"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

Happy birthday, Pierce Brosnan!
  • And Jesper Christensen as well! I want to see him return as Mr. White and hopefully in 2014 :)
    DAD certainly has some good moments. The PTS with Bond getting captured and then tortured was actually quite unique, I mean how many times does a PTS end with Bond in serious trouble?
  • Every official Bond film including DAD has some good and memorable moments, no question. For me, DAD lacks in the ratio of these good moments to it's poor moments. Plus Brozzer not being my cup of tea as Bond doesn't help matters.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Every official Bond film including DAD has some good and memorable moments, no question. For me, DAD lacks in the ratio of these good moments to it's poor moments.

I'm not even sure its that. The PTS, opening half hour, Blades fight and ice chase with the Aston and Jag are all decent. There are plenty of good things in there. Its not the ratio of good to bad that drags it down its that the bad stuff is soooo bad.

Throw Jinx, an invisible car, CGI done by Broadmoor inmates and the robocop suit into any Bond film and it will be holed below the water line.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Every official Bond film including DAD has some good and memorable moments, no question. For me, DAD lacks in the ratio of these good moments to it's poor moments.

I'm not even sure its that. The PTS, opening half hour, Blades fight and ice chase with the Aston and Jag are all decent. There are plenty of good things in there. Its not the ratio of good to bad that drags it down its that the bad stuff is soooo bad.

Throw Jinx, an invisible car, CGI done by Broadmoor inmates and the robocop suit into any Bond film and it will be holed below the water line.

Very true, Ice. You make your points well. DAD seems to bring in sci-fi/comic book superhero elements not previously seen in James Bond films - a big "no-no" in my book. This is what makes it truly dire, in my view.
    SaintMark wrote:
    royale65 wrote:
    @identigraph

well, that depresses me, a little bit. No Bond movie should be in a 99p bargain bin.

It just shows how much DVD's have gone down in value. Alas

It is how I got QoB and even then I doubt I got value for my 99 cents. ;)
    I wonder if they give out DAF and DAD for free?

They'd pay me to buy DAD and I wouldn't want it.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 17,802
    Yes, both DAF and DAD are bargain basement Bond. There's the proof.
    Dragonpol wrote:

Very true, Ice. You make your points well. DAD seems to bring in sci-fi/comic book superhero elements not previously seen in James Bond films - a big "no-no" in my book. This is what makes it truly dire, in my view.

I don't even think the sword fight and the cars fight are good at all, or even remotely decent. Both are overlong and cartoonish. The PTS was overall ok, but the gunbarrel was dumb and spoils the whole thing. There is one thing I liked about DAD: when Bond takes the shades off the diamond smuggler and puts them on. That's it.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

I don't even think the sword fight and the cars fight are good at all, or even remotely decent. Both are overlong and cartoonish. The PTS was overall ok, but the gunbarrel was dumb and spoils the whole thing. There is one thing I liked about DAD: when Bond takes the shades off the diamond smuggler and puts them on. That's it.

Well, while I liked the Blades sword fight I agree that the cars fight is just plain silly - both the Bond and villain cars are gadget laden - yeah, whatever.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Perhaps I was a bit over zealous in my praise. I agree with you that the Blades fight and Aston ice chase are cartooonish. Particularly the latter with Bond and Zao shooting each others missiles out of the sky. Although the actual stunt driving is exemplary, just a shame we dont see enough of it amongst all the gadgetry.

I'll give you the shades. Dont forget where he catches the gun off the MRI scanner and when he kicks the sword into the camera. Thats probably the lot.
    DAD and DAF have many similarities, all quite apart from the fact that they are both DUFF!
    My favourite thing about Die Another Day is how awful it is. Sometimes you're in the mood to watch a bad movie, like Star Wars Episode I. You know it's going to suck, but you don't want a story any deeper than an ant hole. Die Another Day fits the bill nicely.
    My favourite thing about Die Another Day is how awful it is. Sometimes you're in the mood to watch a bad movie, like Star Wars Episode I. You know it's going to suck, but you don't want a story any deeper than an ant hole. Die Another Day fits the bill nicely.

Whoa. I'm never in a mood to watch a film as bad as Episode 1. I might slag DAD and Indy IV but if you are in the right mood they are watchable. Cant even give Episode 1 that accolade.

Whoa. I'm never in a mood to watch a film as bad as Episode 1. I might slag DAD and Indy IV but if you are in the right mood they are watchable. Cant even give Episode 1 that accolade.

I know nothing about Star Wars, but I know that The Phantom Menace is pretty much derided everywhere! Nice to see DAD get a little praise on these boards as it was very successful when it first came out in late 2002.

Dragonpol wrote:

I know nothing about Star Wars, but I know that The Phantom Menace is pretty much derided everywhere! Nice to see DAD get a little praise on these boards as it was very successful when it first came out in late 2002.

Is that praise? Saying something is better than Episode 1?

