SPECTRE: Bringing skiing to new levels in Austria (Julian Carr & Halvor Angvik?)

Comments

Samuel001 wrote:
    How would people feel if Craig didn't get a ski action sequence? For some reason I can't see it happening.

I'm not sure........because Sean Connery didn't get one either? :P.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,350
    True and it's not like it needs to be done. It was done so poorly in The World Is Not Enough, for now leave it alone, I say.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 48
    Skiing skills already paraded. Surfing too. underwater too. even tarzan like tree surfng too. Dancing and singing skill is pending!
    Samuel001 wrote:
    True and it's not like it needs to be done. It was done so poorly in The World Is Not Enough, for now leave it alone, I say.

That's what this topic is about: Bringing skiing to new levels. There can be done so much more with winter sports.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Skiing in Bond again : Well, first there was Inception, and then there will be The Secret Service soon (they say they'll stay close to the book). Something different will be needed.
    It wouldn't be the end of the world if DC didn't get one? I just love them though! But I do agree the TWINE one could have been a lot better!
    Ooowh absolutely. The TWINE ski sequence felt like.....a filler. Nothing more. And it was just...too many explosives behind the skiing Bond. No, I'd welcome something more original. Like the videos on the first page.
    Skiing in Bond again : Well, first there was Inception, and then there will be The Secret Service soon (they say they'll stay close to the book). Something different will be needed.

Why.....?? Why is something different needed? Do you actually know that the official Bond franchise contains 23 films? How on earth could you constantly stay 'original'? With Bond it has been about inventing the wheel for the past recent decades. And with the Craig films 're-inventing the wheel' got an even better and newer meaning.

A ski chase as a complete copy of OHMSS/TWINE? Off course a big no! But re-inventing the ski chase with the names in the topic title in mind could be awesome and jawdropping. Moreover, what do you suggest then if you don't want to see any kind of ski chase?
  • I am dying for a good ski sequence! I say Whistler!!! When has bond been to Cananda...right?!?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    In TLD we had an original sky sequence...

I want Daniel Craig skiing and underwater (in complete costume, you know)...
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 5,745
    I've posted this almost dozens of times before, but Jeremy Clarkson once drove a Jaguar X-Type down a ski slope and it was B-A. Could totally see Craig's Bond taking the Aston for a 'short cut'.

• Beware of going too close to self parody !

Note the Michel Julienne joke at 1:50
  • Beware of going too close to self parody !

Note the Michel Julienne joke at 1:50

This is plain funny :-D. Love this scene.
    Some early production news from our beloved MI6-HQ.COM ;) : http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=11290&t=mi6&s=news

So Sam Mendes did some scouting while he was on a ski-ing trip ;-)?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Some early production news from our beloved MI6-HQ.COM ;) : http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=11290&t=mi6&s=news

So Sam Mendes did some scouting while he was on a ski-ing trip ;-)?

This news is pretty old. I didn't think the shooting pushback to November was confirmed.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Baz broke this news last month. Snow could be on the agenda. Now I just want to know what they plan to do with it.

At this point I think Baz knows what he is talking about. November it is.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Well I said it in the past, if the film really did get pushed back to a shooting start of November and that gave them time for a really good skiing scene, then by all means, take the extra time.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,015
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Snow could be on the agenda. Now I just want to know what they plan to do with it.

A 25 seconds long take of some blood on snow ? :)
    i would be very happy for a great skiing sequence!!!!
    Denmark has no mountains like Norway/Sweden , they have hills at best ;)
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 9,770
    I just don't get why they can't film in Canada....

And why we can't have a ski chase that rivals The Spy who Loved Me (the best ski sequence)
    There's nothing nicer to put yourself in the shoes of the production crew of Bond 24 no ;-)? I always try to do this as realistically as possible. I know, I know....the whole story for the 24th Bond film must have been set out already. Screenplay writer John Logan must have come up with an ingenious plot by now.

In the meanwhile, being a severe wintersports fan myself (I love speedskating and skiing was absolutely wunderful last year with my friends), I think it's time Bond 24 will set a standard again in skiing. Yes, I know, Willy Bogner already did that marvellously in OHMSS, TSWLM and FYEO. But really, skiing has truly evolved since then. 'Alta skiing' is a true daredevil type of skiing that makes Willy Bogner's work look like old man's stuff (With all do respect for Mr. Bogner. He did wunderful stuff for the Bond films). Nowadays, 'alta skiing' can be filmed perfectly with GoPro HD Equipment camera's (Barbara? Michael? Perhaps an idea?).

Have a look at these examples from alta skiing, made with GoPro HD Equipment. Skiing is done by alta skiing veteran Julian Carr:
    <youtube>
    <youtube>
    <youtube>
    <youtube>

Having seen the above examples, I think one can create one hell of a ski chase in which Bond is followed by a couple of Blofeld's henchmen. Or, the other way around, Bond is actually chasing a henchman on ski's, but he dies during alta skiing....

What do you think guys? Time for a true winter sports Bond film again?

Well, apparently...it seems there's a big chance Bond 24 will be a true winter-Bond-film like "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" ;-). Thank you for this great news MI6-HQ: http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond-24-report-20140820-austria-locations?t=&s=&id=03733

Is there a chance....scouts or "spies" inside EON Productions are actually reading these posts on MI6-HQ?
    Are there people who have some other ideas on how to make ski-ing exciting again in Bond 24?
    I think that the music score that goes along with the skiing scenes is going to be very important as it was in OHMSS. Personally I'd rather have Arnold back for the score, and not Newman...
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I feel that a first-person camera view while skiing is not so exciting. Aerial stunts lose a lot of their "awesomeness" and a camera that follows the skier just captures more of the overall dramatics. So Julian Carr can be a stuntman, but not the cameraman.
    Winter sports are a bit 20th Century I think - back in the days when bond films were part travelogue.

Bond needs to expose something new and exciting (or mad and dangerous) - like these sorts of things perhaps...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mY2AmohdZqA

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8L8UCfxmtSw
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

00:47 to 1:07 is a simply staggering sequence. It would be epic to see these guys in a Bond film.

That clip is just incredible. If we could get something like this for Bond 24; consider it a game changer for every action set piece in the film genre.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2014 Posts: 12,459
    It would need to be something fresh and exciting, and yes they can do that. Any snow/ski/chase scene does not have to be done in the same way as in the past. I would expect Mendes to want Bond 24 to have some spectacular scenes that are not just the same kind we have had in previous films. It has been long enough for a Bond film not to have major snow scenes; I'm quite happy at the news we are getting.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 11,119
    Anon wrote: »
    Winter sports are a bit 20th Century I think - back in the days when bond films were part travelogue.

Bond needs to expose something new and exciting (or mad and dangerous) - like these sorts of things perhaps...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mY2AmohdZqA

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8L8UCfxmtSw

Snow scenes or ski chases IMO are as timeless as car chases and fights on top of a train. It's all about the realism if you ask me. The car chase in 'AVTAK' is very different from the 'QOS'-chase. The train fight in 'OP' certainly looks less "zesty" than the train fight in 'SF'. Ask today's stuntmen and let them discuss with the now retired stuntmen from the past. So even Willy Bognor can piss in his pants when he reads the screenplay for Bond 24 no ;-)?

By the way.....never forget that with 24 Bond films it's almost inevitable to recycle certain action sequences. But it's now more a matter of mixing and shaking them up to today's standards.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, I agree with all of your thoughts on that, GG.

I'm getting really a lot more excited these days. More actual news is heading our way like a snowball rolling downhill and getting bigger and bigger. :-bd