Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

edited June 2013 Posts: 1,575
    The Italian Job (1969)
    Funny classic film.10/10
    Taken 2. Although I liked it, it didn't have the same edge to it. I think maybe if it was a client he was assigned too was TAKEN? Maybe it would have worked a little better? Not sure?
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Taken 2. Although I liked it, it didn't have the same edge to it. I think maybe if it was a client he was assigned too was TAKEN? Maybe it would have worked a little better? Not sure?

I actually like that idea! I hear they are making a third and if one of them gets taken again it's going to be redundant. I also like the idea of doing a prequel where we get to see what he did when he worked for the government.
    RogueAgent wrote:

I actually like that idea! I hear they are making a third and if one of them gets taken again it's going to be redundant. I also like the idea of doing a prequel where we get to see what he did when he worked for the government.

Think the client abduction would be ideal for the third?!!!
    Doctor Who The Movie Enjoyed it a bit more than last time.

Bit pathetic how they killed off the 7th doctor (lands in the middle of a shooting) but I really like the regeneration bit with the Frankenstein parallels and I like the Millennium eve setting.

Way too Americanised and The Master is just awful but it's alright. I like Paul McGann.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'll say this for the movie, I loved that TARDIS interior.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I'll say this for the movie, I loved that TARDIS interior.

Same here. Big, homely, gothic and steampunky.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Man of Steel

Enjoyed it but thought they went a little overboard with the CGI. Henry Cavil was decent enough as Superman and he reminded me of a younger "prettier" version of Pierce Brosnan for some reason. Must have been the hair!

7/10

Your not the only one. :))

RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I think that would be the best option. Unfortunately I think they are going to go with one of them getting taken again. They sort of set that up at the end of the second; when Bryan and Murad are talking (just before Bryan kills him) they say something along the lines if Bryan kills Murad, Murad's family will come for him. That's probably going to happen.

RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I think that would be the best option. Unfortunately I think they are going to go with one of them getting taken again. They sort of set that up at the end of the second; when Bryan and Murad are talking (just before Bryan kills him) they say something along the lines if Bryan kills Murad, Murad's family will come for him. That's probably going to happen.

Possibly? But didn't we read that Neeson had regrets about making the second film? And if so? Would he want to do a third?
    I haven't heard anything about that but maybe.

Anyway, back to the main topic at hand.

Skyfall 8/10
    Haven't watched it since it was in theaters, so I bought it the other day on Blu-Ray. Love this film and it's in my top 10 Bond films.

Hansel and Gretel 8/10
    I was honestly expecting this movie to suck as much as Van Helsing. To my surprise it was really good! This movie was everything that Van Helsing should've been. It had great action, funny lines, gore, and it was dark. Kind of hope they make a sequel and keep it rated R; if they go PG-13 it will probably suck.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I have always loved Van Helsing, actually. It really sparked my imagination when I was young. I need to see it again sometime.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 1,817
    A pure formality
    A little known movie with Gerard Depardieu and Roman Polansky (as an actor), directed by Giuseppe Tornatore.
    No action, no big stunts, no special effects... Just great dialogues between the main characters.
    And Morricone's soundtrack is great. I'll post some tracks on the Music Findings thread.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @QsAssistant, I was quite surprised with 'Hansel and Gretel,' as well. It was very enjoyable.

I can't count how many movies I've watched since my absence, but I watched 'The Pact' last night and found that to be quite scary, as was 'Mama.' I also saw 'Snitch,' with Dwayne Johnson, and found it to be incredibly mediocre. I mean, I wasn't expecting much when I rented it, and while it was nice to see Johnson acting instead of being a scary brute, it was just wasn't that grand for me.
    Watched Django Unchained, Die Hard 5, The Last Stand and Jack Reacher this past week. Jack Reacher for me was the best out of these movies, surprised me was not what i expected.

Django 7/10
    Die Hard 5 3/10
    The Last Stand 6/10
    Jack Reacher 8/10
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 1,310
    Star Trek (09) and Star Trek Into Darkness have put me in a Trek mood, to say the least. It suddenly dawned on me that I had never seen an older Star Trek film (Kirk nor Picard). Well that is about to change. I've posted this in the 'Star Trek' thread too, but as it is the last movie I've watched......

Beginning my first trek into the films of Star Trek....I commence with....

220px-Star_Trek_I.jpg
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture (The Director's Edition)

I'll just get this one out of the way - yes, Star Trek: The Motion Picture has some SERIOUS pacing issues. It is far too long, and likely could have been cut by at least 20 minutes.

However...

I was surprised by how intellectual the film is. I found the plot with V'ger quite fascinating - so much so that it almost made up for the lack of forward action in the story. Because pacing aside, TMP's strongest trait is its plot. It takes a while for things to get moving during the entire course of the film, but when they are moving, the film is can actually be fairly strong. I read that the director, Robert Wise, wanted this film to be the "spiritual successor" to 2001: A Space Odyssey. While TMP is obviously not as good as A Space Odyssey, I can appreciate the 2001 influence TMP has. And indeed, Star Trek: The Motion Picture does capture some of the tones of the Kubrick classic.

