Lincoln: Janusz Kaminski
Skyfall : Roger Deakins

Best Editing:
Argo: William Goldenberg
Life of Pi: Tim Squyres
Lincoln: Michael Kahn
Silver Linings Playbook: Jay Cassidy, Crispin Struthers
Zero Dark Thirty: William Goldenberg, Dylan Tichenor

Well, what do y'all think? Snubs? Surprises? Good Calls? Predictions?

Comments

• These aren't predictions but wishes based on the films I've seen out of these (ok to be fair I've only seen Django Unchained and SF).

Dangjo for everything it's nominated for, SF for best cinematography and anybody but Newman for best score.
    I think Ben Affleck was definitely snubbed for a director's nod, as well as one of the big-budget blockbuster films for Best Picture. It's just as impressive to make Skyfall, TDKR, and The Avengers as it is to make some small indie production.

Other than that, they're rather predictable. Don't like how every single Supporting Actor has already won once before.

If anyone would like to review last year's OSCAR's, here's the link:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2383/the-2012-oscars-winners-posted
    I'm quite surprised for the fact that Riva was nominated for Best Actress. I think that was unexpected. Will have to see "Amour", because I've never heard of it until today. I thought that, if they nominated a foreign actress it would be Marion Cotillard for "Rust and Bone" ( which is a pretty good movie: I recommend it!)
  • Major Snubs IMO were: Leo (could've easily replaced Waltz), Paul Thomas Anderson or Quentin Tarentino (for Ang Lee), Marion Cotillard (for Naomi) and Tom Holland (for Alan Arkin).
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 132
    Don't forget
    Best Foreign Language Film

- Amour (Austria)
    - No (Chilé)
    - War Witch (Canada)
    - A Royal Affair (Denmark)
    - Kon-Tiki (NORWAY :D )
    I'm so happy, right now :)
    What a surprise regarding Bond! Big snub for best picture! Seeing as their were 10 option spaces? They only chose 9? And no best Director neither? Knew the tribute to the franchise was for a reason!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Don't forget
    Best Foreign Picture

- Amour (Austria)
    - No (Chilé)
    - War Witch (Canada)
    - A Royal Affair (Denmark)
    - Kon-Tiki (NORWAY :D )
    I'm so happy, right now :)

I hear you, @NorwegianBond. I haven't seen any of the films up for best foreign film award but I had already noticed Kon Tiki especially. I read the book as a kid and loved it - I always recommend it - and have hoped there would be a good film I could see about it. Some day I hope to be able to see this one. And I have always wanted to visit your beautiful country. Maybe someday I will. :)

As for surprises re the Oscars. Well, I always look at the Golden Globes and Oscars together, hoping that between the two of them everybody who should have been nominated would be. I think it is silly that Ben Afleck was not nominated, yet his movie is up for best picture and it has a best supporting actor nod (Alan Arkin). AND same for Katherine Bigelow, not nominated but her movie as the best actress nominee, Jessican Chastain, and a best picture nom. That hardly seems right. Leonardo DiCaprio was overlooked, I feel. I am just guessing - I haven't seen Django Unchained yet. I am happy the oldest actress ever to be nominated is Emmanuelle Riva, simply because I have heard that the acting in this film is amazingly good. Another movie I will have to see (even if sad). Helen Mirren was nominated for Hitchcock at the Globes, yet we have a 9 year old being nominated for best actress at the Oscars; don't know quite how I feel about kids being nominated for Oscars. I think Quvenzhané Wallis (at 8/9 years old) surely must have put in a powerful performance; I know nothing about that movie (Beasts of the Southern Wild).

I do hope Deakin wins!!!! Even though I understand Life of Pi is amazing.

I think the 50 year anniversary of Bond is a good enough reason for a special spot at the Oscars. Looking forward to the upcoming (I am sure brief) nod to my favorite series.
  • Is Lincoln the front runner? I've heard it is favourite but not sure if that is just hearsay. I've not seen it. Any good?
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 1,817
    Is Lincoln the front runner? I've heard it is favourite but not sure if that is just hearsay. I've not seen it. Any good?

