Is a black James Bond inevitable ?

Comments

• I think Dalton and Hedison were the best Bond/Felix combo. Unlike lots of the others, I really bought into the fact that they were friends.
    echo wrote:
    Bond is defined by his nationality, not his race.
    I think the subject has been kicked to death enough now. Your comment will not add anything new to this debate, only ignite it again.

Maybe we should all quit this thread now while we are ahead.....

:)>-
  • Yeah I've said my piece more than enough times, so I'll bow out now.
  • RC7RC7
    I think Dalton and Hedison were the best Bond/Felix combo. Unlike lots of the others, I really bought into the fact that they were friends.

Yeah probably the best, although the story helped.
    RC7 wrote:
    I think Dalton and Hedison were the best Bond/Felix combo. Unlike lots of the others, I really bought into the fact that they were friends.

Yeah probably the best, although the story helped.
    The 3 of us finally agree on something......

:-O
  • I have a question for the "Fleming purists" on here...

In the novels, Bond says that homosexuality was caused by giving women the vote. Do you demand that Craig say this in the next Bond film? And not as a way of winding someone up, but as a truly held personal belief? Because if you don't want to see that with the same fervor that you say that Bond must be white then you aren't really a Fleming purist. You're already picking and choosing what is important to you among everything that Fleming wrote about Bond.

What about Bond describing Asians as "one step above apes" on the evolutionary scale? Again, a "Fleming purist" will want to see this.

Even those of us who love Fleming choose to disregard or throw away some of the characteristics that Fleming gave Bond. And the Bond of the movies is incredibly far removed from the Bond of the books anyway. As I said in another thread, as long as Bond is British (because his nationality is his identifying feature) then I have no problem whether the actor who plays him is black. A British, black Bond in 2013 can do everything that a white, British Bond could do in the 1960s when the films started.
    I have a question for the "Fleming purists" on here...

In the novels, Bond says that homosexuality was caused by giving women the vote. Do you demand that Craig say this in the next Bond film? And not as a way of winding someone up, but as a truly held personal belief? Because if you don't want to see that with the same fervor that you say that Bond must be white then you aren't really a Fleming purist. You're already picking and choosing what is important to you among everything that Fleming wrote about Bond.

What about Bond describing Asians as "one step above apes" on the evolutionary scale? Again, a "Fleming purist" will want to see this.

Even those of us who love Fleming choose to disregard or throw away some of the characteristics that Fleming gave Bond. .
    Very good question, and one that I am finding difficult to answer. Yes, I want my Bond on screen to resemble the character of the novels, but to what extent? Probably what Dalton and Craig have given us so far. That level I'm happy with.

To take it one step further, and truly mimic every single characteristic that Fleming wrote, and I don't think Bond would be as appealing anymore to audiences. On the contary, they'd be disappearing in droves!

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Cheers!
    In the novels, Bond says that homosexuality was caused by giving women the vote.
    Umm, I don't really remember that- did Bond say it in a satirical way? If not, then more fodder for Bond changing with the times IMO.
  • chrisisall wrote:
    In the novels, Bond says that homosexuality was caused by giving women the vote.
    Umm, I don't really remember that- did Bond say it in a satirical way? If not, then more fodder for Bond changing with the times IMO.

It's in GF IIRC and yes, he means it sincerely.
  • Data_ThiefData_Thief Banned
    edited January 2013 Posts: 75
    RC7 you're misinterpreting Willy's last post. he simply said the movies still carry the Fleming-Esque formula , not genuinely as Fleming intended, but at a lighter level. Making bond black would simply destroy all of the Fleming-esque and all history of the franchise. come on dude,

opening PTS for black bond -

Bond is having a barbeque in Regency park, and is grilling some burgers, and is wearing a du-rag. Gets phone call on his cell phone from M, "Bond we need you now!
    Bond "Yo old man im grillin some burgers now, I'll be in later.
    M "BOND I'M TIRED OF YOUR ATTITUDE! "
    Bond "Oh it's cuz I'm black right !
    M "YOUE FIRED ".
    Bond "Good, I make more money selling drugs anyway dawg"
    M "GOODBYE"

Bond continues to grill his burgers, turns his stereo up and smokes a blunt, Nearby cops smell the scent of marijuana and arrest Bond.

While Bond is on jail he uses his one call and calls M

Bond "I'M SORRY M I NEED HELP, CAN YOU GET ME OUT OF JAIL , CAN I HAVE MY JOB BACK! PLEASE BOSS".

