Is a black James Bond inevitable ?

Comments

• edited January 2013 Posts: 3,279
    RC7 wrote:
    I don't think it makes you racist, I know it does.

Here we go, I was waiting for this.

My wife is Persian, and some of my closest mates are black, so how does that work then in your narrow-minded world? :D
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    some of my closest mates are black

Ah the classic response of the man who convinces himself he isn't racist, but exists in a world where he would come on a forum to denounce the involvement of another race in something he considers sacrosanct. Friends, wives, doesn't really matter. You're arguments are poor.
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Ah the classic response of the man who convinces himself he isn't racist, but exists in a world where he would come on a forum to denounce the involvement of another race in something he considers sacrosanct. Friends, wives, doesn't really matter. You're arguments are poor.

I'm a Fleming purist. I actually had (and still have) issues that the current Bond has blonde hair, but I can just about get over that. Maybe this means I'm hairist as well now does it.

And if I was a true racist, as you suggest I am, why would I marry an Iranian? Surely the idea would repulse me if I was indeed a true racist as you think I am.

I suggest you grow up mate.

• RC7RC7
    edited January 2013 Posts: 10,512
    And if I was a true racist, as you suggest I am, why would I marry an Iranian? Surely the idea would repulse me if I was indeed a true racist as you think I am.

So by that logic, a white man who marries a black woman is exempt from carrying out a racially motivated attack, even if he does?

I think you're the one that needs to grow up, although sadly, it seems like you are of a certain age already.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Oh boy, If Data_thief returns were going to have a Massacre. :-<
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Has Sherlock Holmes been brought up at all on this thread? Like James Bond he's been around for many generations and has had a variety of incarnations - yet I cannot recall a single black actor who played him. 
    I've mentioned him several times here, and each time it is being ignored. No doubt I'll be acused of being racist for thinking Sherlock Holmes should be white.

Again that's different. Holmes is set in victorian England, he can't be black.
    Murdock wrote:
    Oh boy, If Data_thief returns were going to have a Massacre. :-<

Lets hope he's banned by then. If not, everybody just flag him and ignore him.
    RC7 wrote:

So by that logic, a white man who marries a black woman is exempt from carrying out a racially motivated attack, even if he does?

I think you're the one that needs to grow up, although sadly, it seems like you are of a certain age already.
    Yeah yeah. Whatever. I lived in Delhi for 2 years and still have some very close friends from my time there who are Indian.

You know nothing about me at all. I'm probably older than you are too while we are at it, although that's not what I was referring to when I said `grow up'. And the fact that I state Bond should appear in the movies as he was written is now a racially motivated attack is it?

The intelligence level is simply staggering..... :))
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    I'm a Fleming purist. I actually had (and still have) issues that the current Bond has blonde hair, but I can just about get over that. Maybe this means I'm hairist as well now does it.And if I was a true racist, as you suggest I am, why would I marry an Iranian? Surely the idea would repulse me if I was indeed a true racist as you think I am.I suggest you grow up mate.
    There's no real point being a Fleming purist. Fleming's Bond said (or thought) that women should stick to their "pots and pans". Personally I'm glad that stuff like that is a thing of the past. The character IS going to morph and change as time goes by. Heck he changes a bit even in the novels. However I'm in agreement that making him black (in many ways) changes the fundimental idea of James Bond (the name even sounds as white as can be).
    BAIN123 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    I'm a Fleming purist. I actually had (and still have) issues that the current Bond has blonde hair, but I can just about get over that. Maybe this means I'm hairist as well now does it.And if I was a true racist, as you suggest I am, why would I marry an Iranian? Surely the idea would repulse me if I was indeed a true racist as you think I am.I suggest you grow up mate.
    There's no point being a Fleming purist. Fleming's Bond said (or thought) that women should stick to their pots and pans. I'm glad that stuff like that is a thing of the past.
    The character IS going to morph and change as time goes by. Heck he changes a bit even in the novels. However I'm in agreement that making him black (in many ways) changes the fundimental idea of James Bond (the name even sounds as white as can be).
    Careful mate. RC7 will accuse you of being racist for having such thoughts.

• mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    RC7 wrote:

My wife is Persian, and some of my closest mates are black, so how does that work then in your narrow-minded world? :D

Then could you ask them: "Are you OK with a black Bond?"

If they said Yes and I don't mind, and they throw in the same argument like I did, would that make you change your mind?

Personally I don't get the feeling many black people are that bothered about a black Bond. Its just an argument designed to rattle a few cages.
  • RC7RC7
    BAIN123 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    There's no point being a Fleming purist. Fleming's Bond said (or thought) that women should stick to their pots and pans. I'm glad that stuff like that is a thing of the past.
    The character IS going to morph and change as time goes by. Heck he changes a bit even in the novels. However I'm in agreement that making him black (in many ways) changes the fundimental idea of James Bond (the name even sounds as white as can be).
    Careful mate. RC7 will accuse you of being racist for having such thoughts.

