New members - introduce yourself

Comments

• edited June 2013 Posts: 169
    Now that I'm older and wiser, I can better appreciate the positive aspects of the Moore Bonds. TSWLM and FYEO are, in my opinion, good Bond films and not simply good Moore Bond films. I think both are better than DAF, for example, let alone DAD. I actually loved TSWLM when I was a kid. I was excited to see Richard Kiel in the cast because I knew him from my favorite childhood show "The Wild Wild West" in which he played Dr. Loveless's henchman. But in MR, the humor was too ridiculous for me I didn't like Jaws being turned into a good guy. Thankfully, he didn't appear again after MR and I still like his dangerous image in TSWLM; I can even forgive the indestructible aspect of his character in that film. But he's still no Oddjob.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    timmer wrote:
    Alas,I am still waiting for a truly worthy heir to Sean. It does seem to require the patience of Job.
    It sounds like you won't be satisfied unless Sean Connery himself (circa 1960's) returns to the role. No one could ever duplicate him. No one would even set themselves up for the failure of trying to. Every actor has brought something unique to the role. We all have our preferences of course. You'll be waiting a long time though for Connery's clone to be in the next Bond movie.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    pachazo wrote:
    timmer wrote:
    Alas,I am still waiting for a truly worthy heir to Sean. It does seem to require the patience of Job.
    It sounds like you won't be satisfied unless Sean Connery himself (circa 1960's) returns to the role. No one could ever duplicate him. No one would even set themselves up for the failure of trying to. Every actor has brought something unique to the role. We all have our preferences of course. You'll be waiting a long time though for Connery's clone to be in the next Bond movie.

Indeed, though Daniel Craig does a very good job to my mind. Enough of this harking back and comparing.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    pachazo wrote:
    Alas you may be right, but the one actor that did give hope was Laz. IMO he was the closest to the Connery persona. In fact he was quite good. But what both Connors and Laz had in common is they were both young, both had the look and were both naturally physical and athletic.
    As for the others, I don't think either Rog or Broz were capable of finding the Connery persona. They weren't threatening enough.
    Dalts and Craig on the other hand, though both quite capable, chose, for better or worse, to explore Bond's more human and vulnerable side.
    We Connery dreamers may yet be rewarded some day, when a strapping young actor enters the fray, determined to replicate the Connery magic. It could happen. [-O<

Edit: Anyway, I am rambling off the focus of the thread title, even if the subject matter was prompted by a new members introduction.
    Maybe I will start a thread at some point regarding the Connery Bond persona. Can it, or will it be re-visited?

• Hi, New to the community, my name is John.

Been a James Bond fan since first seeing Dr No on tv as a young 'un (I must have been about 9 or 10). After that, I was hooked and made it my mission to watch 007 any time he was on tv. Been a fan for around 30 years now (just turned 40) and still get a thrill when I throw a movie on, and often enjoy deciding on a specific few weeks to undertake a Bondathon.

My favourite of the Bond movies is probably Dr No as it was the first one I saw. Favourite Bond for me is Sean Connery, although I have a great fondness for Sir Rog.

Well, I look forward to contributing as much as possible to this wonderful community and can't wait to talk and discuss all things James Bond with you, although please be aware I may not be as good with the words as others on here ;0).

Thanks.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Welcome aboard John. Great username.
  • Samuel001 wrote:

Thank you very much. Haha, yeah, took me a while to come up with that.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Hehe yes, unique one! Welcome to the forums :)>-
  • Hehe yes, unique one! Welcome to the forums :)>-

Many thanks.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Welcome @StrangwaysLetterBox - I'm sure you're first class.
  • Hi, my name is Richard and I've been a Bond fan since a trip to the cinema to see A View To A Kill in 1985. I love the films and enjoy them all, I don't have a favourite actor as I think they have all brought qualities to the role and have been excellent for their times. I'm also interested in the Fleming novels and the many continuation authors.

Generally I'm fairly positive about every aspect of the world of Bond, I like both the seriousness of From Russia With Love and the slapstick of Moonraker, the journalistic flair of Flemings writing and the more workmanlike approach of the Gardner novels. To me it's like one vast box of assorted chocolates that I can dip into and choose depending on my mood at the time.

Nice to know there are other obsessive Bond fans out there and I look forward to exchanging views with all of you, even though my subject knowledge may not be as great as some of you I hope I can still make a small but worthwhile contribution to your excellent forum.
  • 00Hero00Hero Banned
    edited July 2013 Posts: 121
    I feel like Im getting off on the wrong foot with many of you chaps so lets try again. Hi my names Greg but you can call me Greggy. I started with the books then the films havent seen them all yet but Skyfalls my favroute and hope I get to know you all better too.
    'Greggy' ?!

You just got to fit in @00Hero and take things at your own pace and respect other members and try to steer clear of arguments or above all else - simply adhere to the rules of the MI6 forum and you won't go far wrong. Welcome aboard
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I see a lot of new "faces" around here. Welcome one and all.
  • 00Hero00Hero Banned
    Thankyou @Baltimore and @Sandy I hope you like me. Thankyou for not being mean.