A bit like saying Fred West isn't too bad a bloke really when you compare him to Hitler.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 17,802
    Dragonpol wrote:

A bit like saying Fred West isn't too bad a bloke really when you compare him to Hitler.

...or indeed Dr Harold Shipman. Tut-tut. You must compare like for like when you're talking about the degrees of evil!
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

...or indeed Dr Harold Shipman. Tut-tut. You must compare like for like when you're talking about the degrees of evil!

Never a big fan of Shipman myself. Giving old biddies injections just a bit dull. I know hes got the body count to back him up but hes no Sutcliffe in my book!
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Well i prefer DAD over TWINE any day. I suppose that's something.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Never a big fan of Shipman myself. Giving old biddies injections just a bit dull. I know hes got the body count to back him up but hes no Sutcliffe in my book!

I didn't like old Fred due to the fact that he was a sleekit bastard who preyed on the old, weak and vulnerable like such a big man.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

I didn't like old Fred due to the fact that he was a sleekit bastard who preyed on the old, weak and vulnerable like such a big man.

Well the guvnor always has to be Jack as he never got caught but I have a soft spot for Sutcliffe. With the whole country hunting him down he didnt stop and always out in the open not buried in a basement or at some old peoples home like Fred or Shipman.

Mind you some of the Russian ones are pretty spectacular, Chikatilo and the chessboard guy, but their success is largely down to the ineptitude of the Russian police. I think with our police on the job they would have been caught much sooner.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Well the guvnor always has to be Jack as he never got caught but I have a soft spot for Sutcliffe. With the whole country hunting him down he didnt stop and always out in the open not buried in a basement or at some old peoples home like Fred or Shipman.

Mind you some of the Russian ones are pretty spectacular, Chikatilo and the chessboard guy, but their success is largely down to the ineptitude of the Russian police. I think with our police on the job they would have been caught much sooner.

There have been several doctors who killed - see Dr John Bodkin Adams, who came from Limivady, Northern Ireland, the country I live in. Yes, well I'm fascinated by serial killers too, which brings me neatly around to my favourite subject - Never Send Flowers (1993), on which I'm writing a lengthy piece on my blog. I'm looking at this novel from every conceivable angle as it's the only Bond novel featuring a serial killer mystery plot. I know that you remain to be convinced on this one, Ice, but I may just yet surprise you.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

There have been several doctors who killed - see Dr John Bodkin Adams, who came from Limivady, Northern Ireland, the country I live in. Yes, well I'm fascinated by serial killers too, which brings me neatly around to my favourite subject - Never Send Flowers (1993), on which I'm writing a lengthy piece on my blog. I'm looking at this novel from every conceivable angle as it's the only Bond novel featuring a serial killer mystery plot. I know that you remain to be convinced on this one, Ice, but I may just yet surprise you.

OK Mods time for you to chastise us for wandering off topic. Please! Anything to stop him going on about NSF!!!
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

OK Mods time for you to chastise us for wandering off topic. Please! Anything to stop him going on about NSF!!!

Ha ha ha! You desperado. I'll give you a head-whippin' over NSF come July. You'll see things my way, boy! Or Lever Bros. will give you your money back....
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Ha ha ha! You desperado. I'll give you a head-whippin' over NSF come July. You'll see things my way, boy! Or Lever Bros. will give you your money back....

Sounds like my own personal Room 101. Tied to a chair with Dragonpol gleefully reading aloud from NSF.
    "If you want a vision of the future, [Ice], imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever." O'Brien/Dragonpol. The punishment for all of those who refuse to recognise the excellence of Never Send Flowers!
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Enough is enough lets get this back on track please.
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    Enough is enough lets get this back on track please.

Yes, I'm all for doing that. Sorry.
    While DAD is actually getting some good comments on another thread,maybe its time to bump this one back into action.

On a personal note,i fast forward through the CGI Tsunami crap and i turn the film off sometimes when it comes to Bond and Jinx boarding Grave's plane at the end,but,as i have said before,when i have had one too many drinkies its always the Bond film i reach for,its just fun to watch and not heavy going as some are.

And,as i have said before,the invisible car doesnt bother me at all,its explained that it is all mirror reflections that create this,and i think calling it a 'camouflaged' car is more appropriate than 'invisible'.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Funnily enough I watched a chunk of it last night. Parts of it are god awful, particularly in the Iceland section. During those scenes you find yourself thinking "what the hell went wrong" and "its unbelievable CR came after this". That said there are bits of the first half I do enjoy like Cuba, the parachute jump outside Buckingham Palace, some of the action (the swordfight) and the trade between Bond and Zao.

But bloody hell you want someone to shoot Halle Berry.

At the moment I can't decide which is worse between this and DAF. Both are in the bottom 2 for me, but my gut tells me I have more fun watching DAD (for the reasons stated above). I find DAF a slog most of the time.

I'm laughing thinking about DAD right now :))