Bain just makes a more educated assessment. I find holding onto the 50's archaic and ignorant. You're entitled to do it. Obviously.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Come on people, we're more evolved than this. Many people prefer to have Bond what he is and how he's always been; White. It doesn't make them racist, it's just what they prefer. I think it's unfair and cheap to make racist accusations because people like what they like. As for those who support a black actor being James Bond, again that's their decision and no one here is attacking them for it. This is obviously a sensitive issue, let's not lose our heads, people.
    mdo007 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Then could you ask them: "Are you OK with a black Bond?"

If they said Yes and I don't mind, and they throw in the same argument like I did, would that make you change your mind?

No, noone would make me change my mind on this. I've always enjoyed the books more than the movies anyway. I hold them in far higher regard than the movies. I had issues with Craig been chosen as Bond because he had blonde hair, FFS. It is still a gripe I have with Craig as Bond, but I can just about live with it.

Secondary characters don't bother me as much, because I feel the way Bond has existed is modernising the world Bond lives in, but keeping the essence of the character the same way he was in 1952. It's worked so well this far. Why would you start tampering with it now?

• BAIN123 wrote:
    Personally I don't get the feeling many black people are that bothered about a black Bond. Its just an argument designed to rattle a few cages.

I'm black and like I said, I'd have no problem with it happening as long as he made a good Bond. If it never happens that'd be fine too.

Either way it doesn't bother me as long as if a black actor is chosen, he plays the part well.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Come on people, we're more evolved than this. Many people prefer to have Bond what he is and how he's always been; White. It doesn't make them racist, it's just what they prefer. I think it's unfair and cheap to make racist accusations because people like what they like. As for those who support a black actor being James Bond, again that's their decision and no one here is attacking them for it. This is obviously a sensitive issue, let's not lose our heads, people.
    I'm not attacking anyone for wanting a black Bond. I'm debating the subject.

But now RC7 has started calling me a racist, he has started a fight with me now. He has drawn first blood, thrown the first punch, as it were.

As far as I see it now, this person owes me an apology. If not I'll be making an official complaint to the mods about him.

doubleoego wrote:
    I'm not attacking anyone for wanting a black Bond. I'm debating the subject.

But now RC7 has started calling me a racist, he has started a fight with me now. He has drawn first blood, thrown the first punch, as it were.

As far as I see it now, this person owes me an apology. If not I'll be making an official complaint to the mods about him.

Mate, I didn't say you were attacking anyone. If anything I said that those who want a black James Bond are not being attacked for their views at all and that it's unfair to call those who want Bond to remain white, racists.
  • RC7RC7

You're right, I was wrong to call you a racist, it was a step too far.

This thread has annoyed me because there are a lot of borderline racist comments, the author's of which, seem really nonchalant. There's a wider conversation here, punctuated by a few random racist interjections.
    edit
    RC7 wrote:

You're right, I was wrong to call you a racist, it was a step too far.

This thread has annoyed me because there are a lot of borderline racist comments, the author's of which, seem really nonchalant. There's a wider conversation here, punctuated by a few random racist interjections.
    The very nature of discussing fictional characters skin colours is treading on sensitive territory, I'm aware of that. I just don't like being accused of being racist because I want Bond to appear as Fleming wrote him.

And the fact that you mocked me further when I told you I have close mates who are from different ethnic backgrounds, and I'm married to an Iranian.

If you knew me, I'm about as far removed from being racist as you could get, despite my views on fictional characters and how I see them.

But apology accepted anyway.

• RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote:
    Mate, I didn't say you were attacking anyone. If anything I said that those who want a black James Bond are not being attacked for their views at all and that it's unfair to call those who want Bond to remain white, racists.

See this is part of the problem, no? Why should someone be attacked for suggesting a black Bond is ok? I don't see anyone saying it should happen. Just that it's feasible. On the flip side, you're right, no one should be called a racist for wanting a white Bond. However, as I've said, there are a lot of comments on here along the lines of 'No way', without so much as a sentence, to justify why the colour of someone's skin is that big a deal. To be fair, those people have come and gone, and I honed in on @jetsetwilly for which I have apologised.
  • Data_ThiefData_Thief Banned
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Data_Thief wrote:
    mdo007 those characters you pointed out are nowhere near as Iconic as Bond is. its a big difference. You're comparing comic book characters to a franchise of 23 films with the most well known fictional espionage character of all time. you're comparison is a joke

You must be joking. He is making Arguments, not comparisons. You really don't know how to read...

coming from the guy who made a fictional bond story starring Wesley Snipes as Bond ...

