"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Beast wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Chang wrote:
    DAD is one those movies that is so bad...it's good.

I agree in part. It does have a bit of a "guilty pleasure" quality to it.

If anyone gets any pleasure out of THAT, then they should only feel guilt.

Hey hey hey, it's not completely awful, Brady! It is still a Bond movie! And one loads with good action, at that! There's a high point! The action is worth its watch!

I am obviously being dramatic, but I also don't come to Bond for action. Just because a film has great action doesn't make it good. Many films in this series have shown that. :)
    00Beast wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Chang wrote:

Hey hey hey, it's not completely awful, Brady! It is still a Bond movie! And one loads with good action, at that! There's a high point! The action is worth its watch!

I am obviously being dramatic, but I also don't come to Bond for action. Just because a film has great action doesn't make it good. Many films in this series have shown that. :)

Hey Brady how is it that when it comes to a QoS appriciation thread you can accuse somebody of needing a potty training when he disagrees with you, but you have the habit of entering other threads with subjects you disagree with with a similar disagreeing output. This thread is called DAD is pretty good, not DAD should be called bad. But then again there is always some sort of agenda when there is a thread involved with Brosnan's output.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SaintMark wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Chang wrote:

Hey Brady how is it that when it comes to a QoS appriciation thread you can accuse somebody of needing a potty training when he disagrees with you, but you have the habit of entering other threads with subjects you disagree with with a similar disagreeing output. This thread is called DAD is pretty good, not DAD should be called bad. But then again there is always some sort of agenda when there is a thread involved with Brosnan's output.

I'm not. Someone directly replied to me and I retorted. Sue me. I have said plenty of nice things about DAD in the past, so don't act like I am some vindictive scum to it all the time.
    SaintMark wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Chang wrote:

I'm not. Someone directly replied to me and I retorted. Sue me. I have said plenty of nice things about DAD in the past, so don't act like I am some vindictive scum to it all the time.

I do not condiser you as vindictive scum as you called yourself, I would never call anybody that but you are sometimes rather unforgiving in your opinion towards folks that do not share yours.
    And too be honest I do always read your statements with interest even if I disagree as you have a way of expressing yourself that is often very insightfull.

I find DAD a good movie untill it goes off the rails in the last part of the movie, which has it similarity with CR where the wiser folks from EON chose for an over the top finale instead of using the acting skills of Mr Craig and miss Green. In my view the folks at EON did not exactly chose a whole new direction but were lucky they had a great story to tell from the master Fleming himself. But they almost managed to mess it up with the same mistakes made with DAD.

DAD had some great ideas and the patricide in the finale was wasted in the over the top choice made there, similar to the suicide of Vesper. They took what in my view were potential powerfull moments and lost them in a actionscene that was not exactly needed.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Chang wrote:

I enjoy pretty much the whole film until Jinx first opens her mouth (and there is the odd good scene after that, like the london underground bit with Q and M). And I don't feel gulity at all :P
  • Yo mama...sums it up. DAD was great right up until jinx jumps off the cliff.

And don't get me started on how bad our CIA cousin was....

DAD brought one of PB' s greatest pay off lines as well...just surviving is great Bond wit.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Chang wrote:

I enjoy pretty much the whole film until Jinx first opens her mouth (and there is the odd good scene after that, like the london underground bit with Q and M). And I don't feel gulity at all :P

I concur. There are some good scenes in DAD. On my most recent viewing I remember thinking. This isn't all THAT bad...then they went to Iceland.

I do feel sorry for Brozza in a small way. Even he rolls his eyes at Halle Berry's thrust quip.
  • I sometimes just watch Die Another Day up until Iceland then switch it off. Some dodgy bits but overall pretty good and really fast paced and enjoyable. It makes the film seem much better.
    Yo mama...sums it up. DAD was great right up until jinx jumps off the cliff

I would go further back than that and say it's when Jinx first starts talking, but thinking about it now I liked the bit at the clinic (love it the wheelchair gag and the fight with Zao wasn't terrible), so I'll agree with you.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I sometimes just watch Die Another Day up until Iceland then switch it off. Some dodgy bits but overall pretty good and really fast paced and enjoyable. It makes the film seem much better.

