What do you miss about Bond, that the older ones have and the new ones don't?

Comments

edited April 2013 Posts: 581
    Ludovico wrote:
    002 wrote:
    The plot of the villain in QOS was brilliant.

misc-are-you-fucking-kidding-me-clean-l.png

Anything intelligent to say?[/quote]

id say something but the mods would censore it

but how is the plot of the villian of QOS so brilliant....he just wants to control the water supply of Bolivia...hardly a call for James Bond maybe someone from United Nations perhaps but come on he wants to control water or is it oil?

and dont be a smartarse Ludovico
    anyway what i miss about the old bond films is the classic feel and the fact that bond films were fun they didnt have to be gritty like Bourne they could feel a bit larger than life thats what seperates Bond films from regular action films
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    002 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    002 wrote:
    The plot of the villain in QOS was brilliant.

misc-are-you-fucking-kidding-me-clean-l.png

Anything intelligent to say?

but how is the plot of the villian of QOS so brilliant....he just wants to control the water supply of Bolivia...hardly a call for James Bond maybe someone from United Nations perhaps but come on he wants to control water or is it oil?

[/quote]

As we have said, if you control the resources of a group or area (especially the valuable resource of water) you can in turn control the people. They also in turn won't be able to stage a revolution against you if they are too weak and degraded to fight, insuring your longtime rule. While Medrano had control on the area of Bolivia Greene and Quantum would have had a stake in it and make more money to fund their operations as well. It isn't rocket science to see how smart that is, mate.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Sammm04 wrote:
    So it was you who made that poster, made me laugh more than any other poster, it was brilliant.
    Cheers. Yeah, it was supposed to be a kind of modern Moonraker story- without Bond and the villain going into space ;) He investigates a commercial space travel organization (i don't know- maybe they send their customers up there to participate in something more sinister than a tour around the earth) - something that EON may use in a plot in the future.

Regarding the end scene: along with the Bond girl surviving, I wouldn't mind seeing Bond and her having to be rescued. We haven't seen this since TND (they didn't seem like they needed rescuing in DAD...). Of course this may mean ending the film in a body of water or desolate landscape such as snow-capped mountains, jungle, desert etc. It just goes to show that Bond does need to rely on MI6 from time to time. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    QBranch wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:
    So it was you who made that poster, made me laugh more than any other poster, it was brilliant.
    Cheers. Yeah, it was supposed to be a kind of modern Moonraker story- without Bond and the villain going into space ;) He investigates a commercial space travel organization (i don't know- maybe they send their customers up there to participate in something more sinister than a tour around the earth) - something that EON may use in a plot in the future.

Regarding the end scene: along with the Bond girl surviving, I wouldn't mind seeing Bond and her having to be rescued. We haven't seen this since TND (they didn't seem like they needed rescuing in DAD...). Of course this may mean ending the film in a body of water or desolate landscape such as snow-capped mountains, jungle, desert etc. It just goes to show that Bond does need to rely on MI6 from time to time. ;)

No, we were the ones that needed rescuing. Those credits couldn't come soon enough, could they?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Ha ha, how did I predict that kind of response?! :))
    RC7 wrote:
    @Ludovico Oh I didn't say it was bad, someone else did. In context I don't like it in the movie though, it's something that is integral to Chinatown but a mere McGuffin in QoS. I don't think 'realism' is justification, so called 'realism' is a passing fad of blockbuster films. I just want something interesting from a narrative, it could be about four blokes trapping ghosts in New York, if it's done with verve, I'll buy it.

I fundamentaly have to disagree with you on that one. The water in Chinatown is no less a McGuffin than in QoS,since the Plot and revelation of Chinatown is of course the greek Tragedy unfolding in Front of our eyes at the very end of the Movie. I know,that when i saw it first the narrative of Child abuse and inbreeding hit me like a fist in the solarus plexus and made this a very depressing (albeit fascinating )experience. I still consider it one of the best emotionally attaching Movies i have ever seen (together with Dog Days and ...and Justice for all,even though i don't consider myself much of a Paccino Fan ).
    Bye the Way ,the water Plot in itself wasn't an extremly original one, Since there must be at least 10 Cowboy Films from the 50ties and 60ties where someone tries to get Control of all the water "in the Valley or the Dessert or the ...you Name it.
  • RC7RC7
    edited April 2013 Posts: 10,512
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    @Ludovico Oh I didn't say it was bad, someone else did. In context I don't like it in the movie though, it's something that is integral to Chinatown but a mere McGuffin in QoS. I don't think 'realism' is justification, so called 'realism' is a passing fad of blockbuster films. I just want something interesting from a narrative, it could be about four blokes trapping ghosts in New York, if it's done with verve, I'll buy it.

