007 references in popular culture

edited January 2015 in Trivia & Games Posts: 4,622
I thought it would be fun to collect popular references to 007 in popular culture, be it movies, books, music etc.
A couple of new film releases have major Bond references.

American Hustle (2013) starring Christian Bale.
Jennifer Lawrence as Roslyn mimes to the original Wings Live and Let Die played full blast, in a scene in which she sells her husband Irving out to her new mobster beau and she decides to ... live and let die.

Scorcese's The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
A couple of Bond references in this film.
1. Contemporary soul queen Sharon Jones and her band the Dap Kings recently recorded a cover of "Goldfinger" – the theme song to the James Bond flick of same name – that appears in Martin Scorsese's film The Wolf of Wall Street. Jones struts and stomps all over the song, matching the melodramatic force of Shirley Bassey's original but with an extra saunter echoed in the Dap-Kings' boozy horns.
Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/sharon-jones-covers-goldfinger-for-the-wolf-of-wall-street-20131226#ixzz2pmN1BdSo

Jones performs the song on screen too during a wedding scene.

2. Leonardo Dicaprio as Jonathan Belfort relaxing on his yacht with a couple of visiting federal agents, says if he's going to own a luxury yacht befitting a Bond villain, then he might have to act like one sometimes.

Here's a third. It goes back a bit. Kylie Minogue's song Loveboat, from her 2000 album, Light Years, references "007 heaven"
"Have an havanna
Pass me a peach
Rub on some lotion
The places l can't reach Cool down with cocktails
Lose all your cares
007 Heaven Sur la mer
We'll float 'cause the beach is just boring
Our loveboat is more alluring"

There are so many more. As we find them old and new, we can list them here.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2014 Posts: 17,727
    What a great idea for a thread, @timmer.

Here's a new great new article by Edward Biddulph on his incomparable James Bond memes blog that deals with this subject matter in Cars 2:

http://jamesbondmemes.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/the-bond-references-in-cars-2.html
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Another Leonardo DiCaprio film - Catch Me If You Can.

His character is dubbed the "James Bond of the sky" by the press so he watches Goldfinger, gets himself a suit as worn by Connery in the film and buys an Aston Martin DB5. All to the sound of the Bond theme playing.

(That's as close as Spielberg will ever get to helming a Bond film).

In the film Ted, Octopussy is referenced quite heavily.
    In American Beauty (directed by Sam Mendes), Kevin Spacey's character bemoans the fact he's missing "the James Bond marathon on TNT".

In Grosse Point Blank, John Cusack arrives back home to find his house has been demolished to make way for an Ulti-Mart, to the tune of Live And Let Die (albeit the Guns & Roses cover)
    In the film Ted, Octopussy is referenced quite heavily.

Homer Simpson also mentions it in The Simpsons to show that he approves of all things British.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Speaking of The Simpsons, it's loaded with Bond references.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Speaking of The Simpsons, it's loaded with Bond references.

Yes, I'm sure that it is, although I don't really watch it, hence this being the only reference I can recall, apart from Hank Scorpio of course.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,879
    There's also one of the early Treehouse of Horrors where Homer gets a hair transplant and Marge says to him "If your fly wasn't undone, you'd look like Roger Moore".

There's also a visual gag in another episode of a photo of Sean Connery which is signed 'Best Wishes. Roger Moore'. :))
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    @signed by roger Moore uses that as his avatar .
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    In one Treehouse episode, they buy a house with voice...

"It has the voice of the best James Bond actor!"
    Marge: "George Lazenby??"
    "Nooo, Pierce Brosnan!" (for real)
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings from Wolf of Wall Street.
    It's a good cover I think.

and of course there is Robbie Williams famous 1998 Bond tribute video, Millenium, with sampling of YOLT.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcvyj_robbie-williams-millennium_news
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Incredibles. The trailer music is an arrangement of the OHMSS theme. The movie's score is heavily inspired and influenced by John Barry's music from the 60's era Bond films. Syndrome's lair looks like a cross between Blofeld's volcano lair and Stromburg's Atlantis lair. Edna Mode a Q type character who designs Super hero costumes. Her lab looks a lot like Q's lab in Goldfinger. And lastly. Mr. Incredible drives a car which looks similar to a DB5.
    Our Man from Bond Street. Look at all the references :

Just watched Episode 2 Season 3 of Arrested Development. A few references to Bond throughout, most notably this:

