Greatest songs of all time

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Dragonpol, it's not my favorite song, but I agree: such a fantastic choice. Jackson has too many incredible songs for me to pick a favorite.

Yes, for me it's the best. I know to others this must seem a strange choice, but I find it quite logical. Jackson's voice really matured with age and there are actually many bstand-out songs on his last studio album Invincible (2001) which apparently flopped, though I would disapute that as it had sales in the region of 11 million, hardly a flop.
    Updated list:

Johnny Cash: Big River, Any Old Wind that Blows, Folsom Prison Blues, Flesh and Blood, Hurt
    Johnny & June: Jackson, If I Were a Carpenter, Oh, What a Good Thing We Had, The Pine Tree
    The Highwaymen: Highwayman, American Remains, It is what it is
    Jimi Hendrix: All Along the Watchtower
    The Kinks: Living on a Thin Line, Waterloo Sunset
    Fleetwood Mac: Gold Dust Woman, Sisters of the Moon, Dreams, Little Lies, Rhiannon
    Cream: White Room, i Feel Free
    Frank Sinatra: It was a very good year
    The Beatles: Eleanor Rigby, A Day in the Life, For No One
    Louis Armstrong: We Have All the Time in the World
    The Rolling Stones: Gimme Shelter
    Ben E. King: I (Who Have Nothing), This Magic Moment
    Bob Dylan: Like a Rolling Stone, It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
    Duran Duran: A View to a Kill
    The Animals: House of the Rising Sun
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Dragonpol, it's not my favorite song, but I agree: such a fantastic choice. Jackson has too many incredible songs for me to pick a favorite.

Yes, for me it's the best. I know to others this must seem a strange choice, but I find it quite logical. Jackson's voice really matured with age and there are actually many bstand-out songs on his last studio album Invincible (2001) which apparently flopped, though I would disapute that as it had sales in the region of 11 million, hardly a flop.

Did you listen to his 'This Is It' album at all?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Did you listen to his 'This Is It' album at all?

No, that's actually one of the few that I don't own but I shall have to get it soon via Amazon. I also need to get Michael, though I think I have heard most of the songs on it as I bought it for a friend. I'm perhaps unusual in that I rate all of Jackson's music, not just his earlier stuff. He was actually a very intellectual person as you can tell from his songs and he did a lot of reading. There's masses of stuff that he never released too (including whole albums like The World Is No Church, 1999) and I hope that the world can one day get to hear them.

@Dragonpol, I'm surprised they never released those albums after his unfortunate passing. It seemed the whole world was trying to cash in on him as soon as he passed away. Still, I would love to hear some unreleased songs of his.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Dragonpol, I'm surprised they never released those albums after his unfortunate passing. It seemed the whole world was trying to cash in on him as soon as he passed away. Still, I would love to hear some unreleased songs of his.

Yes, I remember the red top British tabloids sayinfg there were three or four Thriller albums due to be released, but nothing ever came of it!
    @Dragonpol, and with that came the controversy of whether it was actually Michael's voice on the 'This Is It' album or not, saying they had some young guy do it who had a voice exactly like Michael's. I don't believe the rumors, and still continue to enjoy the album. It isn't his best, but it's still worth listening to.
    edited October 2013 Posts: 17,816
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Dragonpol, and with that came the controversy of whether it was actually Michael's voice on the 'This Is It' album or not, saying they had some young guy do it who had a voice exactly like Michael's. I don't believe the rumors, and still continue to enjoy the album. It isn't his best, but it's still worth listening to.

Yes, and the same thing was said about the Michael album. In fact I think that some of it was taken from telephone calls as MJ says at one point "This is the tune and this is the melody." They definitely added the music later on most of those vocal tracks, if not them all.

And thanks @JBFan626 for the reminder of Wichita Lineman - sung perfectly and a haunting melody; I love it still

That was @minorMajor9th who recommended that one, but I can hardly argue with it. Glen Campbell is one of the greats of country music.
    @Dragonpol, yeah, I remember hearing that in one of those songs.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Dragonpol, yeah, I remember hearing that in one of those songs.