I fundamentaly have to disagree with you on that one. The water in Chinatown is no less a McGuffin than in QoS,since the Plot and revelation of Chinatown is of course the greek Tragedy unfolding in Front of our eyes at the very end of the Movie.

While I see your point, I'd say it is thematically resonant. There's a moment early in the film where Hollis is told he's basically a genius for using water to turn LA from a wasted patch of desert to a metropolis, symbolic of the American dream. This comes full circle when the value of water is completely abused, effectively showing the inherent corruptive nature of the American dream. There are plenty of little symbolic moments littered throughout. While it is a plot device, it's one delivered with the care you would expect of a Polanksi film and why I can't even begin to see how it validates the plot of QoS. It's an interesting angle and a bold move for a Bond film, it just wasn't really shown due care and attention for me. It was lost in the mire of action, mourning and general haphazardness.
    RC7 wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

I fundamentaly have to disagree with you on that one. The water in Chinatown is no less a McGuffin than in QoS,since the Plot and revelation of Chinatown is of course the greek Tragedy unfolding in Front of our eyes at the very end of the Movie.

While I see your point, I'd say it is thematically resonant. There's a moment early in the film where Hollis is told he's basically a genius for using water to turn LA from a wasted patch of desert to a metropolis, symbolic of the American dream. This comes full circle when the value of water is completely abused, effectively showing the inherent corruptive nature of the American dream. There are plenty of little symbolic moments littered throughout. While it is a plot device, it's one delivered with the care you would expect of a Polanksi film and why I can't even begin to see how it validates the plot of QoS. It's an interesting angle and a bold move for a Bond film, it just wasn't really shown due care and attention for me. It was lost in the mire of action, mourning and general haphazardness.

It absolutely is thematically resonant! Still it is a McGuffin, brillantly executed or not. Look, i am not arguing against Chinatown. I adore this Film and See it as a Monument of its kind. I am also quite able to See symbolism or methaphors BUT consider them overrated. It is still the Story that does it. You can fill a Movie with Symbolism up to Mars,but if the Tale isn't gripping it is worth nothing. For example, one could argue,that the fate of daughter and grandchild is a parable of the Way Americans treated the Indians ( the native Americans,therefore the children of the american continent), but still without the Impact of the Storys Drama it would be worth spit!
    Also, i absolutely agree with you, that the water Plot wasn't handled with due care. Come to think about it, YOU should be THE ONE on this Site who should already know,how i feel about QoS's Story Development, Since it was you,who asked me in the "quantum-of-solace-the-worst-bond-flick-to-date" thread, what i would change in QoS to make it a gem ( as i had claimed would have been possible with some very minor changes). Actually i had wondered,why you Never commented on my little "Essay". Since it is possible,that you Never realised, that i had answered you request (so to speak) i copied in Down there from the original thread ....

Matt_Helm March 19 QuoteEditFlag

RC7 said:
    Matt_Helm said:
    It is my firm believe,that If there were only about three Lines altered , just as many added and a Maximum of 2 minutes extra filmed (combined with a tad easier approach to the editing) QoS would stand Out as the ultimate gem in the Series.

Which three lines would you have altered, and which three would you have inserted?

Also, which two minutes would you have added?

"So here i go..

Since i happen to enjoy the PTS (which like all the action scenes in QoS is much better on a large tv screen,than in the cinema) a lot i won't ask, how it is possible,that this 20000 € Alfa can keep up so easily with Bonds Car. If i was Mr. Aston or Martin i'd be very annoyed!

1. But Fun aside the First Thing i would change is the Yussef angle. When M mentions,that they found a Lock of his Hair to confirm (!)he is dead (after all it doesn't really makes Sense,that Quantum goes to such lenghts to convince the MI6 Yussef is dead, just to spoil it with such a stupid mistake!), my Bond would have insisted,that Vesper wasn't sentimental and this was all too Easy. Then M ,not believing him something along the "that's it,007.Period!" Routine. That Knowledge would really give Bond some Motivation to ignore Orders and lets the audience follow more emotional attached.
    Then i would (against my firm Love of Logic in Storylines) keep the "We're looking over our shoulders" monolog of White Since it Works so well. Of course it makes no Sense,because if they have people everywhere (which apparently they have) they know,that british and American Intelligence have no idea of their existence.
    I would skip the Foot Chase right after the horse Race (or even better have them Run in the middle of the Race ). There is Way too much Running around in The Craig Bonds ! Let me add,that the following Hangover Fight to me is a one of a Kind. Wow!