:D
    "For British Eyes Only" :P
    "Mad Mission 3,Our Man From Bond Street" (two posts above) replaces May Day with Jaws at fake Eiffel Tower.
    Is that an actual spyfy spoof TV show?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited January 2014 Posts: 4,418
    I love Buffy the Vampire Slayer - it can have you crying with laughter at one moment, and crying with tears at the next. It's got everything, humor, action, drama, farce, emotion, horror, sex and the dialogue is bloody witty, plus it's loaded with smart pop culture references -

http://www.slayageonline.com/EBS/intertexts_allusions/Numbers/007.htm
    timmer wrote:
    "For British Eyes Only" :P
    "Mad Mission 3,Our Man From Bond Street" (two posts above) replaces May Day with Jaws at fake Eiffel Tower.
    Is that an actual spyfy spoof TV show?

Here's some info from the You Tube blurb.

"Aces Go Places 3 or Mad Mission 3:Our Man from Bond Street (US title), is a series of Hong Kong action comedy films that are parodies of the James Bond film series.
    The films star Sam Hui as King Kong, a master thief and martial arts expert who is aided by his bumbling sidekick, Detective Albert "Baldy" Au, portrayed by Karl Maka.
    The series began in 1982, with the first two films directed by Eric Tsang. Subsequent films were directed, respectively by Tsui Hark, Ringo Lam and Lau Kar-leung.
    This is a Trailer from MAD MISSION 3 from 1984."

===
    royale65 wrote:
    I love Buffy the Vampire Slayer - it can have you crying with laughter at one moment, and crying with tears at the next. It's got everything, humor, action, drama, farce, emotion, horror, sex and the dialogue is bloody witty, plus it's loaded with smart pop culture references -

http://www.slayageonline.com/EBS/intertexts_allusions/Numbers/007.htm

Bravo to the good folks at "The Encyclopedia of Buffy Studies" to fully detail and catalogue the "References to James Bond (007)... made three times in the Buffy series. "
    But actually they itemize 6 unique Bond references in 6 different episodes, not just three.

==The segment that has always stood out for me is the long debate that the three nerds have in the car, over who was the best James Bond. Funny stuff. Naturally I find myself relating to Warren's pro-Connery arguments. Warren was also the baddest of the three.

"And in Season 6, the episode “Life Serial” has the Troika launching an offensive on Buffy, while arguing which actor was more adept at portraying Bond:

Andrew: We are really super villains now, like . . . like Dr. No [villain from Sean Connery’s first film as James Bond].

Warren: Yeah, back when Bond was Connery and the movies were decent.

Jonathon: (scoffing) Who remembers Connery? I mean, Roger Moore was smooth.

Warren: You’re insane. You’re short, and you’re insane.

Andrew: I like Timothy Dalton!

This conversation is continued in another scene from the same episode:

Warren: Connery is Bond. He had style.

Jonathan: Yeah, but Roger Moore was funny.

Warren: Moonraker? The gondola turns into a hovercraft? It’s retarded. Besides, the guy had, like, no edge.

Andrew: Dalton had edge. In License to Kill he was a rogue agent. That’s edgy. (Warren and Jonathon look at him incredulously). And he was amazing in The Living Daylights.

Jonathan: Yeah, which was written for Roger Moore, not Timothy Dalton!

Warren: Okay, this is stupid! We’re wasting time. End of discussion. (Jonathon and Andrew nod their agreement, turn to their consoles, and begin typing)…I mean, there’s a shot of like, pigeons, doing double takes when the gondola blasted by! Moonraker . . . is inexcusable. (Andrew and Jonathan stare at him).

And the same conversation is concluded, in another scene, with:

Warren: Connery is the only actor in the bunch.

Andrew: Timothy Dalton should get an Oscar and (yells) beat Sean Connery over the head with it! "

bump

just finished watching Season 5 of HBO's 12 episode True Blood. There are a couple of Bond references from the 3000 year-old vampire character Russell Edgington, played by Denis O'Hare.In one episode he introduces himself as Edgington, Russell Edgington, in a very Bond-like manner. In another episode while selling another vampire on hitting the town and and letting lose, he says it will be very James Bond like. The character has a thing for Bond.

