Rate The Last Movie You Saw In Theaters

Comments

• SharkShark Banned
    Watched Blow-Up last night. What a bizarre and intriguing film! I suppose that's because London in 1966 was a rather bizarre and intriguing place. At any rate, I award Blow-Up 89 marks out of 100.

My mum has a cameo in that, dancing at the Yardbirds gig.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Shark wrote:
    Watched Blow-Up last night. What a bizarre and intriguing film! I suppose that's because London in 1966 was a rather bizarre and intriguing place. At any rate, I award Blow-Up 89 marks out of 100.

Nice claim to fame @Shark. Are you an actor yourself?
    Shark wrote:

One of the film's great sequences. I'll keep an eye out for her on the next watch. The pectoral fins will be a dead giveaway. ;)

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    2guns

Fun action movie and Paula Patton topless....sweet Jesus!

7.5/10
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    doubleoego wrote:
    2guns

Fun action movie and Paula Patton topless....sweet Jesus!

7.5/10

What more can you ask for, really? She looked fantastic and the action sequences were entertaining. The comedy was great, too, I had a lot of fun with this movie.
  • SharkShark Banned
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Shark wrote:

Nice claim to fame @Shark. Are you an actor yourself?

If sex tapes count, yes.
    'The World's End'

Entertaining, action was pretty entertaining, it had a few funny moments, but other than that, it was most certainly the weakest in the trilogy.

'You're Next'

Like 'The Strangers,' only with a lot more gore and death, if you're into that kind of thing in a horror movie. Excellent soundtrack, and I enjoyed the background of characters so I actually got to decide who I did and didn't like before the intensity started. Fantastic film, has to be my favorite horror film of the year so far.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Riddick 9/10

Finally got around to seeing this last night. The character of Riddick is iconic to me ever since I saw "Pitch Black". Then the video game "Escape From Butcher Bay" came out and it made me like the character even more. After that "Dark Fury" came out and I'm not one for anime but that was a movie I really enjoyed. Then came "The Chronicles Of Riddick" and while I liked it I was still let down by it. They made Riddick out to an unrealistic action hero who was almost unstoppable; it just didn't feel like the Riddick I knew. After that many said Riddick was done and we would never see him in anything again. I believed it until the video game "Assault On Dark Athena" came out and aside from the abrupt ending it was a really good game. I felt Riddick had a chance at coming back and I was right!

"Riddick" is the movie that Riddick and his fans deserve. It's truly a worthy sequel to "Pitch Black". My only two complaints about it is the pacing seems pretty slow in the middle and the movie ends rather quickly. Other than that it's great! I may even try to see it once more while it's in theaters. I'll be buying it the day it comes out on Blu-ray. Looking forward to the next installment... and please keep it R-rated
    [-O< :D
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    The Counselor 6/10

First, the positives. It is a film directed by Ridley Scott. The cast was extremely talented and interacted with each other extremely well. Which is what makes it so disappointing. The story was not very engaging most of the time and took a long time to really get going. Then, once the pace started to quicken, it would slow down again and was aimless.

This film was trying to be so clever. It wanted us to believe that it was something deeper than it really was. The truth of the matter is that behind all the style and pretty faces there wasn't much substance to be found. I thought that all of the actors did a fine job with the material that was given to them. I still found myself to be bored throughout most of the proceedings.

I've always been a fan of Fassbender and he did not disappoint me here. Javier Bardeem was brilliant as usual. Cameron Diaz was good but not great but I must say that she absolutely stole the show with one particular scene involving a car. WOW! Penelope Cruz was her usual self. If you usually like her then you will like her here. If you don't like her then the same will apply here too. Brad Pitt was great in a minor role. He should have been in the movie more.

What else can I say? The movie felt dragged out because there wasn't enough story to tell in the allotted time frame. In lesser hands this movie could have been a disaster. Mr. Scott does provide some breath taking shots to distract you once in a while. There are also some thrills to be found here and there. However, if Ridley wasn't directing then the cast would not have been so stellar. It just seems like a wasted opportunity all around.