I would go further back than that and say it's when Jinx first starts talking, but thinking about it now I liked the bit at the clinic (love it the wheelchair gag and the fight with Zao wasn't terrible), so I'll agree with you.

There's some iffy bits all the way through but Iceland is the part that really kills the film. Up until then, despite some bad stuff, I still think its salvagable and...dare I say...watchable.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    @SaintMark, I completely agree. My biggest gripe with CR is probably the fact that we got the Venice action sequence instead of a scene with Bond finding Vesper dead with her suicide note. Dan would have sold that scene so well, and though it is amazingly painful to watch him try to bring Vesper back to life atop the collapsed Venice building, I would have loved even more to see a montage of Bond finding Vesper and breaking down while we hear his voice reading her note in the background.

And I am being overly dramatic about calling DAD crap, everyone. It was just one of those days where I felt like punching it into the ground, though it does have its merits. I concur with the rest of you: The ship sinks when Jinx comes aboard, the glacier that it collides with, beginning its tragic descent into a cold death, if you will.
  • OligarchOligarch Banned
    Although the movie IMO was utter rubbish. I did quite enjoy the beginning, It was awesome to see Brosnan as Bond stealthily surf upon the island, disguise himself as the diamond seller and cause mayhem afterwards, although the "saved by the bell" scene could have been left out. The prison sequences were great, also I may be in the minority but I loved the DAD title song by Madonna, especially the imagery shown while it played out, including Bond being waterboarded and tortured, very dark and original. Sadly after Bond was released from the North Korean prison the movie slowly became a fantasy land involving poor CGI sequences, lame action, poor writing, invisible cars :/ and just flat out nonsense. It's really ashame because the beginning of DAD was very promising and had very much a sense of realism. I often wonder how the movie took such a drastic turn from subpar reality to utter fantasy. Was Lee Tamori perhaps on drugs while directing? or too busy secretly crossdressing between takes?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I sometimes just watch Die Another Day up until Iceland then switch it off. Some dodgy bits but overall pretty good and really fast paced and enjoyable. It makes the film seem much better.

There's some iffy bits all the way through but Iceland is the part that really kills the film. Up until then, despite some bad stuff, I still think its salvagable and...dare I say...watchable.

I would say its all going very well (I even enjoyed 'saved by the bell' - classic Rog cheesy one liner IMO) until Jinx shows her face. You start to have your fears when she opens her mouth and with the CGI dive you realise not everyone is getting out alive. When they unveil the invisible car you understand Captain Francesco Schettino is at the helm and its going down with all hands.

I always had doubts about Halle Berry but I didn't think she could be that bad but when I heard reports about an invisible car I couldn't believe EON would let that happen.

It's that moment more than any other that made me feel like Chuck Heston in the final scene of Planet of the Apes.
    For me the best bit of Die Another Day comes after Bond knocks out the despicable South African gentleman at the hotel in Cuba.

The exchange of pleasantries with the hooker on the bed is a gem.

Anon wrote:
    For me the best bit of Die Another Day comes after Bond knocks out the despicable South African gentleman at the hotel in Cuba.

The exchange of pleasantries with the hooker on the bed is a gem.

yes that moment was quality gold...
  • Happy to know I'm not the only person who secretly liked Die Another Day.

The story wasn't bad people (and the twist was awesome). The only thing the movie suffered from was excessive action and CGI. If you eliminated that downside (the tidal wave surf, climax in a crashing plane, running from a laser beam coming from the sky), the movie would have been fine.

Not to mention, Graves/Moon is one of my favorite Bond villains of all time. He's highly underrated, IMO.
  • no secret here I like Die Another Day as well. It has it share of missteps but its an entertaining romp.

Best parts
    Surf scene
    Hovercraft chase
    Sword fight
    Havana
    Ice chase

Bad Parts
    Jinx
    pretty much everything on the plane
    the Helicopter scene
    DAD is so bad where you can count the number of good scenes on one hand rather then the bad.

You want me to say something nice?

