What do you miss about Bond, that the older ones have and the new ones don't?

Comments

I really like what EON is doing with the current films - exploring Bond's personality, showing some vulnerability, but I miss going on classic adventures.

M hands Bond a file, Bond completes the mission. End.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Wow, Sorry @Brady and @WizardOfIce. I really thought that i could speak for us, but that was not bad intentional. I was guessing that many Bond fans like you and me (even tho i'm still new to the series) were missing Bond that much. As i've said before, I like Craig's Bond, but i'd like to see the classic Bond back again.
  • The huge success of Bond has been due to the fact that he is larger than life and the audience feel happy whenever Bond achieves or triumphs on the screen, be it girls or gadgets or his mission hurdles with again larger than life villains and femme fatale, as these things can not be done by us in real life. Bond fans get irked when unnecessary sentiments are infused in the story line that is purely intended to be an escapist entertainment. There is no scope for 'oscar winning' emotional portrayal by bond! A Bond movie is a shear entertainer and not a tear jerker. But it seems that the present day Bond depiction is aimed at making the audience to weep with tears so that Bond will be made a real life character than a reel life one! I still remember the scene where Connery/Bond just looks unbelievably at the gold painted dead girl on his bed but the next moment he resumes his spy duty without sentiment. In the name of sentiment if this character is made to emote then it will be an overacting and not a true Bond characterization. The Gun barrel sequence symbolizes that we watch a Bond film. Same way the pre-title sequence, interactions of Bond with M, Q and Money Penny. A Bond viewer also expects the introduction of new equipment and updation of his car.... chases and fist fights... gunshots at appropriate situations.... In Skyfall the pretitle sequence was really a predictable and boring item though it has been shown with fast editing.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 581

The plot of the villain in QOS was brilliant.[/quote]

misc-are-you-fucking-kidding-me-clean-l.png
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    002 wrote:
    The plot of the villain in QOS was brilliant.

misc-are-you-fucking-kidding-me-clean-l.png[/quote]

Yeah, it was.
    002 wrote:

misc-are-you-fucking-kidding-me-clean-l.png

Yeah, it was.
    [/quote]

Never fail to amuse me, you do not Brady, Woohoo for new Batman game!!!!!!

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Sammm04 wrote:

You're the one in the clown makeup. :O)

Just because it isn't an OTT plan where the villain wants worldwide domination doesn't make Greene's plot bad. It is very clever and fits well with our real world off the screen and is quite timely.
    Sammm04 wrote:

Just because it isn't an OTT plan where the villain wants worldwide domination doesn't make Greene's plot bad. It is very clever and fits well with our real world off the screen and is quite timely.

Hmmmm?, Understand you do not, average, yes, but brilliant and clever it was not, fit with our current world, rather have seen Richard Branson saying "No Mr Bond, I expect you to fly!" (Stolen from a fan poster.), Bond series, stooped with excitement, exciting, his plot was not.... Film critic Yoda AWAY!!!!!!

edited April 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

Hmmmm?, Understand you do not, average, yes, but brilliant and clever it was not, fit with our current world, rather have seen Richard Branson saying "No Mr Bond, I expect you to fly!" (Stolen from a fan poster.), Bond series, stooped with excitement, exciting, his plot was not.... Film critic Yoda AWAY!!!!!!

I feel like there needs to be classes nowadays to teach people that their individual opinions are not fact.

I don't really see many of the villains' plots as "exciting" per se, because it is what Bond and them do to kill each other that is the exciting part. There isn't anything exciting about a bunch of people (some with god complexes) that always get foiled by Bond while trying to fulfill some lunatic scheme, especially when they are endangering innocents along the way, which I see as more motivation to root for Bond to stop them.
    I can't really say there is a lot I miss to be honest. I suppose I SHOULD say Bond smoking but as a non-smoker myself I've never been all that bothered about the absense of a cigarette in 007's hand. It's not that I have strong feelings against it - I just don't really care :-S

Maybe a gunbarrell at the beginning would be nice for the next film.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Thanks for the compliment... but Greene's plan actually was pretty clever and remains relevant today. Still, no Bond film can top the brilliance of FRWL, IMO.
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

I feel like there needs to be classes nowadays to teach people that their individual opinions are not fact.

