Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I love the bit where he goes for the chainsaw, it's not there and then Lindas body comes at him with it. I've never seen the third film but I prefer the 2nd to the original.

Army Of Darkness (ED3) has less horror and more comedy than the first two films. It's still worth watching, if for no other reason to see how the trilogy ends.

• @Creasy47 My film of the year would probably be a close run between Django, SF and The Raid. It comes close but Django's score, story and comedy put it ahead for me.

@MajorDSmythe I saw the DVD in HMV not long ago actually, I might go there tommorow and see if it's still in there. If it is, I'll be sure to pick it up and give it a watch, cheers.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Watched "In Bruge" the other day. Although some scenes are pretty graphic? I loved it and the humour had me intears of laughter. Loved the chemistry between Farrel and Gleeson too! And as for Fiennes? He was epic and funny!
    I have heard so much about this film! I must watch it sometime.

Definately worth it my friend! Absolutely brilliant! :-bd
    Seven starring Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt. Directed by David Fincher.
    Awesome movie.

Would love to see Fincher have a crack at Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    WVPoef wrote:
    Seven starring Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt. Directed by David Fincher.
    Awesome movie.

Would love to see Fincher have a crack at Bond.

One of my favorites, and one I truly hurt after seeing.
    The Lost World: Jurassic Park

I love good ol' Jeff Goldblum, and there are certainly some great dino sequences, but there is no denying that The Lost World is nowhere near as good as the original. And while I liked "T-Rex in the Big City" as a child, it struck me as overly campy to me this time...

Anyway, a 6/10 from me.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 23,544
    Jess Franco's Count Dracula (1970)

12821__x400_count_dracula_poster_04.jpg

First the positives. This film stays rather close to Stoker's novel, at least in some respects where other Dracula adaptations fall short. Klaus Kinski's performance as Renfield is utter brilliance and Herbert Lom delivers a fairly enjoyable Van Helsing. And it has Christopher Lee as Dracula.

That said, this film isn't a Hammer film and so there's no connection with Lee's Dracula in those films. In my opinion that shows. Lee is stoic, perhaps a bit too stoic. I miss that spark of menace he brings to some of his better Hammer Dracula's.

The film is overall cheap but maintains a fairly decent aesthetic for a low-budget Italian horror film of the early 1970's. It's no Fulci, Bava or Argento, but the final result, aided tremendously by Bruno Mattei's editing, doesn't quite dissatisfy.

After a while, the film tends to drag a little bit but not enough to give it a negative score, at least IMO. It's a fair bit of fun for Dracula fans.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That's one of the coolest movie posters I have ever seen, @Dimi. :P

Or never seen ;)
    Expendables 2 - the best actioner of 2012
    The Hobbit - I love it.
  • I rented The Alfred Hitchcock DVD collection yesterday. It includes 5 of his best movies Vertigo, Rear Window, Psycho, The Birds and Rope. I saw Vertigo last night which I understand has been voted the best movie of all time. I wouldn't quite say that but it sure combined the best things in his movies: Horror, Romance, Action and Suspense. They just don't make em like they used to.
    Watched Machine Gun Preacher (2011)
    7/10
    The horrors of africa.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Or never seen ;)

And these are some of the most useless, spammiest posts I've ever read (or not read), gentlemen. ;-)

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Jess Franco's Count Dracula (1970)

12821__x400_count_dracula_poster_04.jpg

First the positives. This film stays rather close to Stoker's novel, at least in some respects where other Dracula adaptations fall short. Klaus Kinski's performance as Renfield is utter brilliance and Herbert Lom delivers a fairly enjoyable Van Helsing. And it has Christopher Lee as Dracula.

That said, this film isn't a Hammer film and so there's no connection with Lee's Dracula in those films. In my opinion that shows. Lee is stoic, perhaps a bit too stoic. I miss that spark of menace he brings to some of his better Hammer Dracula's.

The film is overall cheap but maintains a fairly decent aesthetic for a low-budget Italian horror film of the early 1970's. It's no Fulci, Bava or Argento, but the final result, aided tremendously by Bruno Mattei's editing, doesn't quite dissatisfy.

After a while, the film tends to drag a little bit but not enough to give it a negative score, at least IMO. It's a fair bit of fun for Dracula fans.