2. Haiti : After killing Slate Bond would Screen the room, just to give the Breaking in a reason and for remembering us he is on a Hunt.

3.Have him questioning Camille after the boat Fight. One could use their Airplane and Cave Dialog for it so i wouldn't have to spare one of my precious 3 Lines.
    It just makes no Sense he just leaves her back in the Harbour,when she obviously knows a Lot about the Things going on.

4. Now to Austria. While Bond is listening Quantums Top brass and it comes to the canadians i would have Greene saying something like "I attached Yussef to it. He managed to make contact with a canadian Intelligence Officer,which is already very Fond of him. I don't know how he does it, but the Girls just do anything for him. Even die." Now just picture Craigs Face looking really grim and hateful and imagine how emotionally pushed up the audience now is, thirsting with Bond for Revenge. Remember,emotionally attached is my keyword.

5. When he phones M after the shootout my Bond would make it a Point to say simply "it wasn't me" when he gets accused of having Shot the Special Branch member. (This is the One Thing that doesn't makes sense at all. Writer Strike or not, just about anybody during filming the scene could have asked why this stupid limey does not tell her how it really is?) I would also like my M to believe him and to give him a hint where to get some Money and helph. Something along the Lines :"don't you dare to go Mathis,just because he is near to your Place in ..."
    Ever wondered how Bond knew where Mathis lived and why he spent so willingly a bundle of Money for Bond to Dress,Travel and sleep First Class? Much more convincing if he knew that he gets refounded by the MI6 after all is over.

6. At the Party i feel we should See how Things happen to Mathis. All that's needed is that after this "Friend" of him says he wants to Show him something we See him Lead Mathis to a Room and when he enters there are a few thugish looking Soldiers waiting. The Rest our Fantasy would handle quite easily. This Way the Finding of him in the Trunk would not feel that forced. Also Bond and Leiter should have some Short eye contact, so 007 knows he can Talk to at the CIA. This "I asked a Cab driver ..." Line really is overdoing this "how incompetent the CIA is " Buisness!

7. heightened Plot. When Greene tells Medrano about their New Tarif for Water he could add something like this: "We have - one Way or another (imagine a sinister smile on Greenes Face) - obtained two thirds of the water rights in Central and South America. The only ones we don't Own are those in countries not worth being owned. You all can keep your Oil and whatever your countries provide, but you will Pay dearly for the Most elementary desire. Thirst. "
    This should have emphasized the Real "Weight" of the Plot for all those who constantly Need the World to be in DANGER to feel thrilled and would also feel much more naturally for an Organisation like Quantum, than simply raising some Tarifs in a third World Country.

8. Questioning Greene for a few seconds,so we know a few more Stories about Yussef, so we can Build up a Little extra hate and also know how Bond Finds him in russia.

Well, that's it. If i have counted right, i should be within my selfimposed limits (at least i hope so). Sure if i was Matt Helm Almighty i would have one or two Things to alter, but ... You know..
    Hope i could satisfy your curiousity."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Good ideas above.
    anyway can we please get back on topic.....
    002 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    002 wrote:

Anything intelligent to say?

Not my fault if you have poor arguments. I did explain how, if you had bothered to read the ubsequent posts. Having a country like Bolivia controlled by Quantum, becoming both a dictatorship AND a kleptocracy, is something of interest for the UK and MI6, especially since both UK and the US were fooled by Quantum to think Bolivia had petrol.
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Bye the Way ,the water Plot in itself wasn't an extremly original one, Since there must be at least 10 Cowboy Films from the 50ties and 60ties where someone tries to get Control of all the water "in the Valley or the Dessert or the ...you Name it.

It was not completely original, I mentioned it as it has been used in a number of movies, but it was in the context of a modern action movie. It certainly was more than say petrol or diamonds.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

It was not completely original, I mentioned it as it has been used in a number of movies, but it was in the context of a modern action movie. It certainly was more than say petrol or diamonds.

Sorry! I didn't mean to suggest, that you had said so. I was merely commenting on RC7 s Claims regarding the difference of the water Plot in QoS and Chinatown ( and since he hasn't responded yet i assume he found my Arguments quite convincing).
    Again, i appologize for not bringing my Point across clearly enough.
    I posted this in the "Bond 24 wishlist" thread, but I miss the old drawn/painted posters we used to get. They were as much pieces of art as the films.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2013 Posts: 9,117
    I posted this in the "Bond 24 wishlist" thread, but I miss the old drawn/painted posters we used to get. They were as much pieces of art as the films.

Hear, hear.

If only EON were listening though.

