Daniel Craig wants Adele to sing the theme to the next Bond blockbuster

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    If anyone needs evidence:

\m/
    Thank you @Brady! I wanted to see that Fever video again but couldn't remember which song of his it was with.
  • Good evidences, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. Especially the first one.

Whenever I think about him singing in a Bond tune, I melt inside.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 25
    He would be a younger version of Tom Jones let's just hope he doesn't faint during the recording XD
    Judging by the imagery in that first music video, Micheal Buble might be privy to the idea of being involved with a bond film! :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Quantum07 wrote:
    Judging by the imagery in that first music video, Micheal Buble might be privy to the idea of being involved with a bond film! :)

And considering that Cry Me a River begins like a Bond tune, you bet your tuchus he does.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I wouldn't mind Adele as the new Shirley Bassey of the series. She's got the voice and she certainly has proven quite able to produce the right sound. Sure, I can see her return. Craig was obviously impressed with her - and so was I for that matter. I'd say bring her on for Bond 24!
  • Freaky. I was just about to come here and throw Buble's name into the hat. Appears we are all thinking on the same page!
    i quite liked the Adele song with the title visuals but like Bassey maybe every so often, Bubles name comes up a lot and he could sing something like Thunderball well.
    heres a few alternatives Norah Jones,,seal ,poets of the fall to name just a few trouble is its not about the voice its about how famous they are.

• Get Muse to do it. Or Rush. Or Slash. Or Liam/Noel Gallagher (doesn't really matter which).
    It won't happen... Adele will not want to do a second Bond theme. Unlike Bassey, Adele has to come up with the song and I just don't see her wanting to do it all over again.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Michael Bublé is the perfect choice for doing a Bondsong. It would be a nice opposite to Adeles song, and the whole essene of Bublés music gives me Bondvibes!
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 7,653
    bondsum wrote:
    It won't happen... Adele will not want to do a second Bond theme. Unlike Bassey, Adele has to come up with the song and I just don't see her wanting to do it all over again.

It sounds if you know her imtimidly or are you just making it up as you go along?

We'll see what happens, I would not mind an Adele encore but are also open to somebody else. As long as it is a decent enough song like the one Adele did.

• Skyfall was perfect for...well Skyfall. I wouldn't mind her returning...maybe with an a bit more upbeat song.

As a rock fan myself, I would also be interessted in bands like Muse. Meat Loaf would have been perfect, even though his best years are over now and his farewell tour starts soon. But I guess he wouldn't say no to a Bond song. Anyway, would not have that public attention as Adele or Muse and that of course counts too.

I was playing with the thought of Katie Melua doing a Bond song but I am not sure if it would work. I think it could end up to clean and soft.

Btw regarding Buble... I think he is too obvious for Bond. It's almost cheesy and for me a bit too clean. Of course, it's always different if an artist is aiming for the real Bond song but I can live without Buble getting a shot...

Meatloaf???? I think his days of greatness are past, and what is he without Jim Stein??

I do like the surpremacy song from Muse, but it reminded me too much of the title from a certain other movie franchise. I think they were having a laugh at 007.

• SaintMark wrote:

Meatloaf???? I think his days of greatness are past, and what is he without Jim Stein??

I do like the surpremacy song from Muse, but it reminded me too much of the title from a certain other movie franchise. I think they were having a laugh at 007.
    Well as I said, his best days are gone. Especially live. With some help in the studio, he still manages to make some good music. At least I liked his last 2 albums.
    And while of course, his best work was with Steinman, I enjoy much of his work without Steinman too.

And btw I did not know the video and it truly is horrible ;-)
  • Supremacy was better than SF imo (to be clear I am talking about the songs not the Bourne movie). I would've preferred that to what we got.
  • RC7RC7
    Btw regarding Buble... I think he is too obvious for Bond. It's almost cheesy and for me a bit too clean.

