Skyfall's Oscar Chances?

edited October 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 53
So far, I've seen lots of material coming from the trailers. Biggest oscar chance would have to be Adele's amazing title song, however there has been quite a discussion over eligability considering it has bits of Monty Norman's original Bond theme in it.

Comments

Who cares?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Waits for @thelivingroyale to chime in :P
  • lol kind of agree with the the person who says 'who cares' haha - as in; it doesn't really matter as long as the films good. However, I'd liken it to The Dark Knight, and say there'll be a few nominations, maybe a win for supporting actor (whoever that will be). Just a tenuous prediction.
    There's actually a very interesting article about the subject:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/movies/james-bond-50-skyfall-this-years-most-unlikely-oscar-bait-movie/story-e6frf9h6-1226487390589

So, there is Oscar-buzz going on for 'Skyfall', allthough I believe the song 'Skyfall' from Adele has got the biggest chance of getting an Oscar nod.
  • I understand the 'who cares' argument, but I think its a worthy topic to discuss.

Personally I think Skyfall could most deffinantly be in the running come oscar race. I doubt it will be seen as much competition in the best picture, screenplay or directing catorgies simply becasue of the snobbery that exists to big budget even films.

However I think Skyfall has a serious chance in the technical categories, I can definatly see Deakin's photography get a nod, and possibly Newman's score if its up to snuff. The Academy have showed themselves more than willing in recent years to consider big budget movies in the cinematography categories, take Wally Pfishter's work in the last 2 Batman movie and Inception (which he won for) and not to mention Bruno Delbonnel who got a nod for doing a great job with Harry Potter. Deakins photography really looks to be up with some of the best of the year, so I wouldn't count him out yet. Adele is, at the moment most likely out of the bunch to get a nod for her title song.

As far as acting goes.....Daniel Craig is more than deserving for a nod but I doubt it'll be for Skyfall regardless how exceptional he is in the film (or not). The crowd this year is far to busy and Craig's performance will likely be overshadowed by performances in more prestige pictures. However, if an actor was ever to get a nomination for playing James Bond its Daniel Craig, and if there was ever a director who could get him that nomination it would be Sam Mendes, a notorious actor's director, so maybe we shouldn't disregard Craig just yet.

However, I honestly think Skyfall could be in for a shout in the supporting actor groups. Javier Bardem and Judi Dench are big favourites with the Academy and have numerous nominations between them and have both won in the past. Bardem, I believe, is slightly more of a long shot, but Oscar have shown a love for 'over-the-top' villains before with Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basters and Heath Ledger in the The Dark Knight, and there is even word that Leonardo DiCapro's out-their peformance in Django Unchained could nab him a nomination.
    But, I think Dench has the best shot, the Academy love her and Skyfall really looks like her movie. This years category for best supporting female is generally regarded as rather weak, and if Dench has done enough with Skyfall I truly believe she could be line with a nomination.

That's my two cents.
    I think Bardem stands a chance. He looks fantastic in what I've seen so far. Especially that courtroom footage in the behind the scene video.
  • Well, as far as I'm concerned Skyfall is the film to beat in the Best Original Song category. With the success of Adele's single, I'm pretty sure it'll win the Oscar. The next category where it could have a shot (a longshot) is Best Cinematography. The footage speaks for itself and it's pretty stylish for not only a Bond movie, but any movie for that matter. I don't see the Academy giving Skyfall any respect as far as acting awards are concerned, however, seeing as this could be Dame Judi's last piece before retirement, I could see them giving her a nomination.
    I'm seeing Best ensemble cast if that's even a category.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

It is in like the MTV Movie Awards. Hardly prestigious. :D
  • robboadam wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

It is in like the MTV Movie Awards. Hardly prestigious. :D

Actually it is at the SAG awards, and it is very prestigious
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Thanks 0Brady. If everyone wishes to repost in the thread above, by all means.

Locked.
This discussion has been closed.