I haven't seen it yet but a movie about US favorite President by one of their favorite directors should be a big winner.

I just hope SF wins at least at original song and cinematography.
  • 0013 wrote:
    Is Lincoln the front runner? I've heard it is favourite but not sure if that is just hearsay. I've not seen it. Any good?

I haven't seen it yet but a movie about US favorite President by one of their favorite directors should be a big winner.

I just hope SF wins at least at original song and cinematography.

I would love to see SF get one of the above but history tells me the chances are very slim. Here's hoping I'm wrong.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Multiple Oscar threads......
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    =bg= wrote:

True, but this one is sepcifically about the 2013 oscars, meaning this is bigger than merely Skyfall and for this edition only. I think we can safely allow that.

The rest of 0Brady's list, however, is a shameful display of laziness on behalf of all those who started those threads. But then nowadays, when a moderator politely asks to pay more attention on those things, or when he commits the dreadful deed of closing a duplicate thread, some unleash a whole bag of insults and complaints. The list above only proves our point. Shameful indeed. It's not about "we should be allowed to open up a thread when we like" anymore. It's about which one of those shall I pick to read and talk about SF's oscar nominations? It's about wasted forum space. It's about making an already extensive list of threads even longer. But after last week's terrifying explosion of criticism on our behalf, I'd say here's your proof guys. It just doesn't work. And being lazy results in one hell of a mess.

Like usual, it's the same four or five movies dominating.

I see that the french movie 'Intoucables' isn't even nominated in 'best foreign', although it already has won numerous other awards. And where is 'The Dark Knight Rises'?

What a joke! Like always.

Like the danish director for A Royal Affair said: "You need to do a lot of talking to get your movie nominated."

Guess it isn't about quality, but politics.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    =bg= wrote:

True, but this one is sepcifically about the 2013 oscars, meaning this is bigger than merely Skyfall and for this edition only. I think we can safely allow that.

The rest of 0Brady's list, however, is a shameful display of laziness on behalf of all those who started those threads. But then nowadays, when a moderator politely asks to pay more attention on those things, or when he commits the dreadful deed of closing a duplicate thread, some unleash a whole bag of insults and complaints. The list above only proves our point. Shameful indeed. It's not about "we should be allowed to open up a thread when we like" anymore. It's about which one of those shall I pick to read and talk about SF's oscar nominations? It's about wasted forum space. It's about making an already extensive list of threads even longer. But after last week's terrifying explosion of criticism on our behalf, I'd say here's your proof guys. It just doesn't work. And being lazy results in one hell of a mess.

Dimi sorry, but I believe, that most critic was over the forum itsself, not the mods - AT ALL. You guys are just victims of the forum layout.
    You are - among them - one of the best and shouldn't think, anybody jumps at you. Not true...but giving all criticism to the members is not right either. They are victims also to a weak forum display.
    Lincoln is a fantastic movie and by far Speilberg's best in years. The cast is stellar and it is a rare time that I feel a "big awards movie" does deserve to win all these categories.

Argo was also very good and I can't believe they snubbed Affleck. Alan Arkin should give people a run for their money.

Django is my 2nd favorite film of the year (1st being Skyfall) but will never win because of all the controversy. Christoph Waltz is incredible but Leo deserved a nomination.

The last one ive seen was Les Mis and while I love the musical, I had some problems with it as a film and the way it was shot. I'm not complaining that Tom Hooper wasn't nominated. The acting was all great as well.

Ill do a full predictions list closer to the show
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll sit down the night of the Oscars and make my predictions. Going to rent 'Beasts of the Southern Wild' soon and watch 'Zero Dark Thirty.' Hoping to get to as many of these as I can before the Oscars debut.