My names Greg but I perfer Greggy if thats ok I hope theres nothing wrong with it.
    I've been a Bond fan since I saw LALD at the age of 9 although I had already been exposed to spy and secret agent material on TV from watching reruns of The Avengers, The Saint, and The Wild Wild West. A local cinema had a series of Bond double features shortly after LALD came out so I was able to see all the 1960s films for the first time on the big screen. Not long after that, I bought the Fleming novels at a used bookstore although I didn't read all of them (I just recently caught up with a couple of the novels via Kindle). My Bond enthusiasm has waxed & waned over the years; each time a new Bond actor has emerged, I've seen his debut in a movie theater. I'm a big Daniel Craig fan currently. In general, I prefer the less-gadgety, more-serious Bond outings yet there are things I can enjoy in all of them. Although I think OHMSS and FRWL are the best in the series, GF remains my all-time favorite just because it's so damned entertaining. I know Red Grant is more realistic than Odd Job, for example, but he's still the henchman I like best. Meanwhile, I'm about to start reading Len Deighton's series that the Harry Palmer films came from - I love that series, too!
    Welcome aboard @DrYes

It's well recognized, that Goldfinger is not one of this users favorite releases, but the Fort Knox battle with Bond and Sekata and the timer countdown is one of the best sequences in the entire movie. Oddjob was a great villain, and I'd even put him up there with Shaw's Donald Grant. One killed with a watch-garotte, the other with a steel-rimmed bowler hat, both unique and memorable ideas. Hope you enjoy your time on these pages
  • RikRik Southend
    Just found this board, so thought I'd best say hello :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Welcome aboard, @Rik! Thanks for joining us. Hope you find this a warm, interesting, and fun forum. I do.
    Hi everyone! I'm Steven from Gibraltar (of Living Daylights fame!) and I've been following this forum for quite a while but only now decided to start posting. Been a Bond fan all my life, having read most of the books. I love all portrayals of Bond, but particularly those of Sir Roger Moore and Daniel Craig (I recognise how bi-polar this may seem)!

I look forward to discussing Bond with you all
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Hello, @steven88! Welcome, welcome. I'd love to visit Gibraltar one day. I do love TLD. :) I thoroughly enjoy Roger Moore's Bond as well as Daniel Craig's, too. So you are not alone - nor do I think we are bipolar. We are broadminded enough to enjoy different kinds of Bonds. Hope you have fun here.
    Thanks very much, I'm sure I'll have a great time!
  • RikRik Southend
    Welcome aboard, @Rik! Thanks for joining us. Hope you find this a warm, interesting, and fun forum. I do.

Aye, It seems a decent and active forum thus far. Thanks for the welcome :)
  • My name is Dane and I am new to the message boards. I was introduced to James Bond through Goldeneye 007 video game on N64 at the age of 10 and since then I grew up watching the Pierce Brosnan movies. My first bond film in theaters was TND. I saw TWINE is theaters as well but I left disappointed. I skipped DAD in theaters when I heard all the bad reviews. I saw CR at the theater in college at Michigan State University and the film rekindled my passion for the Bond Franchise. I have seen all three Daniel Craig films in theaters and I was very satisfied with QoS at the theater that I saw it 3 times opening weekend. When I heard everyone around me say it is not a real Bond film I decided I needed to explore the 60s Bond films and see for myself. I fell in love with FRWL and OHMSS when I bought Volume 3 of The Ultimate James Bond DVD collection in 09 and I watch those movies often. I met my wife in college shortly after discovering OHMSS so I chose We Have All The Time in The World as my song for her. When I proposed to her to be my wife I used the lines from OHMSS in the barn when Bond proposes to Tracy. I used the song for when she walked down the aisle and our reception dance. She has become a James Bond enthusiast as well. I started reading the novels in 2011 with CR and I am currently halfway through MR. I have been visiting the boards for the last few months and I have enjoyed everyone's comments so much that I wanted to participate myself. I found this forum right after SF showed and I was so impressed with all the positive and negative reviews. I hope this is a great way to pass the time until 11-6-15 where hopefully we get a Fleming style thriller next from Mendes.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Welcome aboard, Dane, Steven, Rik, Richard and Dr_Yes! :)
    Welcome aboard, Dane, Steven, Rik, Richard and Dr_Yes! :)

Thanks! Just reading through many of the discussion threads. I could do this all day :)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Welcome to the community, folks!
    Dr_Yes wrote:
    I've been a Bond fan since I saw LALD at the age of 9
    What a superb introduction to Bond! Highly entertaining film.
    My first bond film in theaters was TND. I saw TWINE is theaters as well but I left disappointed. ... ...hopefully we get a Fleming style thriller next from Mendes.
    Agreed. Skyfall was decent, but I'm hoping for a spy thriller with a more complex plot- like FRWL. TND was also my first cinema experience, and thought TWINE wasn't quite as good a follow-up.
    steven88 wrote:
    Just reading through many of the discussion threads. I could do this all day :)
    Now THAT is a day well spent. ;)
  • Hello I'm new here big Bond fan since I was 6, which was about a year after The Man With The Golden Gun. My first film was On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Lazenby is my fave actor. I'm 44 (I know I'm an old man). Bit of a soccer fan Man. Utd and rugby Sale Sharks also watch Little Britain and guy's don't take the piss here but I'm gay. I hope you accept me for who I am won't be on much more going on some other websites so yeah if you know what I mean , I have a feeling I'm the only gay in the community similar to what Dafyd would say in LB.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Welcome @BerettaandJinx, great user name. Good to have another Lazenby fan on board, there's such a great range of ages on this site that at 44 you can consider yourself to be just in your prime rather than an 'old man'. Likewise the community has a diverse array of members from all different backgrounds and you certainly won't be the member who' is gay (in fact author Mark O'Connell who has written a book on being both gay and a Bond fan posts here) I suppose you might occasionally get the odd homophobic comment but then again like everywhere we have our share of small minded idiots! Anyway a warm welcome and I look forward to your future posts.

Likewise a warm welcome to all the new members.
    Samuel001 wrote:

Thank you very much. Haha, yeah, took me a while to come up with that.

Hello John. This is Zehry. Nothing to worry about. I am the original one. After all, I actually know the origin of my name. I can tell you this...it definitely is not an Australian boy's name. Interested? Google me if you dare.