Some people scoff at the fact that TMP is pretty much a reunion film, but (with the exception of the 3 hour long introduction of the Enterprise) I thought the re-introductions of the characters were done well enough. I can already tell that Dr. "Bones" McCoy is going to be a favorite of mine. Then there is (in)famous Captain Kirk. William Shatner is an acquired taste, that is for sure. But his screen presence is fantastic, and I thought Shatner whips up a very respectable performance.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The excessive length can be incredibly tedious and should not be overlooked, but I found it to be the film's only significant flaw. (Albeit it is a fairly large one.) If you stick with the film and push your attention span to its limits, TMP contains a very interesting story.

Oh, and I almost forgot: Jerry Goldsmith's score is a big reason why some of the overly long special effects shots didn't bore me (as much as it would have). Goldsmith's score is both haunting and elegant, and it makes for one hell of a soundtrack. Certainly one of the best sci-fi scores I've ever heard.

Footnote: I understand that the Director's Edition of this film is better than the original theatrical version. I am almost unsure if I even want to watch the theatrical version now, as I did mostly enjoy this director's cut.

1. Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Edition) (1979) - 7/10

Up next....

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Director's Edition)
    Watched Django Unchained, Die Hard 5, The Last Stand and Jack Reacher this past week. Jack Reacher for me was the best out of these movies, surprised me was not what i expected.

I watched Django Unchained recently too and thought it would be better than it was.
    I also give it a 7/10.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Man of Steel

And I liked it very much. Will see it again shortly. I hope it can spawn at least one sequel. It think there's good material in this film to build on and I'd love to see them further explore this Superman Universe.

1008278_nl_man_of_steel_1370872604171.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Thor (2011)

Well, my anti-hipster arse is finally building up to watch the Avengers AN ENTIRE YEAR AFTER ITS RELEASE, and to do so I needed to get background on the heroes in the film that I missed seeing. Thor was first up on my list, and while I held it off simply because I have never been interested in the character, I gotta say: I really liked this film. When I first heard Kenneth Branagh was directing this I found it odd, but it really is quite Shakespearean when examined. You have the whole family drama aspect of Romeo and Juliet in the relationship between Thor and Loki and their search for approval from Odin and
    both of their attempts to get the throne cause more than enough family strife.
    There is the Macbeth aspect of the film as well, where
    Loki uses his evil nature to become King of Asgard
    but I won't go into that. My point is, Thor and his world feel very Shakespearean, so I now realize why Branagh jumped at it.

I really enjoyed the story, though some of it is eye-rolling mythic/scientific jargon that seems like pants when you think about it, but the film makes you believe things like the bifrost are possible. The story of the 9 realms and Thor and Loki's
    respective attempts at trying to achieve the honor of being King of Asgard are cool, and when Thor is banished I really like what they did with the character and how Thor acted on earth, a lost man who has no ideas of the planet's customs and every experience is new to him.
    I love how the story is framed, and I never once lost the excitement of the film as it moved along. Chris Hemsworth was shockingly great at playing Thor, and handled all the drama really well. I had never really seen him act before, but I was proudly surprised at how he handled the character, and he was both dramatic and funny in the film, and never let those two aspects go unbalanced. I heard Natalie Portman wasn't too excited about being in this film as some woman she joined the project to work with dropped out, but I loved her in it and she and Chris had surprisingly great chemistry. Kat Dennings and Stellan Skarsgard are cool supporting characters and both handled their roles great. Kat made me laugh out loud more than once, that is for sure.
    Clark Gregg was good in his Coulson appearance and there were great references to Tony Stark, Bruce Banner and more in the film that made me grin. I knew the first moment I saw a SHIELD agent choose a bow and arrow over guns that Hawkeye would be making a cameo in this film, but I didn't know if it would be Renner in the role as I wasn't aware the character was in this film at all until that moment. When I saw him onscreen I grinned, and though it was brief the moment was pretty cool. All of this was a cool set-up to Avengers.
    Overall, the film was really good and kept me glued. I liked the acting, and the special affects were one of my favorite things in this film. They are absolutely jaw-dropping, and seriously some of the best I have ever seen. It was refreshing to see that the effects were used correctly to increase the audience's immersion into the film's tale and its many realms of the universe including the gorgeous Asgard and chilling Yodenheim instead of exploiting it for making mindless explosion after explosion. Congratulations to all the FX team for making a beautiful showcase of their talents, and at this, I am off!

Now, on to Captain America: The First Avenger!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Captain America is utter junk and by far the worst of all the Marvel films, that being said I was utterly underwhelmed by The Avengers, a certain other blockbuster released last year left it standing and that didn't rely on C.G.I to tell it's story.

