Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

Ludovico wrote:
    (including a different title)

Nothing wrong with DAD's title. It's snappy, memorable, Bondanian and it made sense in the context of the film.

I think the Bonds that most need title changes are TND (should've been Tommorow Never Lies) and Quantum Of Solace (should've been Property Of A Lady).

The title of DAD was the least of its flaws, but it still could have been better. I find the Italian translation better: Death can wait.
  • By the time DAD arrived on the scene, there should have been an iron law in place forbidding the use of "die" and its cognates in titles.
    It is true that it had been often used.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 6,396
    DAD maybe wouldn't have been so bad as a title if we hadn't already had the word "Die" used just two films before it.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 57
    Ludovico wrote:
    I thought Janus could have been the recurring villain, but in a different way: have Trevelyan the commander in the field so to speak for GE, who told them everything he knew about the 00 section, so they are a worthy adversary, have some former KGB as the head of Janus and mentor of Trevelyan (it still works, two heads, like Janus, one body, i.e. the organisation).
    The problem with that is, Janus means two-faced. Janus has one head with a face on either side, not two heads. Trevelyan was two-faced because he was posing a a British agent, but was actually scheming against the UK. The double meaning is lost if some random Russian is the villain.

I'd probably agree with Trevelyan not being a very "active" villain if it weren't for that amazing fight scene at the end where he and Bond brutally beat each other in the antenna cradle. That scene alone makes him a threat.
    It is a relatively minor switch of meaning. Two faces, one organisation. Like the Spangled mob. And it is not like Trevelyan had literally two faces. Have one villain survive and the other die.
    I'd rather watch either of the Dalton Bonds than any of the Moore films.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

My controversy meter registers "LOW" here.
    chrisisall wrote:

Mine registers so "HIGH" that not one but two eyebrows have been raised.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Michael Kamen should have scored another Bond movie.
    Timothy Dalton should have acted in a few of the previous Moore films. he would have totally gotten rid of all that silly camp stuff that Moore loved sooooo much.

Gimme break.
    Timothy Dalton should have acted in a few of the previous Moore films. he would have totally gotten rid of all that silly camp stuff that Moore loved sooooo much.

Gimme break.

I assume you feel the same way about Connery seeing how all the silly camp stuff began on his watch.

Gimme break.

Maybe in FYEO and AVTAK. But not Octopussy. That movie was made for Roger Moores Bond. I cant see anyone else other then Moore doing OP

Gimme break.

I assume you feel the same way about Connery seeing how all the silly camp stuff began on his watch.

Actually that's a good lead-in to MY controversial opinion:

I'd be completely fine if Connery only had three or four films. In fact I think it would've been better that way.

Gimme break.

I'd be completely fine if Connery only had three or four films. In fact I think it would've been better that way.

Yeah that's not a bad shout. He looks totally fed up with the whole thing by the time we get to YOLT and he pretty much phones in his performance in DAF.

Gimme break.

Yeah that's not a bad shout. He looks totally fed up with the whole thing by the time we get to YOLT and he pretty much phones in his performance in DAF.

My dream timeline for the bond films is that they're done in book order (at least roughly) with Connery getting LALD - FRWL, with the cliffhanger ending being Connery's exit at which point Lazenby takes over. Almost like a Doctor Who regeneration, only... not. Because regeneration in the Bond films would be ridiculous. It's just similar circumstances. Actually it'd be a lot like Troughton regenerating into Pertwee; you never actually see the change happen.

I think though, the point I'm trying to lead into is that Connery's not the perfect Bond that people make him out to be. I don't feel he was deserving of the second-longest tenure (at least in terms of # of films) because he really started slipping quite quickly from Goldfinger onwards. Thunderball would've been a much better finale for him than DAF or even YOLT.

Gimme break.

Yeah, Diamonds is a tough watch for me. Even some of Only Live Twice, but I can palate that better. Dalton in For Your Eyes only. THAT would have been cool. Or Spy who loved me. Moore...lol.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 11,189
    chrisisall wrote:

Mine registers so "HIGH" that

Delete
    Delete
    Delete
    chrisisall wrote:

Mine registers so "HIGH" that not one but two eyebrows have been raised.

Linked to this I too do sometimes find Rog a Moore engaging lead actor and overall screen presence than Dalton - whether he's in serious mode or not.

That said Dalton in the opening of TLD feels like a real leap forward after Moore did one film too many.

Sorry for the multiple posts mods. Damn iPhone.

Gimme break.

I actually agree with this too. He would have ended his tenure on a high note after TB.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ludovico wrote:

Gimme break.

I actually agree with this too. He would have ended his tenure on a high note after TB.

And we all know how much he wanted out anyway.
    Quality is better than quantity. He would still have been hailed as the best Bond ever.

Not controversial just a matter of Bad taste in movies. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SaintMark wrote:

Yes, you really should correct that personal issue, @SaintMark. Maybe you should do a double bill of TLD and LTK for starters?
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 14,824
    Okay, here is my controversial opinion: I think that, while not bad, LTK is overrated by the fans and overall a masterful execution of a lacking premise.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 7,653
    SaintMark wrote:

Yes, you really should correct that personal issue, @SaintMark. Maybe you should do a double bill of TLD and LTK for starters?

I have both in a splendid UE dvd presentation and while I can sit through TLD allright it is LTK that makes me watch all RM movies in one sitting just to get the foul taste out of my mouth.

I just do not find any pleasure in watching the Dalton movies. for me the man has the charisma of a dead goldfish. Dalton works for me as a baddie in The Rocketeer, Doctor Who, etc. I do find him the one terrible miscasting among the 007 actors.
    SaintMark wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

I have both in a splendid UE dvd presentation and while I can sit through TLD allright it is TLD that makes me watch all RM movies in one sitting just to get the foul taste out of my mouth.

I just do not find any pleasure in watching the Dalton movies. for me the man has the charisma of a dead goldfish. Dalton works for me as a baddie in The Rocketeer, Doctor Who, etc. I do find him the one terrible miscasting among the 007 actors.

You mean LTK? :-/
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    SaintMark wrote:
    I just do not find any pleasure in watching the Dalton movies. for me the man has the charisma of a dead goldfish. I do find him the one terrible miscasting among the 007 actors.
    Rough night, eh mate?