I don't really see many of the villains' plots as "exciting" per se, because it is what Bond and them do to kill each other that is the exciting part. There isn't anything exciting about a bunch of people (some with god complexes) that always get foiled by Bond while trying to fulfill some lunatic scheme, especially when they are endangering innocents along the way, which I see as more motivation to root for Bond to stop them.

Say my opinion was right, I did not, think I do, not exciting it is to see JB chase cave full of water, hmmm?, older villains plot's silly, maybe?, predictable, yes, but exciting to stop they were, Bond actually has adventure in old films, in new ones, trance around in one (usually boring) country, chasing after corrupt policemen and silly Dominic Greene types, prefer plot to send Bond on globetrotting adventure, not Jason Bourne style revenge story about water and a boring, barren desert country. Why I hate QOS, that is.

QBranch wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Thanks for the compliment... but Greene's plan actually was pretty clever and remains relevant today. Still, no Bond film can top the brilliance of FRWL, IMO.

So it was you who made that poster, made me laugh more than any other poster, it was brilliant.
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

Say my opinion was right, I did not, think I do, not exciting it is to see JB chase cave full of water, hmmm?, older villains plot's silly, maybe?, predictable, yes, but exciting to stop they were, Bond actually has adventure in old films, in new ones, trance around in one (usually boring) country, chasing after corrupt policemen and silly Dominic Greene types, prefer plot to send Bond on globetrotting adventure, not Jason Bourne style revenge story about water and a boring, barren desert country. Why I hate QOS, that is.
    QoS isn't a revenge film, it is more like an anti-revenge film; you might want to give it a re-watch. Before you criticize the film, know what it is trying to be first.
    QoB is a movie with lots of promises and yet fails to deliver them all, visually it is a terrible copy of any Bourne movies with Matt Damon. The stunts in this movie often make no sense and are hidden by ADHD editing that are meant to cover up their poor execution or even logic. All actionstunt have been done better in previous Bondmovies or other movies, as such it is a very unoriginal movie that adds little to the lore. The director is a pretentious snob, probably what Craig liked about his work (and it is actually better than anything he has done at the reigns of this 007 movie.).

However the fans of DC want desperately that you see the genius of this movie and if you do not you will be told it is your lack of understanding of movies. It is actaully just a desperate attempt to disguise the fact that as an actioner it is really subpar and cannot compete with the previous Bondmovies or even the competition and they did not really have to make any effort. The movie contains a few moments that are really impressive and are just so noticable because most of the movie is just dire. However both Dench and Craig are great in this movie but even they cannot save the disaster it is.

Like it or do not like it that is your own judgement. But let nobody convince you it is a great movie, it could have been with a better director, a finished script and better CGI and stunts. Most importantly explain the role of Mathis better and do not waste such a character created by Fleming on such a flimsy attempt of showing who 007 really is. The part of Mathis should have been the European version of Felix Leiter but sadly EON lacks inspiration these days and most dramatic aspects of the movie are rather hamfisted and over the top and serve little.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    SaintMark wrote:
    EON lacks inspiration these days and most dramatic aspects of the movie are rather hamfisted and over the top and serve little.
    Wait, are you talking about Skyfall now? You were on QOS weren't you?
    *confused*
    002 wrote:

misc-are-you-fucking-kidding-me-clean-l.png[/quote]

Anything intelligent to say?
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

I guess you must find Chinatown and Once Upon a Time in the West really unexciting and dumb. I personally find them brilliant. Because hey, they are. And guess what? The villains have pretty much the same idea as Dominic Greene. Becoming rich and powerful (or richer and powerfuller?) with... water. I kid you not. And it made them greedy enough to kill, corrupt officials, what have you.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

I guess you must find Chinatown and Once Upon a Time in the West really unexciting and dumb. I personally find them brilliant. Because hey, they are. And guess what? The villains have pretty much the same idea as Dominic Greene. Becoming rich and powerful (or richer and powerfuller?) with... water. I kid you not. And it made them greedy enough to kill, corrupt officials, what have you.

