The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

@Dimi- I forgot TLD'S "why didn't you learn the violin" line. The funniest one he uttered during his brief tenure. I still laugh when I hear it said.

Yes, I'll give him credit for a very good delivery of that line but he does struggle significantly with others "better make that two", "he got the boot", "he met his Waterloo" etc.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @Dimi- I forgot TLD'S "why didn't you learn the violin" line. The funniest one he uttered during his brief tenure. I still laugh when I hear it said.

Yes, I'll give him credit for a very good delivery of that line but he does struggle significantly with others "better make that two", "he got the boot", "he met his Waterloo" etc.
    Indeed, that's why I struggle with the thesis. I indeed find Brosnan over-acted too much, but sometimes he got it dead right. With Tim it sometimes seemed forced. imo neither is anywhere near as Craig when it comes to humour. But I do have the feeling DC has more to say scriptwise too.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 3,494

Indeed, that's why I struggle with the thesis. I indeed find Brosnan over-acted too much, but sometimes he got it dead right. With Tim it sometimes seemed forced. imo neither is anywhere near as Craig when it comes to humour. But I do have the feeling DC has more to say scriptwise too.

You should have that feeling, he does have a degree of creative control over how the character is written and that's been documented as he's said he would not have taken the role otherwise.

I also agree that he is better than both Dalton and Brosnan in the humor department. It always seemed that most of the laughs for me in the Brosnan era came through support characters such as Zukovsky and Wade that he could play off of.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

You should have that feeling, he does have a degree of creative control over how the character is written and that's been documented as he's said he would not have taken the role otherwise.

I also agree that he is better than both Dalton and Brosnan in the humor department. It always seemed that most of the laughs for me in the Brosnan era came through support characters such as Zukovsky and Wade that he could play off of.

Well Craig was very wise to negotiate that veto as Brosnan could sure have done with it on DAD!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    It does show DC's professionalism. He sure is hellbent on making the best Bondfilms ever. And at least according to the box-offices, he's doing a good job..
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 240</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>From a modern POV, MR's space tech is more credible than YOLT's.</b></font>
    No I disagree with this thesis because I could just never get my head around how they built the space station without anybody on Earth noticing. The radar jamming system couldn't have come into effect until the station was fully operational surely? Plus even by today's standards the laser battle is still pretty stupid so imagine how it must have been perceived in '79.

Having said all that, I still prefer MR over YOLT :-)
    Sort of depends whether you're referring to the space shuttles (more credible than a capsule-swallowing rogue reusable rocket ship) or the vast, radar-proof space station (less credible than a capsule-swallowing rogue reusable rocket ship) in MR.
    Never really gave it much thought until it was highlighted in the above. While man had still yet to set foot on the moon by the time of You Only Live Twice's 1967 release, it did seem more tangible in retrospect over Moonraker some 12 years later. Space exploration had more appeal and intrigue in the immediate years before the landings actually occured and You Only Live Twice did a fine enough job of it. Moonraker, while they spent an astronomical amount of money, just seemed to go a bit far with the laser battle and Drax spacestation. Above all else - James Bond should never have gone into outer space to begin with. Disagree with the latest thesis. You Only Live Twice is more palpable of the two releases. A whole lot less silly or even embarrassing, you could even add into it
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Dr_Yes wrote:
    Sort of depends whether you're referring to the space shuttles (more credible than a capsule-swallowing rogue reusable rocket ship) or the vast, radar-proof space station (less credible than a capsule-swallowing rogue reusable rocket ship) in MR.
    That's a great point and what I was thinking as well but I think that the space laser battle in MR pushes it over the edge here. I vote for YOLT and must disagree with the thesis.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 2,400
    I think they have an equal level of *mod edit*, to be honest. Though if I had to pick the single, most pathetic, most ridiculous level of retarded from the two films, it would be the laser battle in Moonraker. The worst thing in YOLT was that they had a SpaceCam capturing the whole thing on television for the world leaders and Bond to see.

In other news, I have my own thesis: ShakenNotStirred is the worst player of "Guess the character" in the history of "Guess the character".
    The worst thing in YOLT was that they had a SpaceCam capturing the whole thing on television for the world leaders and Bond to see.

That always gets me. If anything, it's even worse than the other convenient camera that shows Bond the "Japanese efficiency" of dropping the bad guys' car into the harbor right on the dashboard TV screen. It would have made more sense in the climax to have a radar scope showing the SPECTRE rocket blip approaching the capsule blip intercut with the spacecraft action for the audience to enjoy. If Broccoli & Saltzman really, really wanted us to see that expensive model effects work one more time, that would have done it logically. But logic was never high on the list during production for YOLT!
    edited August 2013 Posts: 7,996
    Hell no! MR starts out with the theft of an apparently fully fuelled spaceshuttle from the back of a 747.. I mean come on, the 747 could never carry a fuelled shuttle! Then there's the series of launches. One rocket into space in a remote area you might get away with, but a full series? then there's the not-noticed space station with gravitational field to boot. All in all, rather stocked (with utter nonsense) which would only be rivalled by DAD.
    To compare, getting a single rocket in space which captures another ship is way out there, but still closer to reality especially considering the times, then MR (in it's day).
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 240</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>From a modern POV, MR's space tech is more credible than YOLT's.</b></font>

I would disagree on this one. Think the plotline in YOLT is a little more credible than MR, as I tend to think along the same lines as Willygalores post.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 241</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>A young Bond film should not be allowed to exist within the official EON film series.</b></font>
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It should not exist at all. I can't see EON making it part of the official series anyway, so our 23 plus films are safe for now.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I agree with Thesis 241. I don't think it should exist, within the EON series or not.
    Can only reiterate what has already been mentioned. I don't think this idea will ever see the light of day, but we've seen some major surprises with Bond before in recent years, so anything is possible, but surely even this, would appear a litte too far. Thesis is correct, although Lazenby was 29 when featured in OHMSS, so maybe a little too late already ? Guess it's dependant on who's reading and respective ages maybe. Lazenby appeared to be a 'young' Bond at the time, that's all
    Young Bond just shouldn't exist. More than agree with the thesis.
    Two words to sum up my feeling on this: "Hell" and "no".
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I don't think this idea will ever see the light of day, but we've seen some major surprises with Bond before in recent years, so anything is possible, but surely even this, would appear a litte too far.
    One would surely hope so but perhaps if they're still making these movies in 2062 this is what they'll have to resort to for the 100th anniversary because the idea well will have dried out by then. I hope I'm not there to see it. Needless to say I agree with the thesis.
    Young Bond just shouldn't exist. More than agree with the thesis.
    What he says!
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 241</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>A young Bond film should not be allowed to exist within the official EON film series.</b></font>

Agree 100%!!!!!!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Within the official EON series, I agree NOT allowed.
  • Two words to sum up my feeling on this: "Hell" and "no".

That works for me :))
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 242</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Fiona Volpe was the most progressive Bond girl of the 60s.</b></font>
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The only one of her type at the time, without doubt. I agree.
    Couldn't agree more
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Progressive? If you include villains as Bond girls, then yes that is true.
    Although, I would say that Tracy would be second.
    I wonder if anyone will mention Pussy as more progressive... ;-) I can say right now that I would disagree with that. Pussy is old fashioned in the sense that she's a woman with - following the orthodoxy of the times - a weakness that only a strong man like Bond can 'cure'.