The most consensual Bond movie

edited September 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 14,816
Which Bond movie is, according to you, the most consensual? By this I mean universally loved, admired or hated. Of course every movie will have its detractors, or at least some people will like it less than others and find it more flawed, like even the most hated Bond movie will have its die hard fans, nevertheless, some are more universally loved or hated than others.

Comments

• retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    Absolutely, Die Another Day fits this category. Most agree that the first third was pretty good and then it took a fast nose dive.
    I too have gotten the sense over the last decade or so that Die Another Day gets an overwhelmingly hard time.

Not that I disagree.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I've heard SO many differing opinions on Bond movies, I think the only semi-universally shared statement might be that FRWL was a good Bond. :-?
    retrokitty wrote:
    Absolutely, Die Another Day fits this category. Most agree that the first third was pretty good and then it took a fast nose dive.

I would disagree about the first third: it was as bad as the rest.
    chrisisall wrote:
    I've heard SO many differing opinions on Bond movies, I think the only semi-universally shared statement might be that FRWL was a good Bond. :-?

Not many people would think FRWL is not among the best, if not THE best. I think it is the best Bond movie, although not my favourite.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Not many people would think FRWL is not among the best, if not THE best. I think it is the best Bond movie, although not my favourite.

I might just agree with this. OHMSS is definitely my favourite and I think is one of the best. But after my viewing of FRWL on Thursday night, I'd have to say it's pretty much perfect.

retrokitty wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I might just agree with this. OHMSS is definitely my favourite and I think is one of the best. But after my viewing of FRWL on Thursday night, I'd have to say it's pretty much perfect.

I might start another thread about this: the difference between the best and the favourite.
  • Among casual audiences, Goldfinger without a doubt. Among the hardcore fans, probably From Russia With Love. On Her Majesty's Secret Service has made great progress, but years of being left at the bottom of the barrel means it really can't qualify.

This is slightly tangential, but I'm going to say that the final thirds of Diamonds are Forever, Moonraker, and Die Another Day are pretty roundly regarded as the three worst thirds in the franchise, although the movies as wholes have their defenders.
    Ludovico wrote:
    retrokitty wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I might start another thread about this: the difference between the best and the favourite.

I've always thought it was important to distinguish between the two.

Though sometimes they rank at the same level for me - OHMSS for me until I saw FRWL in the cinema - usually they are at different levels.

I equate it to this: I love both Lawrence of Arabia and Gladiator. I would say that Lawrence of Arabia is one of the best movies I've ever seen a well as one of my favourites but Gladiator ranks higher as a fave and would be much much lower on the fine film ranking.
    Ludovico wrote:

FRWL is probably the best Bond, but of that era I like TB a good deal more. But then, I like TLD even more.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

FRWL is probably the best Bond, but of that era I like TB a good deal more. But then, I like TLD even more.

I do prefer TB to FRWL, although FRWL is the best, no doubt. I think Terence Young thought little of TB compared to his first two.

I think FRWL may be the most consensual, actually. FYEO, TLD, they are good but lesser movies, emulating it without quite matching it.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Consensual for the general public? I think folks go with Goldfinger as the best Bond film. But that would mean for people who have seen the older films. Maybe, because of recent history, the GP would say Skyfall.
    For more serious fans, From Russia With Love.

Worst film, for the general public? No idea. Possibly License to Kill.
    For more serious fans? Die Another Day in a landslide.
    OHMSS is definitely not consensual, neither is Moonraker.
  • FRWL and DAD.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 17,687
    @4EverBonded Rotten Tomatoes sort of represents the general film going public, and they talley AVTAK as worst, and (get this) DN as best.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Huh? Really? AVTAK was a hit when it came out, LTK was not.
    I enjoy Dr. No. But that does surprise me. I bet that is thanks to Ursula. ;)
    chrisisall wrote:
    @4EverBonded Rotten Tomatoes sort of represents the general film going public, and they talley AVTAK as worst, and (get this) DN as best.

Well, I am glad it is DN as best and not say GE or even SF.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Huh? Really? AVTAK was a hit when it came out, LTK was not

Well it didn't flop. I think it's fair to consider it a hit, just not as big as the other Bond films.

Most likely fan favourite: From Russia With Love
    Most likely general audience favourite: Goldfinger.

Well it didn't flop. I think it's fair to consider it a hit, just not as big as the other Bond films.

And there is a difference between commercially successful and critically successful. AVTAK was not exactly hailed as a great Bond, even Roger Moore was critical about it, if I remember correctly.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    The best-*
    FRWL
    GF
    CR
    SF

The worst-*
    AVTAK
    TMWTGG
    DAD
    OP

*please note that these do not reflect my opinions but rather the general idea I get when reading reviews etc.

