Underrated Shows, Lost Gems

edited November 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,341
We have a thread on overrated series, I thought I'd open the discussion for some underrated shows. Shows that never got much love critically or from viewers but has some storng elements to recommend them.

Samatha Who?
Grounded for Life
Justified

I have been overly critical of sitcoms but here are a pair of little known comedies really caught my eye and won me over. I discovered Samatha Who? which starred Christine Applegate. on netflix and watched the two seasons. The premise is very good and original. It probably would have made a very successful 90 minute romantic comedy and the fact it ran for two seasons is kinda surprising. I would recommend it highly.

Grounded for life ran on Fridays about ten years ago. It was a funny show about an Irish American family living in New York. Two brothers, (one married with three kids and one single) ran an Irish pub.

If you haven't discovered Justified yet, then I recommend you tune in when it returns on FX in january.

I invite you to add your recommendations.

Comments

I'd for for The Wire, which was critically praised and has a fan base but never got the notoriety or the ratings as much lesser dramas. The Sandbaggers too, an old, hyper-realistic British spy drama. And to a lesser extend Babylon 5, which for all its flaws and low budget was quite good and ahead of its time in the use of story arc.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    What about Leverage? Was it popular enough? I don't know, from my overseas perspective. But I love that show! I read it was canceled now, after 4 seasons.
    What about Leverage? Was it popular enough? I don't know, from my overseas perspective. But I love that show! I read it was canceled now, after 4 seasons.

First time I've heard about it. From which side of the ocean are you?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Highlander: The series. I think it was better than the films; seasons 2 through 4 are the strongest.
    talos7 wrote:
    Highlander: The series. I think it was better than the films; seasons 2 through 4 are the strongest.

I never watched it because I didn't like the films much, especially not the second which I hated.
    OZ. Seems to have been forgotten when mentioning great HBO shows.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2013 Posts: 4,438

In The Netherlands we stil waiting on season 3 of Leverage and only the first season be released and re-released on dvd. That first release be released by Dutch releated studio who release the CSI tv series but broke and that series be taken over by another Dutch Studio. Leverage not having that luck taken over by them, but take over by another Dutch studio, A Film Entertainment (The Dutch Newline Cinema) only release more seasons if deliever enough. Earlier there not contuned with The Avengers (A Newline production) and The invissible Man 2000 (Together with Universal) second season never be released.

The second season of The invissible Man 2000 never be released because Warner be owner now who re-release the first season in parts. That studio that don't whant to release the original Nikita series (Also season 1 need re-release.), Batman Animated Volume 3 & 4 and Side Effects on BD (Possible something to do with Soderbergh disapointed Contagion numbers.) and Harry Potter 3-8 UE (whyle American release is regio Free with Dutch subtitels). I wish Nikita be released by Paramount , then we possible already got complete Boxset like there did with MacGyver.

This year the channel repeat the second season of Leverage, but the original view of the last episode be in 2010 at the same time Burn notice get a big break who earlier this year finaly complete the 3th season as replacement of CSI Miami. We are waiting now on Season 4 and only the first 3 seasons be released on dvd, but iam afraid it not wil be seen on the open channel agai because it 20th Century Fox series. Also Fox earlier not released the second season of Dark Angel, last year there re-release the first season. Fox also don't whant to release The Hitchcock movie on BD disc.

I Wish Dutch Filmworks or Universal take over Leverage. Leverage is modern version of The A-team and Universal release those. Dutch Filmworks be a small studio that take over CSI and re-release some tv series other don't whant to release. I wish that studio release The Saint Season 3 til Season 6. Only Season 1 and Season 2 be released/re-released and 12 episodes of season 5.

We also wait on Season 4 & Season 5 of Charlies Angels, this we must blame to Uk because there are not released yet with Dutch subtitels.

Promotion is big problem, some series secretly/limited release. For example a couple of weeks a go i discover re-release of that season 1 and 2 of The Saint, but now in 12 disc set for € 19,99. Of course a move from Lime-Lights Pictures (Who have confirmd there not have intrest in release more, because there are not happy with the numbers. No wonder of course being so limited.) of course to cell more. Previously that store not show any intrest in the first 3 box sets of 4 disc each who for the first year or so be exclusieve for online webshop til i found them at local store for € 16,99 each.
    I will give one very lost gem: Sorted, a short-lived BBC series about postmen, from 2006. Written by Danny Brocklehurst, it was axed in spite of high ratings and very good reviews. Maybe because of those reviews.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Oh, I got me a laundry list of TV gems, but I'll just toss out a few here:
    Dark Angel
    Firefly
    The IT Crowd
    Eureka
    Planet Of The Apes

I have to go with the X-Files spin off show, "The Lone Gunmen". Lasted only one season, and I love it.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Misfits. 4th series was weak but this show overall has been fantastic. It's finishing now and it's still on E4 when it really should've been given a better slot on Channel 4 after it's first series.

