Is a black James Bond inevitable ?

Comments

• edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    If it happens it will be the end of the franchise for sure.
    That is up to the public. Would they on mass, reject a black Bond? I'd like to think so.
    think how many people see the bond films, I dont think as a mass they would reject it. there would be some backlash yes but not enough to put an end to a huge franchise like bond.

the thing is though (imho) the literary bonds image has pretty much been lost now anyway, and none of the bonds look the same at all. so i think if his hair, his eyes, his face, his body all change, why not his skin colour??? but thats my opinion and you have your own.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,350
    If it happens it will be the end of the franchise for sure.
    That is up to the public. Would they on mass, reject a black Bond? I'd like to think so.
    think how many people see the bond films, i dont think as a mass they would reject it. there would be some backlash yes but not enough to put an end to a huge franchise like bond.

the thing is though (imho) the literary bonds image has pretty much been lost now anyway, and none of the bonds look the same at all. so i think if his hair, his eyes, his face, his body all change, why not his skin colour??? but thats my opinion and you have your own.
    Skin colour may be a much bigger change for the public though then eye or hair colour, that's all I'm saying.

We really can't tell what would happen until it does.
  • If it happens it will be the end of the franchise for sure.
    think how many people see the bond films, i dont think as a mass they would reject it. there would be some backlash yes but not enough to put an end to a huge franchise like bond.

Skin colour may be a much bigger change for the public though then eye or hair colour, that's all I'm saying.

We really can't tell what would happen until it does.
    yeah i suppose, and it might never happen anyway
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Why do some Bond fans insist on stating that Connery wasn't/isn't British???
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Because he's Scottish. :/
  • Might be worth reminding people that Scotland is part of the United Kingdom

I would rather have seen Connery in Braveheart, at least it would have made the movie more authentic than what they went ahead with, could he have done it, maybe not, but he 'was' still making films and for some years to come but it was a nice idea

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Might be worth reminding people that Scotland is part of the United Kingdom
    Of course, but that doesn't make him British. He is considered Scottish more over.
    Might be worth reminding people that Scotland is part of the United Kingdom
    Of course, but that doesn't make him British. He is considered Scottish more over.
    Yes it does.

The English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish are all British as their respective countries form the United Kingdom.
    But he is more often credited as Scottish.
    That's may be the case but being Scottish means you are British is the point I'm making.
    edited October 2011 Posts: 28,694
    That's may be the case but being Scottish means you are British is the point I'm making.
    Alright, alright, the disagreement will stop. Besides, British or Scottish/both, Sir Sean is still the king. ;-)
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Alright, alright, the disagreement will stop. Besides, British or Scottish/both, Sir Sean is still the king. ;-)
    It's not a disagreement maybe just a misunderstanding of the facts. I'm just trying to help.

I'm English, come from and live in England but also British, @MajorDSmythe is from Wales and I'm assume Welsh. That would also make him British. On a UK map, we're all part of the same little tiny island. Bar Ireland, that got broken off. ;-) One would normally refer to themselves as part of their country first off, hence English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish then branch out to being British if asked for example. Though I'm sure you know all this anyway.

And of course Mr. Connery is King. That goes without saying.
  • they wouldn't do it - he'd be killed off at the end of the first reel.

however, i'd think they would go down an ethnic Bond who is British born but has heritage from the sub-continent.

The ladies in the family always commented on what a handsome pathaan TD was in the TLD. I can see this happening.

In fact the pathaan are quite fair skinned, blue, brown or green eyed and some have blonde hair but most have dark hair. In fact, with the Indian market growing and the Asian marketing growing I think it would make marketing sense to the WASP racist studio execs in the States.

Mr. Big: [to his men] Is this the stupid mother who tailed you uptown?
    James Bond: There seems to be some mistake. My name is...
    Mr. Big: Names is for tombstones, baby! Y'all take this honkey out and WASTE HIM! NOW!

And although I love the film - we really need to address some of the sub text in this film and say sorry for it.
  • they wouldn't do it - he'd be killed off at the end of the first reel.

however, i'd think they would go down an ethnic Bond who is British born but has heritage from the sub-continent.

The ladies in the family always commented on what a handsome pathaan TD was in the TLD. I can see this happening.

In fact the pathaan are quite fair skinned, blue, brown or green eyed and some have blonde hair but most have dark hair. In fact, with the Indian market growing and the Asian marketing growing I think it would make marketing sense to the WASP racist studio execs in the States.

Mr. Big: [to his men] Is this the stupid mother who tailed you uptown?
    James Bond: There seems to be some mistake. My name is...
    Mr. Big: Names is for tombstones, baby! Y'all take this honkey out and WASTE HIM! NOW!