I don't know about the US but his profile in the UK is not something you would expect of a potential Bond candidate. He sells Christmas albums to middle aged women. His voice aside (personally I don't think it's right for Bond) the Craig era has strived for a level of integrity that would be shattered if Buble got the gig. For the record I don't in a million years believe EON would ever give him the job.

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I actually like the idea of having Adele turn into the Bassey of this era. Give her another crack in a couple of movies.

My thoughts exactly! I loved the Skyfall song and I thought Adele was perfect for a Bond film. Although I think she should come back for later Bond films and not the next one. I got my vote in for Michael Buble for Bond 24!

the original report sounds like total garbage
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I love Buble. I love his charisma but there's something a bit off about him, almost kareokeeish.
    SaintMark wrote:
    bondsum wrote:
    It sounds if you know her imtimidly or are you just making it up as you go along?

We'll see what happens, I would not mind an Adele encore but are also open to somebody else. As long as it is a decent enough song like the one Adele did.
    Do you mean intimately? Er, no. But I know that any artist worth their salt would want to have a fresh and different challenge and would consider writing another Bond title song as a step backwards. In a few year's time you can quote me if you like when it's announced a new artist will be performing the next song. I'm really not fussed.
    bondsum wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    bondsum wrote:

Do you mean intimately? Er, no. But I know that any artist worth their salt would want to have a fresh and different challenge and would consider writing another Bond title song as a step backwards. In a few year's time you can quote me if you like when it's announced a new artist will be performing the next song. I'm really not fussed.

It is a fairly decent job doing a new Bond theme, and considering the amount of time she spend on it according the stories it did not not really take too much up from her time. As for being worth their salt, how many artists were asked to do 2 theme songs in a row?? That would be special so perhaps worth her time. ;)

I was rather surprised how little newman used the Skyfall music in his soundtrack, he must have had heard it way before. I guess he just lacks the Barry touch to weave the sound into the OST. But if there ever was a decent theme to incorporate into a soundtrack this was it.

We will undoubtely hear SF performed by her at the Oscars, and it would surprise me if her song were not on the list for oscars for an original song tommorrow.

• Watch American Beauty and Revolutionary Road. You'll likely change your opinion. He has a very distinctive style indeed, albeit a subtle one.

Can you elaborate, and tie these distinctive elements in to SF? I don't see it myself but am curious about what I'm missing.

I don't think these elements tie in to SF particularly. If anything, SF probably has the least visual stamp of all his movies, and in large part it's not surprising because he was making a Bond movie first and foremost.

But if you look at American Beauty and Revolutionary Road, one of the first things to stand out is his prevelant use of strong colors (the roses and blood in AB, the costumes in RR). There are repeated motifs with regards to this, and the intention is clearly visual. It's not surprising that he chose to work with arguably the best two cinematographers in the business at the time of each film (the late Conrad Hall in the former and Deakins in the latter). There is a gloss to both pictures particularly during the daytime scenes that I think is quite intentional on his part.

Also, the scores that Newman composed for both of those films have many similarities in their eerie, somber tones. They are soft and delicate, but emotionally devastating.

Mendes's characters are also usually quite emotionally unstable and are struggling against heavy moral forces. It's quite resonant in both of these movies. And to some extent he actually continued that in SF.

edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    SaintMark wrote:

Bloody hell that was painful to watch. Meatloaf is the unknowing punchline in a large joke bigger than himself.
  • @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, even as a fan of Meat Loaf I gotta agree with you!
    RC7 wrote:
    Btw regarding Buble... I think he is too obvious for Bond. It's almost cheesy and for me a bit too clean.

I don't know about the US but his profile in the UK is not something you would expect of a potential Bond candidate. He sells Christmas albums to middle aged women. His voice aside (personally I don't think it's right for Bond) the Craig era has strived for a level of integrity that would be shattered if Buble got the gig. For the record I don't in a million years believe EON would ever give him the job.

Well, I completely agree with you. It is my perception as well. Since english is not my first language, I probably haven't put what I wanted to say too clearly.

