Raoul Silva

1235»

Comments

There are some similarties. That said, their personalities and physiognomies couldn't be more different.
    There are some similarties. That said, their personalities and physiognomies couldn't be more different.

He also owes a lot to Hugo Drax too, I think, although much more effeminate. His revenge motivation is akin to both.
  • Forgive me if this has already been thought of, but Is it possible that Silva could be slowly dying from his poisoning? Why wait 15 years to come back and claim revenge? I love how interpretive it is, as well as him as a character. I love the idea that he is on a suicide mission, if you will. Bardem even refers to the character as an 'Angel of Death' in an interview.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Named after Cubby s Rolls Royce Silver Cloud, perhaps?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,934
    Is 'Raoul' cannon? I thought he was just Silva.
    I suppose it's a bit like "Red" Grant, who's only ever referred to as "Donald Grant" onscreen.

It's strange that we refer to him as "Silva" at all. I think I'm right in thinking that his name is only mentioned twice in the whole film, once as "Mr Silva" and once as "Tiago Rodriguez". I wonder why we don't call him by his real name?
    'Raoul' shows up on 007.com, if that's any help.
    http://www.007.com/bond-villains/#!carouselLightbox[pp_gal]/2/
    QBranch wrote:
    Is 'Raoul' cannon? I thought he was just Silva.
    I suppose it's a bit like "Red" Grant, who's only ever referred to as "Donald Grant" onscreen.

It's strange that we refer to him as "Silva" at all. I think I'm right in thinking that his name is only mentioned twice in the whole film, once as "Mr Silva" and once as "Tiago Rodriguez". I wonder why we don't call him by his real name?
    'Raoul' shows up on 007.com, if that's any help.
    http://www.007.com/bond-villains/#!carouselLightbox[pp_gal]/2/

Ok, so Raoul is canon.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I didn't really know where to put this information, but since I have been debating with some others on here about Silva and his role in Skyfall, I was curious as to what his real name, Tiago meant, if anything. Here's some possible Skyfall connections behind the name that I was able to find when I searched "Tiago" and clicked on a link that took me to Urban dictionary:

*"Tiago" is a first name, but also the Portuguese phrase for "James"- Because Silva is in many ways an image of Bond if he were to go bad, and that they shared the same sort of trust with M, this is a very interesting piece of information that could be relevant to the film's hidden meanings.

*"Tiago" is a Portuguese word which means "one who creeps at night." It is currently used most often to describe someone who extensively creeps at any hour- This could obviously reflect Silva's overall creepy and off-putting nature.

*Tiago is a great portuguese king- Perhaps reflecting Silva's penchant for arrogance and ostentatious displays of superiority and power?

To all my fellow Skyfall lovers, please let me know your thoughts on all this. Was "Tiago" chosen to be Silva's true name purposely by Mendes, Logan, Bardem and co. to symbolize the villain's traits and nature, or is all this just a bunch of interesting coincidences?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 where did you find that information? Tiago is indeed the Portuguese version of James, as is Diogo and Jaime (3 versions, yes). However I never, ever heard it associated with "one who creeps at night" and there was no Portuguese king, ever, named Tiago.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Sandy wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 where did you find that information? Tiago is indeed the Portuguese version of James, as is Diogo and Jaime (3 versions, yes). However I never, ever heard it associated with "one who creeps at night" and there was no Portuguese king, ever, named Tiago.

Urban dictionary, I mentioned. I'm not calling it conclusive information, but I just did a quick search and wanted to share some of the possible connections that sprung up.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Sandy wrote:

Urban dictionary, I mentioned. I'm not calling it conclusive information, but I just did a quick search and wanted to share some of the possible connections that sprung up.

Sorry, I didn't notice the source. I just looked at the entry and I think whoever wrote it was under the influence of some dubious substances :P I would be interesting if it was true, but it isn't, sorry old friend :-??
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I find it fairly obvious that "Tiago Rodriguez" was choosen to reflect the similarities to "James Bond" as Silva is very much like how Bond could have been if he took M's judgement call in the wrong way.

But this theory shouldn't be spoken out loud just in case some nutcase come's along and say that with same logic "James Bond" is just a code-name...
    MrBond wrote:
    I find it fairly obvious that "Tiago Rodriguez" was choosen to reflect the similarities to "James Bond" as Silva is very much like how Bond could have been if he took M's judgement call in the wrong way.

But this theory shouldn't be spoken out loud just in case some nutcase come's along and say that with same logic "James Bond" is just a code-name...

Well, in the case of the codename theory, there is no logic being applied.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    MrBond wrote:

Well, in the case of the codename theory, there is no logic being applied.

Skyfall if ANY movie proved that.