And although I love the film - we really need to address some of the sub text in this film and say sorry for it.
    agreed. im black and i loved at LALD, i laughed at some of it but parts of it went too far and i got a little offended by some scenes.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/12/14/james-bond-majestys-secret-service/

That's^ what I was talking about. Out of all of the actors who tried out for the role in 1969 George Lazenby was the clear standout - and not because of skin color.
    I quite like the look of Robert Campbell. What was wrong with him?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Because he's Scottish. :/
    Despite Samuel educating you on the facts, you'd do well to also increase your knowledge of Geography or at the very least study the world map.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    To answer the question: As long as the world doesn't end in the next century- yes.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    im black and i loved at LALD, i laughed at some of it but parts of it went too far and i got a little offended by some scenes.
    Really @thelivingroyale? What parts offended you? Is it the steriotyping? Or simply the fact that all the villains were black?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I never thought of LALD as a very offending film myself, except towards women. ;;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I never thought of LALD as a very offending film myself, except towards women. ;;)
    That's because you have no heart... lost after so many horror films viewings.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2011 Posts: 23,551
    That is correct, sir, I have no heart. However, it doesn't come from watching all the horror. It's a direct result of modding this place X_X . I remember when I was recruited. First, they stick a needle in your brains, then ...
    CAN WE JUST KILL THIS THREAD ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!!
  • I love this thread B-)

Colored James Bond, awesome idea that, but one for the future, we've keep it white and British for the most part and I'd be in favor of keeping in familiar waters
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 3,279
    I love this thread B-)

Colored James Bond, awesome idea that, but one for the future, we've keep it white and British for the most part and I'd be in favor of keeping in familiar waters

Anyone who wants a black Bond obviously doesn't really understand the character that Fleming wrote in the first place, and sees Bond as a generic action spy hero who beds women and likes fast cars, nothing more, nothing less.

If Bond was a basic character like this, then yes, he could be played by a black actor, a Chinese actor, an Indian actor, no problem.
  • Well think of it this way. James Bond's father was Scottish and his mother was Swiss. How could he possibly be black? That doesn't make any sense. That makes as much sense as Charlton Heston playing Moses.
    Felix being black is fine. I don't know of Felix's background, but it's Jefferey Wright, so who cares?
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    But felix becoming a black man is not so much important as making Bond black.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 3,279
    Well think of it this way. James Bond's father was Scottish and his mother was Swiss. How could he possibly be black? That doesn't make any sense.
    Exactly!
    The people who are wanting a black Bond don't really care for the character. They just want to see a generic action spy flick with a generic action hero that could be played by any kind of actor from any kind of race.

Had Bond started and remained this way, I doubt he would have lasted 50 years at the cinema. Audiences would have been bored after a while. He would have fallen by the wayside a long time ago, just another John McClane, Frank Bullitt, Rambo, Cobra, Martin Riggs, Jason Bourne, Harry Tasker, etc.

Part of the fascination of Bond is with the essence of the character, who is an upper class British snob at heart, who has very refined tastes and is slightly stuck in an Imperialist past, who thinks the British Empire still reigns supreme.

All the actors who have played Bond have managed to keep this chore essence. Take that away, and you have just another generic action hero, which is ten-a-penny in Hollywood, and usually short-lived.

James Bond can't be black, sorry.
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    edited January 2013 Posts: 259
    I'm not sure about having a Black Bond, but then again we just saw a Black Felix Leiter and a black Moneypenny although no one making a big deal. Then again for anyone that is familiar with Nick Fury:

Nickfuryshield.jpg

He was white in the comic book and he was played by David Hasselhoff in the 1998 TV film:

N_Fury.jpg

Then couple of years later, Samuel L Jackson ended up playing as Nick Fury for Iron Man and subsequent Marvel film:

Nick-fury-2.jpeg

Even the Ultimate Nick Fury comic book has him being black and based off of Sam Jackson look, he's no longer white like his previous incarnation:

UltimateNickFury.jpg

I've never heard any major complaint or criticism over Nick Fury being black despite him being white when he was first created. I never heard any complaint about Kingpin from Daredevil being black despite being white in the original comic book:

Kingpinm.png

Dunkenkingpin.png

I'm not pushing a campaign to have a Black Bond but I'm not sure if the world is ready for a non-white Bond, I don't see people making a big deal out of a Black Felix Leiter, or a Black Moneypenny and I don't see people attacking Marvel for "blackwashing" Kingpin and Nick Fury.

If a Black Bond is inevitable, then How are we supposed to explain to the audience how Bond became Black that means rewriting James' parent history , Andrew Bond (Bond father) is now what, a British Nigerian or Jamaican and his mother, Monique Delacroix is now what a Swiss-born African whose parent immigrated to Switzerland from a french speaking African country (Mali, Ivory Coast, Madagascar, Zaire) or Haiti:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_immigrants_to_Switzerland

Is this even a plausible black Bond parent history, and also if Bond turn black, that's going to stir up some race joke like one person would say "oh I'm sure a black Bond would really please the girl with his big "you know what'" and another person say "the Bond girl will love Bond's big...."

My take on a Black Bond, I'm not sure.

Also why are people attacking on Black Bond but not going after Marvel for making Nick Fury and Kingpin black, geez some of you are hypocrites.

• Data_ThiefData_Thief Banned
    If bond ever turns black it will be the biggest politically correct motive of all time in cinema history, and I would disown the franchise and just keep reading Fleming.
This discussion has been closed.