Also, Banshee, on Sky Atlantic. It's a fast paced, cleverly written modern day western and it has tons of colourful characters and great fight scenes. I can't wait for the second series of it.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I don't think Fringe gets enough love. It's an amazing series that grabs you from the first moment, has great acting by all involved and has a strangely compelling story.
    Sandy wrote:
    I don't think Fringe gets enough love. It's an amazing series that grabs you from the first moment, has great acting by all involved and has a strangely compelling story.

Fringe was brilliant, great sci-fi show with buckets of humor, funnier than most sitcoms thanks to the amazing John Noble.

Love Burn Notice, no one else seems to watch it over here.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Ludovico wrote:

First time I've heard about it. From which side of the ocean are you?

I am an American, now in Japan. It's a US show, lighthearted con men do good against bad guys (Robin Hood redux in a way). Timothy Hutton stars. I like the actors and the characters are fun; it does not take itself seriously but is not an all out comedy. Heists, cons, and helping people who are being jerked around by big corporate execs or other baddies.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Futurama. Totally overshadowed by The Simpsons, but I thought it was equally good.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 1,639

Rederiet was consistently good unlike Dallas where the last few seasons were a chore to sit thru (Rederiet borrowed some elements , for example Beatrice was essentially like ms Ellie and then you had the con man Joe Gardner , similar to Wes Parmalee on Dallas.....both claimed to be related to the family)

Usually when I hear underrated I think of shows like Green Hornet and others who got lost in the shuffle but were still decent.
    I want to throw another one out there:
    ORPHAN BLACK
    This Canadian show is shown on the BBC America Network. The first season ended back inthe spring but they have been re running it. I am hooked. I hear that season 2 will be out in the spring of 2014. The star Tatiana Maslany should have won an Emmy for her performance(s) and it is a crime she was not nominated.
    If you missed the show on BBC then the first season is out on DVD and I highly recommend it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Nip/Tuck'

I never hear anyone speak of this show, and though it started to get slightly ridiculous around the fourth season on, it's still one amazing show with great chemistry that I highly recommend.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:
    Dark Angel
    Eureka

Good selections. Though with Eureka, at least we got 5 series. The other option the showrunners were given, was to continue on, but with a reduced budget. So at least the show ended with with dignity. Just imagine series 6 with a 'Syfy original Movie' level budget.

Along with the two above, i'd like to add another favourite of mine; Dead Like Me.
    What about Deadwood? Really good show but somewhat forgotten about now, at least when compared to stuff like The Wire and Breaking Bad.
    Deadwood is next on my list. Now I'm discovering Game of Thrones, which is very entertaining.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote:
    What about Deadwood? Really good show but somewhat forgotten about now, at least when compared to stuff like The Wire and Breaking Bad.

One of the greatest shows I've ever seen, with one of the best television scripts out there. Fantastic work.
  • Pushing Daisies
    Coupling
    Community
    DArtagnan wrote:
    Pushing Daisies
    Coupling
    Community

YES.

I'd also like to nominate Profit, perhaps THE most underrated series ever.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Pushing Daisies was great, I agree.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Human Target, Covert Affairs, Burn Notice and Castle are some I'd nominate. I loved Human Target and watched religiously until it got cancelled, while I followed Covert Affairs and Burn Notice for quite a while before tuning out almost entirely. With Covert it was simply because I got behind on episodes after season three began and never caught up, whereas I grew tired of where Burn Notice was going and just lost interest after a while. As for Castle, I love it quite a lot, as Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic are fantastic on their own but even better when put together. The show has great characters you care for, interesting cases and mixes the morbid with the comedic very well. From my stand point it is cool to see a fellow writer like Castle and how he thinks and writes his books, which is a great part of his character.
    Human Target, Covert Affairs, Burn Notice and Castle are some I'd nominate. I loved Human Target and watched religiously until it got cancelled, while I followed Covert Affairs and Burn Notice for quite a while before tuning out almost entirely. With Covert it was simply because I got behind on episodes after season three began and never caught up, whereas I grew tired of where Burn Notice was going and just lost interest after a while. As for Castle, I love it quite a lot, as Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic are fantastic on their own but even better when put together. The show has great characters you care for, interesting cases and mixes the morbid with the comedic very well. From my stand point it is cool to see a fellow writer like Castle and how he thinks and writes his books, which is a great part of his character.

I must admit I am partial to a bit of Castle, I have season 5 waiting to be watched, I am very interested to see if the quality of the show is still up there following the events of the season 4 finale.

I do experience exactly the same with the mentioned shows. Loved Human Target even if the 2nd season was less with a growing cast. Covert Affairs I started falling behind and have yet to catch up. Burn Notice lost my interest gradually, and Castle is one of my must see shows. The mix between fun and seriousness is grand, and Fillion is the star of the show even if it is due to the large ensemble cast.

I notice a lot of people seem to have given up on Burn Notice, it's a shame as having stuck with it, I've found it to be one of my favrouite shows, I just need to get round to watching the final series now.