Yes I mean Skyfall.
    Django Unchained: In a world of political correctness gone mad? How on earth Tarantino got this film made is a miracle? Action, gore, humour and lets say not pc language? I have to say I absolutely loved it! The guts and all reminded me of Expendables type stuff, and as for the humour? I had tears in my eyes with laughter. Sam Jackson in particular stole the movie for me. :-bd
    Lincoln on blu-ray.

Well made movie with some great performances - Daniel Day Lewis rightfully being the stand-out performer with an absolutely mesmorising performance.

However, almost found the film too talky and at times felt more like a history lesson rather than a dramatic presentation. It will go on the shelf with the rest of the Spielberg movies but ot sure I'll be returning to it in a hurry.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Shardlake wrote:
    Captain America is utter junk and by far the worst of all the Marvel films, that being said I was utterly underwhelmed by The Avengers, a certain other blockbuster released last year left it standing and that didn't rely on C.G.I to tell it's story.

Yes I mean Skyfall.

I disagree to be honest. ;-) I really like Captain America. This film ranks higher for me than Iron Man 2 and 3, Incredible Hulk and yes, even Thor. I'm fond of the action beats of the film, the score, most of the performances and above all, the setting.

As for The Avengers, I'll admit it: I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. Works the magic for me. :D Great film.

I'm usually not a fan of CGI unless it's well used. I think Avengers puts CGI to good use. Plus, you can't convincingly raise the bar in these superhero films without a good portion of CGI. Skyfall is in a different range IMO. It's doesn't need CGI to tell its story but then it doesn't expect Bond to fly around in an iron suit whilst fighting fantastical creatures. ;-)

Just my two cents though.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Allow me to add a dime here.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 533
    The last movie I saw was "WORLD WAR Z", which starred Brad Pitt and was directed by Marc Foster (who directed "QUANTUM OF SOLACE"). Here is a photo:

world-war-z-still.jpg

It was much better than I thought, even if it was a loose adaptation of the book.
  • I've declined to see WWZ precisely because of Forster's involvement. I thought he did a terrible job on QoS. Is WWZ actually a better use of his talents?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2013 Posts: 4,043
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:

Yes I mean Skyfall.

I disagree to be honest. ;-) I really like Captain America. This film ranks higher for me than Iron Man 2 and 3, Incredible Hulk and yes, even Thor. I'm fond of the action beats of the film, the score, most of the performances and above all, the setting.

As for The Avengers, I'll admit it: I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. Works the magic for me. :D Great film.

I'm usually not a fan of CGI unless it's well used. I think Avengers puts CGI to good use. Plus, you can't convincingly raise the bar in these superhero films without a good portion of CGI. Skyfall is in a different range IMO. It's doesn't need CGI to tell its story but then it doesn't expect Bond to fly around in an iron suit whilst fighting fantastical creatures. ;-)

I've just had enough of this kind of film full stop, TDKR was a big disappointment and easily the worst of Nolan's Bat flicks for me, I just think I've grown out of Comic book films, thought I'd be up for Man of Steel but you no what I'm not.

This genre I think has run it's course with me unless it really pulls something remarkable out of the bag, unlucky for me as it seems to be how Hollywood makes it's money and more and more of these films keep getting green lighted, I guess I'm just to old for this......

Watched the amazing Mads Mkelsen in The Hunt last night, what a hugely powerful film, with the likes of this and Hannibal he's becoming one of my favourite actors around.

Very recommended and very suspenseful and Mads plays a blinder, it was nice to see him in ordinary man guise after seeing him play the bad guy.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Man of Steel.

Better than I thought it was going to be. Henry Cavill was excellent as Superman. Though for me I liked Kevin Costner the best in this film. He reminded me so much of my own father. Everyone else was pretty good in there roles too. saw a few BSG regulars as background characters too. Though it has it's flaws and I think it was trying too hard to out do the Avengers. Half the time I kept thinking. This is how Thor should have been to an extent. All in all the film was very entertaining and I finally got to hear a Hans Zimmer score that was pretty good instead of the usual batman repeated loop riffs.

Final rank.

7.5 out of 10.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 12,837
    @Shardlake They're churning out so many of these comic book movies that I don't think it'll be too long before the masses get sick of them.

I'm with you to be honest. Considered going to see the new Iron Man but I couldn't be arsed and I have no interest in the new Superman whatsoever.

I think the genre has pretty much run it's course as well and I can't see these films repeatedly gross a billion dollars for much longer.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited June 2013 Posts: 17,691
    They're churning out so many of these comic book movies that I don't think it'll be too long before the masses get sick of them.
    Now that ANY movie can have 'great' FX, we're back to needing good characters and WRITING. Avengers has good writing/ Iron Man has RDJ... Man Of Steel has...
    great FX...
    ;)