Films you would recommend or not ?

edited November 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,341
We have our personal lists of films (and television programs) that we do not know whether to love them or hate them or that we would be ashamed to admit that we actually sat through. This discussion is open for you to praise or dump on controversial and little known films.
Apocalypse Now I don't know if you would call this a masterpiece or a monstronsity. when I saw it in the theater back in 1979, I had just gotten out of the army and I found the movie hallarious in many parts. I was laughing so hard my side ache. I spoke to other folks who were shocked at the film and what they had seen as Francis Ford Coppola tried to convey the horrors of war. Was he actually trying to be funny and was that the big joke on the audience?

Southern Comfort This crazy affair about a group of Louisiana Guardsmen on manuevers in the bayou who ends up incurring the wrath of some Cajun hicks and turn the field training exercise into a nightmare is interesting. Not as shocking as 1972's Deliverance and the characters are funny most of the time. It is meant to be serious and horrific but I found it rip roaring fun. Stars Powers Booth and Keith Carradine.

Scarface Brian DePalma directed this eighties classic starring Al Pacino in an over the top performance. This overly violent affair left us with such memorable lines as "Say hello to my little friend". Another one intended to shock the audience but only succeeds in making us bust a gut from laughter.

Hotel New Hampshire This quirky film was released in the sping of 1984.Based on the novel by the same title by John Irving It starred Jodie Foster, Beau Bridges, and an unknown Rob Lowe. It is shocking to say the least as it covers a wide range of controversial (and disburbing subjects) rape, incest, bestiality, terrorism, and lots of violent fatalities.

All I can come up with now but would be interested to hear your candidates or your opinions on the films I have listed.

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I wouldn't say that Apocalypse Now is little known. That film is in my top favorite film rankings; one I am not shy to call a masterpiece. It's deep, it's haunting, it's thematic; everything I could ever want in a film. Joseph Conrad would be proud at just how cleverly his source was adapted. I leaves me speechless for so many reasons, including Coppola's genius, stellar acting by the cast, a brilliant screenplay, amazing cinematography, beautiful locations and its ability to completely challenge any perceptions you have about morality and war. Every time I see it I love it more, and it's one of the rare occasions where the making of the film is just as amazing as the final product itself. I still don't know how Coppola got through it, but its work like this from him that makes me wonder why the hell people always swoon over The Godfather. I'd take the likes of this film and The Conversation over The Godfather any day, because they are for my money better representations of filmmaking genius, and infinitely more interesting. Maybe's The Godfather is an acquired taste, but I have never see the hype for that film. Maybe I'll have to revisit the series soon and give it another go.
  • DeJunkanoooDeJunkanooo Banned
    I don't know what kind of person laughs at a movie like Apocalypse Now.. this movie shows the pain and madness of war. It is not a laughing matter. What do you say to someone like that?
  • I've never seen apocalypse now so can't really comment. Just not a title I'd be interested in. Southern Comfort is maybe not as good as Deliverance but it remains a powerful story. The music at the cajun camp near the end is memorable and there's a constant feel of foreboding throughout

Scarface is a fine movie, but from a last watch, drags on a little too long, and Pfieffer and others seem wasted, as Pacino's Tony Montana takes center stage. I haven't seen the other release

I don't know what kind of person laughs at a movie like Apocalypse Now.. this movie shows the pain and madness of war. It is not a laughing matter. What do you say to someone like that?

LMAO
    I don't know what type of person can watch Apocalypse Now and not laugh at some of the parts. I mean come on.
    "You stepped on my face"
    " Thought you were dead"
    "You thought wrong, dammit"
    "Soldier who's in command here?"
    "Aren't you?"
    Guys surfing during an assault...
    I had just gotten out of the army when this movie came out. And some of those scenes and the way soldiers and military personel talk to each other. Just brought it all back. I laughed my ass off. Actually, at the time most of my friends who had been ex military laughed at it too.

What does one say to someone like you? You probably took Bride of Frankenstein serious and North by Northwest as well.
    I had more fun at this film than I had at DAF.
  • TrishTrish Banned
    I would not recommend Wild Hogs (2007) starring Tim Allen and John Travolta to name just a few in this all star cast. I'm a bit of a bikie and so is my husband but this movie fell flat for us when we rented it on Blu-ray a couple of weekend's ago.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Trish wrote:
    I would not recommend Wild Hogs (2007) starring Tim Allen and John Travolta to name just a few in this all star cast. I'm a bit of a bikie and so is my husband but this movie fell flat for us when we rented it on Blu-ray a couple of weekend's ago.

