Steve Cole's New Young Bond Novels Series - Reviews and Discussion

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
edited April 2016 in Literary 007 Posts: 17,729
More details at the link below:

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/steve-cole-pen-young-bond-rhcp.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

What do we think of this news?

Is Charlie Higson going to do an adult Bond continuation novel now instead?

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I want to read Higson's. Has he stated why he left the series?

And yes, from what I have heard of his writing, I'd like him to have a shot at writing the adult continuation novels.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I want to read Higson's. Has he stated why he left the series?

And yes, from what I have heard of his writing, I'd like him to have a shot at writing the adult continuation novels.

This is all I've read so far, but I imagine more will come out in the next few days.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Does anybody know why Higson quit writing them? I feel sure I heard something, but I don't remember.
    Does anybody know why Higson quit writing them? I feel sure I heard something, but I don't remember.

Well, he was working on his own horror series of books for children a la his Young Bond series and IFP was busy with their triumvirate of celebrity Bond continuation authors, so they mutually agreed to take a break from Young Bond for a while.
  • I've never read the Young Bond books, I'll be honest they don't appeal to me, but I keep hearing such good things I'm always tempted to check them out...
    LeighBurne wrote:
    I've never read the Young Bond books, I'll be honest they don't appeal to me, but I keep hearing such good things I'm always tempted to check them out...

I'm the same, I have them all, but I focus so much on the adult Bond novels of Fleming and his continuation heirs that I often overlook these books. I was never a big fan of the idea initially, though I have warmed to it somewhat over time.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    edited October 2013 Posts: 987
    I can't say I'm enthralled by this, Charlie Higson made an excellent job out of what was really a fairly poor idea, without his skill, knowledge and passion will the 'Young Bond' series continue to be a successful and valued addition to the Bond cannon? I don't know Steve Cole's work so it's to early to judge but aside from his competency, I can't help but feel the 'young' part of Bond's life has now been amply covered by Higson's work. He did once suggest that he would be interested in doing a series of books covering Bond's service in World War 2, now Higson's 'War Bond' is something that would interest me!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I own all 5 (my copy of Double Or Die is still in it's foil packaging), but I have not read them. I might do so when I've finished the 'Adult Bond' books.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 17,729
    saunders wrote:
    I can't say I'm enthralled by this, Charlie Higson made an excellent job out of what was really a fairly poor idea, without his skill, knowledge and passion will the 'Young Bond' series continue to be a successful and valued addition to the Bond cannon? I don't know Steve Cole's work so it's to early to judge but aside from his competency, I can't help but feel the 'young' part of Bond's life has now been amply covered by Higson's work. He did once suggest that he would be interested in doing a series of books covering Bond's service in World War 2, now Higson's 'War Bond' is something that would interest me!

Yes, I kind of had much the same feeling myself - I thought that it was purely Charlie Higson's gig and you are right to say that he did make a success out of what at first appeared a rather poor idea in 'Young Bond'.

And yes, Higson's projected 'War Bond' novels would interest me very much too as we know very little from this period of Bond's career and much of the information given to us over the years appears to be conflicting. I think a Bond novel set during World War II would also be rather less contrived than the 'Young Bond' plots seemed to me. In reality, I'd imagine that Fleming's 'Young Bond' had a fairly ordinary schooling at Eton and Fettes up until that trouble with the maid.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I own and have read Higson's YB novels multiple times. They are a great read a and to say Higson's contribution to Bond lore is fantastic would be a massive understatement. Iirc, Higson mentioned he had already outlined a series of books which covered the events of Bond's tenure at Fettes after the events of what occurred in BRC.

I'm not familiar with this new guy's work and I wish him the best of luck in continuing the greatness Higson established but I am disappointed Higson isn't returning to finish what he started. Here's hoping IFP get wise and get Higson involved to write adult Bond because clearly the last 3 stunts those clowns have pulled....well let's just say many of us clearly are not amused.
  • Great news, just got into reading Young Bond and Bond Books in general back in March, so I will have plenty of time to read up on Bond before Young Bond 6,7,8, and 9!
    So this would mean I guess there will be NO other continuation writer for the time being of the adult persuasion.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Dragonpol wrote:

Well, he was working on his own horror series of books for children a la his Young Bond series and IFP was busy with their triumvirate of celebrity Bond continuation authors, so they mutually agreed to take a break from Young Bond for a while.