I might have the quote wrong but that was surely the most obvious use of an audio recording on that album. It's nice to converse with another MJ fan on these boards.
    @Dragonpol, I'm pretty sure that's the exact quote, I remember it from one of the songs on the album. I want to say it's #4 or #5, perhaps. And same, haven't seen too many MJ fans around the forums.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Dragonpol, I'm pretty sure that's the exact quote, I remember it from one of the songs on the album. I want to say it's #4 or #5, perhaps. And same, haven't seen too many MJ fans around the forums.

I do remember a lot about his music. There are some very interesting You Tube interviews with Michael Jackson. Did you know he was a James Bond fan too? I started a thread here on that but it was closed down when it was hijacked. you can have a look at it if you want. I intend to write an article about this on one of my Bond blogs in time as it is the sort of esoteric topic that I enjoy illuminating.

I had absolutely no idea he was a Bond fan. That's awesome! Learn something new every day, I'll have to check out your thread about it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I had absolutely no idea he was a Bond fan. That's awesome! Learn something new every day, I'll have to check out your thread about it.

Yes, that surprised me too, but the evidence is there to be seen, if you look it out.
    @Dragonpol, that just makes him even better in my eyes, something I didn't find possible. He really is one of the greatest artists of all time.
    Okay just a few of my favorites.
    I could list so many by The Beatles ... I'll try to restrain myself

Dusty Springfield - The Son of a Preacher Man/The Look of Love
    The Beach Boys - God Only Knows/In My Room
    Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman
    CCR - Sweet Hitchhiker
    Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love
    Janis Joplin - Get It While You Can
    Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower/Purple Haze/Hey Joe
    Led Zep - Black Dog/Rock and Roll/Thank You
    Rick Derringer - Rock and Roll, Hootchie Koo
    Derek & the Dominoes - Layla (and Eric's later slower version, too)
    T Rex - Bang a Gong
    The Clash - London Calling
    Humble Pie - I Don't Need No Doctor
    The Stones - Gimme Shelter/Jumpin Jack Flash/Satisfaction
    JJ Cale - Crazy Mama
    Neil Young - The Needle and the Damage Done
    Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion
    Cyndi Lauper - I Drove All Night
    The Police - Every Breath You Take
    U2 - One/Elevation/Desire
    Pearl Jam - Staying Alive
    Sinead O'Connor (the only thing I like by her, but it is so lovely): Nothing Compares To You
    Paul McCartney - Maybe I'm Amazed
    John Lennon - Instant Karma/Imagine
    George Harrison - Something/Here Comes The Sun (yes, with The Beatles)
    The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night/With a Little Help From My Friends/A Day in the Life/the entire 2nd side of Abbey Road, Golden Slumbers through The End (but it is so easy to say the entire album, no lie)
    Lynyrd Skynard - Simple Man/Sweet Home Alabama/Free Bird

Geez, I need to stop now. I'll add more later.
    The soundtrack of my life; fun to think about. :)

And thanks @JBFan626 for the reminder of Wichita Lineman - sung perfectly and a haunting melody; I love it still

Great list, I'm glad you posted some of these, as I've tried to find some of them recently but couldn't remember their names.

I think if I were to objectively state the greatest song of all time itd be Hotel California. It's not my personal #1, not even top ten or twenty for me, but there's no denying that song is perfection.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Dragonpol, that just makes him even better in my eyes, something I didn't find possible. He really is one of the greatest artists of all time.

Agreed and he lives up to the hype, something that you can't say of very many other music artists.
  • If no particular catagory then I'll include all with vocals (pop, rock & roll, country, gospel, italian, standards, etc.):

1. Suspicious Minds - Elvis Presley
    2. Sugar, Sugar - The Archies
    3. Over The Rainbow - Judy Garland
    4. How Great Thou Art - (w. Carl Boberg, Stuart Hine)
    5. Rythem Of The Rain - The Cascades
    6. Crimson & Clover - Tommy James & The Shondells
    7. It's Now Or Never - Elvis Presley
    8. El Paso - Marty Robins
    9. He Touched Me - (w. Bill Gaither)
    10. 25 Or 6 To 4 - Chicago
    11. On Broadway - The Drifters
    12. Amazing Grace - (w. John Newton)
    13. La Vie En Rose - Melissa Manchester
    14. You Can Have Her - Roy Hamilton
    15. In The Garden - (w. Charles A. Miles)
    16. The Wonder Of You - Elvis Presley
    17. Unchained Melody - The Righteous Brothers
    18. For The Good Times - Ray Price
    19. Surrender - Elvis Presley
    20. O Sole Mio - Mario Lanza/Pavaratti