Please do not compare Chinatown and QoS. Chinatown is a masterpiece.
    RC7 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

Well, of course QOS is not exactly in the same league, but it has the same plot! That's my point. The villain has the same scheme. So you can criticize QOS all you want, I like it and I can recognize it has its share of flaws, but saying the villain's scheme is bad, if you think Chinatown is a masterpiece, is dishonest.
    RC7 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

Yeah, I think somew
    Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

Well, of course QOS is not exactly in the same league, but it has the same plot! That's my point. The villain has the same scheme. So you can criticize QOS all you want, I like it and I can recognize it has its share of flaws, but saying the villain's scheme is bad, if you think Chinatown is a masterpiece, is dishonest.

Yes, but it is a carbon copy of Chinatown's plot, which makes it boring and also it does not fit a Bond film. So we have a right to dislike the plot in the context we are talking in.
  • RC7RC7
    @Ludovico Oh I didn't say it was bad, someone else did. In context I don't like it in the movie though, it's something that is integral to Chinatown but a mere McGuffin in QoS. I don't think 'realism' is justification, so called 'realism' is a passing fad of blockbuster films. I just want something interesting from a narrative, it could be about four blokes trapping ghosts in New York, if it's done with verve, I'll buy it.
    Sammm4, it is basically the same plot as Chinatown, not a carbon copy, the modus operandi and settings are different. The villains are too. And you did NOT complain before that it was a copy of any plot, but that it was boring and I think stupid per se. Of course the context is different, you can say the execution in QOS was poor (I don't think so, but we can argue about it). When I say the villain's scheme is brilliant, I mean the idea is indeed intrinsically brilliant.

@RC7-The bomb in TB and the Lektor in FRWL are McGuffen. Nobody complained. I am not saying QOS is as good. I say the villain's scheme is darn intelligent, large-scale enough for a Bond movie and yes plausible.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote:
    @RC7-The bomb in TB and the Lektor in FRWL are McGuffen. Nobody complained. I am not saying QOS is as good. I say the villain's scheme is darn intelligent, large-scale enough for a Bond movie and yes plausible.

I'm not complaining about McGuffins, I'm just suggesting your comparison with Chinatown doesn't really stand up. The man on the street could go and copy the plot of Jaws, it doesn't mean it would be any good, especially if it's copied in part and placed among other various story strands. The idea of manipulating resources is not necessarily clever in itself, just a reflection of corporate capitalism. It's an interesting idea at it's heart but the way it's dealt with seems to remove all the potential. As I've said on numerous occasions I feel QoS suffers because it doesn't really know what kind of a film it's supposed to be, nor does it really know what story it's trying to tell. It weaves several narrative strands but never quite establishes itself as a direct sequel, or a standalone adventure, effectively falling between two stools.

RC7 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I'm not complaining about McGuffins, I'm just suggesting your comparison with Chinatown doesn't really stand up. The man on the street could go and copy the plot of Jaws, it doesn't mean it would be any good, especially if it's copied in part and placed among other various story strands. The idea of manipulating resources is not necessarily clever in itself, just a reflection of corporate capitalism. It's an interesting idea at it's heart but the way it's dealt with seems to remove all the potential. As I've said on numerous occasions I feel QoS suffers because it doesn't really know what kind of a film it's supposed to be, nor does it really know what story it's trying to tell. It weaves several narrative strands but never quite establishes itself as a direct sequel, or a standalone adventure, effectively falling between two stools.

Oh you can complain about the execution of QOS and as I said the movie does has its flaws, among them a lack of focus. My main point was that some people here, not you, are dismissive about the scheme in itself, saying it is dumb or uninteresting because it is water and not gold, or diamonds, or petrol. They have a problem because it is water. This is what I object against. Because that very specific part of QoS is brilliant. If it was brilliant in One Upon a Time in the West (where it is also a MacGuffin), in Chinatown, in Jean de Florette, it might not be such a foolish scheme in QOS.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 3,494
    I never thought the water idea was bad either, far from it. I always thought those who did probably never went without it long enough to understand it's more valuable than gold, diamonds, and petrol in human survival terms.

