Michael Caine slams "Connery has Alzheimer's" claims

Comments

Thing is - it was as a hint to the article on the front page of our local newspaper, which is not a gossip mag but a halfway decent daily paper. As such, I thought it might be true, but didn't want in to bring the bad news until its confirmed - or not. Why the Germans should be those in the know, is beyond me though.

Lets hope, its really not true.
  • The Australian courier mail newspaper ( based in Brisbane ) reports this:

"Michael Caine says best friend Sean Connery 'has lost his senses"

http://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/caine-connery-has-lost-his-senses/story-fnic6yv8-1226704676648

It appears accoring to this report that Daily Mail told Bild.

Despite his obvious weaknesses and problems, Connery brought Bond as a living character on the screen in 1962 in DN, then in FRWL and GF, and to me he is the best Bond by a mile. Watching him in 1962 as Bond in DN, having read Bond novels before from 1958, it was a very thrilling experience. Even the original Bond cannot defeat the old age infirmity. Hope he gets better.
    It's a sensitive subject for the people directly involved. Talking from a position of going through that process of diagnosing a condition for a parent.

I would be furious if something was printed regarding a family of mine, especially when the facts and results are still not in? I would not wish the condition upon anyone, it is very draining and upsetting for all those involved.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Here's hoping everything is OK and it's yet another one of those stories. There have been many reports over the years about Connery's health so hopefully he isn't suffering from any illness at this time.
  • JrW_008JrW_008 The North
    Just reiterating what @Samuel001 said but lets hope it's just another infamous story on Connery's health.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I really hope so too. I'm realistic enough to consider the possibility but Connery is an icon and icons are stronger than realism. If it's true, then I'm sad and I wish him the best. If it isn't, I'll still wish him the very best but nonetheless, I'm a little less sad. ;-)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I hope Sir Sean is keeping well. I wouldn't write his obituary just yet as the man's a born survivor. Just tabloid speculation and stuff and nonsense, I expect.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Funny, the Daily Mail is not running this update after they deleted their article on Connery with no retraction or apology.
    JamesPage wrote:
    Funny, the Daily Mail is not running this update after they deleted their article on Connery with no retraction or apology.

Yes I noticed that earlier. They had three links to stories on it. Clearly the whole thing is BS and they deleted the story before any chance of being sued for libel I expect.
    Connery has some suing to do!
    There was a tabloid I read about one month ago that mentioned this about Sean and also mentioned how other former actors in the Bond series, including Roger Moore, were near the end. Regarding Roger, they went through a history of his ailments going back to the 70s. They quoted one so-called insider who said that Roger, today, could barely maintain his balance and could not talk clearly. I knew that tabloid report was BS. I saw Roger interviewed last November, various times, on the release of his new Bond book. I saw his one hour interview with Piers Morgan. He was as clear in thought and communication as ever. Look in the thread on "appreciating" Roger Moore. Someone posted, on September 7, a cameo Roger did this past August 23. He looked and sounded in VERY good health to me.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    They are older now, yes. Having various ailments is part of our aging process. But stating or insinuating that someone has a terrible disease is just not okay in my book.
    I don't like gossip mags or newspapers. It is a shame they sell so well, apparently.
    Maybe this would explain why he never does interviews anymore. He forgets to turn up!
    They are older now, yes. Having various ailments is part of our aging process.

True. I'm 61 and clearly don't have the stamina nor sharpness I had in my 30s, 40s and even my 50s. But, that's OK. My faith leads me to believe there will be a new, glorious beginning where I can leave my worries behind.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Ellis wrote:
    My faith leads me to believe there will be a new, glorious beginning where I can leave my worries behind.
    Yes. Reincarnation! The law of conservation of energy and all that.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    He may mean reincarnation. However, there are probably several faiths that would have this as part of their creed. Mine does as a Christian.

But relevant to Sean: I respect his privacy and I wish others would. But he is a huge star still - and he will be gossiped about and rumored about for years to come. I remember how the press (meaning the low life tabloids) wouldn't leave Dean Martin alone in his later years.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited September 2013 Posts: 17,801
    Sir Sean's right to privacy should come first. But it is a difficult juggling match between privacy and the public interest nowadays. There is a balance there, and it's very hard to get it right as I suppose it is rather subjective - how much publicity is too much publicity? Just look at recent case law to see the battles for a right to privacy going on in the courts here in the UK and further afield. Interesting times we live in for the jurist.

Yes. Reincarnation! The law of conservation of energy and all that.
    [/quote]

No, that's not in reference to reincarnation.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Ellis wrote:

Why not? It's the way of things. We are all like the fingers in a glove, giving life to the mitten. Multiply that all the billions and trillions of Earthly life forms, and forget our ideas of 'quantity' as it pertains to the soul, and you see how [God] IS everything.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Ellis wrote:

Why not? It's the way of things. We are all like the fingers in a glove, giving life to the mitten. Multiply that all the billions and trillions of Earthly life forms, and forget our ideas of 'quantity' as it pertains to the soul, and you see how [God] IS everything.

I'm just saying that I did not have that in mind when I posted. I can see though why it might seem like I did.