How did Silva recruit so many henchman in the Metropolitan Police

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Anon wrote:
    On Sunday...

By Monday...
    That video was pathetic. Looks like whoever made it needs to examine Skyfall a lot more closely. I know it's main aim is to be amusing, but it even fails at that.

I like a man who knows when he's beaten.

I can't use magic powers to close the thread, and if it stays open I will comment in it. Problems? Care to actually join the thread in relevant discussion instead of running your mouth about me?
    I can't use magic powers to close the thread, and if it stays open I will comment in it. Problems? Care to actually join the thread in relevant discussion instead of running your mouth about me?

Just a little dig - you do a lot of 'this thread shouldn't exist - go here instead' posts and I found it amusing that you'd given up and joined in. It was meant in jest - sorry you took offence.
  • CIACIA
    By no means is this thread an attack on Skyfall or to point out the plot holes.

It may not have been explained in the movie, but I believed Silva may have had a man on the inside of MI6 that helped with his escape. So why not have men in the Met Police?

What other thing, when Judi Dench's car is stopped by the police on the way back to MI6, do you think those may have also been Silva's men to ensure that Dench was in the perfect spot to watch MI6 blow up? Why else did they stop her??
  • CIACIA
    Sorry for the strange words appearing out of context. I'm using a tablet to post and sometimes it has a mind of its own. Last paragraph should read "one other thing..."
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Anon wrote:

Just a little dig - you do a lot of 'this thread shouldn't exist - go here instead' posts and I found it amusing that you'd given up and joined in. It was meant in jest - sorry you took offence.

I never say they shouldn't exist. If we have a thread exactly the same as others, why clutter the place up when one thread suffices? Instead of ten threads all around the place we have one nice and organized spot we can all easily bookmark and comment in without wondering in which of the ten duplicate threads we posted an argument or where a comment you wanted to quote was. It may seem annoying to you, but in the long run it saves a lot of frustration for all of us. But again, I barely see you around here anyway, if at all most times, so it isn't a thorn in my side.
  • CIACIA
    ^ You sound OCD. Please don't derail my thread.
    CIA wrote:

Yes, sire. Apologies, oh wise one. Don't act like you know me, old chap.

I think I have earned a nice respite from here for a while.
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2013 Posts: 10,512
    CIA wrote:

It may not have been explained in the movie, but I believed Silva may have had a man on the inside of MI6 that helped with his escape. So why not have men in the Met Police?

What other thing, when Judi Dench's car is stopped by the police on the way back to MI6, do you think those may have also been Silva's men to ensure that Dench was in the perfect spot to watch MI6 blow up? Why else did they stop her??

The thing is, none of this was thought through, if you asked P+W they could probably give you a rough idea but nothing concrete. They certainly didn't logically plot out the details, they admitted as much on their empire podcast. To be honest, some of it is self explanatory, and several moments that aren't don't really matter, but there are instances and moments of ridiculous coincidence that shatter any suspension of disbelief for some viewers, including myself. Silva's escape comes straight out of leftfield. We've gone from a character drama to an action scene that is plotted as if it's in a late 80's action film, with total disregard for any reasonable logic. It's not even cleverly OTT.
  • CIACIA
    CIA wrote:

Apologies as well. Lets burry the hatchet :)

CIA wrote:
    CIA wrote:

Apologies as well. Lets burry the hatchet :)

Oh, alright... ;)
    CIA wrote:

I completely agree. Man, some people in here are just plain negative, saying that it was sheer laziness to cast Javier Bardem is truly bullocks if you ask me.
    CIA wrote:

I completely agree. Man, some people in here are just plain negative, saying that it was sheer laziness to cast Javier Bardem is truly bullocks if you ask me.
    Maybe Silva hacked the traffic lights to pack up cars to get M to see MI6 blow? Who knows so sure, but I will have to watch that scene again.
    RC7 wrote:
    CIA wrote:

The thing is, none of this was thought through, if you asked P+W they could probably give you a rough idea but nothing concrete. They certainly didn't logically plot out the details, they admitted as much on their empire podcast. To be honest, some of it is self explanatory, and several moments that aren't don't really matter, but there are instances and moments of ridiculous coincidence that shatter any suspension of disbelief for some viewers, including myself. Silva's escape comes straight out of leftfield. We've gone from a character drama to an action scene that is plotted as if it's in a late 80's action film, with total disregard for any reasonable logic. It's not even cleverly OTT.