• RC7RC7
    I just don't like being accused of being racist because I want Bond to appear as Fleming wrote him.

Yeah, I apologise for this. A lot of the comments in here are racist, I shouldn't have aimed my disgust at you personally.
    And the fact that you mocked me further when I told you I have close mates who are from different ethnic backgrounds, and I'm married to an Iranian.

In the UK, the argument of 'I have gay friends/black friends' is always considered the worst form of justification. Although ironically that is not me 'justifying' why I said it, just informing.
  • Data_ThiefData_Thief Banned
    Okay a black bond?

how about a bad boys 3 , but not starring will Smith or Martin Lawrence, but two white actors?

or how about a prequel to Training Day but a white actor replacing Denzel Washington ?

or how about a new Friday movie having a chubby white guy replace ice cube?

or how about a new shaft starring a white actor?

• edited January 2013 Posts: 129
    Hi all been away for a couple of weeks, my observation on this for all it's worth is that to hell with all the political correctness BS, Bond is and will always be a Caucasian heterosexual male because of public perception.

Because movies are so prevalent in the modern human psyche that is to say, once a character is accepted by the movie going public you'd have to be an idiot to change that perception without risking your box office, which no studio will do.

Classic example is Alex Cross, white in the novels, black as played brilliantly by Morgan Freeman in the fist two movies, however in the most recent reboot did they revert to the novels, no they cast Tyler Perry, a black african american.

My point is neither racist or political, it's mearly a fact of life, once a perception is realised & concrete, it would take a major work of art to change that perception.

Hence Bond will always be white & Axel Foley will always be black.

IMO This discussion is done end it now.
    RC7 wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

See this is part of the problem, no? Why should someone be attacked for suggesting a black Bond is ok? I don't see anyone saying it should happen. Just that it's feasible. On the flip side, you're right, no one should be called a racist for wanting a white Bond. However, as I've said, there are a lot of comments on here along the lines of 'No way', without so much as a sentence, to justify why the colour of someone's skin is that big a deal. To be fair, those people have come and gone, and I honed in on @jetsetwilly for which I have apologised.

I see where you're coming from but to be fair, the thread title is posed in such a way that allows for flexibility of submitting both, either a closed or open ended response. People who give responses like, 'no way' likely feel that their response is sufficient and obvious enough without having to justify why, which I can understand and me being a black guy myself, I have no issue with it. Sometimes, the simplest answer for some people is the only answer, forgive the pun but there maybe no off-colour sentiments behind their reasoning.
    My point is neither racist or political, it's mearly a fact of life, once a perception is realised & concrete, it would take a major work of art to change that perception.

Hence Bond will always be white & Axel Foley will always be black.
    Totally agree with this. I could never now accept seeing seeing Axel Foley as white in a new movie.

And for what its worth, Axel Foley was my hero when I was growing up in my teens. I so wanted to be like him. Hell, I even bought a baseball jacket to try and look like he did in Beverly Hills Cop II....though sadly it wasn't a Detroit Lions one.

Even now, I recently bought the same pair of Adidas trainers that he wore in Beverly Hills Cop.

A white person would never be able to play the coolness that Eddie Murphy brought to that role, and I think only a black person could bring to that particular character.

• I'm not sure that anyone but Eddie Murphey could play Axel Foley.

He's still young enough, why not make a 4th film to make up for the travesty that was the third one ;)
    I'm not sure that anyone but Eddie Murphey could play Axel Foley.

He's still young enough, why not make a 4th film to make up for the travesty that was the third one ;)
    I'd love it if they did a new one, but it would have to be in the Bruckheimer/Simpson 80's style, accompanied by a great soundtrack with Faltermeyer, Moroder and co.

I hated Beverly Hills Cop III. That should never have been made.

• RC7RC7
    Totally agree with this. I could never now accept seeing seeing Axel Foley as white in a new movie.

Axel Foley is Eddie Murphy though right?

Bond is a 60 year old character that has been pushed and pulled in so many different directions that any number of incarnations spring to mind. He can be moulded. My point (not necessarily directed at yourself) is that, if the character of Bond is written as it is in CR for example, but played by Idris Elba, does it make it worse? If it's exactly the same character, exactly the same history, but black skin?

In the 60's it wouldn't have worked, for obvious historical reasons. Given that there are many black people, of second, even third generation in positions of power and undoubtedly in the service, is it not reasonable to assume a series that prides itself on reflecting the modern world we live in, could pitch a black man as it's key protagonist.

I get the Fleming purity angle, I'm just confused by people's arguments that seem to suggest the problem is skin colour, because as I've stated above, the modern Bond lives in 2013 and in 2013 black people work for her majesty's secret service.
This discussion has been closed.