The Raid/The Raid 2: Berandal

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I would very much like to see the film on a big screen and with the proper sound system putting me as close to the fights as physically possible. I have nothing against a good night at home with a fine DVD, but it doesn't cold a candle to the proper theatrical experience. ;-)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I would very much like to see the film on a big screen and with the proper sound system putting me as close to the fights as physically possible. I have nothing against a good night at home with a fine DVD, but it doesn't cold a candle to the proper theatrical experience. ;-)

Totally agreed again. I prefer being home at times so I can just have silence during a film, but you just cannot beat the big screen, nor can you beat seeing a huge film for the first time and having people cheer/clap during a proper scene/actor or something. It's happened in some excellent times in my past and I loved it. Hell, when SF opened and Bond just steps into view, everyone lost their minds...including myself.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 40,372
    YES!! Here is the full-length Indonesian trailer for 'The Raid 2: Beranthal.' Evans (director) says that the story elements shown in the trailer are revealed in the first act, so there's no need to worry about massive spoilers:

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-raid-2-indonesian-trailer-violence-explodes-across-jakarta/

EDIT: This film just looks unbelievable. When the orchestral music kicks in and the first little fight scene kicks off, I was blown away. Bring it on.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited January 2014 Posts: 11,139
    Was just about to post this. Good looking out @Creasy. This film looks bananas!

Also

THE RAID 2: BERANDAL Writer-Director Gareth Evans Comments on the Sequel, THE RAID 3, Action Sequences, VFX Work and Deleted Scenes on Blu-ray

http://m.collider.com/collider/#!/entry/the-raid-2-berandal-writerdirector-gareth-evans-comments-on-the,52c30e08025312186cad0599
    @doubleoego, thank you! This film looks just unbelievable. My friend and I were raving about the full trailer this morning. That steadicam sequence has me already itching to pick this film up on blu-ray, which I would no doubt do either way.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    YES! I need to watch this film!!

Thanks, @Creasy47.
    Yeah that steady can scene which got cut pains me that it didn't make the final edit but at least we'll still be able to see it. Also, the tease of that last fight sounds like it's going to be epic.....just take my money already!
    @DarthDimi, you're quite welcome. The fight that's teased between Rama and the other man at the end has me really excited, especially since Evans talked about how it took 1 1/2 months to film it and get it all together. Not sure if anyone knows this, but the man that Rama goes up against at the end of the trailer is the same one that Rama and his brother fight at the end of 'The Raid': same actor, just a different character.
    Yeah, I heard the actor who played mad dog was cast as a new character for this film. In the raid he was definitely a tough bastard to kill. This is by far my most anticipated movie of 2014 and I hope I get a similar audience to watch it with as I did with the first one.
    Gareth was really talking up the fight between Rama and the actor who played Mad Dog in the sequel, so I'm really anticipating it.
  • Looks just as tedious and inhumane as the first film.
    I'm afraid I feel the same way. "The Raid" was not without great cinematic skill, but I just find the brutal details depressing, unnecessary and ... Roman-esque. I'm just glad the Bond films have not conformed to this brutal, cynical style of action film (a la The Raid 1 & 2, The Expendables, Kick-Ass, etc.).
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    As someone who caught The Raid theatrically I can wait for part 2 and that trailer is immense.

I think this could easily surpass Die Hard in the action and unlike the DH series this won't be diminishing returns.
    @Shardlake, I love that it's taking a broader scope now, not solely confined to one building. Don't get me wrong, the first film was perfect, but it'll be nice to have some more story with this one, so the action sequences that we do get are worth the wait.
    edited January 2014 Posts: 4,043
    Looks just as tedious and inhumane as the first film.
    I'm afraid I feel the same way. "The Raid" was not without great cinematic skill, but I just find the brutal details depressing, unnecessary and ... Roman-esque. I'm just glad the Bond films have not conformed to this brutal, cynical style of action film (a la The Raid 1 & 2, The Expendables, Kick-Ass, etc.).

Each to his own but the Raid doesn't deserved to be lumped with garbage like Expendables, personally I will admit that The Raid narrowly topped Skyfall as film of 2012.

No it wouldn't work with Bond and I wouldn't expect it but I was literally exhausted after watching the Raid on the big screen, it was exhilarating

You didn't like it I loved it and this looks even better. Agree @Creasy47 the scope opening up for this is an exciting prospect, just looking for a UK release date, guess the reviews will be dripping through soon as this is at Sundance this month.

Probably my most awaited film of 2014.
    A65Esjo.gif JJcFZKA.gif
    q8Z2JYp.gif lLPV07l.gif
    vQZo4AZ.gif 8eC8oGp.gif
    UvQ1eXo.gif Uj47yyA.gif
    I can't say I'm as sated for any film this year more than the Raid 2 Berandel, this looks incredible and will know doubt embarrass the majority of Hollywood product out there in 2014.
  • This is going to be be brilliant. Seems to have everything I loved about the first film and more. Can't wait.
    edited January 2014 Posts: 11,139
    BNk28xo.gif

7glP0ao.gif

New trailer

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-news/raid-2-berandal-exclusive-trailer-premiere-034238407.html

This film premieres tonight at Sundance.

Can't wait for this! Take my Money now!!
    Sundance 2014 First Impression: THE RAID 2 Is More Epic Than We Ever Imagined

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/01/sundance-2014-first-impression-the-raid-2.html

These early reviews have me so excited, BUT, the Sundance cut will not be what we see. I hear that version is completely and totally unrated and should've warranted an NC-17 rating, apparently, due to violence, perhaps? It's not the version we'll see when it's widely released in theaters.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 4,043
    Finally a date for the UK, April 11th, can't wait this looks epic. I thought the first film was as good as Die Hard but unlike DH 2 Berandel looks to be doing a Dark Knight and developing things and taking into a totally new epic direction.

Some pics

http://m.collider.com/collider/?ref=http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=464513&page=7#!/entry/530b903c025312186cd68485&origin=http://collider.com/the-raid-2-images/&oswts=1394122912791

The Raid 2 - Critics TV Spot
    [YT]p31CZ0rsL1E[/YT]

Review ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

http://www.totalfilm.com/reviews/cinema/the-raid-2
    Quote:
    Verdict:

Sumptuously shot, perfectly paced and flat-out exhilarating, The Raid 2 cements Evans as the best action director working today. Fight aficionados should brace themselves for a bruising, blistering ride.

Anyone else hear that they have a confirmed director for 'The Raid' remake? Disgusting.
    Yep but I won't be watching it because it'll never be as good nor as authentic as the original.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Having to wait until the end of this month or April? Oh, it could be worse. You could be ... I don't know; in Japan.
    Although I haven't checked to see if I can even find out when it opens here ... :-B
    everybody else, hope you enjoy and let me know about the film, please!
    @doubleoego, I will just to see how they tackle it (like my interest in 'Oldboy,') but it won't expand beyond that. I doubt it'll be better in any aspect.
    I haven't seen the new Oldboy yet and i'll watch if and when I can but I'm not going to go out of my way to see it as I'm more than satisfied with the original and that goes times more so regarding the Raid series.

Check this out

This is going to be amazing. My expectations for it were already high but the reviews, trailers, etc, have convinced me that this is going to be the best film of the year, just like the original was.

Gareth Evans for Bond 25!
    Evans will be busy with other work but he'd definitely be able to bring innovation to action scenes for a Bond film.