people around the world, made them smile, and lifted their hearts.

Also, I just read that the director of Babette's Feast, Gabriel Axel, has passed away. He was 95. I remember that film - it was moving, well paced and so well written, lovingly filmed and acted. I'll try to see some of his other films, too.

Babette's Feast is one of my mother's favourite movie. Such a nice movie.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Sid Caesar the Comic has passed away aged 91 RIP.
    Ralph Waite who played Papa Walton has died at the age of 85. Later in life he aslo appeared in The Bodyguard and Cliffhanger.

RIP.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Goodnight John Boy .
    Sir Tom Finney, one of the all time greats of English football, has passed away at the age of 91.
  • I don't recognize the soccer player but offer condolences to his immediate family, and that is a fine age to get to. I hope the player endured a successful career.

Sorry also to learn of the passing of Waite, who finally says Goodnight for the last time. Always remembered by some for his 'bizarre' performance in Cliffhanger when Tucker loses his girlfriend near the beginning. RIP to both, as well as all other recently mentioned names, including the iconic Temple

May they rest in peace
    Birdleson wrote:
    Tracy wrote:
    Eli Wallach is also still kicking , same with Zsa Zsa ;)

(although the Grim Reaper has had Zsa Zsa in a few head locks last few yrs)

Neither of those are from Hollywood's Golden Age, they both started working in the '50s. There are still plenty alive from that generation. I'm talking about the original post-talkie era (Luise Rainer actually was in the silents). Those whose careers began in the '20s, 30s or early '40s. Before television.

Hmm , I sort of think of 50s/60s as golden age too but I see your point ;)

Shirley Temple
    Phillip Seymour Hoffman
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Birdleson wrote:
    No, that was way past Golden Age. An entirely different era and sensibility. Not saying that great films weren't being made, but the original stars were already fading. Television had brought a different type of celebrity to America. Late '40s to late '50s are the Silver Age. By the mid-50s we had method acting. The '60s is when we get the renegades, the new free Hollywood.
    I think the "official" demarkation for The Golden Age of Hollywood is 1930 - 45.

Isn't Luise Rainer the first actress to win back to back Academy Awards, yet incredibly was more or less forgotten in a very short period of time?
    WWE Mabel , 43.......most likely weight related.