@pachazo, I was so looking forward to 'The Counselor,' but I've read really negative reviews thus far about how the plot is atrocious. I would still like to see it, but seeing as how I've missed out on the past few films I've really wanted to see, I'm sure this will be the same case.
    Rush 9/10

A superb film that, reasonably accurately, portrays the Lauda v Hunt era in Formula1. Even if you are not a racing fan there is much to commend it - great performances, exciting action sequences (even if you know what happens) and a tale of two superb sportsmen.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @pachazo, I was so looking forward to 'The Counselor,' but I've read really negative reviews thus far about how the plot is atrocious. I would still like to see it, but seeing as how I've missed out on the past few films I've really wanted to see, I'm sure this will be the same case.
    It's worth a watch at some point as long as you keep your expectations in line. I'd say skip the theater and catch it on blu ray.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Captain Phillips. A very good movie. The lead Somali Pirate was brilliant even more so considering this was his first acting gig. Hanks was on top form. 8.5/10.
    @pachazo, I may do that. I have better things to spend/save money on, and after a summer of excellent films, I don't want to tarnish this year by wasting money at the cinemas.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Last films in the cinema were in this order

Rush: Best film of 2013 IMO. Formula One dramatization of the '70s James Hunt- Niki Lauda rivalry. 5/5 stars. The racing scenes are exceptionally well done. The real Niki Lauda approves too.

Prisoners: With Hugh Jackman. Good tense thriller. Pay close attention to all the characters. You might be able to figure out whodunnit 5/5 stars

Escape Plan: Stallone and Arnie. Somewhat plodding but does adequately deliver. For genre fans. 3/5 stars
    @timmer, even more good reviews for 'Rush' and 'Prisoners'. I really want to see both. Anyone see 'Bad Grandpa' yet? It finally knocked 'Gravity' off its #1 pedestal (though I think after a few weeks of deep dramas and whatnot, the general public was looking for some silly comedy).
    Speaking of, Gravity was the last film I saw in theaters. I give it 8.5/10. It was really well done and it made me feel like I was in space. I saw this with my sister and she liked the movie but not the ending, she felt like their should've been more to it. I liked the ending and thought it fit well with the rest of the movie.
    This thread is really under-utilized, so I'll bump it.

I saw 'The Wolf of Wall Street,' and after all of these years, Scorsese still has it. It was fun, hilarious, entertaining, he did a bang up job. I went in knowing squat about stock brokers and I managed to follow along just fine. Highly recommended.
  • Wolf of Wall Street just became my favorite movie of all time . 10/10
    007Skyfall wrote:
    Wolf of Wall Street just became my favorite movie of all time . 10/10

That's very cool. It's in my Top 10 for 2013. I'm not sure if it toppled 'Oblivion,' but it was truly amazing. The last thing I need to see that I think will topple any of the 'Top 3' is 'American Hustle,' so we'll see.
    I can't wait to see 'Wolf'. Scorsese is my favourite Director of all time. Glad to see people are really liking this film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2014 Posts: 17,687
    Inside Llewyn Davis

A strange little art house movie from the Cohens. Definitely not for everyone, but I enjoyed the trip mostly because it gave my Wife & I a lot to discuss afterwards.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Inside Llewyn Davis

A strange little art house movie from the Cohens. Definitely not for everyone, but I enjoyed the trip mostly because it gave my Wife & I a lot to discuss afterwards.

I've heard a lot of talk about it, I'll catch it at some point solely because it'll hit the Oscars, and I think the lead actor is phenomenal in everything I've seen him in.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Speaking of, Gravity was the last film I saw in theaters. I give it 8.5/10. It was really well done and it made me feel like I was in space. I saw this with my sister and she liked the movie but not the ending, she felt like their should've been more to it. I liked the ending and thought it fit well with the rest of the movie.

One of the best films of 13. The 3d was good as well. Curious about what Cuaron will do next.
    It's been over a month since I've been to the theater. The last two films I saw in theaters were...

Bad Grandpa 5.5/10
    I was really disappointed with this one. I only got two or three good laughs out of it. The rest was just kind of boring.

Thor: The Dark World 9/10
    Really enjoyed the new entry in the MARVEL world! It's not quite as good as "The Avengers" but it was better than the first "Thor", which is a film I really enjoy.

I hope to see "The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug", "The Wolf Of Wall Street", "Anchorman 2", and "47 Ronin" before they all leave the theater.
    @QsAssistant, that's how I felt with 'Bad Grandpa.' I laughed once or twice, but it wasn't as hilarious as most said it was.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited January 2014 Posts: 4,043
    American Hustle 2013

American Hustle is an entertaining few hours where director David O'Russell give us his best Martin Scorcesse impression. The cast are superb with Christian Bale and Amy Adams smouldering on the screen. Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence offering great support and a certain Scorcesse veteran gives us his most effectively sinister turn in years in a brief but memorable cameo.

If it loses itself towards the end as characters start to grow a conscience it still is worth the duration and has a terrific soundtrack littered with 70's classics throughout. I look at this as an hors d'oeuvre for the main course, Marty's epic Wolf of Wall Street!

* * * 1/2
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom - 6/10
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Wolf Of Wall Street - 10/10
    I hear "The Wolf Of Wall Street" has just won the honor of most F-bombs in a movie. I think the number is just over 500 times!