Denis O'Hare as Russell Edgington

true_blood_season_5_poster_by_syllirium-d52im5t.jpg
  • Alan partridge is also full of bond references. Especially the episode 'never say Alan again.' He plans a big bond marathon and even acts out the opening of the spy who loved me. :)
  • Dragonpol2Dragonpol2 The Crazy World of Daniel Dragonpol
    MrDJWest wrote:
    Alan partridge is also full of bond references. Especially the episode 'never say Alan again.' He plans a big bond marathon and even acts out the opening of the spy who loved me. :)

Not forgetting that Roger Moore was nearly a guest on Knowing Me, Knowing You with Alan Partridge...A-HA!
    Dragonpol2 wrote:
    MrDJWest wrote:
    Alan partridge is also full of bond references. Especially the episode 'never say Alan again.' He plans a big bond marathon and even acts out the opening of the spy who loved me. :)

Not forgetting that Roger Moore was nearly a guest on Knowing Me, Knowing You with Alan Partridge...A-HA!

His dad never forgave him for that! =))
  • Dragonpol2Dragonpol2 The Crazy World of Daniel Dragonpol
    Dragonpol2 wrote:
    MrDJWest wrote:

His dad never forgave him for that! =))

Yes, indeed! I read in his bio that Roger's dad thought the show was for real on its transmission in 1994. In a way, knowing that he was an older gentleman, I can't say I blame him as it was a new type of comic endeavour.
    Just watched 2012 Academy Award Best Picture winner, Argo.
    Alan Arkin movie mogul character loudly refers to Ben Affleck character as wanting to unleash a 007 Bond-like rescue mission of the embassy hostages.
    He's not pooh-poohing the idea, just using Bond to underscore the boldness of it all.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Burn Notice TV series, season 6 (2012)
    American spy series about a burned spy, Michael Weston, played by Jeffrey Donovan. Also starring the great Bruce Campbell and Gabrielle Anwar as lead babe.

The commentary to Episode 6, Schock Wave, by Director Renny Harlin, Donovan, Campbell and Producer Matt Nix features a spirited comparison of the episode's "home alone" segment to the "home alone" segment in Skyfall.Campbell's character and another guy are trapped in a mansion, and under assault by heavily armed attackers. They fend off the attack by improvising various booby traps and such, much like Bond, M and Kincade do in defence of SF Manor.
    Harlin goes on at length, explaining that his episode does a much better job explaining how and why the devices actually work. Says Bond just kind of glossed over it.
    They all have a great time, especially Director Harlin (and yes, it's thee Renny Harlin of Die Hard fame) speculating that Bond borrowed the idea from their show (har har har) which aired July of 2012.
    Its a fun listen. Donovan and Campbell btw love poking fun at their own show, during these very off-the-cuff occasional commentaries that they do.
    Great TV show. Now finished. It ran one more season 7, in 2013 and then done.
    Bruce Campbell is hilarious as burned spy Donovan's sidekick.

BurnNoticeSeason6DVD.jpg

Re Seth Green's "Santa Bond" (one post above). Very funny spoof of the CR pts and opening titles!
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Bruce Willis as John McClane in A Good Day to Die Harder (2013) takes jabs at his secret agent son. Mocks him as "The 007 of Plainfield, New Jersey. Very nice" Then labels his partner as Oddjob.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,622
    There is a great in-joke reference to Honor Blackman leaving the Avengers TV series to pursue screen stardom in GF.
    The episode is found in The Avengers 65, Season 4, Episode 4-12, first aired 25Dec65, titled Too Many Christmas Trees.

Steed and Peel are opening Christmas cards in Steed's apartment. Steed gets a card from his old partner Cathy Gale (Blackman's role for two seasons).
    He remarks how nice it is to hear from her, but wonders "what must she be doing at Fort Knox?"
    Har har har! :))
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Ken Grimmwood's 1986 novel Replay has an extended Bond passage. I'll transcribe the exact passage at some point, but basically the book is about a 43-year-old guy, who dies in 1988, but re-awakes in 1963, in his 18-year-old body. He gets to keep replaying his life over and over, up until he dies again, each time in 1988.
    In one of his replays, its still 1963, he's hanging out with a pal who wants to go see Dr No for the umpteenth time. The film is a big hit in the US cinema. They yak on about it for some length.
    I just happened to pull this book off my shelf and read it for the first time. The paperback had been sitting for a long time, unread.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Greg Iles latest thriller, Natchez Burning (2014)

One of the characters refers to another character as having a laugh as deep as the voodoo baron in Live and Let Die.

Reference to Geoffrey Holder as Baron Samedi, quite clearly.

===2013 Pierce Brosnan caper-comedy, The Love Punch.

film opens with a martini being shaken. We see only the shaker and the barman's hands.
    Barman pours the drink for Emma Thompson, at which point Broz arrives on the scene and says he'll have the same. Ha ha ha. Bond in-joke.