"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

RC7 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Can you enjoy it in an ironic sense? (i.e. laugh at it - in the same way I do with Batman and Robin).

I would think so. Although there are a few members on here, who from the sound of it would go totally Oscar Pistorius if they ever saw a frame of it again.

Ouch #-o

I'm staying away from this *backs away*
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    @Wizard @RC7 @Bain thankyou for brightening up my day

:))

regarding awful moments in DAD , has anyone noticed how american Pierce sounds when he says to jinx something about "going down to together" ? erghhhh
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,189
    DCisared wrote:

regarding awful moments in DAD , has anyone noticed how american Pierce sounds when he says to jinx something about "going down to together" ? erghhhh

Ha, Yes..."nat yet!"

He has that Irish/American twang at times in all his movies
    BAIN123 wrote:
    DCisared wrote:

Ha, Yes..."nat yet!"

He has that Irish/American twang at times in all his movies

it should deffo be a requirement for future 007's accents to be
    A) consistent and B) non yank

i like pierce but i do tend to cringe more when watching his films more than i do when watching another bond.
    i always laugh when he says to M in DAD "so im going arrfter him" about zao.
    i do enjoy his "forgot to knock " line from goldeneye thou .....
  • hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    edited February 2013 Posts: 290
    I think it gets too much of a hard time... I think it's ok.

I certainly don't find it offensively bad.

I would love to watch it again as I haven't seen it since it came out :)
    hoppimike wrote:

it hasn't aged well mate
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    DAD is a pos movie and the final nail in the coffin to completely turn the Bond series into a joke and that's saying something, considering some of Moore's efforts but at least with Moore's movies they were actually fun and insisted on not taking itself too seriously.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    DCisared wrote:
    hoppimike wrote:

it hasn't aged well mate

If that scene had been shot in 1935 you could just about get away with saying 'it hasnt aged well.'

That CGI for the day is embarrassing. Has anyone seen on the DVD extras some Australian (or more probably NZ who was a mate of Tamahoris) bird who was in charge of the CGI saying how well they did it? I really hope shes never worked in film again and has been forced to eke out a living by selling her organs.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Mara Bryan. She only worked on Brosnan's films.
    speaking of dodgy accents ive just remembered the times when daltons yorkshire tones come out :))
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,189
    DCisared wrote:
    speaking of dodgy accents ive just remembered the times when daltons yorkshire tones come out :))

In the past I've referred to that as Daltons 'Coronation Street' voice.

You can also hear Laz's Oz when he s talking to Draco on the phone near the end of OHMSS.

Then of course there's Sean.

Moore and Craig are probably the only ones who have had consistent accents throughout.
    hoppimike wrote:
    I

I think you should but make sure you are strapped to a chair with your arms bound so you cant deliberately knock yourself out.

actonsteve wrote:
    hoppimike wrote:
    I

I think you should but make sure you are strapped to a chair with your arms bound so you cant deliberately knock yourself out.

xD

Tell you what, I'll watch it tomorrow if I get a chance! :)
    Yeah I think it's just... a very long and quite complex film so there is a lot to both like and dislike.

I think fundamentally it means well and is great fun but just got a bit carried away and ended up looking a bit sloppy.

It was also made at a time when CG was all the rage and emo hadn't happened yet lol

Plus we were some way off of the recession.

So yeah I think it gets a hard time but had a good storyline at its core, good characters, good script and music, but just went a bit far. I love how confident it is though, the CG VR simulator is amazing and all that stuff gets my vote (certainly more fun than a "gun and a radio"...).

7.5/10 for me while I give Skyfall more like 5.5 and GE and CR both 10 (and QoS 8).

John Cleese was the best Q IMO :)
    hoppimike wrote:
    Yeah I think it's just... a very long and quite complex film so there is a lot to both like and dislike.

I think fundamentally it means well and is great fun but just got a bit carried away and ended up looking a bit sloppy.

It was also made at a time when CG was all the rage and emo hadn't happened yet lol

Plus we were some way off of the recession.

So yeah I think it gets a hard time but had a good storyline at its core, good characters, good script and music, but just went a bit far. I love how confident it is though, the CG VR simulator is amazing and all that stuff gets my vote (certainly more fun than a "gun and a radio"...).

7.5/10 for me while I give Skyfall more like 5.5 and GE and CR both 10 (and QoS 8).

John Cleese was the best Q IMO :)

I think this may be true to an extent, but also the scene was just badly conceived. It looked totally unbelievable. Even had they used the best of today's CGI it would have been awful.
    "John Cleese was the best Q IMO"

Now common...there is only one true Q

Not knocking Cleese btw who I enjoyed in the part.
    I enjoy the whole movie a lot. Clearly the kitesurfing scene is a bit much, but I'm hoping that in future releases they can upgrade the quality of the cgi like they did with star wars to at lease make it look a bit less cheap.

I remember thinking after seeing it for the first time in cinema that Brosnan finally had the part down pat.

I still watch it regularly and I get more entertainment out of Die Another Day than out of the other Brosnan Bonds or the last four Moore Bonds.