I haven't seen it in years, but I remember it being terrible.
    I recommend The Room BECAUSE it has no cinematic merit whatsoever. Most fun I've ever had watching a movie, ever. Even more so than when I first saw TSWLM.
  • I recommend The Room BECAUSE it has no cinematic merit whatsoever. Most fun I've ever had watching a movie, ever. Even more so than when I first saw TSWLM.

Uhaha, what a story, @stirrednotshaken.

I second this recommendation wholeheartedly.
    I recommend The Room BECAUSE it has no cinematic merit whatsoever. Most fun I've ever had watching a movie, ever. Even more so than when I first saw TSWLM.

Wiseau is trying SO HARD, it's painfully hilarious.
  • I would recommend Schwarzenegger's Commando, as it's the best 'so bad it's good' movie in the history of filmmaking

"I eat green berets for breakfast and right now, I'm very hungry" etc
  • I recommend The Room BECAUSE it has no cinematic merit whatsoever. Most fun I've ever had watching a movie, ever. Even more so than when I first saw TSWLM.

Wiseau is trying SO HARD, it's painfully hilarious.

I'm going to get the book that Mark wrote at some point. Maybe Christmas.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I would recommend Schwarzenegger's Commando, as it's the best 'so bad it's good' movie in the history of filmmaking

I love that film, especially that explosive, explosive finale.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I would recommend Schwarzenegger's Commando, as it's the best 'so bad it's good' movie in the history of filmmaking

'Let off some steam Bennett.'

'Remember I promise to kill you last? I lied.'

Genius.
  • DeJunkanoooDeJunkanooo Banned
    Id like to recommend The Wolverine. Hugh Jackman devours the role greedily and this is the BEST marvel film yet. The action kicks butt and it has an asian/japanese flavor. Any fan of YOLT will get a kick.
    Trish wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Thuis movie had a stellar cast but it was DOA

I enjoyed Commando. Haven't seen it in years. I remeber Raye Dawn Choung looking hot. I remember seeing Alisa Milano as a pre teen in that movie....How she has grown up. Damn, makes me feel old as a mutha.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited November 2013 Posts: 7,989
    Dogfight, with River Phoenix
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    The Godfather

Many may say it's overrated but i say it's the best film in the history of the cinema. For once, everything just works. Every frame of picture is brilliant and every actor is just splendid. I do always get swept away by the story and by everything that happens in it.
    Everyone who hasn't seen it should make no excuse but rent it/buy it/download it and just sit back and enjoy for almost three hours! It is worth it!
    MrBond wrote:
    The Godfather

Many may say it's overrated but i say it's the best film in the history of the cinema. For once, everything just works. Every frame of picture is brilliant and every actor is just splendid. I do always get swept away by the story and by everything that happens in it.
    Everyone who hasn't seen it should make no excuse but rent it/buy it/download it and just sit back and enjoy for almost three hours! It is worth it!

Agreed. Maybe the greatest movie in history, probably the most perfectly cast.
    MrBond wrote:
    The Godfather

I can understand your opinion but I am always in awe of a few other movie that I consider better than an American fable about their crime families.

Le grand bleu(1988) is a beautifull and haunting movie

37°2 le matin(1986) is another movie that still haunts me to this day through its portrayal of love and a beloved one slowly going insane.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being(1988) another brilliant movie about loss and love in whatever sequence you prefer. Read the book, saw the movie. read the book again and noticed how well the movie was based upon the novel.

Trois couleurs: Bleu(1993) what a sad beautifull movie (actually all three are worth your time)

La double vie de Véronique(1991) a story of two similar women with different lives.

Once upon a time in the West/America (1968/1984) A view on the new world from the old world and visually almost never bettered with awesome soundtracks.

Volver (2006) life after the death of a beloved one, Penelope Cruz never has been as good in English language movies as in Almodovars movies.

Lucía y el sexo(2001) Life happens

Hable con ella(2002) haunting and beautifull

Le pacte des loups(2001) My favorite actioner, costume drama, scifi-esque movie, a big step up from the Crying Freeman.