Exactly
  • I don't get how they knew he was going to be there at that tube station at that exact time....another skyfall gaff...style over substance despite the grown up chit chat...not Bond's finest outing.
    I don't get how they knew he was going to be there at that tube station at that exact time....another skyfall gaff...style over substance despite the grown up chit chat...not Bond's finest outing.

The theory is that Silva had an escape route all planned out in advance and leads Bond on a merry dance towards the spot where he explodes the tunnel. Way too contrived for my liking.
    I don't get how they knew he was going to be there at that tube station at that exact time....another skyfall gaff...style over substance despite the grown up chit chat...not Bond's finest outing.

Grown up chitchat? How old are you?

Silvas plan is not as convoluted as kronsteens or orlovs for that matter. Bond villains have moriaty like plans
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,015
    RC7 wrote:
    Really? You think it was an active decision? I don't think it was at all. I think it was laziness. I think we can all agree that the mechanics of his escape (amongst other things) were wildly at odds with the supposedly grounded nature of the movie.

I think it was an active decision to make Silva "another Bond" (ie : another "son" of M, betrayed by her, while the other one, 007, stays faithful). Maybe the fact that Silva is not shown on film actually escaping (killing the first trained guards) is because it would have been too much "Bond like" though to see him display high combat skills.

Note I'm not making any joke about blonde hair :)

• actonsteve wrote:

Silvas plan is not as convoluted as kronsteens or orlovs for that matter. Bond villains have moriaty like plans

Just trying to explore the plot holes in sf and in your mind bradybunch follower.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    actonsteve wrote:

Just trying to explore the plot holes in sf and in your mind bradybunch follower.

It is at least nice to see you talking about Bond. Usually I am under the impression that you are some kind of mild sleeper troll only here to stir some pots every now and then. Of course, that is when you aren't shoving your religious beliefs down our throats and telling us we are going to hell.
    actonsteve wrote:

Nothing like being antagonistic for no reason. 8-|

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    Really? You think it was an active decision? I don't think it was at all. I think it was laziness. I think we can all agree that the mechanics of his escape (amongst other things) were wildly at odds with the supposedly grounded nature of the movie.

I think it was an active decision to make Silva "another Bond" (ie : another "son" of M, betrayed by her, while the other one, 007, stays faithful). Maybe the fact that Silva is not shown on film actually escaping (killing the first trained guards) is because it would have been too much "Bond like" though to see him display high combat skills.

Note I'm not making any joke about blonde hair :)

If the intention was to make Silva Bond's equal then it would have made logical sense to show a mirror image in action, in that case the opposite of what you say. Either way, the entire escape scene is completely comic book. You'd struggle to buy it in a Moore, in a Craig it's just obscure.
  • RC7 wrote:
    If the intention was to make Silva Bond's equal

No, rather an unbrotherly brother. Mendes loves Shakespeare !
  • actonsteve wrote:

It is at least nice to see you talking about Bond. Usually I am under the impression that you are some kind of mild sleeper troll only here to stir some pots every now and then. Of course, that is when you aren't shoving your religious beliefs down our throats and telling us we are going to hell.

Do u really think that my views on certain subjects are anything else but tongue in cheek? Ur daft.

I do contribute a lot of Bond stories and news as u well know.

Stop hassling new members here with ur over bearing jimmy savile style of courtship.

actonsteve wrote:

Do u really think that my views on certain subjects are anything else but tongue in cheek? Ur daft.

Stop hassling new members here with ur over bearing jimmy savile style of courtship.
    New member? You've been here longer than I have, though you don't act like it. I'll stopd "hassling" when you stop. And if you are going to attack me, be clever about it or stop hiding behind your monitor.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Getafix wrote:

The theory is that Silva had an escape route all planned out in advance and leads Bond on a merry dance towards the spot where he explodes the tunnel. Way too contrived for my liking.

It is all bullshit frankly.

Silva takes out two supposedly armed guards (one of which is not even in the f**king room). If either of them are even vaguely doing their job they just drill him in the head.

If theres no train for him to get on already at the platform Bond strolls up and drills him in the head before anyoneq can say 'mind the gap'.