That said, as RC7 mentions there are several story lines also weaving their way through the course of the movie that tend to distract you. The focus of the film is multi-faceted like that. Past understanding what Greene was trying to accomplish, and how many gazillions in money QUANTUM could make if they monopolized water in a much larger country, it may come down to exactly WHAT one is looking for in the movie. Perhaps the reason I enjoy it better than at least 6 other films in the series is because I wanted to see the immediate stories coming out of CR addressed, being Vesper's death and how Bond deals with it, and who this new worldwide criminal organization is. I got just enough of that and enough loose ends to make me think when QUANTUM will resurface, what their ultimate goal is, and hopefully a person in charge. Let's hope this opportunity is much more thought out than what we got with QOS.
    I never thought the water idea was bad either, far from it. I always thought those who did probably never went without it long enough to understand it's more valuable than gold, diamonds, and petrol in human survival terms.

Precisely. And when you control resources (especially things we desperately need like water) you control the people living under your rule. In many ways Greene's/Quantum's plot is one of the most clever and brilliant in conception that we have seen in any Bond film.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I think the problem with the water plot is that it never seemed like that big a deal.

Some evil plans before might've been ridiculous but there was a sense of urgency involved. You did get the sense that everything would go to sh*t if Bond didn't save the day.

In QOS it was a bit underwhelming. It didn't feel particularly important. It wasn't "we have to stop Greene before it's too late! He's stealing the water!"

Instead it was "well I'm looking into the whole Quantum thing because of Vesper and you want to kill Medrano so yeah, why not. We may as well stop his evil plan while we're at it".

I think QOS should've focused on one thing or the other. It was a short movie and lots of the runtime was filled with action sequences anyway, it didn't really have time to have so many plot threads.

You had Bond and M's trust issues, Camille's revenge, Bond getting over Vesper, Felix's loyalty to the CIA being tested and Quantum taking over Bolivia's water. And when half of the movie is filled with badly edited chase sequences anyway you just don't have the time for all of this.

I think because of this most of the story threads feel a bit, lets say undercooked, because nothing is really focused on.
    I think the problem with the water plot is that it never seemed like that big a deal.

Some evil plans before might've been ridiculous but there was a sense of urgency involved. You did get the sense that everything would go to sh*t if Bond didn't save the day.

In QOS it was a bit underwhelming. It didn't feel particularly important. It wasn't "we have to stop Greene before it's too late! He's stealing the water!"

Instead it was "well I'm looking into the whole Quantum thing because of Vesper and you want to kill Medrano so yeah, why not. We may as well stop his evil plan while we're at it".

I think QOS should've focused on one thing or the other. It was a short movie and lots of the runtime was filled with action sequences anyway, it didn't really have time to have so many plot threads.

Well actually, the mission from jump was about stopping/getting to the bottom of Quantum after White escapes and MI6 examined the cash Mitchell had that led them on the trail of Slate and then Greene. Vesper is never once a focus of Bond's while doing the mission and not once affects what he does in that mission until it is all over and he meets Yusef at the end. Everything that happens in between the beginning and end is Bond uncovering more of what he already thinks is suspicious activity by Greene and the more he knows about Greene's plot the more he gets involved and finds it is his mission to stop it. It isn't just because he was in that part of town, and never is with Bond; it was his mission and he was dedicated to it along with Camille and her vendetta.
  • Well, if Mr. Logan is reading, what I'd like to see next other than some normal and good things such the opening gun barrel, DA back in the chair, and Bond in bed with the main babe in the end (yes I miss some of my cliches), is to see a good old fashioned meeting of QUANTUM in a less public setting, with someone in undeniable control, more than just a Greene chairing a meeting and pushing his agenda. We need someone oozing power and evil like Savalas' ESB to really root against and invest in.