DN is nearly always regarded highly, almost as if by default.

FRWL- generally considered one of the best

GF- see latter

TB- generally considered a lesser installment than GF, sometimes regarded the best

YOLT- One of the lesser connerys. Rarely considered the best

OHMSS- public opinion of this installment has become more favourable over the years. Voted the best by 007 magazine.

DAF- Sometimes regarded as the worst.

LALD- average film

TMWTGG- generally regarded as the worst.

TSWLM- sometimes considered the best.

MR- mixed reactions. Loathed by some, loved by some.

FYEO- considered one of Moore's stronger films. Average installment.

OP- rarely considered the worst.

AVTAK- generally considered the worst.

TLD- rarely considered the best.

LTK- mixed. Grown more positive over the years.

GE- considered the best Brosnan. Rarely considered the best.

TND- Mixed, average installment.

TWINE- Mixed, average installment.

DAD- generally considered the worst.

CR- generally considered the best.

QOS- sometimes considered the worst. Mixed.

SF- generally considered the best.

This is the overall idea I get from rotten tomatoes, wikipedia, the media and public opinion, whether we agree with it or not (I certainly don't).
  • Pretty much everyone loves FRWL and GF. Most people also hate AVTAK ( Not me though! )
    Ludovico wrote:

And there is a difference between commercially successful and critically successful. AVTAK was not exactly hailed as a great Bond, even Roger Moore was critical about it, if I remember correctly.

Just to make sure I am clear: I was thinking of the general public's response to AVTAK and LTK. Not the serious fans.

The dude who curated the Bondathon here spoke before most of the films. He stated that he is Canada's James Bond expert a million times - and that's his site and twitter handle...

Not only did he provide only 7 Bond songs for the cinema to play in the lobby for the whole 13 days, but when he introduced GF he said it was a perfect film. THEN, when he introduced OHMSS, he said that it was a good film but would have been great if Connery had played Bond.

Those here who know me can just imagine my state of mind at that. :-L

Seems that it only takes a few bucks to buy some branded items and a few things from eBay to become a Bond expert. :|
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    The first three (DN, FRWL and GF) seemed to be universally loved at this point in time.
    That is interesting because so many younger fans have probably not seen them yet.
    People see the iconic laser scene, Bond's car and wardrobe and think that's all it takes. GF is good. It's enjoyable and might slip into my top 10 but it's now nowhere near my top 5.

For all the good stuff it has and even how pretty it is, it's still a bit boring.

*runs for cover*
    Oh it's not in my top 5 either. But so much has become truly iconic that I do still enjoy it and respect it. I especially love the way the theme song blasts Bond into another stratosphere. It is really superb.
    That is interesting because so many younger fans have probably not seen them yet.
    'Bond' fans now have access to every one they wish to see in many venues. Casual action fans may not seek all Bond movies out. And pacing is an issue in these days of forced ADD film-making, especially for the younger audience. Us older folk born before 1980 can so more easily appreciate a movie with a languid pace in spots, but the new kids demand the Bourne approach, I take it.
    In 1964, GF was like QOS. Now it's strictly sub-light, not even warp 1.
    retrokitty wrote:
    People see the iconic laser scene, Bond's car and wardrobe and think that's all it takes. GF is good. It's enjoyable and might slip into my top 10 but it's now nowhere near my top 5.

For all the good stuff it has and even how pretty it is, it's still a bit boring.

*runs for cover*

This is exactly my feelings about GF. Worst good Bond film IMO.
    By the way... I thought this thread was going to be about the movie in which the sex Bond had was most consensual. Which would definitely not be GF. :P

FRWL and OHMSS come to mind for that one though.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Bond fan favourite - FRWL, GF, OHMSS, TLD, CR
    General Public favourite - GF, LALD, TSWLM, CR, SF

I've never heard a fan complain about FRWL, at least I've never seen a fan rank it at or near the bottom of a Bond ranking.
    Goldfinger seems to be a favourite amongst many fans and the public alike. However I'm also seeing a trend of seeing the many faults the film actually has.
    Live And Let Die is a film that I hear many non-Bond fans refer to when the discussion turns to Bond.
    Benny wrote:
    Bond fan favourite - FRWL, GF, OHMSS, TLD, CR
    General Public favourite - GF, LALD, TSWLM, CR, SF

I've never heard a fan complain about FRWL, at least I've never seen a fan rank it at or near the bottom of a Bond ranking.
    Goldfinger seems to be a favourite amongst many fans and the public alike. However I'm also seeing a trend of seeing the many faults the film actually has.
    Live And Let Die is a film that I hear many non-Bond fans refer to when the discussion turns to Bond.

Calvin has a distaste for several elements of it, though he still has it ranked at something around 12 or 13.