It was always the plan to write a series of five novels and that's what Higson did. You can check back on the interviews to see this. After that he moved onto his Enemy series which is set to end in 2015 after seven books. I wish IFP would've waited until then to continue, so Higson could be holding the pen once again, even if it is in 2016.

I wish Steve Cole all the best.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Dragonpol wrote:
    saunders wrote:

Yes, I kind of had much the same feeling myself - I thought that it was purely Charlie Higson's gig and you are right to say that he did make a success ouut of what at first appeared a rather poor idea in 'Young Bond'.

And yes, Higson's projected 'War Bond' novels wouldf interest me very much too as we know very little from this period of Bond's career and much of the information given to us over the years appears to be conflicting. I think a Bond novel set during World War II would also be rather less contrived than the 'Young Bond' plots seemed to me. In reality, I'd imagine that Fleming's 'Young Bond' had a fairly ordinary schooling at Eton and Fettes up until that trouble with the maid.

Don't worry chaps. I have every confidence that IFP know what they are doing.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I've only read the first of the Young Bond series. While I liked it I can't say it hooked me if I'm being honest. I've got a few of the others though, which have been on my reading list for a while.
  • saunders wrote:
    Absolutely!

This Fettes-set Young Bond series will contain four novels and cover Bond's later teenage years. Higson has said himself, a third and final series would be set during the war, so maybe another author will tackle that one day.

Here's the press release:

We are delighted to announce that a new series of four YOUNG BOND titles will be published by Random House from Autumn 2014, penned by Steve Cole.

Cole, who takes over from the original creator of Young Bond, Charlie Higson, is the author of a number of hugely successful children's books – including the Astrosaurs series and several authorised Doctor Who novels. He is a lifelong fan of Fleming’s Bond novels:

‘I first encountered Bond in print as a teenager, when I read From a View to a Kill. Fleming's writing was so vivid and authentic, Bond and the world he inhabited seemed suddenly real to me – and the danger and glamour led me through book after book. It's both a thrilling privilege and an exciting challenge now to be shaping a new era in the life of such an iconic character – with many firsts and surprises to come as James' life in the dangerous 1930s develops.’

Cole's first Young Bond novel will launch with a bang in Autumn 2014. It will be published in hardback on RHCP's highly respected Jonathan Cape children's imprint.

Whilst Higson's five novels chart Bond’s childhood at Eton and his introduction to the world of espionage, Cole’s first title will pick up where By Royal Command (2008) left off and will follow teenage James in the aftermath of his expulsion from Eton. This period in Bond's life has never been explored before and readers can expect all the thrills, action, glamour and tension that are the essential ingredients of a classic Bond adventure.

Philippa Dickinson, Managing Director of Random House Children's Publishing, says, ‘I'm absolutely delighted to be working with Ian Fleming Publications to publish a new quartet of Young Bond adventures. The period when James Bond would have been a teenager was an extraordinary time – a perfect setting for thrilling storytelling for young adults. Steve Cole is an exceptional storyteller with a wonderful ability to connect with his readers. A winning combination.’

Random House Children's Publishing have acquired UK and Commonwealth rights in four titles from Ian Fleming Publications Ltd, the first of which will be published in hardback in Autumn 2014. Corinne Turner, Managing Director of IFPL, comments, ‘Steve Cole is an imaginative and engaging author whose plots are addictive and gripping, so we were thrilled when he agreed to steer Young Bond through his mid-teen years. As publishers of Ian Fleming's original Bond books and William Boyd’s new Bond continuation novel, SOLO, Random House are the perfect partner to work with us in bringing the next generation of Young Bond books to life. On behalf of Ian Fleming Publications and the Fleming family, I'd like to welcome Steve Cole to the exciting world of 007 – we can't wait to see what scrapes James gets into next.’