M "Yes Bond, I will request for your release, but only on one condition, tell me where you get you're weed from, Moneypenny here was telling me you're weed is amazing , can you hook me up 007 ?"

Bond "For sure Dawg, now get me outa this place ".

M "Also Bond, this is embarrassing to ask, but Moneypenny told me your umm, private parts , is very large, is that because you're black or are you using pills? because lately my wife had been complaining about my size ".

Bond "IT'S ALL NATURAL BRO

M "thats what I thought".

hangsup
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 3,279
    chrisisall wrote:
    Cheers!

Fleming often wrote things like this which make me cringe when I read them now. He wrote about women driver's, saying they were a hazard, particularly 2 or more in a car together, as they need to look at each other when talking, and are easily distracted.
    Whats so cringing about that? I find it amusing and somewhat true.

Fleming was old school baby, he was the man!
    He wrote about women driver's, saying they were a hazard, particularly 2 or more in a car together, as they need to look at each other when talking, and are easily distracted.
    Hahahahahah.... er, I mean...that's SO wrong!!
  • RC7RC7
    Data_Thief wrote:
    RC7 you're misinterpreting Willy's last post. he simply said the movies still carry the Fleming-Esque formula , not genuinely as Fleming intended, but at a lighter level. Making bond black would simply destroy all of the Fleming-esque and all history of the franchise. come on dude,

Bond is having a barbeque in Regency park, and is grilling some burgers, and is wearing a du-rag. Gets phone call on his cell phone from M, "Bond we need you now!
    M "YOUE FIRED ".
    M "GOODBYE"

Bond continues to grill his burgers, turns his stereo up and smokes a blunt, Nearby cops smell the scent of marijuana and arrest Bond.

Bond "I'M SORRY M I NEED HELP, CAN YOU GET ME OUT OF JAIL , CAN I HAVE MY JOB BACK! PLEASE BOSS".

M "Yes Bond, I will request for your release, but only on one condition, tell me where you get you're weed from, Moneypenny here was telling me you're weed is amazing , can you hook me up 007 ?"

M "Also Bond, this is embarrassing to ask, but Moneypenny told me your umm, private parts , is very large, is that because you're black or are you using pills? because lately my wife had been complaining about my size ".

hangsup

Thanks for that insight. I'll use it in my thesis on the correllation between forum use, and cognitive regression.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Data_Thief wrote:

M "YOUE FIRED ".
    M "GOODBYE"

hangsup

Yes, all African Americans act like that stereotype. @Data_Thief your a bloody idiot and homophobic racist. The sun must have fried your brain because the idiocy you spout is surprising.
    no problem dude, I'm glad I could help
    Do we have to feed the troll here?
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2013 Posts: 10,512
    chrisisall wrote:

Nah. He feeds himself. Like a one man human centipede.

I guess that would be a human donut?
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 4,813
    RC7 wrote:

Oooooh that should be the next movie
    Data_Thief wrote:
    no problem dude, I'm glad I could help

Yeah, helping yourself get banned quicker. :D
    edited January 2013 Posts: 75
    Well if you are going to feed me can you make it pizza and a side dish of chicken and beans? oh and some bean stew?

Oh and the casting of Eve Moneypenny as Naomi Harris was a very politically correct motive on EON 's part. Ian Fleming would be fuming if he knew how his character has been crapped on by mainstream culture.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:

Well said.
    Ignorance is bliss, and certainly stops me having to warn people for their posts.
    This discussion is getting off topic slightly, and as was said a few posts back, it might be a good idea to leave well alone now. Most members have expressed their opinion on the subject, we're just going over old ground, but also ground that can and will land people in hot water.
    Surely there are other areas of Bond to discuss for now?

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:

Oooooh that should be the next movie

A man who talks into his own anus, waiting for some faecal reverb to back him up.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I just flag his posts and for the reason I put "the usual" now. It's gotten that far.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 4,813
    The perfect way to deal with Data_Thief:

558629_382612291808279_2121349031_n.jpg

@Master_Dahark that will scare The Living Daylights out of him. ;)
    Oh I LOVE that picture!!!!

...uh, sorry...
    chrisisall wrote:
    Oh I LOVE that picture!!!!

...uh, sorry...
    Fleming's Bond right there.

• edited January 2013 Posts: 3,279
    edit

• RC7RC7
    The perfect way to deal with Data_Thief:

558629_382612291808279_2121349031_n.jpg