DAD was bad im sorry. The movie didn't even have a plot that made sense. I just feel insulted when I see it. A couple of days ago I watched it on tv and all the actors looked bored, especially Brosnan.
    I didn't mind the para-surfing scene back in 2002 but it looks terrible now. However, I can still enjoy the sequence because of how the Bond fanfare comes in perfectly when it looks like Bond is dead but rides the wave up to a close-up on the screen. To me, it's like the bad rear-projection driving scenes in early Bond movies.

I can enjoy DAD as OTT Bond, and Pierce gives an excellent performance, but nearly all of Jinx's dialogue makes me fast-forward through her scenes.

If special editions of Bond movies are ever done where special effects are cleaned up, the para-sailing scene would be a perfect place to start.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    But, which scene could have been made instead of the para-surfing scene? It is THAT bad for you or the CGI is the problem? (The question is for everyone)
  • DAD has so much to offer but basically loses touch with it's story during the third act. The entire North Korea sequence is superb, and everything is shaping up to be a Bond spectacular, if not the best Bond yet! Don't shoot me, but yes, I actually like Maddona's title song. The Hong Kong scenes are excellent, as is the scene where Pierce walks into a Hotel dripping wet, dressed in a hospital gown. Pure class. Cuba scenes are pure Bond, for the first 40 minutes, you can smell the Flemming, this is a great 40th anniversary film.

Until..

Halle Berry sadly trying to recreate one of the most glamourous images by imitating Ursurla Andress... And then she talks. I really enjoy the rest of the Cuba scenes, and pretty much all the moments which Bond has in London. The Blades sword fight is an excellent sequence, I really feel the tension of both actors. Graves is an excellent villain, it's just a shame he wasn't given better material to work with, same for Pierce. It is the directing that really let's this film down.

I have been a hardcore Bond fan for roughly ten years now, and DAD was the second or third film I saw. I was mesmorised by it. As a 7 year old boy growing up in surburban Australia, I was astonished, inspired, and influenced by this film. Dare I say one of the many little scenes I have a secret love for: The para-surfing scene. It really isn't that bad, when you look at the many outrageous things that have happened in Bond films. Personally though, It was David Arnold's full blown use of the Bond theme which captivated me for that scene. The music really enhances the scene more than the low- par CGI does.

my 2nd least favourite Bond....

but I watched it the other day, was going through a Brosnan/Bond day, and the 1st Half of the film...

...up UNTIL Jinx's appearance (the 1st Bond film ruined by the Bond Girl??) and the Cuban clinic (where the film suddenly goes MAD and gets worse as it continues)...

....is absolutely superb, I was really into it, the North Korean stuff, Bond escaping to HK, and the early Cuban scenes was some of Brosnan's best stuff as Bond (I've always thought this was his finest turn as Bond, totally at home in the role...and totally wasted in the 2nd half of the flik!!).....

A film of two halfs...one awesome....the other....WTF!!!
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 4,622
    I can relate to the Wizard's original post, some 23 pages back.
    ie the film does have it's moments. There are parts of this movie that I do really enjoy. I like the Cuba interlude, the duelling Jag and Aston Martin car battle, most everything that goes down at the ice palace. However I don't like the way the film ends. It's almost too much and with way too much CGI. I don't like the robo-cop suit, even it does fit with what's happening.
    I think the sum of DAD is not as good as some of its parts. When the film ends, I am somewhat exhausted. It's almost too much OTT action, when all is said and done.
    A middle-aged Bond as surfer dude, was pushing the boundaries of believability even within the context of Bond. Bond we know is a skier, but a world-class surfer too!?
    I think there is way too much spectacular action jammed into one film; the expert surfing of giant waves just to land on a beach seemed rather like overkill, or more to the point, just an excuse to jam in a surfing scene.
    Heads up for all you DAD fans, i'm sure there are many!

Just seen the DVD of this for sale in 99p Stores, for you guessed it 99p! Get it while stocks last!

I did resist the urge but now I'm thinking maybe I should have nabbed it.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    @identigraph

well, that depresses me, a little bit. No Bond movie should be in a 99p bargain bin.

It just shows how much DVD's have gone down in value. Alas
    royale65 wrote:
    @identigraph

well, that depresses me, a little bit. No Bond movie should be in a 99p bargain bin.

It is how I got QoB and even then I doubt I got value for my 99 cents. ;)

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SaintMark wrote:
    royale65 wrote:
    @identigraph

I wonder if they give out DAF and DAD for free?
    SaintMark wrote:
    royale65 wrote:
    @identigraph

If you read before comment than you would have read about DAD costing 99p which is not free.

But to be honest I have seen all 007 dvd's in bargainbaskets, and then the 1st version not the Last edition on dvd but the SE's which are hard to sell nowadays with the Ultimate editions around and the Bluray versions.

• edited May 2013 Posts: 3,494
    SaintMark wrote:
    royale65 wrote:
    @identigraph

The latter they should. If QOS is worth 99 cents, DAD is worth even less. Although DAD is still worth more than NSNA and the bogus CR's of 1954 and 1967 combined.