They don't make them anymore as good as they used to...
    socaljon3 wrote:
    If no particular catagory then I'll include all with vocals (pop, rock & roll, country, gospel, italian, standards, etc.):

1. Suspicious Minds - Elvis Presley
    2. Sugar, Sugar - The Archies
    3. Over The Rainbow - Judy Garland
    4. How Great Thou Art - (w. Carl Boberg, Stuart Hine)
    5. Rythem Of The Rain - The Cascades
    6. Crimson & Clover - Tommy James & The Shondells
    7. It's Now Or Never - Elvis Presley
    8. El Paso - Marty Robins
    9. He Touched Me - (w. Bill Gaither)
    10. 25 Or 6 To 4 - Chicago
    11. On Broadway - The Drifters
    12. Amazing Grace - (w. John Newton)
    13. La Vie En Rose - Melissa Manchester
    14. You Can Have Her - Roy Hamilton
    15. In The Garden - (w. Charles A. Miles)
    16. The Wonder Of You - Elvis Presley
    17. Unchained Melody - The Righteous Brothers
    18. For The Good Times - Ray Price
    19. Surrender - Elvis Presley
    20. O Sole Mio - Mario Lanza/Pavaratti

They don't make them anymore as good as they used to...

Yes, some classic blasts from the past there to be sure.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Agreed and he lives up to the hype, something that you can't say of very many other music artists.

Absolutely. I never get tired of his music.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 2,400
    Here are a rough top 25 from me, in no order (and I have zero confidence in this list as I've heard hundreds of albums, thousands of songs, therefore this is off the top off my head):

Happiness is a Warm Gun (Beatles)
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Beatles)
    No Surprises (Radiohead)
    Dear Mama (Tupac)
    Creature Fear (Bon Iver)
    In the Water I am Beautiful (City and Colour)
    Hurt (Nine Inch Nails)
    How to Disappear Completely (Radiohead)
    Motion Picture Soundtrack (Radiohead)
    Pennyroyal Tea (Nirvana)
    Gouge Away (Pixies)
    Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin)
    A Change of Seasons (Dream Theater)
    Don't Look Back in Anger (Oasis)
    Stall Out (Mutemath)
    Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)
    I'm the Man who Loves You (Wilco)
    Hallelujah (Jeff Buckley; a Leonard Cohen cover)
    All Things Must Pass (George Harrison)
    Forever (The Beach Boys)
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts I - IV (Pink Floyd)
    So What (Miles Davis)
    Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On) (Talking Heads)
    Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (Elton John)
    Save a Prayer (Duran Duran)

Every decade from the 1950s to 2000s covered.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Me neither. There is always something refreshing and new to be found in his music.
  • And thanks @JBFan626 for the reminder of Wichita Lineman - sung perfectly and a haunting melody; I love it still

That was me. ;)
  • I'll have an update of this

# Metallica - Enter Sandman
    # Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box
    # Thunderclap Newman - Something In The Air
    # Blondie - Union City Blue
    # Blondie - Rapture
    # Iron Maiden - Two Minutes to Midnight
    # Green Day - Welcome to Paradise
    # Motorhead - The Ace of Spades
    # Bryan Adams - Run to You
    # Madonna - La Isla Bonita
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Me neither. There is always something refreshing and new to be found in his music.

That's exactly what I love about it, and each song seems to bring something different or unique to the table: dance hits, songs with excellent guitar solos, slower, more emotional songs, highly-praised classics, etc.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

That's exactly what I love about it, and each song seems to bring something different or unique to the table: dance hits, songs with excellent guitar solos, slower, more emotional songs, highly-praised classics, etc.

Indeed, and his vocal range is truly staggering - there's no other singer like him! MJ was a fully rounded musical artist.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2013 Posts: 12,459

That was me. ;)

Ah, so it was. Thanks!

And @StirredNotShaken, how I love While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Stunning work. Thanks for reminding me of that one; another truly great song written by George.

• edited October 2013 Posts: 63
    Jumping jacks at sunrise to Pierce Brosnan's rendition of ABBA's SOS help shake the death out of me.