I feel ashamed to admit that that is one Dracula film i've not seen, and it's got Soledad Minanda in it.
    I've got movie posters that blow that one out of the water ;)

Haven't seen that Dracula yet.....Scars of Dracula rules , it's underrated and I loved Troughton as Klove.
    Monsieur Verdoux by Charles Chaplin.
    The story of a bank teller turned serial killer of wealthy widows to support his family.
    Offbeat Chaplin story.
    New Year's Evil (1980)

newyearsevil.jpg

Cute little slasher flick from the golden years of the genre. Doesn't take itself too seriously and that makes it earn some points from me. It's no Friday 13th or Halloween but it certainly isn't as big a stinker as Don't Go Into The Woods Alone. Laughable acting, ridiculous script, deliciously amateurish score (but with some great punk beats from way back) and often terrible effects nonetheless bring entertainment to the house of slasher fans like myself. To everyone else, I say don't watch this film. ;-)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DarthDimi and @MajorDSmythe, did either of you see 'The Cabin in the Woods'? Being horror aficionados, I was curious as to your thoughts on the movie, if you did. I'm a big horror fan, myself, and I loved the way they handled it.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @DarthDimi and @MajorDSmythe, did either of you see 'The Cabin in the Woods'? Being horror aficionados, I was curious as to your thoughts on the movie, if you did. I'm a big horror fan, myself, and I loved the way they handled it.

I have heard so much about this film. Joss Whedon even got involved, right? I will have to give it a watch sometime.
    Watched it in the theatre and twice on DVD. I love that film. A comical Peeping Tom so to speak.
    Creasy47 wrote:

I have heard so much about this film. Joss Whedon even got involved, right? I will have to give it a watch sometime.

No! Joss Whedon! Wrote it, at least.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 40,469
    Creasy47 wrote:

Nah, Drew Goddard, who was a writer for shows like 'Alias' and 'Lost.' This was his first time directing. In fact, Joss Whedon helped him write the story, which was pretty cool.

If you do end up getting to watch it, try not to read up on it whatsoever. Just watch it, and I guarantee it will surprise you.

@DarthDimi, haha, that's very true. Wonderful way of putting it.
    Have not seen Cabin In The Woods myself, but I have seen it appear on a fair few 'best horror films of 2012' lists. I'm going to have to pick a copy up, and see for myself.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Cabin In The Woods was brilliant. Loved it. I bought the DVD today actually, I haven't seen it since it was in the cinema so I'll have to give it a watch.

I also bought and watched Army Of Darkness for the first time today. It's extremely OTT, and like @MajorDSmythe said, it's more comedy than horror, but it is a very fun film.

1) Evil Dead 2
    2) The Evil Dead
    3) Army Of Darkness

I also hear that they're remaking the first film. I think you can't replace Bruce Campbell, but I'll see it at the cinema. I didn't mind the Halloween remake so maybe this will be like that, nowhere near as good as the original but fun anyway. If not, well it'll be fun trashing it.
    @thelivingroyale, I did hear that Bruce is still involved on the producing side, so the film is very much under his careful watch.
    There was going to be an unofficial 4th Evil Dead film made (it would have been the equivalent of NSNA. Not that it was a remake of any other ED film, but Campbell & Raimi would not have had any input). Raimi has since stopped the film from going into production.
    Tomorrow Never Dies (yes a Bond movie, who would've known...)

Hadn't watched it in a while and I forgot how bad it was (aside from the great pre-title sequence). I'd put it down as Brosnan's worst.
    There was going to be an unofficial 4th Evil Dead film made (it would have been the equivalent of NSNA. Not that it was a remake of any other ED film, but Campbell & Raimi would not have had any input). Raimi has since stopped the film from going into production.

Spiderman 3 allllll over again... X(
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    @MrSenor I like TND. It's like Spy or YOLT, not game changing, but it's a big, fun Bond film that does exactly what it says on the tin. It has some great action and an idea that's fairly relevant even today (the media being evil).
    @thelivingroyale, I did hear that Bruce is still involved on the producing side, so the film is very much under his careful watch.

I know, and I think Raimi is too, but I don't have much faith in remakes normally and Campbell was the main reason I enjoyed the first 3.

I'd have preferred another sequel.

Dodged a bullet there then (although I do actually like NSNA).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

I also bought and watched Army Of Darkness for the first time today. It's extremely OTT, and like @MajorDSmythe said, it's more comedy than horror, but it is a very fun film.
    One of the finest motion pictures ever made. :)>-

Hail to the king, baby.