I meant, he seems to me more like a tame wannabe. The suit is there, the classical music, gentleman behaviour... just misses completely the more dangerous sides of Bond, and especially Craig. To sum it up, I think Buble lacks attitude and edge for Bond.

See it like this, if Tom Jones is the tiger, Buble is the house cat ;-)
    SaintMark wrote:
    I was rather surprised how little newman used the Skyfall music in his soundtrack, he must have had heard it way before. I guess he just lacks the Barry touch to weave the sound into the OST. But if there ever was a decent theme to incorporate into a soundtrack this was it.
    Yes, I too was disappointed with how little the song was woven into the actual score by Newman. It certainly deserved more of a presence in the movie than what it was given.
    SaintMark wrote:
    It is a fairly decent job doing a new Bond theme, and considering the amount of time she spend on it according the stories it did not not really take too much up from her time. As for being worth their salt, how many artists were asked to do 2 theme songs in a row??
    I agree that it is somewhat regarded as a Hall of Fame amongst some recording artists to sing the James Bond title song but I honestly feel there's no truth in the rumour that Adele has been asked to perform the next song. It just comes as a throwaway comment from Craig when he was asked what he thought about the Skyfall song. He could have gone further and said as far as he's concerned Adele can sing every Bond song in the future. I would think Adele was savvy enough to realise that doing two Bond songs in a row might be overkill and would lessen its impact.
  • StrelikStrelik Spectre Island
    edited January 2013 Posts: 108
    I wouldn't mind if Adele returned, but I hope the Bond producers choose a singer who is thematically appropriate. For example: The selection of Jack White and Alicia Keys for "Quantum of Solace" title song was thematically inappropriate and almost jarring. I felt like I was listening to an intro song for a Jason Statham action flick.
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    I appreciate DC of wanting to bring back Adele to do another Bond song, but I don't know if Adele would do it, I would love Adele to come back to sing for another Bond song, but she may not. But I would love other singers to take on the Bond theme:

-Jennifer Hudson (I think she could do it, she would give a Bond song justice)

-Beyonce Knowles (I love her voice and I think she could do well for a Bond song, again just like Jennifer Hudson she can nail a Bond song)

-Michael Buble (After watching and hearing "Feeling Good" the music does look Bond-esque. Is there a way Buble could do a cover version of Thunderball I like to use that as a audition piece. I do agree he does have a Tom Jones feel in his singing)

-Taylor Swift (I like her voice and I think she can be better then Sheryl Crow)

-Usher (his singing voice would sort of work, he needs to work on it to fit a Bond song)

-Josh Groban (I love his voice, it's so majestic. I think his singing voice could rock for a James Bond song)

-Norah Jones (I like her voice and she could maybe do a good Bond song)

Singers I don't want doing a Bond song (Yes EON, that means you don't get these singers to do a Bond song):

-Justin Bieber (I don't want his fan infecting James Bond fandom, that and his voice does not fit a Bond song)

-Katy Perry (even though she is of Irish and English ancestry, and she is working to get a British citizenship, I don't want her touching a Bond song)

-Lady Gaga (oh god no, heaven and 007 would forbid her to sing a Bond song)

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,879
    Adele's theme was decent, but someone else needs to have a go at the theme for Bond24. The notion of her returning later on for another theme ala Miss Bassey isn't a bad idea- but definitely not for two films in a row. Having said that, I don't think Dan's comments are to be taken too seriously.
    mdo007 wrote:
    -Michael Buble (After watching and hearing "Feeling Good" the music does look Bond-esque. Is there a way Buble could do a cover version of Thunderball I like to use that as a audition piece. I do agree he does have a Tom Jones feel in his singing)

-Norah Jones (I like her voice and she could maybe do a good Bond song)
    I championed The Bube for a long time, but somehow I feel the opportunity has passed. I think of him whenever I hear Matt Monro's FRWL. That croon is pure class. Also, good call on Norah Jones. Beautiful voice.