Silva is running through a busy tube station with Bond about 10 metres behind him. All it needs is some idiot tourist to walk across his path and he bumps into them and falls over and Bond strolls up and drills him in the head.

He lets Bond catch up with him who gets off 3 or 4 shots any one of which could drill him in the head (but of course the script addresses this one by showing that Bonds aim is off in a previous scene)
    What sort of planning leaves to chance such an array of variables and leaves you with so many opportunities to get drilled in the head?

SF is great Bond film for the most part but anyone who doesn't think Silvas plan is not a crock of shit really needs to be forced to go on a basic screenwriting course.
    actonsteve wrote:

New member? You've been here longer than I have, though you don't act like it. I'll stopd "hassling" when you stop. And if you are going to attack me, be clever about it or stop hiding behind your monitor.

Get a room fellas.
    @TheWizardOfIce, when Bond is shooting at Silva on the ladder, he isn't missing from his bad aim. He openly says "my next shot won't miss." He wasn't trying to hit him to kill him at all, only detain him. Bond's aim is fixed when he removes the bullet fragments in his shoulder, the true cause of why his shooting was off. Before one criticizes a scene one must first know what is going on and why.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    @TheWizardOfIce, when Bond is shooting at Silva on the ladder, he isn't missing from his bad aim. He openly says "my next shot won't miss." He wasn't trying to hit him to kill him at all, only detain him. Bond's aim is fixed when he removes the bullet fragments in his shoulder, the true cause of why his shooting was off. Before one criticizes a scene one must first know what is going on and why.

Even Scaramanga would struggle to hit the rung of a ladder thrice in succession after running at full pelt for 2 minutes. If Bond's trying to miss why not shoot ten feet above his head rather than right at him and rely on his accuracy to hit a one inch wide target?

And why is he even trying to miss? The guy is almost up the ladder and away. At the very least he should be hitting his kneecaps but in my book at that point his job should be to stop pissing about and just take him down.

But please feel free to formulate some other theories to address the rest of my points. I always feel the mark of a good script is where after watching the film one has to spend hours coming up with convoluted hypotheses as to why something happened which the scriptwriters simply couldn't be bothered to explain.
    @forgotmyusername I thought you liked SF?
    SF is great Bond film for the most part but anyone who doesn't think Silvas plan is not a crock of shit really needs to be forced to go on a basic screenwriting course.

I've been saying this since day one. Skyfall is a very good Bond film but the story, especially Silva's plan, is dodgy to say the least. I think it's a poor story surrounded by great dialouge, acting, cinematography, etc. And all those things elevate the film above average.

I think the problem is SF is very character focused. It focuses on Bond and M almost entirely and the story suffers a bit for it imo.
    I never say they shouldn't exist.

Pretty obvious that it's implicit in your attempt to direct people to alternative pre-existing threads that you take the view that the new thread shouldn't have been started.
    If we have a thread exactly the same as others, why clutter the place up when one thread suffices?

Perhaps one thread doesn't suffice. Some of those 'exactly the same' threads have hundreds of posts in them. A new member doesn't want to have to wade through all that before knowing whether his/her point has been made a year ago already - and then have it lost on page 94. Let them start a new one and get some fresh opinions from new members flowing.
    Instead of ten threads all around the place we have one nice and organized spot we can all easily bookmark and comment in without wondering in which of the ten duplicate threads we posted an argument or where a comment you wanted to quote was. It may seem annoying to you, but in the long run it saves a lot of frustration for all of us.

By 'for all of us' you mean for long standing members who've said their bit once and don't want to have to repeat it? Corralling people into ever longer, ever ageing threads is a recipe for stagnation.
    But again, I barely see you around here anyway, if at all most times, so it isn't a thorn in my side.

Quantity is not the same as quality. Amigo.
  • @forgotmyusername I thought you liked SF?

I've been saying this since day one. Skyfall is a very good Bond film but the story, especially Silva's plan, is dodgy to say the least. I think it's a poor story surrounded by great dialouge, acting, cinematography, etc. And all those things elevate the film above average.

I think the problem is SF is very character focused. It focuses on Bond and M almost entirely and the story suffers a bit for it imo.

Very much agree. Skyfall is very character focused and really succeeds. It's a great film but is flawed with plot holes. Was it lazy writing in parts or edited to ignore over wise satisfactory explanations?
This discussion has been closed.