Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Skyfall.
  • Skyfall by a hair (6 and 7 on the Bond list). Dr. No gets all kind of credit for starting the series, of course.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Skyfall
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    Dr. No
  • Skyfall #7, Dr.No #8 in my personal poll, so there's my vote.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Dr. No but I love them both.
    This may be blasphamous for some of the older fans but I'm going to go for Skyfall. As much as I love Dr No Skyfall just feels a more polished and has great performances from EVERYONE.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Skyfall
    Dr No, wins by a long way for me, Connery in his prime, some classic moments. Skyfall still not doing it for me following a few watches.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Skyfall, even though both of them are quite brilliant!
    Doctor NO easily
  • Both great films but i'm going for Skyfall
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Skyfall. Though Dr. No is great, too.
    DrNo is truly a James Bond Movie as it stars Sean Connery who defined the role. Skyfall? I could not still have the feel that it is a Bond Movie since the stature of Craig does not create the image of Bond! Sean Connery / Bond movies provided the escapist entertainment without unnecessary sentiments making the production of future Bond movies profitable. Skyfall and its contents with lot of sentiments, like M's death, Craig's 'oscar winning' funniest sentimental acting (in future movies Bond character may also cry and weep!).... Please, for God's sake don't ever compare any Craig movie with Connery's...
    though choice, Skyfall win for me
    Certainly Dr. No!
    An exotic landscape, a cleverly acting and investigating, distinguished looking 00 killing his Way up the Food chain in a professional way for reasons one can relate to. Up to the Moment they get caught by No's Guards (at which i usually hit the stop button)this is one of my very Favourite Bond Flics. How i wished they would still make Bond Movies the Old fashioned Way , you know with Real Stunts (even though Dr. No is not a really good example in that regard),Real Locations and -most of all- real Scripts!!!
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Exotic landscape? I watched Dr No a couple of weeks back and really enjoyed it but quite a bit of it looks like its done on a set or a soundstage. Compared to what came afterwards it does look rather cheap.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Exotic landscape? I watched Dr No a couple of weeks back and really enjoyed it but quite a bit of it looks like its done on a set or a soundstage. Compared to what came afterwards it does look rather cheap.

That's because it is, but Jamaika is real and so is the landscape and considering it still looks colourfull and exotic to me in the 21 Century i can only imagine what it did to People back in 62.
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

That's because it is, but Jamaika is real and so is the landscape and considering it still looks colourfull and exotic to me in the 21 Century i can only imagine what it did to People back in 62.

So Istanbul doesn't look exotic or impressive? Neither does Shanghai nor the Scottish highlands?

One thing I noticed about Dr No is that, unlike later entries, there are virtually no large-scale establishing shots.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Does Matt Helm loath Skyfall... What?!
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

So Istanbul doesn't look exotic or impressive? Neither does Shanghai nor the Scottish highlands?

One thing I noticed about Dr No is that, unlike later entries, there are virtually no large-scale establishing shots.

Well,the little of Istanbul we see looks alright. But that's just a Wall,some Roofs combined with a glimpse of the Bazar and the Hagia Sophia. Hell,we have a -probably, since i have Never actually seen it, terrible cheesy Tv Series here in Germany called Homocide Istanbul and in the 20 something seconds i Need to Switch channels they manage to show more of Istanbul than all of SF.
    About those 40 seconds or so we actually see of Shanghai, they look absolutely stunning, but i have a hunch that one could fly a chimp with a Camera across this City at Night and it still would look great. Highlands? Probably allright ,since they look the same as in just about every Movie they are featured,again for a 40 second stint on the Screen.
    I also Never claimed,that Dr. No was a Wonder of cinematography. It's not. Terence Young wasn't a terrible gifted Director himself, which is only proof that Bond doesn't need a "Stardirector", rather one with an eye for a Story and respect for 007 and his audience. And again- Dr No was made for probably less than Mr. Fiennes got for his Performance (Inflation adjusted!)
    I really like both movies but for me Skyfall edges for the performances. As good as the story of Dr No is some of the supporting cast aren't all THAT great (and that includes Ursula who is saved by a strong, iconic character).

Even in FRWL the acting is better all round.

I think you're being a tad harsh about the photography in SF. Personally I thought the cinematography was exceptional. I've seen a few films with China and the Scottish highlands featured and SF really makes them look stunning.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Japan

Shanghai is in China :)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Japan

Shanghai is in China :)

D'oh, corrected :)
    Skyfall
    I choose SkyFall! It's more enjoyable across the board than Dr. No; however, I do not hate Dr. No by any means! It's quite good! I just find SF to be a little better, mainly because, well, it has more action, which I'm all about! Still though, even from a non-action standpoint, it has a bit more to offer than DN. Interestingly enough though, neither one of them have very good soundtracks, the way I see it! (or hear it, haha!)
  • senthilvel wrote:
    DrNo is truly a James Bond Movie as it stars Sean Connery who defined the role. Skyfall? I could not still have the feel that it is a Bond Movie since the stature of Craig does not create the image of Bond! Sean Connery / Bond movies provided the escapist entertainment without unnecessary sentiments making the production of future Bond movies profitable. Skyfall and its contents with lot of sentiments, like M's death, Craig's 'oscar winning' funniest sentimental acting (in future movies Bond character may also cry and weep!).... Please, for God's sake don't ever compare any Craig movie with Connery's...

I'd just love to hear why you'd say that, if I haven't figured it out already.

MrBond wrote:
    Does Matt Helm loath Skyfall... What?!

Considerably and sufficiently to the point of nausea, I'd say ;)
    Dr No, and by quite a distance in actual fact

First Bond release, great performance by the actor in question, it has Ursula Andress, great and exotic locations (apologies to the London subway network), plenty of suspense, has much more of the Bond feel to it than most others, and it's simply put, an outstanding release. Skyfall was good, impressive. But simply not on the same level as the other
    Dr No, and by quite a distance in actual fact

First Bond release, great performance by the actor in question, it has Ursula Andress, great and exotic locations (apologies to the London subway network), plenty of suspense, has much more of the Bond feel to it than most others, and it's simply put, an outstanding release. Skyfall was good, impressive. But simply not on the same level as the other

I could have counted on you to go the DN route, @Baltimore_007!
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I had to think about this one for a little bit but I'm going to vote for Skyfall. Both movies are good but both movies tend to be slightly overrated amongst fans.