Well, Pierces' shoes are shiny.
  • Damn it, never thought I'd see this thread again, but in any event, and it's been said for about the 739th time, in that it's an overall poor release, with few redeeming qualities, and Brosnan is simply out of sorts by 2002 and inappropriate for the role of Bond, and most of the characters are instantly forgettable and the theme intro, is something quite unprintable, although I didn't mind too much for the Ciccone cameo. Decent and fun opening with the Korea hovercrafts but it soon degenerates into a boring and lacklustre "adventure", and despite picking up here and there, and Brosnan trying, it simply never gets off the ground and all said, is a very poor and frustrating movie experience. Easily one of - if not the worst - James Bond release as of yet

etc etc etc
    Well, considering someone just admitted that they like the DAD surfing scene, I think it is safe to say that the Apocalypse is upon us.
    meteor_shower_by_web5ter-d4pl7n3.gif
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    no secret here I like Die Another Day as well. It has it share of missteps but its an entertaining romp.

Best parts
    Surf scene
    Hovercraft chase
    Sword fight
    Havana
    Ice chase
    My thoughts exactly- as long as you're referring to the excellent and incredibly dangerous PTS surf scene- and not the infamous parasurfing CGI fest! :)) I would also like to add to that 'best parts' list the abandoned subway station scene.
    Yeah give the bloke the benefit of the doubt; he has to be referring to the PTS surfing (the best real stunt in the film). Anything else would be pure insanity.

Just out of interest is there anyone out there who is not a troll who has the cojones to actually admit they don't mind the parasurfing sequence?
    Yeah give the bloke the benefit of the doubt; he has to be referring to the PTS surfing (the best real stunt in the film). Anything else would be pure insanity.

Just out of interest is there anyone out there who is not a troll who has the cojones to actually admit they don't mind the parasurfing sequence?

Even Pierce laughed at that :))
  • RC7RC7

It's f***ing woeful. But, while I just sigh and think 'Jesus H', I actually get more annoyed with other moments. The thing is, they nailed their colours to the mast when they wrote, designed, planned and then executed the sequence. They couldn't remove it. Which is why I find moments such as 'I'm Mr.Kil' far more infuriating. Surely one person on set could have had the balls to say 'Hey Tamahori, that exchange between Bond and Kil is f***ing abominable'. I'm sure a random crew member who was milling about, or Makoare himself could think of a better line without engaging their brains.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,189
    RC7 wrote:

'Hey Tamahori, that exchange between Bond and Kil is f***ing abominable'.

:)) I just keep thinking of the train crash stock footage Haphazard uses in his review when I imagine those lines. It makes it funnier
    Guys - you are not making it any easier for a CGI parasurfing sequence fan to 'come out'.

Like gays in football - everyone pretends they dont exist but statistically there must be some people out there who like Bond surfing a wave rendered on a ZX Spectrum in front of a green screen. The trouble is the atmosphere of hostility on here prevents people from being able to come out.

My own position is what I would call the 'Daily Mail stance': personally I find the practice of enjoying this scene disgusting but as long as people do it within the confines of their own home and all people watching it are consenting then I suppose they are doing nothing illegal.

Perhaps someone should start marketing those little ribbons for DAD parasurfing fans to wear to show they are out and proud?
    Can you enjoy it in an ironic sense? (i.e. laugh at it - in the same way I do with Batman and Robin).
  • I did mean the opening surf scene. Also I somehow blocked out Mr Kil please put him in the minus column
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2013 Posts: 10,512
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Can you enjoy it in an ironic sense? (i.e. laugh at it - in the same way I do with Batman and Robin).

I would think so. Although there are a few members on here, who from the sound of it would go totally Oscar Pistorius if they ever saw a frame of it again.
    BAIN123 wrote:

No. Youre either with us or against us Bain. Theres no grey area in this instance.
    RC7 wrote:

I would think so. Although there are a few members on here, who from the sound of it would go totally Oscar Pistorius if they ever saw a frame of it again.

Old Oscar's defence does seem a bit thin. I reckon if he said she was a fan of the DAD parasurfing scene then he might get the jury's sympathy and a verdict of justifiable homicide would be guaranteed.
  • RC7RC7
    BAIN123 wrote:

No. Youre either with us or against us Bain. Theres no grey area in this instance.
    RC7 wrote:

Old Oscar's defence does seem a bit thin. I reckon if he said she was a fan of the DAD parasurfing scene then he might get the jury's sympathy and a verdict of justifiable homicide would be guaranteed.

How gloriously apt would it be if it turned out she put the TV on at the very moment Brosnan launches himself from the wave. Cue mayhem.