Some Great movies from the old world that deserve attention as the discussion usually turn to the great movies from the US.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I find The Godfather to be the lesser of Coppola's 70s films next to the likes of The Conversation and Apocalypse Now. I find those films infinitely more deep and interesting and I have just never been interested in mob films.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Apocalypse Now may very well be the most epic movie that i've ever seen. It's deep themes and profound darkness is just chilling. Brandos performance in that film is so thoughtfully written and so poetic. I think that his physical performance in the film just adds to the depth.
    People who just slags of this film just as "another action film in Vietnam" don't know what they're missing out on!

But i can't say it's better than The Godfather I and II.
    edited November 2013 Posts: 28,694
    MrBond wrote:
    Apocalypse Now may very well be the most epic movie that i've ever seen. It's deep themes and profound darkness is just chilling. Brandos performance in that film is so thoughtfully written and so poetic. I think that his physical performance in the film just adds to the depth.
    People who just slags of this film just as "another action film in Vietnam" don't know what they're missing out on!

Yeah, it's one of the few films I could honestly classify as a masterpiece, and the making of the film is just as mesmerizing as the final product. You should read Heart of Darkness if you haven't, because without Conrad's work films like this wouldn't exist.

Whoever called the movie an "action film" obviously haven't seen a lick of it.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    @0Brady yes i should pick it up although my reading list is just piling up. I'm aching to start with Conan Doyle's stories first. I've have a collection of his books just laying around. But you know how it is, there's much school-work and of course a lot's of films that i have to watch. There's just to little time for everything you want to do, right?
    MrBond wrote:
    @0Brady yes i should pick it up although my reading list is just piling up. I'm aching to start with Conan Doyle's stories first. I've have a collection of his books just laying around. But you know how it is, there's much school-work and of course a lot's of films that i have to watch. There's just to little time for everything you want to do, right?

Story of my life.
    I find The Godfather to be the lesser of Coppola's 70s films next to the likes of The Conversation and Apocalypse Now. I find those films infinitely more deep and interesting and I have just never been interested in mob films.

Remember what Coppola said: Godfather isn't about mob (or just about it). It's a story about a King and his three sons.

I absolutely admire Apocalypse Now. In my opinion is the best war film ever (not war historically but philosophically.) But I've been always interested in the mob, organized crime and mafia in my reading time and with the movies. So I'm more attracted to the genre, in that way I understand you. Even so, I think Godfather Part II is closer to Apocalyps than I (or even III). And Part II is less a "mob" movie as it is about politics, social structures (the "layer cake") and, specially, power.
    0013 wrote:

Remember what Coppola said: Godfather isn't about mob (or just about it). It's a story about a King and his three sons.

I'm more than aware of the film's themes. Apocalypse Now is a war film that is about more than war, so I don't see what argument you were trying to make for The Godfather with that statement. I mean, if any film is worthy of praise it should be able to elevate itself from the genre it is in and become something much greater.
    0013 wrote:

I'm more than aware of the film's themes. Apocalypse Now is a war film that is about more than war, so I don't see what argument you were trying to make for The Godfather with that statement. I mean, if any film is worthy of praise it should be able to elevate itself from the genre it is in and become something much greater.

The thing is that sometimes films are misunderstood, that's all. Not by you, as it is clear you just prefer Apocalypse.
    Because I grew up with Godfather, sometimes I falsely assume that everybody else adore it as I do.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I adore both Apocalypse Now and The Godfather films.
    If you want to see the perhaps worst film of all time, check out BATTLEFIELD EARTH.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The Godfather is arguably the greatest gangster movie ever made despite Warner Bros rich history of gangster movies, and the fact Godfather Part II and Goodfellas were yet to come.

And, more pertinently Al Pacino gave a great and understated performance. Al Pacino 'understated'? Who would've thought it.
    NicNac wrote:
    The Godfather is arguably the greatest gangster movie ever made despite Warner Bros rich history of gangster movies, and the fact Godfather Part II and Goodfellas were yet to come.

And, more pertinently Al Pacino gave a great and understated performance. Al Pacino 'understated'? Who would've thought it.

'Understated' went by the wayside once he did Scent of a Woman.