http://www.ianfleming.com/new-young-bond-series-in-2014

StevePortrait13-resize-214x300.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Ppffftt, if it's not Higson or Fleming himself rising up from the grave to put pen to paper then all of this press talk is gas to me. I have no faith whatsoever until I am proven wrong. However, here's hoping for the best. It would have been nice to get some thoughts and appraisal of Higson's contribution but maybe that will come later.
    As this is continuing Higson's plan I would like to think he and Cole have talked. They've said best of luck and thanks to each other, via Twitter.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Oh my god what fresh kind of hell is this that was I first reaction on reading that we are going to have a new person at the helm of the young bond books coming on the heals of the great disappointment that is solo I fear that now we will end up with all the great work that Mr Higson has given us being spoiled by the continuation author why IFP can't wait and let Higson come back to this is beyond me.
    If they can wait six years why, oh why can't they wait eight? Answers on a postcard please.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 2,594
    Yeah, you'd think they could have waited another two years. Well, maybe three years as Higson probably wouldn't have been able to actually start writing the first one until 2015. That is a while actually. Wasn't the last Bond novel in 2009? Anyway, I'm excited to hear the news but just like I said after having read Carte Blanche, I won't be getting my hopes up with the announcement of any new Bond author until I've read the book. Still, this new chap may do a wonderful job so any slagging off at this stage is completely inappropriate.

I was thinking the other day that even with the adult Bond books, they should hire a children's author to write them - someone who has the partial mind of a child like Fleming and Higson. This way they can give us the traditional, boyish adventure, fairy tale type plots that Fleming and Higson gave us yet at the same time, obviously because they're adults, they can draw into the dark, gritty side of an adult Bond coupled with the detailed, almost believable explanations of how a villain like Dr No managed to do the unbelievable.

Cox thinks that there was a reference in SOLO to Young Bond:

http://www.thebookbond.com/2013/10/does-solo-contain-clues-to-young-bond.html

This may very well be the case.

If these books aren't the best, then bring back Higson for tales about Bond's war years which are the ones I'm really hanging out to read. If Cole does a splendid job (here's hoping), then I'll be happy if he writes about Bond in the war. No talking dinosaurs though please! ;)
    SaintMark wrote:
    So this would mean I guess there will be NO other continuation writer for the time being of the adult persuasion.

Don't know. Not necessarily.

• timdalton007timdalton007 North Alabama
    I know of his writing through his Doctor Who books and audios for Big Finish Productions. While I grant that Bond (and most certainly Young Bond) is different from Doctor Who, I've always liked his writing from what I've seen of it so I'm curious to see what he'll make of Young Bond.

timdalton007
    Surprised Higson has walked away from this as he is the ORIGINAL writer for the series. Perhaps he may return to it one day? He must want to do new things now which i can respect him for wanting to do.

Be interesting to see what Cole does with the young Bond? And if he takes it in another direction to what Higson has done?
  • After the "Celebrity Trilogy Disaster" I'm firmly of the opinion that IFP will do anything for a dollar and these latest moves are desperate attempts to squeeze the last milk out of the cow.
    Only the lobotomised would dream of tampering with Higson's fabulous legacy when the most obvious thing in the world is to get Charlie himself to take let young James loose his virginity, join the Royal Navy and go to war - now that's something we'd all like to read - you don't have to get McKinsey in to consult on that!
    My God, what are this gang up to now?
    Boyd has just slit the wrists of one of the last century's greatest literary creations and instead of getting Charlie Higson to resurrect 007, they have gone out and recruited somebody else who is completely untested to sabotage 'Young Bond'.
    What next? Maybe they'll get Katie Price to write more 'Moneypenny Diaries'?
    One things for sure, they won't get another halfpenny out of me!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Bentley wrote:
    Maybe they'll get Katie Price to write more 'Moneypenny Diaries'?

Brilliant.

And hardly inconceivable under the clueless stewardship of IFP or, as I now refer to them, the literary Tamahori.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Bentley wrote:

Brilliant.

And hardly inconceivable under the clueless stewardship of IFP or, as I now refer to them, the literary Tamahori.

Come come my dear Wizard even IFP have not Fu!!!d it up that badly........yet!.
    Bentley wrote:

Brilliant.

You've just coined another brilliant phrase there, Ice: IFP as "the literary Tamahori". One dreads the thought, but sadly it would appear to be true.