I find the modern poster art so uninspiring. Can anyone tell me the difference between this: http://www.impawards.com/2012/posters/django_unchained_ver8_xlg.jpg

and this: http://www.goodgirlsgonegeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/bourne-poster.jpg

and this: http://www.007.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/UK-DC-5x8_AW_22958-Skyfall.jpg

Except one is wearing a cowboy outfit, one a leather jacket and one a tux.

Bond used to lead the way in poster art so why do we have to follow this dull photoshop trend. Its been 25 years since a truly great poster - please get Robert Mcginnis, Bob Peak and Dan Gouzee back.

I loved the CR posters though, for some reason. But now movie posters are really generic, you are right.
    I wouldn't mind the return of the good old hand drawn posters myself.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Hand drawn/painted for $5k or photoshopped for $200?
    Do the math, everyone else is.
    Bye bye art.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    This Song. PLEASE PAY JOHN BARRY'S ESTATE AND USE IT IN B24 PLEASE! :((
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited April 2013 Posts: 2,635
    Murdock wrote:

I remember this song!! I LOVE it!! Been in a lot of 007 movies, Including Moonraker!! Found it on the recommended videos:

I've been trying to locate this song everywhere, thank you @Murdock.
    QBranch wrote:
    It just goes to show that Bond does need to rely on MI6 from time to time. ;)

I think he's relied on them too often lately.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @X3MSonicX Here's the track names for when there used in other soundtracks.

FRWL: 007 and 007 Takes the Lektor
    TB: Street Chase, 007, Underwater Battle, Death of Largo
    YOLT: Little Nellie.
    DAF: To hell with Blofeld.
    MR: Bond to Rio/Boat Chase.
  • JRRJRR
    I think the history of the films is superb, and the very individual differences between the actors, directors, cast, crew, locations and the era they have been filmed in is everything needed to keep this subject interesting and alive; that is why everyone is on this site debating the issues that hold relevance to them as important; It is all varied and reflects the flexibility of taste.

The things I miss are Sean Connery’s ability to hold his opponents annoyance, even when he seemed to be holding the losing hand, like the whole event was just another game of poker and whatever may be, he would eventually turn the tables back in his favour and ensure having the last laugh.

The relaxed self assured demeanour of Roger Moore who presented James Bond as almost an indestructible agent, who even when dicing with death had this “Well, I am James Bond, so it will all work out, and afterwards there will naturally be some womanising, martini’s and a cigar if the mood takes me”.

Timothy Dalton had what seemed to be a self-destruct button on his career, and he was going to do whatever the situation required even if it went against protocol and at one point he even managed to get his licence revoked.

Piece Brosnan with a hell of lot on the line brought the films back with a bang up to date feel, enjoying the advances the 1990’s technology and gave James Bond a new empathy with audiences.

Daniel Craig is the modern day James Bond, with the films going head-to-head with offerings like “The Bourne Identity” the Bond films came under pressure to return to their roots and illustrate the tougher and uncompromising reality that the espionage world is subject to.

Some things you miss, but it can be appreciated that something new and different will carry Bond into areas of future anticipation and therefore debate.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 14,826
    Murdock wrote:

Oh I want to hear that in a Bond movie once again!
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 2,015
    chrisisall wrote:
    Hand drawn/painted for $5k or photoshopped for $200?
    Do the math, everyone else is.
    Bye bye art.
    That's one of the taboo subject of movies today. The reason SF's poster is a photo of Craig alone may well be that his agent put such a thing in the contract (as with many other movies, agents ask that a lot so their cash cows are being shown everywhere and gain even more popularity - so most movie posters are now promoting the actor(s) instead of the movie)

• edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    The reason SF's poster is a photo of Craig alone may well be that his agent put such a thing in the contract (as with many other movies, agents ask that a lot so their cash cows are being shown everywhere and gain even more popularity - so most movie posters are now promoting the actor(s) instead of the movie)

Uh oh, the fanboys aren't going to like this post. I can see it now.

"Daniel is a great guy who doesn't care about fame, he wouldn't let his agent put something like that in a contract! You don't know what you're talking about! I'm sure he loves the old posters too!"

PS: This is meant in jest and not aimed to anyone.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, Craig probably does love the old posters and I wouldn't put it past him to not want that kind of solo celebrity spotlight. But hey, my name isn't @GermanLady, so don't jump on me with a rabidly foaming snarl, okay? (not meaning you in particular, @thelivingroyale ... others always have their knives handy it seems) :D

I think, seriously, that it would be a shame if posters were slicked together only due to cheaper methods. Hadn't thought about it before. I do love the older posters.
  • samainsysamainsy Suspended
    A joke or funny line or something.
    An all out battle at the end of the movie!